ADVERTISEMENT

364 million verdict against the trumpster

why? what's the difference? the appeal goes forward. all it means is that ny can try and collect. if they want to go after his shit in fla they'd have to record it there. my guess is that collecting from trump will be a mess with his web of entities, trusts, etc. and if they collect and it gets reduced by the appeals court they have to reimburse him. they may just wait anyway
Won't a recorded judgment likely be an event of default under his loan documents?

NY may not be the only creditor Trump should worry about.

To be honest, that rule doesn't sit well with me. Too easily leads to a hypothetical case where someone is stuck with an unjust judgment because they lack funding.
You're not wrong.

But I think that rule is instead directed against a losing defendant who (1) first delayed trial for a couple years while the aggrieved plaintiff had to do without, and then (2) after losing, tries to delay it still longer by delay tactics on appeal, all the while exercising his right to spend away his assets on liquor, women, .gambling, friends, children and attorney fees.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
I think everyone should always be allowed to appeal a ruling at least once as a matter of right. I'm surprised any state would put a restriction on that, to be honest.
NY is not barring him from appealing. The rule is intended to protect the victorious plaintiff.

You're not wrong.

But I think that rule is instead directed against a losing defendant who (1) first delayed trial for a couple years while the aggrieved plaintiff had to do without, and then (2) after losing, tries to delay it still longer by delay tactics on appeal, all the while exercising his right to spend away his assets on liquor, women, .gambling, friends, children and attorney fees.
Has nothing to do with any of that. The bond is to stay collections during the pendency of the appeal. Has nothing to do with the right to appeal. Not a condition to appeal

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Has nothing to do with any of that. The bond is to stay collections during the pendency of the appeal. Has nothing to do with the right to appeal. Not a condition to appeal
So, if he doesn't post the bond, he can still appeal, but the plaintiff gets to attempt to enforce the judgment while the appeal is going on?

I'm okay with that.

It seems balanced to me. The loser gets to block collection while on appeal so long as he ensures there is a fund for the winner to collect from if the winner eventually prevails on appeal. Both sides are inconvenced.

What would be the alternative? Even in a relatively common situation like a divorce (sorry to bring that up), judges take steps to make sure nobody spends (or hides) all the assets while they're fighting over them. This doesn't seem that different.

So, if he doesn't post the bond, he can still appeal, but the plaintiff gets to attempt to enforce the judgment while the appeal is going on?

I'm okay with that.
It seems balanced to me. The loser gets to block collection while on appeal so long as he ensures there is a fund for the winner to collect from if the winner eventually prevails on appeal. Both sides are inconvenced.

What would be the alternative? Even in a relatively common situation like a divorce (sorry to bring that up), judges take steps to make sure nobody spends (or hides) all the assets while they're fighting over them. This doesn't seem that different.
An issue is if the plaintiff pisses the money away and it gets knocked down on appeal. Then the plaintiff owes

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
An issue is if the plaintiff pisses the money away and it gets knocked down on appeal. Then the plaintiff owes
Yes, I can see that too, but they have to do it some way. Probably no perfect solution.

And, how often does the Brewster's Millions quandary really happen? I've never tried, but I'm confident I could spend away $469 million from Trump's money, even though Eddie Murphy had trouble doing that kind of thing in the movie.

And, asset protection can be a thing in a business divorce too:

So, which one is the real Maneater?

Yes, I can see that too, but they have to do it some way. Probably no perfect solution.

And, how often does the Brewster's Millions quandary really happen? I've never tried, but I'm confident I could spend away $469 million from Trump's money, even though Eddie Murphy had trouble doing that kind of thing in the movie.

And, asset protection can be a thing in a business divorce too:

So, which one is the real Maneater?

*Richard Pryor was the dude in Brewster's Millions.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Encumber all his real estate in NY until the inevitable reversal. Seems pretty simple.

• Haha
Encumber all his real estate in NY until the inevitable reversal. Seems pretty simple.
I'm curious what you think there is in previous NY case law, specifically with regards to this staute, that would lead you to characterize a reversal as "inevitable"?

I'm curious what you think there is in previous NY case law, specifically with regards to this staute, that would lead you to characterize a reversal as "inevitable"?
The fact that its NEVER been used like this, and thus NEVER with this level of judgement? Maybe those?

• Haha
Gotta start somewhere.
If you want to massively increase the exodus out of NY, Cali and Chicago... This is the absolutely perfect way to do it. I guess if you are willing to "win" at this cost............... Maybe we can send a social worker to help your with your complaints. Not 87,000 IRS people. You just need a social worker. You don't need a defense attorney, you just need a social worker to help you understand your fate that the state has awarded you.
We are from the government and we are here to help, by providing you with a social worker and a cold, dead apartment that you can't afford and will NEVER own, and no way out because WE own you. and you love us for it. DON' T YOU ! ;..... DON'T YOU !!!! One must apply the lotion or you get the hose !!!

When this crap all gets over ruled.. IT's gonna get really ugly and you all asked for it. ... It didn't have to be like this, but you kept pushing. It's going to be a covfefebath.

I don’t care about this case one we or another. However, I bet the most YOU can hope for, since you care a great deal about your Lord Trump, is a reduction in the judgment.

If you want to massively increase the exodus out of NY, Cali and Chicago... This is the absolutely perfect way to do it. I guess if you are willing to "win" at this cost............... Maybe we can send a social worker to help your with your complaints. Not 87,000 IRS people. You just need a social worker. You don't need a defense attorney, you just need a social worker to help you understand your fate that the state has awarded you.
We are from the government and we are here to help, by providing you with a social worker and a cold, dead apartment that you can't afford and will NEVER own, and no way out because WE own you. and you love us for it. DON' T YOU ! ;..... DON'T YOU !!!! One must apply the lotion or you get the hose !!!

When this crap all gets over ruled.. IT's gonna get really ugly and you all asked for it. ... It didn't have to be like this, but you kept pushing. It's going to be a covfefebath.
You are complaining about enforcing a law that was put in the books by republicans.

But yet are perfectly fine with Trump illegally trying to steal an election.

I don't really care about your partisan outrage

Top notch Buffalo Bill quote.

Tip of the cap. Although I think he says “It” applies the lotion.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
That's fair. As all are well aware, I don't care for Trump even a little bit, but this case is one that probably shouldn't have happened. He may in fact be liable under NY law, but there's no denying that this case is totally political. James ran on the promise of getting Trump for something and even if legit that's not the way things should be done. Trump is doing the same promising to get Trump and all those he claims are involved in his "persecution," including Biden. This is third world stuff, not first world.

Ugly how? Vague threats aren't any fun . . .

Ugly how? Vague threats aren't any fun . . .
Vague threat? ohhh I bet you were also "threatened" by the word bloodbath, Is that you Don Lemon? It's all right there in the post. Mass exodus, weaponized gov, etc etc etc. The dem's are great at extracting the genie from the bottle just to let it get totally out of control and be used against them.
One can be a dem and not go all fainting couch with the "vague threat" crap. You are better than that Aloha.

• Haha
He did in fact sing Roxanne in 48 Hours, but the "is there a problem officers" was from Trading Places where he initially bumped into Winthorpe, and then ran through their club. Crawls out from under a table and is nabbed. 😄

This clip ended before the best part...the cops cuff him and he demands a lawyer...

"I want a lawyer! Is there a lawyer in the house?!?" 😃

Reactions: BradStevens
Vague threat? ohhh I bet you were also "threatened" by the word bloodbath, Is that you Don Lemon? It's all right there in the post. Mass exodus, weaponized gov, etc etc etc. The dem's are great at extracting the genie from the bottle just to let it get totally out of control and be used against them.
One can be a dem and not go all fainting couch with the "vague threat" crap. You are better than that Aloha.
I'm not threatened by anything Trump says. I consider that just clownish rantings of a blustering blowhard and coward with diminishing mental capacity and mental issues. He's not scary at all.

You said things were going to get ugly. That sounds like a vague threat to someone (not me) and I wonder what you mean by it.

Reactions: UncleMark
I'm not a lawyer - so I'll let the lawyers weigh in

I'm not a lawyer either, but if I owed hundreds of millions of dollars by Monday I'd be throwing everything I can out there and asking my friends to help out too.

That said, it'll be interesting to see where this goes. I don't think they came up with amount owed out of thin air. Hopefully they can show their work.

I'm not a lawyer either, but if I owed hundreds of millions of dollars by Monday I'd be throwing everything I can out there and asking my friends to help out too.

That said, it'll be interesting to see where this goes. I don't think they came up with amount owed out of thin air. Hopefully they can show their work.
I hear from good sources that The Don has taken up painting and will have no problem raising $ to cover this. There's nothin this man can't do !

I hear from good sources that The Don has taken up painting and will have no problem raising $ to cover this. There's nothin this man can't do !
I think it's more apt to say there's nothing his followers won't be duped into buying from him.

The 8th question seems to my IANAL self to be a legitimate one, but I have no idea how that's been interpreted. However (IIUC), Judge Engoron didn't pull the numbers out of his ass. He used a formula based on the values of the properties and the difference in interest rates that should have been charged to arrive at the original $354M judgement.

Reactions: Ohio Guy

Did your school teach you punctuation and grammar in 7th grade?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT