ADVERTISEMENT

18-4 now... season wrapup predictions... 9 games remaining... W's & L's

huh? Michigan's hoops discussion is in the premium message board, not the free board. Sorry. As for Izzo vs Beilein they are certainly different types of coaches. I prefer Beilein's Xs and Os, but Izzo has been a better recruiter.

Throughout their histories,Izzo has been much more consistent than Beilein. You can peddle that x's and o's crap on the Michigan board but we know basketball and we have eyes. Beilein is CTC with 14 more years of experience. He is not, nor will he ever be as good as Izzo.

Throughout their histories,Izzo has been much more consistent than Beilein. You can peddle that x's and o's crap on the Michigan board but we know basketball and we have eyes. Beilein is CTC with 14 more years of experience. He is not, nor will he ever be as good as Izzo.

If you want to compare results from when Izzo was at MSU and Beilein was at Richmond or Canisius, well then you will draw that conclusion. If you'd care to start the comparison when they were at a more equal weight in terms of talent, the end results would be more similar.

Beilein is going for his 3rd Big Ten title in the last 5 years. He's put far more underclassmen into the NBA draft than Izzo recently. He's done just fine and dandy head to head with Izzo.

You can believe whatever you want, but the results on the court are pretty clear when they have similar talent to work with.

If you want to compare results from when Izzo was at MSU and Beilein was at Richmond or Canisius, well then you will draw that conclusion. If you'd care to start the comparison when they were at a more equal weight in terms of talent, the end results would be more similar.

Beilein is going for his 3rd Big Ten title in the last 5 years. He's put far more underclassmen into the NBA draft than Izzo recently. He's done just fine and dandy head to head with Izzo.

You can believe whatever you want, but the results on the court are pretty clear when they have similar talent to work with.

It's hard to compare anyone to Izzo. They might as well let him start the tournament in the Sweet 16. And before someone chimes in with "Crean has taken IU to the Sweet 16 twice so I guess he's as good as Izzo!", I'll say this. Crean has been to the Sweet 16 three times in 16 years as a head coach. Izzo has been there 13 times in 20 seasons and farther beyond the Sweet 16 much more than Crean. And we're not even getting into FFs, Titles, and conference titles. Like I said, it's hard to compare anyone to Izzo.

It's hard to compare anyone to Izzo. They might as well let him start the tournament in the Sweet 16. And before someone chimes in with "Crean has taken IU to the Sweet 16 twice so I guess he's as good as Izzo!", I'll say this. Crean has been to the Sweet 16 three times in 16 years as a head coach. Izzo has been there 13 times in 20 seasons and farther beyond the Sweet 16 much more than Crean. And we're not even getting into FFs, Titles, and conference titles. Like I said, it's hard to compare anyone to Izzo.
Settle down, SHF. I doubt anyone is going to try to say Crean = Izzo.

It's been fun watching the banter that has taken place regarding this thread. I had no idea it would evolve into such a discussion. I still stand by my original prediction. This team is not strong mentally. Which is one of the main points that I argue for RMK., his players did not experience anything on the court, that they had not already experienced at practice. They were mentally prepared to perform under duress in any game situation. In only one game this season has IU recovered from a 16 point deficit, much to my surprise. I didn't think they had it in them. I just don't think they have the discipline and mental toughness to survive the next 9 games. I hope I am once again wrong. This team has the potential and talent. We have seen some moments of sheer genius from each player. As many people have said, Crean's teams regularly do not perform well in February. I had so much hope for them, then they played Wisconsin & Minny... which showed they are still inconsistent. And I do not put the entire blame on the players. I would say it's about 40/60 players to coaching. 3-6 is my number and I'm sticking with it. Tonight will be extremely revealing at Michigan. Not a superb opponent, but one they cannot overlook, especially on the road. Go Hoosiers!

Which is one of the main points that I argue for RMK., his players did not experience anything on the court, that they had not already experienced at practice. They were mentally prepared to perform under duress in any game situation.

Except for his last six years in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: positiveHoosier
You just have to ignore him. He challenges everything while never having an original thought. He doesn't post anything you can't pull out of that IU basketball history book that came out a few years ago. He claims to have all these credentials and to have "been around" the program for years, but never has a shred of proof. We're just expected to take him at his word while he tells everyone they don't know what they're talking about or that they know nothing about basketball. It's his only argument, which isn't really an argument, but likely a wall to shield his own insecurities. I think in his mind it makes him look smart. Now he'll probably run off to the mods about this post.

This.

His act is completely predictable, vapid, and stale. He has no facts, no legitimate retorts, and misuses words. Quasi-intellectuals are good entertainment...until they simply bore.

Let's look at his record at WVA on. Izzo has ALWAYS been a top conference. He has always had one of the highest rated SOS in the nation. He has a national championship, multiple final fours and B1G championships. Beilein can't begin to compare. You're

Nice X's and O's tonight. I see what you are referring to now.

It's been fun watching the banter that has taken place regarding this thread. I had no idea it would evolve into such a discussion. I still stand by my original prediction. This team is not strong mentally. Which is one of the main points that I argue for RMK., his players did not experience anything on the court, that they had not already experienced at practice. They were mentally prepared to perform under duress in any game situation. In only one game this season has IU recovered from a 16 point deficit, much to my surprise. I didn't think they had it in them. I just don't think they have the discipline and mental toughness to survive the next 9 games. I hope I am once again wrong. This team has the potential and talent. We have seen some moments of sheer genius from each player. As many people have said, Crean's teams regularly do not perform well in February. I had so much hope for them, then they played Wisconsin & Minny... which showed they are still inconsistent. And I do not put the entire blame on the players. I would say it's about 40/60 players to coaching. 3-6 is my number and I'm sticking with it. Tonight will be extremely revealing at Michigan. Not a superb opponent, but one they cannot overlook, especially on the road. Go Hoosiers!

I have been an IU fan since the mid 60's. (As long as I can remember, I was born in 1958). I have been witness to the later Watson years, all of the RMK years and everything since. I can tell you that many of RMK's teams were nails. I saw teams who got beat by substandard teams as well. I also saw teams that looked ok early end up being national champs. I saw teams predicted to do great things stink it up.

With all of that said, this team played very well on the road tonight. It was a spot we should have won in and we did. Now, it's on to the next test. Still on top of the conference.

I'd also dangle a carrot in front of Bo Ryan. He checks every box that an IU fan wants checked, would bring a complete coaching staff with him (I don't think Gard gets the UW job) and is at a school where basketball is on par with football without an AD who is a control freak.
Put the carrot in the seat
We have only been less than a 4 point favorite 3 times

+10 @ Duke
+1 vs Notre Dame
-1.5 @ Wisconsin

Given that fact, I think we could brag a little if we were 21-1 or 20-2, but 18-4 is a slight disappointment considering the schedule. Which of the games listed below (if any) do you think I have in the wrong category?

Impressive Wins
-------------------------
N vs Notre Dame
A vs Nebraska
H vs Ohio State
H vs Illinois
H vs Northwestern

Disappointing Wins
--------------------------
N St. John's
A Rutgers
H Wisconsin
A Minnesota
H Minnesota

Encouraging losses
------------------------
none

Disappointing losses
--------------------------
Wake Forest
UNLV
Duke
Wisconsin

Even at 18-4 I've only been impressed 5 times and disappointed 9 times. The 18-4 really doesn't mean anything at this point.

I don't know. I don't really read the posts. Just kinda glance and see he's still following me around. Like a kid that keeps pulling at your pant leg.

Like most trolls starving for attention, when you ignore them they tend to go hump someone else's leg.

Ok never mind IU and Iowa are on the same level of basketball tradition and success. Sorry didn't realize that. And lute Olsen is a HOF coach. He had one big ten title in 9 years and had 1 sweet 16

Actually he had a Final Four in 1980 and team won BTT in 1979. Also a Sweet Sixteen in 1983. Finished 2nd in B10 three other years (FF team was a fourth place B10 team). Had a bunch of NCAA appearances, too--back when it was tougher to get into the Tourney. He cut his teeth at Iowa then turned it up another notch at Arizona.

Anyway, the point stands as far as Iowa historically not being at IU's level. Duh! That said, Iowa has been an upper-tier B10 team for most of the past 40+ years, save for the abysmal Alford and Lickliter years. Fran inherited a HORRIBLE Iowa team and had to resurrect the program from an abyss. He is a damn good coach and he's starting to really get the players he wants and they are starting to play the system he has been gradually implementing. Next year may be rough as the team will be VERY young (one senior, 2 juniors and bunch of frosh and sophomores) but the recruiting for 2016, 2017, and 2018 so far includes 3 highly ranked four-star players. I think after this year the recruiting will improve that much more and if he gets the types of players that fit his system, Iowa could take off in years to come. We'll see. I'm enjoying the hell out of this year, though, and I would think IU fans would be as well--we're both 9-1 and will probably be 10-1 when the two teams meet next week. That is going to be an AWESOME game!

Reactions: becauseIknow
I don't know. I don't really read the posts. Just kinda glance and see he's still following me around. Like a kid that keeps pulling at your pant leg.

Oh, and then they get nasty and without fail engage in Classic Psychological Projection. Fascinating stuff.

Iowa will be very tough to beat, regardless of where you play them. Maryland too. Beating MSU at East Lansing isn't going to happen. I think the game with Purdue is even. IU should win the other four. Picking the worst case, I see a 4-4 finish, for a 22-8 record. I hope this board doesn't fall apart during the tough stretch coming up. IU has a better team than many thought they would have this year (including me).

:cool:

L @ Michigan
W @ Penn State
L v/s IOWA
L @ Michigan State
W v/s Nebraska
W v/s Purdue
L @ Illinois
L @ Iowa
L v/s Maryland

Season Record 21-10

I just don't see it any other way after todays performance... and the W v/s Purdue is very generous...

Swing and a miss....lol

Here's an update on my predictions... at 18-4 I predicted a 3-6 finish

L @ Michigan ................WRONG
W @ Penn State............WRONG
L v/s IOWA.....................WRONG
L @ Michigan State.......RIGHT
W v/s Nebraska.............RIGHT
W v/s Purdue.................RIGHT
L @ Illinois
L @ Iowa
L v/s Maryland

So far they're 4-2... already with one more win than I predicted... there goes my ESP career...

Three very tough games ahead...
1-2 would be good
2-1 would be great
3-0 would by phenominal

And I think this team has plenty of room for improvement... They've not peaked yet this season...

Go Hoosiers!!!

Expected wins are 1.93, and favored in two of three...1-2 would be a major disappointment, 2-1 performing up to expectations, and 3-0 should not be a surprise, especially with Iowa and Maryland playing poorly.

Expected wins are 1.93, and favored in two of three...1-2 would be a major disappointment, 2-1 performing up to expectations, and 3-0 should not be a surprise, especially with Iowa and Maryland playing poorly.

Really? 3-0 shouldn't be a surprise when two of those teams are ranked in the top 10 and one of them is on the road? Sorry, but 2-1 is still (barely) surpassing expectations, and if RJ is out 1-2 should not be a surprise.

Purdue will slaughter Indiana bc Crean will pull one of his genius moves like having Yogi guarding AJ Hammons or perhaps Hartman on Haas.

I see that game is virtually unwinnable.

Dex has been very silent of late. Hope he is alright, not sick or anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT