ADVERTISEMENT

99%

That's where my meager little portfolio is sitting compared to its Jan 2022 high.

Thanks Joe.
He has been great for my portfolio. It’s up 40% since the Bitcoin ETF launch. While we’re at it, thank you to FDR, Johnson, Carter, Obama, every other Democrat, RINOs, and shit conservatives. Bitcoin wouldn’t have been invented if all of you weren’t f#cking selfish assholes. Love snarlcakes.

That's where my meager little portfolio is sitting compared to its Jan 2022 high.

Thanks Joe.
Meaning you are 1% down from jan22' ? WTF do you have it invested in? Anyone managing it, or just you? Didn't you say you got ~$100k about 20 yrs ago? If so that should be ~$600k now. with no with drawlls of course.

Meaning you are 1% down from jan22' ? WTF do you have it invested in? Anyone managing it, or just you? Didn't you say you got ~$100k about 20 yrs ago? If so that should be ~$600k now. with no with drawlls of course.

No, that's not the case. Not that much and not that long ago. I did well until 22 (bottomed out at around 80% of the high) and have been climbing back slowly every since.

Reactions: BradStevens
No, that's not the case. Not that much and not that long ago. I did well until 22 (bottomed out at around 80% of the high) and have been climbing back slowly every since.
That doesn't sound right. What do you have it invested in? CD's? Obviously what damage that's done is done, but maybe it's time to invest in different things?
My mom got a "decent" buy out from IU about 15 yrs ago. Her investment criteria is 1) I have to know the investment person and meet face to face and 2) I only trust .9% CD's.
Ice cube chance in hell changing her mind. Meanwhile, just 4 months ago I was FINALLY able to talk dad into putting a little bit in a 5.5% HYSA. It just grows and Mom, hell bent, says NOPE don't trust it.
SO, you invested in the folgers can with a sandy soil wrap around?

That doesn't sound right. What do you have it invested in? CD's? Obviously what damage that's done is done, but maybe it's time to invest in different things?

I'm obviously not explaining myself well and I'm not going to embarrass myself with the actual numbers. I'm just pointing out that without any additional contributions or any withdrawals, I'm essentially back to where I was in Jan 22 when my stuff was at its highest value.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Thanks Joe.
So... 99% of their highest share price in Jan. 2022 is all?

No dividends? No return of capital? Did you invest entirely in stocks with no CDs or mutual funds?

I saw a bunch of CDs for sale today at intervals of 1, 3, 6 and 12 months for no less than 5.1 %.

Hope you eventually win.

I'm obviously not explaining myself well and I'm not going to embarrass myself with the actual numbers. I'm just pointing out that without any additional contributions or any withdrawals, I'm essentially back to where I was in Jan 22 when my stuff was at its highest value.

You are retired so probably should be about 60% stocks /40% bonds. Your equity position should have some international exposure. I would have recommended the same thing to the % you ended up.

Bonds took a whack during the interest rate run-up. Looks like you're doing fine. Assuming you have something close to this. I wouldn't pay anyone to do it. But that's just me.

What date was the high you refer to?

Do you mean the high of your personal balance or the high of the DJ average or S&P 500 or something else?

So... 99% of their highest share price in Jan. 2022 is all?

No dividends? No return of capital? Did you invest entirely in stocks with no CDs or mutual funds?

I saw a bunch of CDs for sale today at intervals of 1, 3, 6 and 12 months for no less than 5.1 %.

Hope you eventually win.

Dude he's retired and wouldn't and shouldn't have all his money in stocks. Bond holdings got decimated during 22 due to the aggressive move up in interest rates.

Now was it wise to have money in bonds when the 10 year Treasury was paying 1.5%? I personally wouldn't have done it.... But that's standard portfolio construction.

Reactions: NPT and UncleMark
My mom got a "decent" buy out from IU about 15 yrs ago. Her investment criteria is 1) I have to know the investment person and meet face to face and 2) I only trust .9% CD's.
Ice cube chance in hell changing her mind. Meanwhile, just 4 months ago I was FINALLY able to talk dad into putting a little bit in a 5.5% HYSA. It just grows and Mom, hell bent, says NOPE don't trust it.
SO, you invested in the folgers can with a sandy soil wrap around?

2 years ago CDs paid basically 0%. You are looking forward, not backward. Nobody gets to invest in the rearview mirror.

Mark will make that 5% now on his bond funds that have been rolling over from a 0% world to a 5% one for the last year or so.

Dude he's retired and wouldn't and shouldn't have all his money in stocks. Bond holdings got decimated during 22 due to the aggressive move up in interest rates.

Now was it wise to have money in bonds when the 10 year Treasury was paying 1.5%? I personally wouldn't have done it.... But that's standard portfolio construction.
I don't disagree at all, but he referred to a "portfolio." That could mean several things. I want him to make money. Stocks and bonds both have risk.

I don't disagree at all, but he referred to a "portfolio." That could mean several things. I want him to make money. Stocks and bonds both have risk.

A 60/40 stock/bond portfolio.... Kind of the gold standard for retiree portfolios is now basically back to where it was two years ago.

Yes there are risks in longer dated bonds. Inflationary risk. And those showed up hard the last two years.

You are retired so probably should be about 60% stocks /40% bonds. Your equity position should have some international exposure. I would have recommended the same thing to the % you ended up.

Bonds took a whack during the interest rate run-up. Looks like you're doing fine. Assuming you have something close to this. I wouldn't pay anyone to do it. But that's just me.
Run away from any advisor that doesn’t advise a Bitcoin position.

Last edited:

I personally wouldn't have had anyone in anything other than short term treasuries for the many years we were running zero interest rate policy. The extra juice wasn't worth the squeeze. But so many people had done so well with owning bonds from 1980-2022.... After 40 years hard to get people off that tit.

You sold a multimillion dollar asset for 40k. Not the smartest trade. I’ll gladly hold all the bags.

You sound like an Amway saleswoman. Bitcoin would have to go to $2M just to equate the return I got.

Reactions: NPT

I have two "accounts," both of approximately equal value now, and they have been since early 2021. One is the money I ended up with from my parents' estate about 8 years ago. It was invested at the standard 60/40. The other is an IRA rollover from my 401K, done in early 2021. That one I went a little more aggressively, around 75/25. The total of the two reached its highest point in Jan 2022. Then the decline began -- I believe I bottomed out at around 80% in Oct 2022. Been climbing back slowly in fits and starts ever since.

Late last year when I met with my money guy he said he believed I'd be back to square one in March of this year. Check. He then said I should be doing better in the future owing to the bonds maturing and being reinvested at today's much higher rates.

I didn't intend this thread to be about my investment strategies. I don't have an investment strategy. I don't claim to know shit, and pay my guy to take care of my money and don't begrudge him the small (IMO) fee he charges. I'm probably the puniest client he has, but he's treated me well, with his full attention and respect. When things have gone well I've done well, and when things have gone south I've taken my lumps but not been devastated. This was intended more to be some snark aimed at the "the sky is falling" crowd.

I don't have the stones for bitcoin. If I was twenty years younger and a lot more flush I might have considered throwing some phukit money at it just for giggles. Today the only extra cash I have is sunk into I-Bonds, which have done pretty good for me as well.

Bottom line for me is that I've weathered the storm and am back to where I was not that long ago, and am hoping for better on down the line. And truth be told, it's all bullshit until such time as I have to start drawing from it. So far, between Social Security and the driving job we've been cash flow positive ever since I retired at the end of 2020. As far as I'm concerned it's not real money until it lands in my checking account.

That's why I left my old b/d and went independent. Forced to do the standard portfolio construction. No alternatives. No structureds. Limited annuities. So much better for clients now.

If I'm holding a big ol' meat cleaver and he's not too tall, then probably...
Roadhouse Roundhouse Kick GIF by MetzgerBrenner

I have two "accounts," both of approximately equal value now, and they have been since early 2021. One is the money I ended up with from my parents' estate about 8 years ago. It was invested at the standard 60/40. The other is an IRA rollover from my 401K, done in early 2021. That one I went a little more aggressively, around 75/25. The total of the two reached its highest point in Jan 2022. Then the decline began -- I believe I bottomed out at around 80% in Oct 2022. Been climbing back slowly in fits and starts ever since.

Late last year when I met with my money guy he said he believed I'd be back to square one in March of this year. Check. He then said I should be doing better in the future owing to the bonds maturing and being reinvested at today's much higher rates.

I didn't intend this thread to be about my investment strategies. I don't have an investment strategy. I don't claim to know shit, and pay my guy to take care of my money and don't begrudge him the small (IMO) fee he charges. I'm probably the puniest client he has, but he's treated me well, with his full attention and respect. When things have gone well I've done well, and when things have gone south I've taken my lumps but not been devastated. This was intended more to be some snark aimed at the "the sky is falling" crowd.

I don't have the stones for bitcoin. If I was twenty years younger and a lot more flush I might have considered throwing some phukit money at it just for giggles. Today the only extra cash I have is sunk into I-Bonds, which have done pretty good for me as well.

Bottom line for me is that I've weathered the storm and am back to where I was not that long ago, and am hoping for better on down the line. And truth be told, it's all bullshit until such time as I have to start drawing from it. So far, between Social Security and the driving job we've been cash flow positive ever since I retired at the end of 2020. As far as I'm concerned it's not real money until it lands in my checking account.

Read this book.

The Little Book of Common Sense Investing https://a.co/d/87mRxoC

Everyone should. Easy read and easy to understand. It could possibly change your life. Actually you're too old but it could make a difference in a young person's life.

If there was one thing I wish I could change it would be to get people to have a baseline knowledge of how investing actually works and how much gets peeled away by the 'guy' over a lifetime.

I already told you. I bought Bitcoin at $800. Sold it at $40k. I won't be the bag holder. You're late.
Congrats on the 40k. I’m up significantly more the past 2 months. Who cares?

Stop with the bag holder nonsense. It makes you sound like an idiot. IBIT alone brought in 10 billion the last 7 weeks. Vanguard’s CEO is stepped by down because he was an idiot and didn’t create an ETF. It’s the best performing asset the past 5, 10, and 15 years. Advisors either own Bitcoin or underperform. Give it 6 months and all the old boomers on golf courses will be talking about how well their Bitcoin ETF is doing.

Reactions: DANC
Congrats on the 40k. I’m up significantly more the past 2 months. Who cares?

Stop with the bag holder nonsense. It makes you sound like an idiot. IBIT alone brought in 10 billion the last 7 weeks. Vanguard’s CEO is stepped by down because he was an idiot and didn’t create an ETF. It’s the best performing asset the past 5, 10, and 15 years. Advisors either own Bitcoin or underperform. Give it 6 months and all the old boomers on golf courses will be talking about how well their Bitcoin ETF is doing.

How familiar are you with Wall St?

They will happily take a buck in MGMT fees from anyone.

ESG? Sure let's make an ETF
Pot? Let's make an ETFI

I bought my first stock in eBay in 1996 before it went public. It was called AuctionWeb back then. I used to sell computer parts when I was like 14, made like $2k/mo and thought I was big shit. They gave early users $8/share pre IPO. Went bonkers for years. Sold half kept half. Bad move should have sold it all.

I've seen a lot of claims of the next big thing in tech. The common theme is once its out within the masses is usually when it flops.

You have no extra outside knowledge on BTC that the entire world isn't aware of. In parlance, it's called priced in. Rudely it's called bag holding.

Maybe you bought Amazon in 2000. I hope your have riches. But be careful and diversify

Last edited:
[
How familiar are you with Wall St?

They will happily take a buck in MGMT fees from anyone.

ESG? Sure let's make an ETF
Pot? Let's make an ETFI

I bought my first stock in eBay in 1996 before it went public. It was called AuctionWeb back then. I used to sell computer parts when I was like 14, made like $2k/mo and thought I was big shit. They gave early users $8/share pre IPO. Went bonkers for years. Sold half kept half. Bad move should have sold it all.

I've seen a lot of claims of the next big thing in tech. The common theme is once its out within the masses is usually when it flops.

You have no extra outside knowledge on BTC that the entire world isn't aware of. In parlance, it's called priced in. Rudely it's called bag holding.

Maybe you bought Amazon in 2000. I hope your have riches. But be careful and diversify

Thanks for the advice, but I’ve done my homework and am fine with whatever outcome. Also, I disagree with the blind notion of diversification. If you know nothing or have wealth, you should. However, people should take risks in life (especially when they are younger) if they think they are correct.

Reactions: DANC
[

Thanks for the advice, but I’ve done my homework and am fine with whatever outcome. Also, I disagree with the blind notion of diversification. If you know nothing or have wealth, you should. However, people should take risks in life (especially when they are younger) if they think they are correct.

I have no issue putting your money in BTC.
The basis of taking risks on a trade is one winner and one loser. Someone will win. Trying to beat Wall St money is really hard.... And that's now where you play

I just hope it isn't all your money. There is nothing ever existed I would put all my eggs into. Even when I was dead sure of an investment. I've got a lot of bruises.

The basis of taking risks on a trade is one winner and one loser. Someone will win. Trying to beat Wall St money is really hard.... And that's now where you play

I just hope it isn't all your money. There is nothing ever existed I would put all my eggs into. Even when I was dead sure of an investment. I've got a lot of bruises.

It’s not all of it and both my wife and myself have pensions, so I can be more aggressive than most people and still be fine.

It’s not all of it and both my wife and myself have pensions, so I can be more aggressive than most people and still be fine.
Don’t let twenty get to you. He just doesn’t have that ape in him.

🦍 🦍 🦍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT