ADVERTISEMENT

-2.5 @ Xavier

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
The first test of the year is here. A true road game vs a top 50 team. A bitter older brother that wants revenge for the miss treatment of baby bro. This game will determine the load on the bandwagon. A win and the shirts will be printed, a loss and Bisonboy will dominate the boards....

We should learn a lot tonight though. Is Malik able to get what he wants against true college big men? Can Miller continue his hot shooting against real competition? Will Jalen and X be a top backcourt in college bball? Is our depth something that really is a strength?

I am hoping Woodson has a short leash this year. Any signs of an off night or not being 100% locked in should put anyone on the bench. We have a lot of guys with high emotion and high motors, that should be a recipe for success.

At the end of the night Mr. Pom will be tweeting "unbeaten teams remaining: 76, sorry Xavier". All aboard!

The first test of the year is here. A true road game vs a top 50 team. A bitter older brother that wants revenge for the miss treatment of baby bro. This game will determine the load on the bandwagon. A win and the shirts will be printed, a loss and Bisonboy will dominate the boards....

We should learn a lot tonight though. Is Malik able to get what he wants against true college big men? Can Miller continue his hot shooting against real competition? Will Jalen and X be a top backcourt in college bball? Is our depth something that really is a strength?

I am hoping Woodson has a short leash this year. Any signs of an off night or not being 100% locked in should put anyone on the bench. We have a lot of guys with high emotion and high motors, that should be a recipe for success.

At the end of the night Mr Pom will be tweeting "unbeaten teams remaining: 76, sorry Xavier". All aboard!
I doubt Malik will have his way or get what he wants vs this front line. I feel like their strength is inside so they're going to make it rough on a freshman. I'll be happy if he holds his own and gives TJD and RT some meaningful breaks. This is probably one of those times when Malik is more skilled, but he's going to find out that upperclassmen who have been in the weight room for 4 years can make them pretty tough and strong. We should win this game, but we all know should gets thrown out the window on an opponent's floor. Xavier is probably going to play well and be tough and we're going to have to be tougher to get a win. Agree, this might tell us a lot!

I doubt Malik will have his way or get what he wants vs this front line. I feel like their strength is inside so they're going to make it rough on a freshman.
They are known for a pretty decent front line, and all logic would point to a freshmen in this position would normally struggle ..... But what if Malik does have his way? Giddy up is it 6 yet????

We're better than them, likely by a lot. But its a true road game, and they're an NCAA caliber team.

Can't wait to see how we handle the environment and the bump up in competition level. No clue what to expect.
Yeah, I was feeling pretty good until I saw the tweet yesterday that said we haven't won a true non-con road game since NC St in 2011; and I was at that game! Then, to pile on, Osterman tweets this morning that we've not beaten a top 40 Kenpom team in a true non-con road game since UNC Charlotte in 2002, and I was at THAT game! Someone text CMW and tell him if he can get a plane to Charlotte and 2 tix behind the bench, I'm available!

But, you know you've been down and kicked in the nuts too long when you learn 2 pretty interesting stats that add to the litany of bad streaks that have been IU bball for the last 20+ years. Good Lord, please CMW, help end this stuff and give us a team that can play on the national stage and start some positive streaks of our own!

Yeah, I was feeling pretty good until I saw the tweet yesterday that said we haven't won a true non-con road game since NC St in 2011; and I was at that game! Then, to pile on, Osterman tweets this morning that we've not beaten a top 40 Kenpom team in a true non-con road game since UNC Charlotte in 2002, and I was at THAT game! Someone text CMW and tell him if he can get a plane to Charlotte and 2 tix behind the bench, I'm available!

But, you know you've been down and kicked in the nuts too long when you learn 2 pretty interesting stats that add to the litany of bad streaks that have been IU bball for the last 20+ years. Good Lord, please CMW, help end this stuff and give us a team that can play on the national stage and start some positive streaks of our own!
You can get in your car and be here in Cincinnati by game time . . . And have time to stop at Skyline before the game.

You’re vital to the outcome. Do your part . . .

I’m not crazy about stats like this. Instead of mentioning a streak, how about our record? Everyone knows IU has struggled, but does this say more about scheduling?

How many non conference true road games do you recall? Now, how many against top 40 teams?

I know challenges (like the ACC) have scheduled some for us, but I’d be curious to see the record and not the streak. After all IU hasn’t beaten Arizona in 150 years, but we are 0-0.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava

One thing I like going in is we were very competitive last year on the road. Not many games that we didn't either have a lead well into the 2nd half, or were very competitive deep into the game. That tells me Woody is pretty good at having them ready for the tough environments.

But in a game like this, its not uncommon to see teams like Xavier play out of their minds. Just think of how good we usually are in enormous home games. I haven't looked at their schedule, but this game has to be similar to UNC coming to Bloomington for them.

All things being equal, we easily beat Xavier. All things aren't equal. That's what makes these games fun and interesting.

At the end of the night Mr. Pom will be tweeting "unbeaten teams remaining: 76, sorry Xavier". All aboard!
Lil' bro got mistreated? I beg to differ....Lil bro stole millions$ from IU with nothing to show for it. Compared to CAM, Crean was an over-achiever at IU. At least CTC was...."interesting" and the teams were sporadically fun to watch. There was nothing interesting about CAM. Absolutely nothing.

One thing I like going in is we were very competitive last year on the road. Not many games that we didn't either have a lead well into the 2nd half, or were very competitive deep into the game. That tells me Woody is pretty good at having them ready for the tough environments.

But in a game like this, its not uncommon to see teams like Xavier play out of their minds. Just think of how good we usually are in enormous home games. I haven't looked at their schedule, but this game has to be similar to UNC coming to Bloomington for them.

All things being equal, we easily beat Xavier. All things aren't equal. That's what makes these games fun and interesting.
Yes, and that is a function of our age and experience. With another year of coaching and teaching under our belts I would expect late game execution to improve. We infamously lost quite a few close games last year, as evidenced by the “luck” stat. We don’t need to jump up into elite close out stats to generate more wins, just a reversion to the mean. In other words, we don’t need to be elite at closing, just not terrible.

Lil' bro got mistreated? I beg to differ....Lil bro stole millions$ from IU with nothing to show for it. Compared to CAM, Crean was an over-achiever at IU. At least CTC was...."interesting" and the teams were sporadically fun to watch. There was nothing interesting about CAM. Absolutely nothing.
Reality and how he feels are two different things. He is on record ripping IU for how it went down.

Reality and how he feels are two different things. He is on record ripping IU for how it went down.
he's crying all the way to the bank. Sounds like you and I have similar career motivators...produce, or find another line of work. I don't get paid to fail, I would just get fired. And it wouldn't take 4 yrs either...more like 4 months.

I’m not crazy about stats like this. Instead of mentioning a streak, how about our record? Everyone knows IU has struggled, but does this say more about scheduling?

How many non conference true road games do you recall? Now, how many against top 40 teams?

I know challenges (like the ACC) have scheduled some for us, but I’d be curious to see the record and not the streak. After all IU hasn’t beaten Arizona in 150 years, but we are 0-0.
It is a small sample size, but I'd guess we average at least 1 a year non-con on an opponents floor. We're probably doing it twice this year, so let's hope both end now! Those aren't "tricky" stats like not having played AZ. We've certainly played at least a few non-con road games in 10 years! How many would be acceptable to lose in a streak: 2, 3? I'm guessing it's more like 8-10. That's bad.

It is a small sample size, but I'd guess we average at least 1 a year non-con on an opponents floor. We're probably doing it twice this year, so let's hope both end now! Those aren't "tricky" stats like not having played AZ. We've certainly played at least a few non-con road games in 10 years! How many would be acceptable to lose in a streak: 2, 3? I'm guessing it's more like 8-10. That's bad.
I was going to guess averaging 1 true road game every other year (at least for the period before playing in the Gavitt games). One game every other year in the ACC challenge, all other road games on neutral courts?

May be that Sean doesn't like how his brother was "treated" (walked away with a $10 million buyout, not "treated" too poorly in my book) but generally just because you feel that way doesn't mean you necessarily coach better, or your players are motivated by the same thing.

I doubt Malik will have his way or get what he wants vs this front line. I feel like their strength is inside so they're going to make it rough on a freshman. I'll be happy if he holds his own and gives TJD and RT some meaningful breaks. This is probably one of those times when Malik is more skilled, but he's going to find out that upperclassmen who have been in the weight room for 4 years can make them pretty tough and strong. We should win this game, but we all know should gets thrown out the window on an opponent's floor. Xavier is probably going to play well and be tough and we're going to have to be tougher to get a win. Agree, this might tell us a lot!
Um hasn't Malik been playing against a lot of experience and inside strength in practice? Don't TJD and Race say Malik is very good? Just a couple of random thoughts. Playing on the road for the first time with that crowd may mean something, but Malik has already been in a lot of meaningful games. It will be interesting to see how he does. Nunge and Freemantle are good, but in my mind what makes them difficult is they both can go outiside and make shots. Defending them and the lane becomes a bit of a chore made worse when Colby Jones plays. Tough matchup.

Um hasn't Malik been playing against a lot of experience and inside strength in practice? Don't TJD and Race say Malik is very good? Just a couple of random thoughts. Playing on the road for the first time with that crowd may mean something, but Malik has already been in a lot of meaningful games. It will be interesting to see how he does. Nunge and Freemantle are good, but in my mind what makes them difficult is they both can go outiside and make shots. Defending them and the lane becomes a bit of a chore made worse when Colby Jones plays. Tough matchup.
Fouls will be the thing to watch , IMHO. There was an earlier game where Trace and Race were whistled for zero fouls and he picked up four. As a frosh he likely won’t get the benefit of the calls.

If all goes as I expect, I could walk away ~$750 up after this game! HOO HOO HOOSIERS roll!

I was trying to say I think Malik will be good and have his moments, but I think he'll also have a few where he's running down court shaking his head, whether that's being surprised by one of their bigs making a good move on the blocks or nailing a 3. Yes, he's played against top shelf talent and in big games, but I doubt he's been in a road environment like tonight against grown men. I think his talent will shine through, but also his inexperience in spots. I expect he will get his, but also give up some baskets he'll be able to stop later in his career or even later this year.

I was trying to say I think Malik will be good and have his moments, but I think he'll also have a few where he's running down court shaking his head, whether that's being surprised by one of their bigs making a good move on the blocks or nailing a 3. Yes, he's played against top shelf talent and in big games, but I doubt he's been in a road environment like tonight against grown men. I think his talent will shine through, but also his inexperience in spots. I expect he will get his, but also give up some baskets he'll be able to stop later in his career or even later this year.
I do think LEAK, love that nickname btw, is gonna have TO's where he just has tunnel vision and doesnt see a double team. He is so laser focused on scoring Im sure he will not hit the open man like Race or TJD would. Offensively tho? He has touch that Race and TJD could only dream of.

I don't think any of our players will be overwhelmed by Xavier's talent. Pretty much across the board, we have better players than they do...Malik, JHS, and our other freshmen included.

Tonight will be about the atmosphere. And how both teams handle it. Xavier isn't going to push us around, or dominate us physically. But they could get us in foul trouble. They could shoot the ball out of their minds. They could ride the emotions of the crowd to make most of the game uncomfortable for us.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I was shocked at how close the line was and jumped all over that….. as far as all the “we haven’t won a non conference game since blah blah blah” I ask “Did we have a preseason AA in their 4th yr on those teams? 2 5 star freshman? 2 honorable mention all big ten returnees, one of which is in their 6th yr?” These stats may be off but the point is that this team is NOT like the ones in years past, hence all the excitement. This team has all the earmarks of teams of years gone by and is worthy of high expectations

I was shocked at how close the line was and jumped all over that….. as far as all the “we haven’t won a non conference game since blah blah blah” I ask “Did we have a preseason AA in their 4th yr on those teams? 2 5 star freshman? 2 honorable mention all big ten returnees, one of which is in their 6th yr?” These stats may be off but the point is that this team is NOT like the ones in years past, hence all the excitement. This team has all the earmarks of teams of years gone by and is worthy of high expectations
And a defense not seen in over 20 years.

The Eric Gordon/DJ White team got smoked by Xavier.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

we've crossed paths in NC quite a bit... I was at that game with my dad... It was sort of a lackluster game that we eked out from my memory.... May have been the game right before the Watshot if memory correct. I remember having 4 tickets and trying to sell 2 outside the arena an hour before game time... Barely got face value for them.

Reactions: kkott

We should see a lot of the Trayce and Race show. It could be a tough game for our fresh youngsters given it's the road, and well, they are young. Looking for Tamar, Geronimo and Trey to give us an advantage from the bench. Tamar so due for a breakout performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT