ADVERTISEMENT

You can’t say that!

I don't remember a great demand or public utility for finding non existent silver linings from human suffering.
Yeah. You’re clueless. The point made is about illustrating the humanity in the human suffering.

You see. I tend to think slaves were people, just like you and me.

But I guess it’s easier for you to view them as a mass of oppressed widgets.

The liberal freak out over the Florida high school history curriculum is a clear window into the racist soul of the left.

In summary . . .

The curriculum noted that upon emancipation, some slaves who learned a trade while a slave were able to use those skills as a free person for their benefit.

The left, led by Kamala Harris, immediately pounced and said that the Florida education officials were saying that slavery benefited some slaves. That notion is strictly forbidden. The Harris/Liberal freak out is by no means a mild disagreement. It is full-throated senseless shouting and screaming.

Some slaves learning skills in the trades while enslaved is objectively true. Using those skills after emancipation for personal benefit is also objectively true.

Yet, that can’t be said. Why?

The answer has been part of history since 1619. Black people are oppressed. They don‘t have skills. Thus liberals tell us that Tim Scott is an exception to the norm, that Clarence Thomas isn’t really black, that blacks can’t manage photo ID’s that blacks can’t do math, and that blacks can only achieve with AA or DEI.

During this curriculum debate I heard a black dude say that just because slavery makes white people uncomfortable is no reason to change teaching. . That was revealing. We must understand that slavery is not about slaves and slave owners. They both have been gone for well over 150 years. Teaching about slavery is really teaching about whites and blacks. That is current affairs. Blacks need to be taught that they are still victims of whites and whites must understand they are still part of a long-gone despised institution.

Skin color is indeed destiny.
"Some slaves learning skills in the trades while enslaved is objectively true. Using those skills after emancipation for personal benefit is also objectively true."

So your position is that slaves were incapable of developing skills on their own without being enslaved" So in effectbeing stolen from their homes and forced into slavery actually benefited them?

And in over 200 years of chattel slavery in the US , how many folks do you think were "emancipated" and consequently able to "personally benefit" from those "acquired skills"? Clearly the poor unskilled Blacks owe a debt of gratitude to those magnanimous slave owners that allowed them to learn skills and thrive... :rolleyes:

You sound like Jesse Waters, and that's no compliment. Listen for yourself...

I think Mark Morial, President of Urban League provides the best possible answer to counter the nonsense coming from people like DeSantis, Jesse and apparently you...

This is all abut indoctrinating the youth into American Exceptionialism, and trying to minimalize and whitewash one of the most shameful periods in American History. If they can lessen the evil of slavery by claiming that people learned trades, or that slaves were originally sold by other Africans, or that whites ended slavery then they can argue that chattel slavery is not an abomination but rather a more nuanced series of events that is somehow "misunderstood"...

It's no accident that this sort of Prager "Univ" reading of history just coincidentally happens to be happening in the state where Prager U kids courses are about to be recognized as some sort of "scholarly alternative" to actual History courses. What's next? Dennis Prager as head of the State Board of Education and Candace Owens as a model for teachers to emulate?

I thought "Pudding fingers Ronnie" was opposed to Indoctrination?

Reactions: TommyCracker
Yeah. You’re clueless. The point made is about illustrating the humanity in the human suffering.

That's not the 'humanity in the human suffering'. It's trying to view slavery as transactional.

Which is clownish because where is the ironic prosperity that it's pushing?

Are there many examples that we can point to of black americans prospering because of the skills they learned in forced bondage that I'm not aware of?

That might help your argument.

Last edited:
You are trying to view slavery as transactional, not of a manmade cause of human suffering.

That being said, are there many examples that we can point to of black americans prospering because of the skills they learned in forced bondage?

That might help your argument.
The curriculum literally goes on to cite I believe 16 different examples of former slaves. But you didn’t get that far because you switched into indignant mode like you were told to do before absorbing the whole point.

That’s okay. You’re not a nuance man. You’re a narrative man. The world needs followers.

Not at all Snarl. Barbie and the backlash to this curriculum are important cultural and educational touchstones that reflect the lefts wish to degrade the culture and indoctrinate our students. They are important.
Haha. You just can’t quit Barbie, can you?

For their personal benefit? Was it?

Curious on how you would explain Jim Crow which followed and the rise of the KKK militia along with other white dominated groups that rose to ensure that there were a very limited amount of black americans were able to see personal benefit from the 'valuable skills they learned' by being forced into slavery like farm animals.

Or are we going to say that Jim Crow laws created character and burned a resolve in black america that they used to rise up in the mid 1900's to still not be able to get a job, or a loan, or buy a house, or even vote to drive change.

Then how do you explain how the US, the bastion of freedom, has the one of highest percentage of it's citizens imprisoned and I believe the most total.

Spoiler alert....the majority of incarcerated Americans are, I think you know.

So when did these skills materialize into a valuable skill for personal benefit?

Better yet how many valuable skills we're not attainable because they were picking cotton because of slavery?

Why are white dudes so emotionally fragile that that they can't look at the past with any critical reasoning?

Oh no we might not be the hero of this particular lesson...that will not do!!!
When Michelle Obama spoke of living in the White House knowing that slaves built it, she wasn’t talking about those who picked cotton. . She was talking about those who knew construction trades. History tells us that in some cases the slaves and emancipated slaves used those skills for individual benefit.

I would think liberals would celebrate accomplishments and skills of blacks despite being owned like a wagon. I guess not.

I have no clue what Florida says about Jim Crow in its curriculum. Why don’t you research that and start a thread.

Reactions: DANC
I’m not familiar with this issue at all, or with whether that terminology was used before or was just recently inserted.
I will say it seems like there shouldn’t be any need to write it out like that. It seems pretty obvious that if you learn how to work hard while a slave, that will benefit you if you are freed.

Seems unnecessary to me.

It’s just so disingenuous. This curriculum was drafted in an open setting by an all black committee. Educators and teachers unions were invited to come and offer input.

They refused. Because if they had actually taken hand in the process they wouldn’t be able to stand on their soap box.

What a bunch of f’ing clowns.
It’s just so disingenuous. This curriculum was drafted in an open setting by an all black committee. Educators and teachers unions were invited to come and offer input.

They refused. Because if they had actually taken hand in the process they wouldn’t be able to stand on their soap box.

What a bunch of f’ing clowns.
If the bolded is true, then I don’t have any objections.

It would just be another in a long line of LWNJ manufactured outrage.

Maybe they'll teach people about a slave who learned to sail and then sailed away under the nose of the confederates, taking others with him. Or maybe that's not worth people learning about?

If the bolded is true, then I don’t have any objections.

It would just be another in a long line of LWNJ manufactured outrage.

This person goes through person by person and if true, absolutely destroys the examples given of slaves that thrived after being free.

Reactions: larsIU
The curriculum literally goes on to cite I believe 16 different examples of former slaves. But you didn’t get that far because you switched into indignant mode like you were told to do before absorbing the whole point.

That’s okay. You’re not a nuance man. You’re a narrative man. The world needs followers.

Ooohh 16?

Was it like Schindler's List where the 1200 he saved is currently over 8500 just in America alone?

Where is this great prosperity?

Look I know what you think it is. Buttigieg got dragged for having a grade school event where he was asked about the forefathers who were slave owners and his reply was to the effect of 'they were brilliant because they knew that our country would grow and that the document that served them wouldn't be able to serve the future as well, so they made it an adjustable document to strive for a perfect document'.

That was a soft reply to a random question from a kid (again, he got dragged a little for it).

This is about school canon.

Unless there is some massive ironic prosperity (which there's not) it's probably best to avoid silver linings on such an inhumane topic as most grounded people understand.

Better yet stop lying. This isn't about human resolve like Schindler, a nazi, gaining the trust of the Nazis, finding massive success for the first time in his life from the Nazis but losing it all and risking his life by lying to the Nazis to save lives.

That story doesn't work without the evils of the Nazis.

In the case of slavery, you and I are the Nazis in this story.

In the case of slavery, you and I are the Nazis in this story
No White guilt cuck. My ancestors came from Finland at the turn of the century and worked in copper mines in the Upper Peninsula.

I’m not the oppressor in any civil rights story and neither are you, even if your ancestors may have been.

Your problem. Is you have zero lense to view the world through other than victim and victimizer. Like I said before. Incapable of nuance, incapable of seeing people’s humanity.

It’s a really dumb way to view the world but I’m not going to be able to talk you out of it.

You decided to read intent into the curriculum of a “silver lining” that’s not there. Nowhere does the curriculum credit slave owners with upskilling slaves. Nowhere does it credit the skills gained as a benefit to anyone but the slaves themselves, materially different from calling it a benefit of slavery.

But you seethe with hatred for DeSantis and politics has broken your brain. Your are an unconscionable person and extremely feeble minded that you would allow politics to distort you to such an extent.

Nonsense. First, what "curriculum" are you referring to? We've been talking about the Florida Academic Standards for Social Studies and the "personal benefit" language. That entry is followed by commentary about the Underground Railroad and identifies various abolitionists. I see nothing at all in that section with examples of former slaves purportedly benefiting from slavery.

It's apparent you have no idea what you're talking about so I'll help you out here. There was a statement issued by two members of the African American History Standards Workgroup in response to the backlash over the inappropriate language in the Standards. They cite several examples of "slaves ... who developed highly specialized trades from which they benefited." Problem is almost half of the individuals identified by the two "scholars" were: 1) never slaves; or 2) never gained skills through enslavement! These people need to go back to school.

As for you, Goo, I'm proud of you for refraining from blow-job insults today. You're making progress. How's the job search coming?

I think the broader context here is that Florida has made every attempt to strike down what they deem 'woke' in education and to severely water down what can and can be taught about slavery, or anything the Florida legislature deems bad or unflattering to US history.

So the whole 'hey-slavery-wasn't-all-bad' is a little like saying, Anne Frank should've felt fortunate, most people would kill for the kind of book sales she attained.
I don’t think they were trying to say that slavery wasn’t all bad.

I think they were trying to point out the fact that for emancipated slaves, those who had skills (even if taught to them while a slave) did better than those who did not.

When Michelle Obama spoke of living in the White House knowing that slaves built it, she wasn’t talking about those who picked cotton. . She was talking about those who knew construction trades. History tells us that in some cases the slaves and emancipated slaves used those skills for individual benefit.

I would think liberals would celebrate accomplishments and skills of blacks despite being owned like a wagon. I guess not.

I have no clue what Florida says about Jim Crow in its curriculum. Why don’t you research that and start a thread.

You claimed slavery led to personal benefit due to the skills that were learned.

Again learning skills and slavery are not synonymous.

And again, where is this ironic prosperity that came out of human bondage?

It's trying to create this american exceptionalism which doesn't work when it came out of american exploitation.

Since I know you I very strongly doubt that it's born out of your 'feels' or your 'fears' because you and I know we come from the exploiters in this story.

Better yet stop lying. This isn't about human resolve like Schindler, a nazi, gaining the trust of the Nazis, finding massive success for the first time in his life from the Nazis but losing it all and risking his life by lying to the Nazis to save lives.
Hey, speaking of that horrific era, next thing you know some of these morons will be here telling us about the wonderful skills developed by the Jews in Nazi forced-labor camps.

• Haha
No White guilt cuck. My ancestors came from Finland at the turn of the century and worked in copper mines in the Upper Peninsula.

I’m not the oppressor in any civil rights story and neither are you, even if your ancestors may have been.

Your problem. Is you have zero lense to view the world through other than victim and victimizer. Like I said before. Incapable of nuance, incapable of seeing people’s humanity.

It’s a really dumb way to view the world but I’m not going to be able to talk you out of it.

You decided to read intent into the curriculum of a “silver lining” that’s not there. Nowhere does the curriculum credit slave owners with upskilling slaves. Nowhere does it credit the skills gained as a benefit to anyone but the slaves themselves, materially different from calling it a benefit of slavery.

But you seethe with hatred for DeSantis and politics has broken your brain. Your are an unconscionable person and extremely feeble minded that you would allow politics to distort you to such an extent.

Calm down, relax.

As I said before, the logic is clownish because it's pushing American exceptionalism when it was caused by American exploitation.

Obviously the thought of there being an American villain is too much for some even though it's inevitable in this story and will follow through Jim Crow, etc.

Nonsense. First, what "curriculum" are you referring to? We've been talking about the Florida Academic Standards for Social Studies and the "personal benefit" language. That entry is followed by commentary about the Underground Railroad and identifies various abolitionists. I see nothing at all in that section with examples of former slaves purportedly benefiting from slavery.

It's apparent you have no idea what you're talking about so I'll help you out here. There was a statement issued by two members of the African American History Standards Workgroup in response to the backlash over the inappropriate language in the Standards. They cite several examples of "slaves ... who developed highly specialized trades from which they benefited." Problem is almost half of the individuals identified by the two "scholars" were: 1) never slaves; or 2) never gained skills through enslavement! These people need to go back to school.

As for you, Goo, I'm proud of you for refraining from blow-job insults today. You're making progress. How's the job search coming?
Keep it up

Reactions: DANC
Hey, speaking of that horrific era, next thing you know some of these morons will be here telling us about the wonderful skills developed by the Jews in Nazi forced-labor camps.

We did get some great medical advances from it.

Amiright?

But seriously, look at how the Germans honor those that were percecuted and how they teach the rise of the Nazis, otherwise known as 'their history'.

They basically sacked up like a real man would.

That post is brief but still one of the biggest loads of bullshit in the thread. You've outdone yourself.

• Love
Reactions: cosmickid

Amiright?

But seriously, look at how the Germans honor those that were percecuted and how they teach the rise of the Nazis, otherwise known as 'their history'.

Special place in hell for those fvcking monsters.

Edit: I didn't see the second half of your post when I responded. Yeah, that's an excellent point.

You claimed slavery led to personal benefit due to the skills that were learned.

Again learning skills and slavery are not synonymous.

And again, where is this ironic prosperity that came out of human bondage?

It's trying to create this american exceptionalism which doesn't work when it came out of american exploitation.

Since I know you I very strongly doubt that it's born out of your 'feels' or your 'fears' because you and I know we come from the exploiters in this story.
Claiming that all whites were exploiters is as dumb as claiming all blacks were since they, in most cases, sold or traded the slaves to Europeans.

Amiright?

What have you done to make amends, other than project your guilt to everyone else? Are you providing reparations, real man?

I don‘t know what kind of shithole you went to school in, but I was taught all about slavery…

Ooohh 16?

Was it like Schindler's List where the 1200 he saved is currently over 8500 just in America alone?

Where is this great prosperity?

Look I know what you think it is. Buttigieg got dragged for having a grade school event where he was asked about the forefathers who were slave owners and his reply was to the effect of 'they were brilliant because they knew that our country would grow and that the document that served them wouldn't be able to serve the future as well, so they made it an adjustable document to strive for a perfect document'.

That was a soft reply to a random question from a kid (again, he got dragged a little for it).

This is about school canon.

Unless there is some massive ironic prosperity (which there's not) it's probably best to avoid silver linings on such an inhumane topic as most grounded people understand.

That story doesn't work without the evils of the Nazis.

In the case of slavery, you and I are the Nazis in this story.
Your last line is exactly why we shouldn’t be teaching anything remotely resembling African American Studies (as opposed to African American history) in K-12.

Why in the world would you be a Nazi in the American story? You weren’t alive 160 years ago. Do you actually believe that you, personally, are morally culpable to any degree, no matter how infinitesimally small for something people who happened to have the same skin color as you and lived on the same continent did before your grandfather was even born?

This is, no doubt, the unsaid assumption behind much of this debate and I just don’t understand why you identify so much with slave owners. You are actually buying into their rationale, and the rationale of the actual White Supremacists that “whites” constitute some meaningful, metaphysical category across all time and space. I don’t get it.

A person may benefit from the skills they learned in spite of their enslavement and the brutality they endured. Ok.

Including that as context in any discussion of bondage is self serving only to the group that enslaved the other.

A person may benefit from the skills they learned in spite of their enslavement and the brutality they endured. Ok.

Including that as context in any discussion of bondage is self serving only to the group that enslaved the other.
I think from the clip I saw linked here, the one black committee member said they were trying to provide uplifting stories and heroes for students so that black kids didn’t think their lot in life was to be victims. That seems like a noble goal. I think they are going to edit the offending sentence or paragraph.

I think from the clip I saw linked here, the one black committee member said they were trying to provide uplifting stories and heroes for students so that black kids didn’t think their lot in life was to be victims. That seems like a noble goal. I think they are going to edit the offending sentence or paragraph.
Either perpetuate a se;f feeling of worthlessness and shame, or build toward a better future for all.
It's obvious that one of our groups is only interested in the negative of these two. Other wise their political message has nothing but failure... OH wait, it still does. Oh snap.

Doesn’t matter. It was conceived and approved by African Americans.

You don’t get to decide for them what is an unacceptable representation of their history.

Then they should read up on their own history, because it's not accurate, which we want to be teaching with history, correct?

History isn't something that should be up for debate. Either it happened or it didn't, which a number of these things looks like clearly didn't, but because at most half of this group that approved this curriculum were black, it should be accepted. No. That's bull.

If their examples to hype this up are factually wrong with facts behind them, then they are wrong. We can't go around changing the past just because a panel says so.

Reactions: jet812 and larsIU
Maybe they'll teach people about a slave who learned to sail and then sailed away under the nose of the confederates, taking others with him. Or maybe that's not worth people learning about?

I had read about that - an amazing story. Guy had a set!

Then they should read up on their own history, because it's not accurate, which we want to be teaching with history, correct?

History isn't something that should be up for debate. Either it happened or it didn't, which a number of these things looks like clearly didn't, but because at most half of this group that approved this curriculum were black, it should be accepted. No. That's bull.

If their examples to hype this up are factually wrong with facts behind them, then they are wrong. We can't go around changing the past just because a panel says so.
What facts do they have wrong?

I had read about that - an amazing story. Guy had a set!
Henry Louis Gates Jr.

His show on PBS, Finding Your Roots, is fantastic. You often hear stories like this about his guest's ancestors.

A buddy loaned me his most recent book- Who's Black and Why. I need to do a better job of working through the nightstand pile.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT