ADVERTISEMENT

-2.5 @ Xavier

I doubt Malik will have his way or get what he wants vs this front line. I feel like their strength is inside so they're going to make it rough on a freshman. I'll be happy if he holds his own and gives TJD and RT some meaningful breaks. This is probably one of those times when Malik is more skilled, but he's going to find out that upperclassmen who have been in the weight room for 4 years can make them pretty tough and strong. We should win this game, but we all know should gets thrown out the window on an opponent's floor. Xavier is probably going to play well and be tough and we're going to have to be tougher to get a win. Agree, this might tell us a lot!
Malik is going to destroy whoever comes off Xavier’s bench! I don’t see their starting bigs playing 40 minutes.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Still can’t throw it in the ocean from deep. Otherwise love the intensity and also the lack of folding in a hostile crowd like previous Hoosier teams. We’ll be good.

These refs suck. Missed at least 3 moving screens since the 11 minute mark. The X tech was dumb. Multiple missed travels by their bigs.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Xavier has punched above its weight. IU hasn't played badly . . . just not great yet. I'm guessing that Xavier regresses to the mean in the second half . . . and IU finds another gear.

My sense is that Kopp has jacked a few ill-advised shots up. Not sure I want him in there for offense. If he is, then he has to hit the shots he takes . . . .

RMK used to emphasize the last two minutes of the first half (and second half) and first two minutes of the second half. I get the sense that Woody listened to RMK. Gotta see the next two minutes to see whether the IU players have absorbed the entire lesson.

Xavier has punched above its weight. IU hasn't played badly . . . just not great yet. I'm guessing that Xavier regresses to the mean in the second half . . . and IU finds another gear.

My sense is that Kopp has jacked a few ill-advised shots up. Not sure I want him in there for offense. If he is, then he has to hit the shots he takes . . . .
Still absorbing
RMK used to emphasize the last two minutes of the first half (and second half) and first two minutes of the second half. I get the sense that Woody listened to RMK. Gotta see the next two minutes to see whether the IU players have absorbed the entire lesson.

Until they get 7-8 threes a game and can shoot FTs, this team will be limited. The problems from last season have not been fixed at this point. Plenty of time, but those two issues will hold them back, no matter how good TJD is. Reneau gives us more than Race. Kopp doesn't give us a lot at this point, time to see if Gunn could give us more maybe.

Reactions: go_iu
The first test of the year is here. A true road game vs a top 50 team. A bitter older brother that wants revenge for the miss treatment of baby bro. This game will determine the load on the bandwagon. A win and the shirts will be printed, a loss and Bisonboy will dominate the boards....

We should learn a lot tonight though. Is Malik able to get what he wants against true college big men? Can Miller continue his hot shooting against real competition? Will Jalen and X be a top backcourt in college bball? Is our depth something that really is a strength?

I am hoping Woodson has a short leash this year. Any signs of an off night or not being 100% locked in should put anyone on the bench. We have a lot of guys with high emotion and high motors, that should be a recipe for success.

At the end of the night Mr. Pom will be tweeting "unbeaten teams remaining: 76, sorry Xavier". All aboard!

The Nostradumbass is getting pretty damn scary folks. Who wants me to read their fortune???

Certainly not Tamar Bates.
Ye of little faith. He didn’t take a shot. Just like the rest of our bench. People saying miller is clearly better should be put out to pasture. That guy sucked for 25 minutes and got praised for finally hitting an open three and FTs.

Ye of little faith. He didn’t take a shot. Just like the rest of our bench. People saying miller is clearly better should be put out to pasture. That guy sucked for 25 minutes and got praised for finally hitting an open three and FTs.
Clutch Baby!

I actually think he try’s to over compensate with social media to try to improve his confidence. Not working.
Looked so tight to me when he came in the game. I think CMW should try and feed him minutes in any games we should win comfortably to determine if he's going to be in the rotation. We really need him, but he can't play like tonight. To me the question is not Tamar vs Miller, it's should Malik be starting over Race. I guess it doesn't matter who starts, but I think Malik's extra length makes a difference and makes us a tougher team. Race doesn't seem to know what his game is on O right now. Thought he played pretty good D on the block, but that was about it. Took more 3s than 2s?

Take away the techs and the momentum they killed and make a couple more FTs and this is a comfortable double digit win even if we don't shoot any better from deep. I hope CMW gets that message across. That's what it's going to take to eke out a win or 2 vs the likes of UNC, KU and AZ let alone to be at the top of the conference or make a tourney run.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Looked so tight to me when he came in the game. I think CMW should try and feed him minutes in any games we should win comfortably to determine if he's going to be in the rotation. We really need him, but he can't play like tonight. To me the question is not Tamar vs Miller, it's should Malik be starting over Race. I guess it doesn't matter who starts, but I think Malik's extra length makes a difference and makes us a tougher team. Race doesn't seem to know what his game is on O right now. Thought he played pretty good D on the block, but that was about it. Took more 3s than 2s?

Take away the techs and the momentum they killed and make a couple more FTs and this is a comfortable double digit win even if we don't shoot any better from deep. I hope CMW gets that message across. That's what it's going to take to eke out a win or 2 vs the likes of UNC, KU and AZ let alone to be at the top of the conference or make a tourney run.
I tell you why Malik isn’t starting. He had 4 fouls in 16 min.

It was the last 5 of first & first 5 of second half that coach emphasized as the most important.

But Bates's D wasn't very good last night. Until he plays better on D, as you know, Woody won't give him major minutes. Based on how he's played on offense so far this season he's done nothing to justify playing ahead of Kopp no matter how bad Kopp is. So Cav, when is Bates going to "break out"? He didn't do it against Morehead State or even Bethune Cookman much less Xavier. When? We're waiting.

Reactions: IUgradman
But Bates's D wasn't very good last night. Until he plays better on D, as you know, Woody won't give him major minutes. Based on how he's played on offense so far this season he's done nothing to justify playing ahead of Kopp no matter how bad Kopp is. So Cav, when is Bates going to "break out"? He didn't do it against Morehead State or even Bethune Cookman much less Xavier. When? We're waiting.
Don't disappear when he does. I'll be here. His D is much better than Miller's. Woody said Miller was the worst defender he has ever seen last year. That quote slipping out in a press conference was gold.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Don't disappear when he does. I'll be here. His D is much better than Miller's. Woody said Miller was the worst defender he has ever seen last year. That quote slipping out in a press conference was gold.
I hope he does break out, don't get me wrong. But, something just isn't there right now. If he worked as hard as you've said (not sure how you know that) and got so much better all around, that should already be translating into his game performance and it hasn't. Apparently not in practice either or he would already be starting as you think he should. Why? It's not like, as I mentioned, a matter of playing against great competition in every game or not having a lot of cometition in practice to help him get better. IU needs him to be able to perform against really tough teams and players. For whatever reason he just can't at this point. Was he overrated?

In general, this team needs to see development over the course of the season and I think they will get better, individually and team wise. But the bench needs to come through against teams like Xavier and someone, anyone, needs to push MK out of the starting lineup. My confidence in Bates being that guy just isn't there right now.

But that’s not the full story, is it?

He got called the worst defender by Coach Woody (early last season),” Indiana senior forward Trayce Jackson-Davis said on a podcast published earlier this week.

But somehow over the course of the season, Kopp went from Woodson’s defensive doghouse to this:

“I thought his defense last year was phenomenal,” Woodson said last month. “I mean, from where he started, when people thought he couldn’t really defend, he was one of our best perimeter defenders last year, which was kind of nice to see.”

Kopp’s ability to develop over the course of the season from worst to phenomenal was no accident according to Woodson.

“He’s very coachable,” Woodson said. “In the big league, we call him a true pro, because he listens and he tries to do all the things that’s asked of him,” Woodson said.

But that’s not the full story, is it?

He got called the worst defender by Coach Woody (early last season),” Indiana senior forward Trayce Jackson-Davis said on a podcast published earlier this week.

But somehow over the course of the season, Kopp went from Woodson’s defensive doghouse to this:

“I thought his defense last year was phenomenal,” Woodson said last month. “I mean, from where he started, when people thought he couldn’t really defend, he was one of our best perimeter defenders last year, which was kind of nice to see.”

Kopp’s ability to develop over the course of the season from worst to phenomenal was no accident according to Woodson.

“He’s very coachable,” Woodson said. “In the big league, we call him a true pro, because he listens and he tries to do all the things that’s asked of him,” Woodson said.

Would love to see Miller catch fire but it appears more and more unlikely as time passes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT