ADVERTISEMENT

6th Circuit Says College Kids Can’t Recognize Sexual Abuse

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Case slams The Ahia State University for pulling a Penn State/Michigan State and not properly responding to sexual abuse reports, and defeats an “expired statute of limitations” defense based on the time a victim knows they are a victim. (Lilly Ledbetter - stand up and take a bow!)

Justice Karen Nelson Moore, a waaay left court member, stated:

“At the time of the abuse, they were teenagers and young adults and did not know what was medically appropriate,” Moore wrote in her opinion. “Strauss gave pretextual and false medical explanations for the abuse.”

Moore added that many of the former students believed, at the time of the alleged abuse, that because Strauss’ “conduct was so widely known and talked about, it could not have been abuse.”

“Similarly, many believed that Ohio State would not have made Strauss the athletic team doctor unless his examinations were legitimate, and thus, that the conduct was medically appropriate even if it was uncomfortable.”

So the folks who want to teach transsexualism to third graders should maybe wait for a more medically and sexually and intellectually appropriate age, when they can understand sex, sex abuse, and the difference between abuse and a frat party?

Case slams The Ahia State University for pulling a Penn State/Michigan State and not properly responding to sexual abuse reports, and defeats an “expired statute of limitations” defense based on the time a victim knows they are a victim. (Lilly Ledbetter - stand up and take a bow!)

“At the time of the abuse, they were teenagers and young adults and did not know what was medically appropriate,” Moore wrote in her opinion. “Strauss gave pretextual and false medical explanations for the abuse.”

Moore added that many of the former students believed, at the time of the alleged abuse, that because Strauss’ “conduct was so widely known and talked about, it could not have been abuse.”

“Similarly, many believed that Ohio State would not have made Strauss the athletic team doctor unless his examinations were legitimate, and thus, that the conduct was medically appropriate even if it was uncomfortable.”

So the folks who want to teach transsexualism to third graders should maybe wait for a more medically and sexually and intellectually appropriate age, when they can understand sex, sex abuse, and the difference between abuse and a frat party?
I honestly don’t understand what the allegations are. He was molesting men? College wrestlers? By performing hernia checks? Huh?

Michigan had the same thing happen with the football team's doc.
I guess I have a blind spot on this. I get it when it happens to boys and how it could happen.

But I just don't understand how a grown man--a football player, no less--can be molested against his will by a doctor and not know it, or report it, or pummel the doctor. I also guess I can't imagine, personally, being traumatized by a doctor cupping my balls for too long, or whatever he was doing.

The incident cited in that story of the doc giving a player a shot and then telling him he wouldn't remove the needle unless the player gave him a blowjob just seems bizarre. Like, really, he's going to give him a blowjob with a needle in his arm? Are you telling me you wouldn't immediately call for a nurse or punch the doctor?

I also have never been able to understand the kid who got sexually harassed by the Chicago Blackhawks trainer.

With cases such as this becoming known to the public I can see many people being examined and now feeling uncomfortable. Feeling uncomfortable after hearing about abuse cases when previously they wouldn't have considered the exams as being abusive.

Call me a prude. A prude because I feel uncomfortable being examined by a doctor or medical person of any gender. To overcome this, I remind myself these are professionals trained to examine patients with only my health on their minds. Let us face it, my approach is just as naive as the young girl examined by Strauss.

Here is a link about medical exams and how they should be conducted. Included in the article is the following,

Ask to have someone in the room. If you want to have someone else in the exam room with you, you can ask for a nurse, friend, or family member to stay with you.

The above will not be part of my routine even though I am uncomfortable, as it is simply unnecessary IMO. Medical professionals have enough on their minds without having to deal with patients fearing abuse and demanding special treatment.

I guess I have a blind spot on this. I get it when it happens to boys and how it could happen.

But I just don't understand how a grown man--a football player, no less--can be molested against his will by a doctor and not know it, or report it, or pummel the doctor. I also guess I can't imagine, personally, being traumatized by a doctor cupping my balls for too long, or whatever he was doing.

The incident cited in that story of the doc giving a player a shot and then telling him he wouldn't remove the needle unless the player gave him a blowjob just seems bizarre. Like, really, he's going to give him a blowjob with a needle in his arm? Are you telling me you wouldn't immediately call for a nurse or punch the doctor?

I also have never been able to understand the kid who got sexually harassed by the Chicago Blackhawks trainer.
I'm thinking it's something along the lines of what hoot is talking about. Some people would probably look the doc in the eye and ask why you're stroking my sack while others see the doctor (team doctor mind you) as an authority figure who (pun no intended) holds their future in his hands.

Think of it like how a child views a parent or family member who ultimately molests them and the kids say nothing. Some young adults view authority figures the same way (and probably those who've been in a rough team sport especially in the time period of these crimes are affected even more).

I don't know much about the Blackhawk trainer deal, but the OSU, MSU and UM situations had guys (gals at MSU) saying that this isn't right, but no one in authority did anything about it.

Concur. Very odd. And legally I’m not sure this is the type of plaintiff contemplated for delayed discovery or repose

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

I assume there is "grooming" involved.

Plus, once the kid turns 18, there is the claim of "consent" and/or at least the blackmail threat of "I'll tell everyone you consented" and the fear of being "outed" (despite years of virtue-signaling and pseudo-acceptance, many folks still shy away from embracing the homosexuals in their real day-to-day life - particularly in athletics).

Then there is the concept accepted by Justice Moore and the Sixth Circuit - teens and young adults are not yet sufficiently developed mentally/emotionally to deal with sexuality in all of its shades. The same college kid who tries to screw every weekend may still be vulnerable to sexual predators, especially as here, where the "social setting" appears to send the message "it's OK - we know - no biggie. "Mere capability does not equal mastery." (Or something else profound.)

I assume there is "grooming" involved.

Plus, once the kid turns 18, there is the claim of "consent" and/or at least the blackmail threat of "I'll tell everyone you consented" and the fear of being "outed" (despite years of virtue-signaling and pseudo-acceptance, many folks still shy away from embracing the homosexuals in their real day-to-day life - particularly in athletics).

Then there is the concept accepted by Justice Moore and the Sixth Circuit - teens and young adults are not yet sufficiently developed mentally/emotionally to deal with sexuality in all of its shades. The same college kid who tries to screw every weekend may still be vulnerable to sexual predators, especially as here, where the "social setting" appears to send the message "it's OK - we know - no biggie. "Mere capability does not equal mastery." (Or something else profound.)
I think by college you would know better but maybe I’m wrong. In high school we had a priest that was rumored to have interfered with students. We all knew he was a creep and pedo. He’d come into the locker room before games and ask what’s up and we’d laugh and say not that! Then laugh and tell him to get the F out. He ended up abusing a kid and it became big news and was fired. The school moved him prior to his indictment. It was the same story as all the priest abuse cases that gave rise to civil Rico claims. But none of us at the time thought much of it. Never told our parents or anything. Had he tried something on of us we would have beaten the piss out of him. But how weird not to tell our parents about him. To just think it was part of school.

I'm thinking it's something along the lines of what hoot is talking about. Some people would probably look the doc in the eye and ask why you're stroking my sack while others see the doctor (team doctor mind you) as an authority figure who (pun no intended) holds their future in his hands.

Think of it like how a child views a parent or family member who ultimately molests them and the kids say nothing. Some young adults view authority figures the same way (and probably those who've been in a rough team sport especially in the time period of these crimes are affected even more).
lars, your mention of "authority figures" brought something to mind.

The cases recently being publicized were private practitioners or athletic doctors not working in a hospital setting. These doctors don't have quite the supervision and are authority figures compared to doctors in a hospital setting who are more like an employee of a hospital.

As a kid the private practitioner family doctor was a trusted authority figure just as university athletic doctors are part of the team.

Reactions: larsIU
How much of this was not reported by victims or not dealt with by administrators because there was no transfer portal with immediate eligibility?

You had to ask for your release, get it approved, find another school, sit out a year, etc... Lots of negative incentives at work in addition to the stigma and shame of "being abused".

The court needed a hook to avoid the SOL defense. "Inability to know I was injured" was the vehicle.

Any port in a "horrible result we need to remedy" storm
I haven’t read it so am talking out my ass but I do know that typically the standard is from the date on which the patient in the exercise of ordinary care should have discovered. These people are old now and certainly should have known what transpired wasn’t okay years ago

Occam’s Razor, maybe you just like men cupping your balls for extended periods of time 🫣

Occam’s Razor, maybe you just like men cupping your balls for extended periods of time 🫣
You think he likes that.....imagine his disappointment when he heard they no longer do this.

giphy.gif

• Haha
I haven’t read it so am talking out my ass but I do know that typically the standard is from the date on which the patient in the exercise of ordinary care should have discovered. These people are old now and certainly should have known what transpired wasn’t okay years ago

I'm talking out my ass too but think I heard there was some finding that the SOL wasn't met because the individual students weren't aware that this behavior had previously been reported and the OSU admins had blown it off. Or some weird technicality...

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT