ADVERTISEMENT

18-4 now... season wrapup predictions... 9 games remaining... W's & L's

And we tied for 7th with a 9-9 record

Right. Which is considerably better than 10th. Or last.

And we were as close to finishing 3rd in the conference (3 games) as we were to finishing 10th.

And we made the tournament, despite not having anyone to play the post.

Right. Which is considerably better than 10th. Or last.

And we were as close to finishing 3rd in the conference (3 games) as we were to finishing 10th.

And we made the tournament, despite not having anyone to play the post.
We can just agree to disagree...you think Crean is great and I think he is average at best.

Reactions: russelltodd
See I don't really care who the coach is and if we are winning then I am fine with Crean. See this is how I see it if he wins he stays and if loses then he goes and we as fans has nothing to do with the decision. Since we are 18-4 and tied for first place I don't see that much to gripe about so why worry about what might happen in future games because we have nothing to do with the outcome of a game.

We have only been less than a 4 point favorite 3 times

+10 @ Duke
+1 vs Notre Dame
-1.5 @ Wisconsin

Given that fact, I think we could brag a little if we were 21-1 or 20-2, but 18-4 is a slight disappointment considering the schedule. Which of the games listed below (if any) do you think I have in the wrong category?

Impressive Wins
-------------------------
N vs Notre Dame
A vs Nebraska
H vs Ohio State
H vs Illinois
H vs Northwestern

Disappointing Wins
--------------------------
N St. John's
A Rutgers
H Wisconsin
A Minnesota
H Minnesota

Encouraging losses
------------------------
none

Disappointing losses
Wake Forest
UNLV
Duke
Wisconsin

Even at 18-4 I've only been impressed 5 times and disappointed 9 times. The 18-4 really doesn't mean anything at this point.

Last edited:

+10 @ Duke
+1 vs Notre Dame
-1.5 @ Wisconsin

Given that fact, I think we could brag a little if we were 21-1 or 22-2, but 18-4 is a slight disappointment considering the schedule. Which of the games listed below (if any) do you think I have in the wrong category?

Impressive Wins
N vs Notre Dame
A vs Nebraska
H vs Ohio State
H vs Illinois
H vs Northwestern

Disappointing Wins
N St. John's
A Rutgers
H Wisconsin
A Minnesota
H Minnesota

Encouraging losses
------------------------
none

Disappointing losses
Wake Forest
UNLV
Duke
Wisconsin

Even at 18-4 I've only been impressed 5 times and disappointed 9 times. The 18-4 really doesn't mean anything at this point.
Pretty much where I thought we would be record wise because I had us 10- in the non conference games. I don't really care about point spreads or stats when looking at who will win or lose because I just go by what I see and know. I thought we would go 2-1 in Maui losing to Vanderbilt and I also thought we would lose to Duke and ND.

+10 @ Duke
+1 vs Notre Dame
-1.5 @ Wisconsin

Given that fact, I think we could brag a little if we were 21-1 or 22-2, but 18-4 is a slight disappointment considering the schedule. Which of the games listed below (if any) do you think I have in the wrong category?

Impressive Wins
N vs Notre Dame
A vs Nebraska
H vs Ohio State
H vs Illinois
H vs Northwestern

Disappointing Wins
N St. John's
A Rutgers
H Wisconsin
A Minnesota
H Minnesota

Encouraging losses
------------------------
none

Disappointing losses
Wake Forest
UNLV
Duke
Wisconsin

LOL! This is a new way of looking at basketball.

Just sort everything into disappointing vs. impressive...

Reactions: becauseIknow
Pretty much where I thought we would be record wise because I had us 10- in the non conference games. I don't really care about point spreads or stats when looking at who will win or lose because I just go by what I see and know. I thought we would go 2-1 in Maui losing to Vanderbilt and I also thought we would lose to Duke and ND.

Well, we didn't play Vanderbilt. So givin who we've actually played, you would have had us at 20-2, but think 18-4 is great too?

Well, we didn't play Vanderbilt. So givin who we've actually played, you would have had us at 20-2, but think 18-4 is great too?
Right now yes I am happy with a 18-4 record and being tied for first place in the conference and if you can't be happy with that then it would take a lot for you to be happy. Also we beat ND which I thought would be a lost so it pretty much evens it out.

Reactions: positiveHoosier
W @ Michigan (For some inexplicable reason, Crean actually owns Beilein)
W @ Penn State (Chalk)
W v/s IOWA (IU is going undefeated at home)
L @ Michigan State (Probably a blowout loss)
W v/s Nebraska (IU will hammer them)
W v/s Purdue (IU in a squeaker)
W @ Illinois (Groce is a goner and this team will have fully quit on him by then)
L @ Iowa (IU will get run out of the building)
W v/s Maryland (Senior Day at home and Yogi wills IU to a win)

Season Record 25-6

Then Crean will lose his 1st game at the B1G Tourney.

IU will get a good seed in the dance anyway, like a #3 or so.

IU still doesn't make it to the Sweet 16 with all this talent.

Crean survives to coach another year.....

Last edited:
W @ Michigan (For some inexplicable reason, Crean actually owns Beilein)
W @ Penn State (Chalk)
W v/s IOWA (IU is going undefeated at home)
L @ Michigan State (Probably a blowout loss)
W v/s Nebraska (IU will hammer them)
W v/s Purdue (IU in a squeaker)
W @ Illinois (Groce is a goner and this team will have fully quit on him by then)
L @ Iowa (IU will get run out of the building)
W v/s Maryland (Senior Day at home and Yogi wills IU to a win)

Season Record 25-6

Then Crean will lose his 1st game at the B1G Tourney.

IU will get a good read in the dance anyway, like a #3 or so.

IU still doesn't make it to the Sweet 16 with all this talent.

Crean survives to coach another year.....
7-2!!!!! Wow I will have some of what you are smoking. Anyway, the amazing thing is what you say is probably right about crean surviving. The guy probably won't make the sweet 16 again and will yet be back once again with a younger(youth excuse) less experienced team. They cycle will go round and round once again. He is like a cat with 9 licwa except with glass at the helm in his corner he may have 100 lives.

7-2!!!!! Wow I will have some of what you are smoking. Anyway, the amazing thing is what you say is probably right about crean surviving. The guy probably won't make the sweet 16 again and will yet be back once again with a younger(youth excuse) less experienced team. They cycle will go round and round once again. He is like a cat with 9 licwa except with glass at the helm in his corner he may have 100 lives.

I mostly use vape pens with refill cartridges. I will hook you up with one for $40. You have to buy your own battery.

Belein at Michigan:
2 B10 titles, NCAA National Runner Up, 1 Elite 8, 1 Sweet 16
Missed NCAA 3 times in 8 years
Finished lower than 4th in B10 4 times in 8 years

Crean at IU:
1 B10 tile, 2 Sweet 16
Missed NCAA 4 times in 7 years
Finished lower than 4th in B10 6 times in 7 years

Belein is better than Crean. No comparison.

This is Beilein's fourth D1 job and he is 14 years older than CTC. If you go back 14 years and assess Beilein's success, it pales in comparison. Experience alone should make Beilein better and he SHOULD have performed better than he has if he is what you all believe him to be. I stated that he is what he is, I'll go farther and say he won't hang a national championship banner in his career.

If Beilein were at IU at the same age as CTC, he'd be in the middle of a 500 record in conference and everyone would be calling for his head and calling him mediocre. If you factor out years one and two, CTC has a better record overall and marginally worse in the conference. If you factor in year three, he dwarfs Beilein's conference and overall records at 14 years younger. Those are facts. They can't be disputed. The subjective thing is NCAA performance and there is ;ittle here to tell me that many of the posters on this site would be reacting differently towards the coach had Beilein been here with the same record.

In my book, CTC is better at his age than Beilein was and he has a FAR better chance of winning a national championship.

Reactions: positiveHoosier
What was your handle then? I don't remember anyone on these boards saying we would come in last.

As I said, it was Stephen Bardo.

You seem a lot more interested in policing what us positive posters say than in keeping the hat...er, I mean "critical" posters in check.

Last edited:
As I said, it was Stephen Bardo.

You seem a lot more interested in policing what we positive posters say than in keeping the hat...er, I mean "critical" posters in check.
FYI - There are many posters that have been banned that have the opposite opinion of yours over the last year. One just got banned the other day.
Now your post said "MANY people" ...so many people is Stephen Bardo? Interesting.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
FYI - There are many posters that have been banned that have the opposite opinion of yours over the last year. One just got banned the other day.
Now your post said "MANY people" ...so many people is Stephen Bardo? Interesting.

The point is, picking IU to finish somewhere between 10th and last wasn't considered a ridiculous prediction at the time.

Instead, Crean got them within 3 games of 3rd place!

He is a great coach.

I say Painter does more with less than Crean has. Painter hasn't been great in NCAA but he has 6 top 3 finishes in the big ten in 11 years. Crean has 1 in 7 seasons. He has also won a big ten tourney

What do you mean by "less"

I'm just trying to understand what he meant by less. Talent, money, facilities?

Less what.
Ask TeeJay. He's the one who essentially claimed Purdue had more talent than IU. Having heard that recruiting is one of Tom Crean's great strengths, I was surprised that one of his staunchest supporters seemed to acknowledge that even in state rival Purdue had greater talent.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
You all put it out there.

Want to promote stats to back your position, yet try to exclude them (year 3) when they don't.
Actually Tas, I put the stats out there and did not exclude year 3, just one and two which I believe is reasonable.

W @ Michigan
W @Penn State
L vs. IOWA
L @ Michigan State
W Nebraska
W vs. PURDUE
W @Illinois
L @Iowa
L vs. MARYLAND

13-5 B1G record
23-8
NCAA 6 seed

If that is the case, I have you mixed up with someone else. My apologies.

It was in regards to a CTC/Beilein comparison. I eliminated years one and two from CTC due to the decimation of the program. Not sure if anyone piggy-backed and excluded year three but, as a guy that has supported CTC, I think he needs to be accountable for year three regardless of Mo's injury.

It was in regards to a CTC/Beilein comparison. I eliminated years one and two from CTC due to the decimation of the program. Not sure if anyone piggy-backed and excluded year three but, as a guy that has supported CTC, I think he needs to be accountable for year three regardless of Mo's injury.
Agreed.

Wouldn't expect him to compete for the title year 3, but last? Not at Indiana

Ha-ha. Can't win for losing with you guys.

Do yourself a favor, just let it go. Pretty soon he's going to call you Jim and a bitter Marquette fan. Some of these guys, if you don't agree with them, they get very personal and start the name calling. Crean is a good coach, not a great coach. There aren't many great coaches anymore. Duke isn't even in the top 25 anymore. Did K suddenly become a poor coach? Kentucky, Louisville, have both been up and down this year. Izzo's team this year has been up and down. Gonzaga may miss the tournament. That's college basketball, but some people are stuck in another era.

Enjoy the team. Let the bitter people be bitter.

Here's to this team maintaining 1st place!
We'll see.

Listen, I'm not trying to be a pessimist. But past history - both this season and the past two - doesn't bode well. At some we have to produce solid efforts against the top competition in the B1G. Tonight is a great place to start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT