ADVERTISEMENT

You can’t say that!

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
The liberal freak out over the Florida high school history curriculum is a clear window into the racist soul of the left.

In summary . . .

The curriculum noted that upon emancipation, some slaves who learned a trade while a slave were able to use those skills as a free person for their benefit.

The left, led by Kamala Harris, immediately pounced and said that the Florida education officials were saying that slavery benefited some slaves. That notion is strictly forbidden. The Harris/Liberal freak out is by no means a mild disagreement. It is full-throated senseless shouting and screaming.

Some slaves learning skills in the trades while enslaved is objectively true. Using those skills after emancipation for personal benefit is also objectively true.

Yet, that can’t be said. Why?

The answer has been part of history since 1619. Black people are oppressed. They don‘t have skills. Thus liberals tell us that Tim Scott is an exception to the norm, that Clarence Thomas isn’t really black, that blacks can’t manage photo ID’s that blacks can’t do math, and that blacks can only achieve with AA or DEI.

During this curriculum debate I heard a black dude say that just because slavery makes white people uncomfortable is no reason to change teaching. . That was revealing. We must understand that slavery is not about slaves and slave owners. They both have been gone for well over 150 years. Teaching about slavery is really teaching about whites and blacks. That is current affairs. Blacks need to be taught that they are still victims of whites and whites must understand they are still part of a long-gone despised institution.

Skin color is indeed destiny.

Reactions: stollcpa
The liberal freak out over the Florida high school history curriculum is a clear window into the racist soul of the left.

In summary . . .

The curriculum noted that upon emancipation, some slaves who learned a trade while a slave were able to use those skills as a free person for their benefit.

The left, led by Kamala Harris, immediately pounced and said that the Florida education officials were saying that slavery benefited some slaves. That notion is strictly forbidden. The Harris/Liberal freak out is by no means a mild disagreement. It is full-throated senseless shouting and screaming.

Some slaves learning skills in the trades while enslaved is objectively true. Using those skills after emancipation for personal benefit is also objectively true.

The answer has been part of history since 1619. Black people are oppressed. They don‘t have skills. Thus liberals tell us that Tim Scott is an exception to the norm, that Clarence Thomas isn’t really black, that blacks can’t manage photo ID’s that blacks can’t do math, and that blacks can only achieve with AA or DEI.

During this curriculum debate I heard a black dude say that just because slavery makes white people uncomfortable is no reason to change teaching. . That was revealing. We must understand that slavery is not about slaves and slave owners. They both have been gone for well over 150 years. Teaching about slavery is really teaching about whites and blacks. That is current affairs. Blacks need to be taught that they are still victims of whites and whites must understand they are still part of a long-gone despised institution.

I think the broader context here is that Florida has made every attempt to strike down what they deem 'woke' in education and to severely water down what can and can be taught about slavery, or anything the Florida legislature deems bad or unflattering to US history.

So the whole 'hey-slavery-wasn't-all-bad' is a little like saying, Anne Frank should've felt fortunate, most people would kill for the kind of book sales she attained.

I think the broader context here is that Florida has made every attempt to strike down what they deem 'woke' in education and to severely water down what can and can be taught about slavery, or anything the Florida legislature deems bad or unflattering to US history.

So the whole 'hey-slavery-wasn't-all-bad' is a little like saying, Anne Frank should've felt fortunate, most people would kill for the kind of book sales she attained.
I agree that Florida’s conspicuous anti-wokeness taints the issue. That said, we should be able to discuss this without wokeness being part of it.

Yes, and hiding in that room for fear of her life was a wonderful opportunity for her to hone her writing skills.

Page 6 of Florida 2023 Academic Standards for teaching Social Studies: "Instruction includes how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit."

Students shouldn't be indoctrinated to the idea that fvcking slavery was beneficial. There's no way that language should appear in any Academic Standards for teaching social studies.

Page 6 of Florida 2023 Academic Standards for teaching Social Studies: "Instruction includes how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit."

Students shouldn't be indoctrinated to the idea that fvcking slavery was beneficial. There's no way that language should appear in any Academic Standards for teaching social studies.
Are you saying the statement is not true?

Or do you dismiss the statement because YOU CANT SAY THAT?

When I was a kid we were taught that slaves (since they were valuable property) were generally treated better than indentured servants, which were propped up as the Northern counterpart to slavery.

I’m not familiar with this issue at all, or with whether that terminology was used before or was just recently inserted.

I will say it seems like there shouldn’t be any need to write it out like that. It seems pretty obvious that if you learn how to work hard while a slave, that will benefit you if you are freed.

Seems unnecessary to me.

I think it speaks to the power of people to persevere, even in horrible conditions such as slavery, and the overall resilience of the former slaves who were able to make their lives better as a result of the skills they learned under the yoke of slavery.

Reactions: 76-1 and ORG

In summary . . .

Cool story, bro.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I’m not familiar with this issue at all, or with whether that terminology was used before or was just recently inserted.

I will say it seems like there shouldn’t be any need to write it out like that. It seems pretty obvious that if you learn how to work hard while a slave, that will benefit you if you are freed.

Seems unnecessary to me.
I'd have to read the whole thing to determine if I thought there was anything wrong with it. It all depends on the context.

I think it speaks to the power of people to persevere, even in horrible conditions such as slavery, and the overall resilience of the former slaves who were able to make their lives better as a result of the skills they learned under the yoke of slavery.
Bingo!

This lesson is overwhelming for millions of people. Too bad more don’t understand it.

Reactions: stollcpa
You think your little slogan is profound, it's not... it's dumb AF.

Anyone citing the 'benefits' of slavery is at minimun an asshole, and probably a racist.

In closing, GFY ...
So a slave who even risked his life to learn how to read is a problem for you?

Get a clue. An enslaved black guy learning a useful skill is not a “benefit” of slavery. It’s an important example of self improvement. It should be recognized.

People like you who can’t see that have a big hole in their humanity.

So a slave who even risked his life to learn how to read is a problem for you?

Get a clue. An enslaved black guy learning a useful skill is not a “benefit” of slavery. It’s an important example of self improvement. It should be recognized.

People like you who can’t see that have a big hole in their humanity.
A product of, or during slavery needs to be separated from the idea of "because of". The mislabeling that Slavery had positives, because of it, is not what any sane person could ever thing.
Allowing that some or many did learn valuable personal skills "During" slavery is what needs to be the understanding. Although I could argue that they would have learned those anyway, without slavery.
Anyway, none of this is to support slavery. We all need to agree on that.

A product of, or during slavery needs to be separated from the idea of "because of". The mislabeling that Slavery had positives, because of it, is not what any sane person could ever thing.
Allowing that some or many did learn valuable personal skills "During" slavery is what needs to be the understanding. Although I could argue that they would have learned those anyway, without slavery.
Anyway, none of this is to support slavery. We all need to agree on that.
The tendency of the left to see groups of people first, and individuals second is well established and involves more than this issue. The lesson is that people are individuals, and their achievements are largely the result of individual motivation. It’s important to understand that. Slavery repressed achievements, but those achievements are not gone, and they absolutely are not the result of slavery; as the left seems to want to say.

The tendency of the left to see groups of people first, and individuals second is well established and involves more than this issue. The lesson is that people are individuals, and their achievements are largely the result of individual motivation. It’s important to understand that. Slavery repressed achievements, but those achievements are not gone, and they absolutely are not the result of slavery; as the left seems to want to say.
Bwahahaha like fish in a barrel

In summary . . .

Were you deprived of attention as a child?

Here's Dr. William Allen one of the authors of the history standards workgroup.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
?

“slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”
Full circle, dude. The standard talks about a "benefit" of slavery. You obviously don't understand the problem with that characterization.

How about this? Travel, and the opportunity to see interesting new places, are benefits of human trafficking. That, of course, would be a similarly sick characterization.

It's fvcked up to ascribe any "benefit" to atrocities.

I'll let someone else indulge your ignorance and desperate need for attention. I'm out for now.

Full circle, dude. The standard talks about a "benefit" of slavery. You obviously don't understand the problem with that characterization.

How about this? Travel, and the opportunity to see interesting new places, are benefits of human trafficking. That, of course, would be a similarly sick characterization.

It's fvcked up to ascribe any "benefit" to atrocities.

I'll let someone else indulge your ignorance and desperate need for attention. I'm out for now.
Read what it says, , not what you want it to say.

It’s just so disingenuous. This curriculum was drafted in an open setting by an all black committee. Educators and teachers unions were invited to come and offer input.

They refused. Because if they had actually taken hand in the process they wouldn’t be able to stand on their soap box.

What a bunch of f’ing clowns.

Would Frankl has been able to write “Man’s search for meaning” and develop his psychotherapeutic without experiencing the Holocaust?

Would it be out of bounds to say that was a skill he developed during the Holocaust?

Anyone objecting to this wording is a twat. Great litmus test for an unserious person.

?

“slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”

For their personal benefit? Was it?

Curious on how you would explain Jim Crow which followed and the rise of the KKK militia along with other white dominated groups that rose to ensure that there were a very limited amount of black americans were able to see personal benefit from the 'valuable skills they learned' by being forced into slavery like farm animals.

Or are we going to say that Jim Crow laws created character and burned a resolve in black america that they used to rise up in the mid 1900's to still not be able to get a job, or a loan, or buy a house, or even vote to drive change.

Then how do you explain how the US, the bastion of freedom, has the one of highest percentage of it's citizens imprisoned and I believe the most total.

Spoiler alert....the majority of incarcerated Americans are, I think you know.

So when did these skills materialize into a valuable skill for personal benefit?

Better yet how many valuable skills we're not attainable because they were picking cotton because of slavery?

Why are white dudes so emotionally fragile that that they can't look at the past with any critical reasoning?

Oh no we might not be the hero of this particular lesson...that will not do!!!

Reactions: larsIU and Morrison

In summary . . .

Your recent threads have been about banning assault weapons, Barbie, and now this. One more wimpy thread and you’re getting kicked off the Dream Team. Only liberals post about this nonsense. Man up.

Your recent threads have been about banning assault weapons, Barbie, and now this. One more wimpy thread and you’re getting kicked off the Dream Team. Only liberals post about this nonsense. Man up.
Not at all Snarl. Barbie and the backlash to this curriculum are important cultural and educational touchstones that reflect the lefts wish to degrade the culture and indoctrinate our students. They are important.

Would Frankl has been able to write “Man’s search for meaning” and develop his psychotherapeutic without experiencing the Holocaust?

Would it be out of bounds to say that was a skill he developed during the Holocaust?

Anyone objecting to this wording is a twat. Great litmus test for an unserious person.

I don't remember a great demand or public utility for finding non existent silver linings from human suffering.

We do have multiple examples of downplaying and white washing to make us feel better about ourselves, specifically who created the human suffering.

Don't forget the south rose not because to sustain slavery but because of Northern oppression, but what specifically was the north trying to oppress?

No it was to stop northern aggression, but why was the north being aggressive, to stop what?

No it was to defend states rights, to do what??

More of the same here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT