ADVERTISEMENT

1 other curious observation from yesterday: Stevie Scott looked...

I was at the Ball State game and saw the other early game. SS was not hitting the hole like he did the last few weeks. Early, the OL was not opening good holes & SS was dancing/hesitate at the line. SS is no dancing RB. He is a hammer like JH or the A-train. Since we moved some guys around up-front, the run blocking has picked-up.. We will need SS to run hard on Saturday. I think that we will really be jacked on Saturday..

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I was at the Ball State game and saw the other early game. SS was not hitting the hole like he did the last few weeks. Early, the OL was not opening good holes & SS was dancing/hesitate at the line. SS is no dancing RB. He is a hammer like JH or the A-train. Since we moved some guys around up-front, the run blocking has picked-up.. We will need SS to run hard on Saturday. I think that we will really be jacked on Saturday..
We'll be jacked...up to play? Or get jacked by Nebraska?

Jacked-up To Play.. No way that they blow us out.. When was the last time Vegas favored IU to win a game in Lincoln, NE. Never..
Right, although have we ever played there? If so, it was looong ago. We wouldn't have been favored anyway, never until now.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I did not think he looked fast. In fact I was wondering if Walker was in there would he have gone all the way on a couple of those runs. Scott is a power back with good not great speed in my opinion.
Yeah bro, totally would.have based on all the other runs he has taken to the house this year.

He shouldn't be doing any cutting (usually) until he's past the hole...

Based on personal experience..., if you make a habit of attempting to cut in the hole you'll usually end up much like the squirrel that just got run over by an SUV :confused:(he had some really great moves right up to the point that he got flattened...)...;):eek::D

There's an exception to every rule but this one usually holds true...
I am sorry but running backs are taught to press the heels of the of the heels of the offensive lineman make one cut and go. Then attack the back shoulder of a tackler or else hit the bash mark then number then sideline.

To me, both Walker & James have been disappointing to date. Frankly, neither has been as good as advertised. Walker is averaging 3.5, James 2.7 yds per carry. I'm not sure what Don Fisher was drinking when he said James reminded him of AT.

Scott, although not always looking the part, is now averaging 5.2 ypc, the same as last year. To me, he appears to have the most upside of the 3, as we know he can be a load.
I agree. I keep hoping for one of them, especially James, to break one to show what he has. But he never seems to have a hole to run through, while Stevie seems to have some big holes periodically.....at least, of late, he has. Is that the play calling? Or is Stevie just better at field awareness? Or with their limited carries, they just have not had opportunities for a good play? The latter seems to be the case for me, because without looking back at any film, just appears James is often tackled as soon as he gets the ball.

I am sorry but running backs are taught to press the heels of the of the heels of the offensive lineman make one cut and go. Then attack the back shoulder of a tackler or else hit the bash mark then number then sideline.

Depends on what you define as a "cut" I suppose... I call what you're saying as hitting the hole not cutting in it... All I know for sure is, if you fool around in the hole long enough something bad usually happens...

Depends on what you define as a "cut" I suppose... I call what you're saying as hitting the hole not cutting in it... All I know for sure is, if you fool around in the hole long enough something bad usually happens...
A cut is a change of direction. Hitting the hole to me is getting the ball and getting north south right away no cuts just going.

He can be a four star running back and still need time. I think we are set at RB for the next two years. Walker looks to be developing into a change of pace back. Scott and James can be very good three down backs. It’s hard to recruit with our depth there.
James has had a few good runs, but I'm not sold on Walker or James just yet. They need more time
That's exactly what I was talking about with this thread. He has never accelerated like that since he's been at IU. Apparently some can't see it, but it's there.
Getting through the hole clean could have something to do with it, but I haven't seen him like that all year. I also believe something has changed about how he is attacking the line of scrimmage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT