ADVERTISEMENT

The assault on New College

He is emblematic of quite a bit of that segment of the left. There are echo chambers on each side of the aisle. I think that left one is pretty heavily pronounced because it rarely if ever gets punctured by mainstream culture. If Hickory is on Twitter, Reddit, quite a bit of the "quick hit/hot take" mainstream media, then it becomes easy to think you are in the majority when really 70%! of the country disagrees with you. (And when do Americans agree on anything that much?)

He doesn't have to agree with me, but if he spent a little time looking into what is being discussed here instead of smashing the 😂 on every post, he might at least get a realistic view of the world.

The only gripe I have with your posts are that the 70% seems high.

The poll sited is the only one that I've found with that high of a number. Everyone else is mid 50% to some saying 6 in 10. Still a good majority, but 70% seems really high, considering we know how party lines are usually followed.

Otherwise, agree with you.

It will be him and Biden and some useless 3rd party candidates that next to no one is going to vote for. Everybody acts like DeSantis is just culture wars. He is wildly popular in Florida, there no moderates there?

Parents don't like the "woke" junk in school. Youngkin rode that wave to Governor in Virginia. The problem the people arguing against DeSantis are going to have is that everyone reacts to the hyperbole put out by his opponents as opposed to what is actually being done. Like the whole, "Don't Say Gay" misnomer on that particular bill. What the actual bill proposed is backed by a majority of people in the country. He is a guy that can string sentences together so it won't be Trump and Biden word salad when he gets a chance to make his case to the public.
I live in FL about 5 months a year (back and forth). I am an independent moderate.

RD does some good things and I would like to get behind him but am sick to death of the culture war 24/7. he ihas become a one-trick pony.

I get that he is trying to win over as much of trump's base as he can, but at this point I just tune him out.

Politicizing education is a lose/lose for all of us.
yeah and i agree with goat that i do believe his primary motivation is political. and that's a shame because the school hasn't achieved its stated goals. and business decisions that are likely needed are cast in suspicion. that lesson can be extrapolated to policy and why at some point desantis does need to tone down the culture stuff

Lol..it’s always been politicized.
I don't think it has. But even if it were, that doesn't make it right or a winning proposition for education.

Strategically, for you, if you take the position that there is nothing wrong with politicizing education, can you complain when the other side does it (complain that they are doing it, not debate over the actual political views)?

Reactions: larsIU
yeah and i agree with goat that i do believe his primary motivation is political. and that's a shame because the school hasn't achieved its stated goals. and business decisions that are likely needed are cast in suspicion. that lesson can be extrapolated to policy and why at some point desantis does need to tone down the culture stuff
Desantis just won a landslide election doing exactly the things you want him to tone down. Why would he stop doing them? It doesn’t make any sense at all for him to change course. He should continue doing what led to his easy reelection. You can’t set policies if you can’t win elections. George Bush smaller government and lower taxes types aren’t winning an election in 2024.

Desantis just won a landslide election doing exactly the things you want him to tone down. Why would he stop doing them? It doesn’t make any sense at all for him to change course. He should continue doing what led to his easy reelection. You can’t set policies if you can’t win elections. George Bush smaller government and lower taxes types aren’t winning an election in 2024.
Do you think the Florida electorate mirrors the national one? I don't know.

Plus, doing things just to get elected isn't what I think leaders should do. They should also think about what is good for their govt. unit that they are supposed to be representing/managing.

I think he makes a fair point. It’s historically been a bellwether state I believe. It’s now the third largest. Transient. Diverse. And Desantis did win in an absolute landslide along with the state going red as blood. He might be right

Reactions: snarlcakes

Gavin Newsome won in a landslide in California, yet who here thinks he has a chance at the presidency in 2024?

I don't think it has. But even if it were, that doesn't make it right or a winning proposition for education.

Strategically, for you, if you take the position that there is nothing wrong with politicizing education, can you complain when the other side does it (complain that they are doing it, not debate over the actual political views)?
I’ve worked in education the past 2 decades and disagree. Sorry, it’s just painfully obvious if you work in the environment and are right of center.

As institutions get larger and larger, they are always going to be more politicized. It’s human nature. People are going to fight more and more for the resources.

To answer your question. Can I do both? I like to complain and vote for people who are for school choice 😁

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
If it's Trump, it'll be Biden. If not Trump, who know.

The way things are going, we're screwed either way.
Given the timing, I don't think what you envision could happen. The Dems can't wait to see if Trump wins the Repub nomination before selecting who their nominee will be. It'll be too late. If Biden enters the race, no one else will on the Dem side.

But yes, we are screwed.

I’ve worked in education the past 2 decades and disagree. Sorry, it’s just painfully obvious if you work in the environment and are right of center.

As institutions get larger and larger, they are always going to be more politicized. It’s human nature. People are going to fight more and more for the resources.

To answer your question. Can I do both? I like to complain and vote for people who are for school choice 😁
In what way are you referring to it being politicized? In what is taught? Or in how the leaders are selected? Something else?

Yes or at least close enough. Obviously, variables change, but I wouldn’t change much if I was Desantis.
Plus, doing things just to get elected isn't what I think leaders should do. They should also think about what is good for their govt. unit that they are supposed to be representing/managing.
I disagree. This was the mantra of Republicans for a long time and the end result has been losing elections. A few recent Democrat examples that certainly helped them in the midterms. Biden’s student forgiveness executive order. It’s disgusting thing to do to people, but it got him some votes. Or the leaking of Roe vs Wade? Or the release of our oil reserves? To use a basketball analogy, if the other team is allowed to travel, I want my team to travel and hopefully kick their a#%🤷

Reactions: IUCrazy2
Florida isn't even anymore. A big change occurred, midwest Republicans have made places like The Villages huge GOP colonies. Note DeSantis isn't the only Republican winning Florida.
And loads of New Yorkers have moved to south Florida. And broward palm and Dade Hispanics are moving right

In what way are you referring to it being politicized? In what is taught? Or in how the leaders are selected? Something else?
Both. I think also as it has shifted to the left more and more, self selection kicks in, as well. More people like myself choose other fields. I won’t allow my sons to get into education.

• Sad
Florida hasn't had a dem governor since 99.
Here's a comparative breakdown.
Florida 2022 5.3 Mil Registered Repubs 4.9 Mil Registered Dems
Florida 2017 4.8 Mil Registered Dems 4.5 Mil Registered Repubs
That's a big swing to the right in 5 years.

But again there's no comparing it to Calif where 46% are Dems and 23% are Repubs. Fla is far closer to even

And loads of New Yorkers have moved to south Florida. And broward palm and Dade Hispanics are moving right
Cuban Hispanics have always been further right.

Florida has moved right, Arizona has moved left. As has GA. I'm not sure we can read too much into any of those, I'm not about to claim the nation is moving left because of Arizona.

I disagree. This was the mantra of Republicans for a long time and the end result has been losing elections. A few recent Democrat examples that certainly helped them in the midterms. Biden’s student forgiveness executive order. It’s disgusting thing to do to people, but it got him some votes. Or the leaking of Roe vs Wade? Or the release of our oil reserves? To use a basketball analogy, if the other team is allowed to travel, I want my team to travel and hopefully kick their a#%🤷
Well, that is why the country is swirling the drain, in my opinion. Each side is worried only about their side winning, and no one is worried about the good of the country. So in that sense, the basketball analogy doesn't hold up, I don't think.

I don't think I'm being idealistic about this, either. Our institutions depend on a certain amount of trust and public perception of neutrality. Once that is eroded, I think we are on the path towards civil war or perhaps some type of authoritarianism (which could come from either side). We aren't there yet (as seen by how our institutions responded to Trump, despite all the hand wringing and calls of fascism from the partisan left) but I am worried about our trajectory.

Both. I think also as it has shifted to the left more and more, self selection kicks in, as well. More people like myself choose other fields. I won’t allow my sons to get into education.
That sucks. It's not good for a healthy system.

Florida has moved right, Arizona has moved left. As has GA. I'm not sure we can read too much into any of those, I'm not about to claim the nation is moving left because of Arizona.
right but cubans are only about 1/4 of the latinos in fla. desantis pulled 58 percent of the latino vote. in 2018 only 44%

Arizona hasn’t moved left. The idiots running the state’s Republican Party have nominated unelectable candidates. Kari Lake is certifiable nuts and she barely lost the election for governor. Now she’s preparing for a senate race where she is favored to win the Republican nomination.

• Wow
Reactions: UncleMark
Here's a comparative breakdown.
Florida 2022 5.3 Mil Registered Repubs 4.9 Mil Registered Dems
Florida 2017 4.8 Mil Registered Dems 4.5 Mil Registered Repubs
That's a big swing to the right in 5 years.

But again there's no comparing it to Calif where 46% are Dems and 23% are Repubs. Fla is far closer to even

And yet, they haven't had a dem governor since 1999.

Governor elections since 99

99 Bush won 55-44%
02 Bush won 56-43%
06 Crist won 52-45%
10 Scott won 48-47%
14 Scott won 48-47% (over Crist who went Dem)
18 DeSantis 49.6-49.2%
22 DeSantis 56-40%

Republicans have been winning these elections pretty easily up until Scott and DeSantis' first run.

And yet, they haven't had a dem governor since 1999.

Governor elections since 99

99 Bush won 55-44%
02 Bush won 56-43%
06 Crist won 52-45%
10 Scott won 48-47%
14 Scott won 48-47% (over Crist who went Dem)
18 DeSantis 49.6-49.2%
22 DeSantis 56-40%

Republicans have been winning these elections pretty easily up until Scott and DeSantis' first run.
Look closer
02 pub
06 dem
10 one point
14 one point
18 less than a point

Look closer
02 pub
06 dem
10 one point
14 one point
18 less than a point
Lol.. those numbers show exactly what I was getting at. DeSantis should continue to do what he was doing. Also, he accomplished that in what was considered a disappointing election for Republicans nationally, which had Trump and Roe headwinds working against them.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Well, that is why the country is swirling the drain, in my opinion. Each side is worried only about their side winning, and no one is worried about the good of the country. So in that sense, the basketball analogy doesn't hold up, I don't think.

I don't think I'm being idealistic about this, either. Our institutions depend on a certain amount of trust and public perception of neutrality. Once that is eroded, I think we are on the path towards civil war or perhaps some type of authoritarianism (which could come from either side). We aren't there yet (as seen by how our institutions responded to Trump, despite all the hand wringing and calls of fascism from the partisan left) but I am worried about our trajectory.
The lost of trust comes from the underpinnings of too much debt and spending in my opinion. As governments grow in size there are going to be more fighting for access to the capital.

If rates stay elevated we’re going to be spending 2 trillion on our debt alone, very soon. You can’t have trustworthy government institutions with that much wasteful spending and power.

Co-sign

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT