ADVERTISEMENT

Air fryers: Are they worth it?

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
Have been thinking of getting one. But I don't want to get it and then have it collect dust in some corner of the kitchen. Does anyone have one and what variety of ways can you use it? Ok, I get the fried chicken, chips/fries bit. Been trying to avoid fried food as much as possible.

What else can do with an air fryer?

Do you have kids? Then yes absolutely worth it. Fries, nuggets, pizza rolls. Stuff like that is what it's really for. Way better and faster than the oven. And if you want to eat more fried food but dont want the oil then they are good. But otherwise dont bother.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Do you have kids? Then yes absolutely worth it. Fries, nuggets, pizza rolls. Stuff like that is what it's really for. Way better and faster than the oven. And if you want to eat more fried food but dont want the oil then they are good. But otherwise dont bother.

No kids. Only cats. ;)
Simple air fryers are decent, but if you are looking for a countertop appliance that is multifunctional, spend the extra cash and get something like a NuWave or Oster convection over/air fryer combo

What appliance does it replace? Toaster and the Mike?

The biggest convenience is the speed.
It essentially is a small oven. The typical rule of thumb is that whatever you can cook in the oven, you can cook in the air fryer at ~25 degrees cooler and ~25% less time. Also, since it is a smaller oven, it takes less time to pre-heat. Our oven takes about 6 to 10 minutes to heat up, but the air fryer takes 2. For my family with teenage boys who are constantly on the go (ie, afterschool activities), we need dinner on the table ASAP, so those extra 10 to 15 minutes mean alot.
It works particularly well for salmon fillets and homemade breaded chicken.
We also make up roasted veggies once a week (carrots, potatoes, beets, parsnips, onions all together). Use a little oil and some seasoning and you can cook that up in 20 minutes as opposed to the 35-ish minutes it would take in an oven.
We get a decent amount of use out of ours.

EDIT: Also, of note, I would get one with the operable front door, not the basket type. Much easier interface.

No kids. Only cats. ;)

Obviously it air fries as well. You can even use it in place of the oven in most applications. Many of them also have a rotisserie function. Time and energy saver.

Reactions: sglowrider
Have been thinking of getting one. But I don't want to get it and then have it collect dust in some corner of the kitchen. Does anyone have one and what variety of ways can you use it? Ok, I get the fried chicken, chips/fries bit. Been trying to avoid fried food as much as possible.

We have 2 Ninja and 1 Gourmia units on our counters. The Gourmia is a basic time/temp tabletop convection oven, for light demand. Very useful for rewarming takeaway foods.
Not soggy like microwave foods. Saves energy and less heat generated by having to use the oven.
The Ninja brand are higher end with greater versatility, to include pressure cooker options.
Our favourite is our Ninja sorbet machine.
Open a can of pineapple. Dump the contents into the provided containers, then freeze...put frozen container into machine..turns out great sorbet with no fat or sugar added. Can help reduce calories..
Check them out..

No kids. Only cats. ;)

I've been looking at them too, but from most reviews, it seems like what 90% of the use is is reheating stuff. I have a hard time feeling like that's enough benefit. The air frying is interesting and several also can be used as a dehydrater too.

I have a ninja foodi xl that is an air fyer and toaster oven (so basically a convection oven).

We use the air fryer option on it the most with cooking fries, mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers etc for the kids. Since it is a toaster oven as well, it gets used for pizza and other stuff as well.

So for us, we use it a lot..about as much as the microwave and more than the regular oven.

@mcmurtry66

We like it. Besides the usual suspects like wings, nuggets, pizza rolls and fries, we like to roast vegetables. Carrots. broccoli, asparagus, sweet potato all cook much faster than in an oven and get crispier. Have even made brats and biscuits in it.

Used it all summer long versus cranking on the oven. Kept the kitchen much cooler.

We have 2 Ninja and 1 Gourmia units on our counters. The Gourmia is a basic time/temp tabletop convection oven, for light demand. Very useful for rewarming takeaway foods.
Not soggy like microwave foods. Saves energy and less heat generated by having to use the oven.
The Ninja brand are higher end with greater versatility, to include pressure cooker options.
Our favourite is our Ninja sorbet machine.
Open a can of pineapple. Dump the contents into the provided containers, then freeze...put frozen container into machine..turns out great sorbet with no fat or sugar added. Can help reduce calories..
Check them out..

Yeah... I was looking at the Ninji contraption. But then they have quite a few versions -- 11 in 1, a 7 in 1 etc. It just confused the whole decision-making process!

@sglowrider Use the box for packing when you move out.

Meaning? It's a huge contraption and an even bigger box?

That's the thing -- if I get one, then I need to get rid of my toaster & microwave? I don't want to populate the countertop with so many things as I did in my previous place -- when the reality was that I barely used most of them.

You get rid of the toaster? How do I toast bread? In the airfryer too?

That's the thing -- if I get one, then I need to get rid of my toaster & microwave? I don't want to populate the countertop with so many things as I did in my previous place -- when the reality was that I barely used most of them.
It was a joke.

• Haha

We bought one for our son because he thought he would like one. He has had it since Christmas and he still hasn't used it. We don't have one but our daughter uses hers. With it being my wife and I, we get along fine with an oven, stove top, microwave and outdoor grill. Speed isn't a priority for us and my wife doesn't like appliances sitting on the counter. We have a 35 year old toaster oven in a cabinet that has never been used. I feel an air fryer would sit next to it forever.

• Haha
We bought one for our son because he thought he would like one. He has had it since Christmas and he still hasn't used it. We don't have one but our daughter uses hers. With it being my wife and I, we get along fine with an oven, stove top, microwave and outdoor grill. Speed isn't a priority for us and my wife doesn't like appliances sitting on the counter. We have a 35 year old toaster oven in a cabinet that has never been used. I feel an air fryer would sit next to it forever.
Thats my concern too.

A fren just sent me this suggestion:

thermomix-hero.jpg

30 in 1 🤣 🤣 🤣

I happened to be at Costco yesterday and they have one on sale from Gourmia for $120 that's a french door style and does dehydrating (which I want for camping trips), toasting, as well as the other standard things. Digital readout and I like the french doors better because I can see it, and the multiple levels makes sense to customize the cooking and to cook multiple things at once. Could be very handy for Thanksgiving or a party. If it fits in the space of my current toaster oven I think I'm going to get it. My toaster oven has been well used and it shows, so I'd like to get rid of it just because of it's appearance!

Last edited:
I've been thinking about picking one up for Black Friday since I've seen a few on sale. So far I've seen the T-Fal Actifry, Philips Airfryer, and Black and Decker models. Does anyone here own one? Are they worth the asking price?
Air fryer is just another term for convection oven. We've had oversized toaster ovens with a convection feature for years. It gets used constantly. Best thing for me is reheating carryout pizza. Also great for frozen French fries and fish fillets and other convenience items you normally have to bake. Much faster. We buy cheap ones that last maybe five years.

Reactions: kkott

You get rid of the toaster? How do I toast bread? In the airfryer too?
Yeah, we toast bread and bagels in ours.

They smell up a house.

Air fryer is just another term for convection oven. We've had oversized toaster ovens with a convection feature for years. It gets used constantly. Best thing for me is reheating carryout pizza. Also great for frozen French fries and fish fillets and other convenience items you normally have to bake. Much faster. We buy cheap ones that last maybe five years.
Why the F would you heat up cold pizza?

I did chicken of all sorts in ours and it’s amazing. Bone-in, boneless, doesn’t matter. If I don’t have time to grill them it’s a great alternative in a fraction of the time.

Ok. I know I can get rid of my toaster but do I rid my microwave too? I will leave the big conventional oven since its baked into the kitchen furnishing/tops.

100%
Forget wings, go thighs and don't look back.
wings for nibblers or foreplayers. Thighs are for people who bypass foreplay and go for the jugular/full monty.

Thats my take on it. Direct correlation.

Just need some academic grant to prove my theory.

Breville could be your friend in this situation. We have one and love it.

I looked at this one, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I get lost in the weeds on this shit. Thought this thread would help but it’s only going to add months to my search process 😂

I have a ninja foodi xl that is an air fyer and toaster oven (so basically a convection oven).

We use the air fryer option on it the most with cooking fries, mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers etc for the kids. Since it is a toaster oven as well, it gets used for pizza and other stuff as well.

So for us, we use it a lot..about as much as the microwave and more than the regular oven.
Did you (or anyone else here) take the Teflon coating vs stainless steel factor into account when purchasing? I did some research in the past and people were saying their Teflon was peeling on certain models.

I looked at this one, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I get lost in the weeds on this shit. Thought this thread would help but it’s only going to add months to my search process 😂
It'll be the last one you ever buy.

Save the brain power for the freshman 5 star eval.

Honestly, the father in law bought his 15 years ago and it's still like new. In 15 years, I'll be eating through a straw, so I'm probably not going to get the full value from mine.

It'll be the last one you ever buy.

Save the brain power for the freshman 5 star eval.

Honestly, the father in law bought his 15 years ago and it's still like new. In 15 years, I'll be eating through a straw, so I'm probably not going to get the full value from mine.
There’s 8 of them on the link you posted, which one did you guys buy?

There’s 8 of them on the link you posted, which one did you guys buy?
Sorry, I didnt know the filter wouldn't come through with the link. There are 3 options if you filter on air fryer. We have the cheapest of the 3. You can find a better deal if you don't buy direct. I think we paid $265 all in for ours.
Exactly. I came here for advice but instead its been apathy or inertia due to the level of choices and confusion now.
So many boobs, so little time.

Sorry, I didnt know the filter wouldn't come through with the link. There are 3 options if you filter on air fryer. We have the cheapest of the 3. You can find a better deal if you don't buy direct. I think we paid $265 all in for ours.

So many boobs, so little time.
Thanks!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT