ADVERTISEMENT

2019 season begins tomorrow, what 5 things do change?

Woodsa

Redshirt
Jul 18, 2004
With the 2019 season assumingly starting tomorrow, I'm curious what five things need to change/improve to build on this year's successes?

Then, what record would you see the 2019 IU team capable of with those five changes?

With the 2019 season assumingly starting tomorrow, I'm curious what five things need to change/improve to build on this year's successes?

Then, what record would you see the 2019 IU team capable of with those five changes?
Requires too much thinking. What things would YOU change.

New OC
New DC
Recruiting
Recruiting
Recruiting

Still will predict 5-7 because it will take time for recruits to make a difference.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
New OC
New DC
Recruiting
Recruiting
Recruiting

Still will predict 5-7 because it will take time for recruits to make a difference.

Entirely new staff that we can bring in from a successful program. That includes the HC. Until IU does this, just pissing in the wind.

Reactions: IUgradman

This year's success?

Why do you assume it's just five things?

I’ll play

1. I think Penix probably becomes the starter.
2. I think Cam Jones, Reakwon Jones, Roof, Micah McFadden and James Miller become the LBs.
3. We move Gavin Everett inside.
4. Campbell becomes the FG man.
5. If it’s me, I move Taylor FT to corner and kick/punt return.

Or not

1. New OC (maybe Hart?)
2. Start selling beer inside the stadium
3. Lower ticket prices
4. Find someone to return kickoffs. Fair catching kickoffs is embarrassing.
5. Develop some toughness within the program. We are soft right now.

1. New OC (maybe Hart?)
2. Start selling beer inside the stadium
3. Lower ticket prices
4. Find someone to return kickoffs. Fair catching kickoffs is embarrassing.
5. Develop some toughness within the program. We are soft right now.

Agree on 1,3,4.

ID add:
- Put names back on Jerseys
- Penix at QB
-Tie student tix to BB require attendance at FB games, w/no pass outs?

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and JYEAH23

No more slogans or platitudes.

No more talk. Don’t talk about how strong and fast you are. Show up in August being really strong and fast.

Find some JC linebackers and DEs. Our linebackers are garbage.

New OC and DC. Both had just awful seasons and would warrant being fired if one wasn’t the HC. Tom has a worse year as a DC than he did as a HC

HC work on controlling his emotions. He needs to discipline himself and settle on what kind of coach he wants to be. He makes too many emotional decisions.

One more losing season and open up the wallet and let's get serious about football for once. The Head Coach is The Program. It's Time, and IU is long overdue to hire a Football Head Coach "Game Changer", a program defining hire.
Like who is your game changer. It is real easy to fire the coach but t is harder to hire that home run hire that we wish for.

Get rid of on your feet it’s third down.

Ban the Marching Hundred from even mentioning Purdue during the halftime show (I still have nightmares over that one)

Any player who does the ‘throat slash’is suspended for the rest of the year( that’s so 90’s)

Any fan leaving at halftime must sign a form stating they must do 100 hours of community service if they don’t return for the second half.

Ban Allen from giving his ‘forced,corny’ motivational speeches,they are embarrassing.
Maybe bring them back when you can ummmm,win half your games.

Last edited:
I’ll play

1. I think Penix probably becomes the starter.
2. I think Cam Jones, Reakwon Jones, Roof, Micah McFadden and James Miller become the LBs.
3. We move Gavin Everett inside.
4. Campbell becomes the FG man.
5. If it’s me, I move Taylor FT to corner and kick/punt return.

Or not

Commenting on your 5

1. Hopefully Penix comes back 100%. If he is 100% and ISN'T the starter CTA should be gone. PR isn't going to get much better. He is what he is.
2. I don't think we could have expected much more out of the DL and LBs this year than what we got. Certainly nobody emerged as even a 3rd string ABT type out of that group, but that's not surprising. The DBs were the major disappointment. They were so fricking passive. That LB crew looks fairly solid for next year, imo.
3. Yes....Head, King, Bryant & others look ok at DE. DT will continue to be an issue.
4. Justice had a really good year.......I hope Campbell gets the KO responsibilities. I wonder if Allen was not just being his overly-conservative self in not re-evaluating that situation as the year went along? Poor KOs may have cost us 1-2 games. If Campbell doesn't have a stronger leg than this year's KO guy he was a wasted 'ship.
5. Didn't you love that special Package that CTA had for RT just for Purdue......oops, there was none. So yes, you might as well put him at CB and leave him there.

1. Replace the AD--football has to be a priority at this level and clearly it is not, should be instilled across all that IU football is significant to the university
2. Coaching / Coordinator changes must be made
3. Ticket prices reduced-- need fans in the seats to cheer on the team (recruits) and drive concessions
4. Improved marketing -- until the product improves you have to sell the experience to attract interest in IU football, market it to relevance
5. Hold on to the talent you have and recruit like heck to bring in other talent (I will lump in maximize the talent you have)

IU will need to begin winning with consistency but until it does, the entire athletic dept needs sell the relavance of the IU football experience. However, this will only buy you a few years as at some point the product must stand on it own.

Do this and IU goes 6-6, returns to a bowl, and begins to pull themselves up.

Pretty simple, 1-5 should say Make Football A Priority

That's it, do that and things naturally start to fall in order. That means committing more money to the coaching staff, head coach, recruiting budgets, the whole enchilada needs more $$$. I don't want my football coach to be the lowest paid in the conference. I don't want my staff to be cheaply compensated when compared to their peers either.

These issues speak to a small commitment regarding football. I don't want to lose probably the best S&C coach we've ever had to Kentucky......Fred has built nice facilities with the money tree that is the BIG NETWORK, but has he really stepped up the football commitment?

IU needs a football athletics director if they are to climb the ladder known as the Big Ten East. A guy who can communicate to the BOT just how important it is moving forward that football gets top notch treatment.

Reactions: IUgradman
Yes Allen makes "only" $1.8, but I'd say incentivize that if IU wants or be very willing to renegotiate if (or WHEN) he starts winning. But what IU could do now to help the cause is really bump up the assistant's budget to allow IU to go big game hunting for a best possible staff.

Ex: Kinsbury fired as HC from Texas Tech would still probably be a helluva an OC for someone. What's wrong with offering him $1 - $1.2M to do it. (Let's not debate if he'd take it, he can be "anyone of big name OC credentials who may need a new school or opportunity and would be fairly compensated at $1M or more for a coordinator role.)

Same for Defense. And god knows IU has to do something for the special teams play that was shockingly poor this whole season.

But candidly, if you give Allen the ability to pick the absolute best people he wants and pay them on par with top 1/4 of the B10 level, he may still keep a few of the current coaching staff, but would / may also make some upgrade changes. And you put a tremendous staff around him (or anyone) good things usually will happen.

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising
Yes Allen makes "only" $1.8, but I'd say incentivize that if IU wants or be very willing to renegotiate if (or WHEN) he starts winning. But what IU could do now to help the cause is really bump up the assistant's budget to allow IU to go big game hunting for a best possible staff.

Ex: Kinsbury fired as HC from Texas Tech would still probably be a helluva an OC for someone. What's wrong with offering him $1 - $1.2M to do it. (Let's not debate if he'd take it, he can be "anyone of big name OC credentials who may need a new school or opportunity and would be fairly compensated at $1M or more for a coordinator role.)

Same for Defense. And god knows IU has to do something for the special teams play that was shockingly poor this whole season.

But candidly, if you give Allen the ability to pick the absolute best people he wants and pay them on par with top 1/4 of the B10 level, he may still keep a few of the current coaching staff, but would / may also make some upgrade changes. And you put a tremendous staff around him (or anyone) good things usually will happen.
If we are going to go after an offensive coordinator it should Mike Yurcich at Oklahoma State was a GA at IU had explosive offense with average qb this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT