ADVERTISEMENT

According to Jeff Rabjohns we could get a 2019 guard

Is Rabjohns gonna stake out his house like he did Romeo?

Can jerk it in his candy striped pants?

If this is what we are cheering, might as well pray that 2020-2021 will be incrementally better.

He's either 20 years old, or will turn 20 before or during the upcoming season. He appears to have filled out some since that picture of him playing against Romeo at Adidas Nations was taken--but he still looks slight.

He says he's still eligible, but it will be interesting to see if he still has 4 years. He's Canadian, not French. He just moved to France to play for a club team maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

No thanks. We're already set at PG and this kid will be looking to jump at any kind professional paying job. He's not a 5* talent either.

David Morretti from Texas Tech and Italy who visited IU would look pretty good on the team. He was projected with zero stars? I don't see how adding Van Zyl would be a negative even if he leaves after 1 year.

Does he really help the team? He's not a shooter and turns it over nearly as much as he assists on. This reeks of giving out a scholarship simply because one is open a la Crean. He may leave after a year or he may not, but last thing you want is your scholarship grid tied down. With IU in contention for a bunch of guards next year, it's a pass for me.

His stats are actually abysmal. He's 15/83 from the field this year shooting 18% from the floor yet somehow his 3pt% is only slightly better at 20%. He has 36 assists to 27 turnovers. Extremely hard pass.

Does he really help the team? He's not a shooter and turns it over nearly as much as he assists on. This reeks of giving out a scholarship simply because one is open a la Crean. He may leave after a year or he may not, but last thing you want is your scholarship grid tied down. With IU in contention for a bunch of guards next year, it's a pass for me.

His stats are actually abysmal. He's 15/83 from the field this year shooting 18% from the floor yet somehow his 3pt% is only slightly better at 20%. He has 36 assists to 27 turnovers. Extremely hard pass.

and so it begins:

Poster 1: why would we leave 2 schollies open? We need depth and practice players!
Poster 2: Are you kidding, this guy isn't good enough to help us!

Frankly, I'm more in camp 2 and I like that CAM's approach is OK with leaving a scholly open... (can come in handy w transfers). But I also trust his evaluations a lot more than CTC and if he thinks he can find someone who can help the team, even as a practice player, I'm willing to give him that benefit of the doubt until he shows he chooses poorly. And, fwiw, while Fitzner was a disappointment, I thought that was a gamble worth taking and he still could help in practice (something I question if Priller or Gelon were able to do).

and so it begins:

Poster 1: why would we leave 2 schollies open? We need depth and practice players!

Frankly, I'm more in camp 2 and I like that CAM's approach is OK with leaving a scholly open... (can come in handy w transfers). But I also trust his evaluations a lot more than CTC and if he thinks he can find someone who can help the team, even as a practice player, I'm willing to give him that benefit of the doubt until he shows he chooses poorly. And, fwiw, while Fitzner was a disappointment, I thought that was a gamble worth taking and he still could help in practice (something I question if Priller or Gelon were able to do).

I'm all for grad transfers because they're guaranteed to only have 1 year of eligibility in 99% of cases. Also these guys don't need major work or development and are recruited to fit a specific need. I don't know much about this Van Zyl kid, but his stats are horrible playing in an U21 French division. What is this kids upside? You sign Van Zyl and then you're taking away a scholarship next year from someone like Galloway, Leal, Cross, Steward, Davis, etc who are all 3 years younger with much more upside in potential. You don't need 13 scholarship players at once on your roster. Your rotation should never be more than 10-11 deep once conference play starts unless you're a team that plays a 40 minute full court press. But you look at teams like Virginia, Villanova, etc who have all recently been national champions they run a 7-9 man rotation. They don't use all 13 scholarship players because you don't need 13 scholarship players on your roster at any one given time. There just isn't enough available playing time for this to be practical.

Reactions: birdforbogey
and so it begins:

A practice player is fine as long as they know their role and don't whine about playing. It can be a good use of a scholarship if the rest of your team is solid. Archie has mentioned many times about having too many players on the bench and the risk they will cause drama about PT. Priller was a player that had walk on talent and seemed to understand that. He had a bigger body than you usually see walk on. He didn't challenge anyone to be a better player, but hopefully he provided some worth to the scout team.

I remember when we would bring in a football player to practice with the team and let them play in a game or two. Is there a tight end or lineman that could play on the scout team without injuring our players?

Reactions: kkott
so many authoritative opinions about a player no one here ever heard about until 5 minutes ago. smh

What does this kid bring to the table that is going to help IU next year and is worth taking away a future scholarship? How about you start there. If no one has ever heard of this kids until 5 minutes ago that's probably your first sign he's a reach.

What does this kid bring to the table that is going to help IU next year and is worth taking away a future scholarship? How about you start there. If no one has ever heard of this kids until 5 minutes ago that's probably your first sign he's a reach.
how would i know? just like you, i have never seen him play. i'll leave it to coach miller to decide. a "sign" why i haven't heard of him could be because he is playing on the other side of the planet. just maybe

Last edited:
how would i know? just like you, i have never seen him play. i'll leave it to coach miller to decide. a sign why i haven't heard of him could be because he is playing on the other side of the planet. just maybe

He played in the states at Huntington Prep and had one offer coming out of high school and that was from Marshall whose campus is located on the same street that Van Zyl played college ball. I'll pass.

Just a FYI. He was injured this year and missed nearly the entire season, but played injured in a handful of games.

are you sure you really know? I know you found stats.... but what are they for and how complete? What was the level of competition? Maybe you follow French bball more than I'm guessing you do, but how certain are you you are seeing complete stats for last season for him and what the level of comp was?

and as far as what you said about uva and 'nova, again, are you certain they aren't using all 13 schollies? Regardless of rotation, it appears to me most schools generally use all 13 slots for depth, player development, etc... Just because they may only use a 8-9 man rotation, certainly doesn't mean they aren't using all 13 schollies, and unless you've actually verified that, I would guess that they are.

so many authoritative opinions about a player no one here ever heard about until 5 minutes ago. smh
The problem is nobody ever heard of him and his only offer before was from Marshall. At this point why not take the risk given we cannot get anyone else to come but I would not expect to be some sort of impact player.

Just a FYI. He was injured this year and missed nearly the entire season, but played injured in a handful of games.

What about last year? Shot under 30% from the field as well. Bottom line, he should have graduated high school 2 years ago. He’s 20 years old already and hasn’t been offered any decent scholarship from anybody else. In my opinion, not worth the risk of mortgaging a scholarship down the road. I’ll pass.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Austin-Van-Zyl/Summary/120534

Far be it from me to question what you say, but these are his stats from the 2017 Adidas Nations tourney and two seasons with the U21 club in France (2017/18 and 2018/19). Unless the kid was playing hurt over the course of 2 plus years and seasons, his production doesn't scream D1 talent. On the surface, I don't see what there is to gain adding him over an instate walk on, JUCO or grad transfer. I could be wrong.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Austin-Van-Zyl/Summary/120534

Far be it from me to question what you say, but these are his stats from the 2017 Adidas Nations tourney and two seasons with the U21 club in France (2017/18 and 2018/19). Unless the kid was playing hurt over the course of 2 plus years and seasons, his production doesn't scream D1 talent. On the surface, I don't see what there is to gain adding him over an instate walk on, JUCO or grad transfer. I could be wrong.

I was just giving context if you're considering his past season stats. He missed like 25 games.

He played in the states at Huntington Prep and had one offer coming out of high school and that was from Marshall whose campus is located on the same street that Van Zyl played college ball. I'll pass.
congratulations on knowing how google works. i'll say it again, you still have never watched him play. although you know your way around the stats tables, you are not qualified to evaluate talent

The problem is nobody ever heard of him and his only offer before was from Marshall. At this point why not take the risk given we cannot get anyone else to come but I would not expect to be some sort of impact player.
i don't care if miller offers him or not. i'll trust he can evaluate talent better than we can. of course, there was fitzner. and forrester

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT