ADVERTISEMENT

AI & Learning: Thoughts on ChatGPT, Copilot, etc?

IUclover

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2015
This topic has probably been discussed here before but I'm just now starting to really pay attention to it, as well as use AI myself. Here are a few of my recent experiences...
  1. First, my wife is an online instructor for college classes, which typically require students to respond to a discussion prompt and reply to two other students' posts. She said close to 60-70% of the discussion is likely AI-generated and students are even feeding a student's initial post into a bot to produce a reply. But it's difficult to prove so there's no 100% certainty they are using AI, although it's obvious when the post doesn't address the prompt, includes specific words AI is known to use, or is totally off topic and makes no sense. Given that most of the students are putting in no effort and not actually meeting the objectives of the assignment, nearly half of the students are failing the class. This is stressing her out because she's big on academic integrity and hates that the students aren't learning anything.
  2. Second, one of my friends works with scholarship applications and they said students are starting to use AI-generated essays. These are obvious because they, again, don't address the prompt and/or appear to be written by someone from the 1900s, etc. But they can't 100% prove it was written by AI so their hands are tied in some cases.
  3. Third, I'm taking a grad course for a certification and I'm 99% sure my classmate is copy/pasting 95% of their posts from AI. Our professor has stressed he doesn't mind us using AI but not to copy and to cite if we use it. After a few weeks of my classmate's reliance on AI and putting in little effort, I'm pretty sure my professor got fed up and significantly docked their discussion score.
Overall, I think AI is a useful tool and I use it for work and as a resource for some of my school work. There are also more advanced things you can do with video, audio, and images. What are your thoughts and experiences?

If you're not familiar with AI, I asked ChatGPT "In 50 words, should I trust the market?" and this is what it generated.

Trusting the market involves understanding its unpredictability. While it offers opportunities for growth, it also carries risks. Research, diversification, and a long-term perspective can mitigate uncertainty. Ultimately, trust should be balanced with informed decision-making and risk management to navigate the fluctuations and pursue financial goals effectively.

This topic has probably been discussed here before but I'm just now starting to really pay attention to it, as well as use AI myself. Here are a few of my recent experiences...
  1. First, my wife is an online instructor for college classes, which typically require students to respond to a discussion prompt and reply to two other students' posts. She said close to 60-70% of the discussion is likely AI-generated and students are even feeding a student's initial post into a bot to produce a reply. But it's difficult to prove so there's no 100% certainty they are using AI, although it's obvious when the post doesn't address the prompt, includes specific words AI is known to use, or is totally off topic and makes no sense. Given that most of the students are putting in no effort and not actually meeting the objectives of the assignment, nearly half of the students are failing the class. This is stressing her out because she's big on academic integrity and hates that the students aren't learning anything.
  2. Second, one of my friends works with scholarship applications and they said students are starting to use AI-generated essays. These are obvious because they, again, don't address the prompt and/or appear to be written by someone from the 1900s, etc. But they can't 100% prove it was written by AI so their hands are tied in some cases.
  3. Third, I'm taking a grad course for a certification and I'm 99% sure my classmate is copy/pasting 95% of their posts from AI. Our professor has stressed he doesn't mind us using AI but not to copy and to cite if we use it. After a few weeks of my classmate's reliance on AI and putting in little effort, I'm pretty sure my professor got fed up and significantly docked their discussion score.
Overall, I think AI is a useful tool and I use it for work and as a resource for some of my school work. There are also more advanced things you can do with video, audio, and images. What are your thoughts and experiences?

If you're not familiar with AI, I asked ChatGPT "In 50 words, should I trust the market?" and this is what it generated.

Trusting the market involves understanding its unpredictability. While it offers opportunities for growth, it also carries risks. Research, diversification, and a long-term perspective can mitigate uncertainty. Ultimately, trust should be balanced with informed decision-making and risk management to navigate the fluctuations and pursue financial goals effectively.
i volunteer with some nonprofits that are integrating more and more into marketing/development. annual campaigns, grant-writing, etc. i firmly believe it's going ot end up replacing a shitload of workers

Reactions: larsIU
AI and learning huh?

AI just what we all wanted

And we're off… This admin never, ever, ever, disappoints. 1st amendment under attack, 2nd amendment under attack, 4th amendment under attack. As are others. Talk about authoritarian Communism. IT SUCKS

They don't ask for transparency they TAKE it, BUT when we ask for transparency from them the door gets slammed in our face. You Biden voters can shove it straight up your a$$!

While our border gets invaded, crime runs rampant, criminals run free, Death to America threats within our own country. Now the director of the FBI Wray, has warned of attacks within our own country from ISLAM, we all just sit around with our thumbs up our ass taking it.

https://judiciary.house.gov/media/p...statements, and related financial information

"However, recent reporting alleges that the IRS's use of AI has also included actively monitoring American citizens' bank accounts en masse and without legal process. Video footage obtained by an investigative media outlet appears to capture Alex Mena, an IRS official working in the agency’s Criminal Investigations Unit, admitting that the IRS has 'a new system' that uses AI to target 'potential abusers' by examining all returns, bank statements, and related financial information for 'potential for fraud.' Mena asserted that the new AI system has the ability to access and monitor 'all the information from all the companies in the world.'

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
I, for one, welcome our AI overlords!

I use it a ton for work. You can't copy and paste it though. You'll look like a moron. It's great for developing a general outline and flow that you can then come back in and clean up/tweak to make it your own.

i volunteer with some nonprofits that are integrating more and more into marketing/development. annual campaigns, grant-writing, etc. i firmly believe it's going ot end up replacing a shitload of workers
No matter how good AI is, I think a well organized and creative mind will always have the upper hand. Good classical educations will become more important. AI will always be a tool, like a power drill.

It’s obvious that some posters on the WC (even in this thread) are using ChatGPT.
I understand your concern, and I want to assure you that I take posting integrity very seriously. While I do use ChatGPT as a tool to assist me in my work, I want to emphasize that it's just one of many resources I utilize. Just like consulting textbooks, research papers, or seeking advice from professors, ChatGPT helps me generate ideas, clarify concepts, and sometimes even prompts me to explore areas I hadn't considered before.

However, it's important to note that ChatGPT doesn't do my work for me. I still have to critically analyze the information it provides, fact-check, and integrate it into my own understanding and writing. Ultimately, the responsibility for the work's originality and accuracy rests with me.

If you have any further concerns or questions, I'm more than happy to discuss them and address any misunderstandings. Open communication is key to maintaining trust and upholding posting integrity.

I understand your concern, and I want to assure you that I take posting integrity very seriously. While I do use ChatGPT as a tool to assist me in my work, I want to emphasize that it's just one of many resources I utilize. Just like consulting textbooks, research papers, or seeking advice from professors, ChatGPT helps me generate ideas, clarify concepts, and sometimes even prompts me to explore areas I hadn't considered before.

However, it's important to note that ChatGPT doesn't do my work for me. I still have to critically analyze the information it provides, fact-check, and integrate it into my own understanding and writing. Ultimately, the responsibility for the work's originality and accuracy rests with me.

If you have any further concerns or questions, I'm more than happy to discuss them and address any misunderstandings. Open communication is key to maintaining trust and upholding posting integrity.
steve-carell-i-see-what-you-did-there-is3g19xgxm0ub2x5.gif

I am very happy that you derived enjoyment from my post and look forward to continuing to please you in a non-homosexual way. Not that there is anything morally incorrect about homosexuality as I do not judge sexuality in that way.
So, you're ChatGPT has to make a point to limit the parameters of pleasure for you?
Did your TIVO keep recording RuPaul shows? (NTTAWWT)

I, for one, welcome our AI overlords!

I use it a ton for work. You can't copy and paste it though. You'll look like a moron. It's great for developing a general outline and flow that you can then come back in and clean up/tweak to make it your own.
Unfortunately, the problem my wife is experiencing is students entering a prompt for apples, then AI spits out an answer for oranges from the 18th century. Followed by a copy/paste as their work.

Lots of morons in her class.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I think the school stuff is a real problem, but some of the folks that are getting concerned are coders. We use ChatGPT or CoPilot to write code for us, & it’s been pretty effective. Low code/no code stuff is going to greatly reduce the need for technical people that can write code…

Reactions: BradStevens
I think the school stuff is a real problem, but some of the folks that are getting concerned are coders. We use ChatGPT or CoPilot to write code for us, & it’s been pretty effective. Low code/no code stuff is going to greatly reduce the need for technical people that can write code…

So what happens when AI is used to code AI?

• Love
Reactions: BradStevens
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT