ADVERTISEMENT

Russia-Ukraine war has begun

Well he's got a shit load of nature gas. But yeah, this is starting to feel like pivotal moment for the US and Europe. China is the x factor though.
China agreeing to take Russia's coal and natgas production has allowed Putin to venture into the Ukraine. It also allows Xi to grow economically while letting the US, Europe and Russia expend themselves in conflict.

I get what others are saying about Romney being right, but I still think China is our biggest challenge on the geopolitical stage. Putin is making hay while he can . . . but he's gonna be China's vassal soon enough with the dependency Russia's going to have on China's money.

Genetics don’t make anybody Jewish in the way I was referring to it, namely as a religion. Of course, people will argue that Hitler was trying to exterminate Jews as a so-called race. I would argue that he simply was a confused psychopath. It’s normal for crazy people to Identify non-identicsl things, In this case Jewish as a race and as a religion. Hitler tried to exterminate a race by killing religious people.

In any case whether I’m wrong about Hitler being a Jew in the religious sense or not, my basic point is that where Stalin or Hitler have the roots has nothing to do with their megalomania and Psychopathy.
On what basis do you posit that Hitler was Jewish in a religious sense?

On what basis do you posit that Hitler was Jewish in a religious sense?
False data I’m assuming based on what you said and what I have now recalled reading here previously. In other words once upon a time I heard that his mother was Jewish and I was basing it on that without having exterminated that false datum from my memory banks. ;)

China agreeing to take Russia's coal and natgas production has allowed Putin to venture into the Ukraine. It also allows Xi to grow economically while letting the US, Europe and Russia expend themselves in conflict.

I get what others are saying about Romney being right, but I still think China is our biggest challenge on the geopolitical stage. Putin is making hay while he can . . . but he's gonna be China's vassal soon enough with the dependency Russia's going to have on China's money.
I wonder if we're past the point of reining in China. They don't have moral high ground concerns and will do business with anybody willing to pay them in gold or influence. Our biggest chip is that we don't import much if any energy from China that I can see (maybe we do, I'm a moron). Either we learn to live with China as they are or we slowly begin to turn our back (and help bring South America and Western Europe with us).

To your point, whatever sanctions we put on Russia they can make up from China. And China will buy oil from anyone. And they're poised to exploit the hell out of Africa. An alliance between China and Russia is formidable. And I don't even care about militarily. Economically it's a real problem.

Again, pivotal moment in US history here. I do believe that. The "what was Russia going to become post USSR" feels like it's been answered almost completely at this point. I don't see China pivoting to any kind of democratic regime.

The new world order is taking shape.

Lol. This one is my favorite. When he starts talking about the storm I spit my coffee.

Reminds of when Ohio State was looking for a new football coach (I think it was after Tressel resigned). Some people on an OSU message board demanded that any non-OSU fans not comment since OSU was facing such a momentous decision and therefore only actual OSU fans should be allowed to participate (or something like that).

Reminds of when Ohio State was looking for a new football coach (I think it was after Tressel resigned). Some people on an OSU message board demanded that any non-OSU fans not comment since OSU was facing such a momentous decision and therefore only actual OSU fans should be allowed to participate (or something like that).
I hope the trolling was in line with the pomposity of that request.

Reactions: Noodle
Trump's reactions to Russia intervening in Ukraine:

Some hot takes:

“Well, what went wrong was a rigged election,” Trump said, once again misrepresenting the results of the 2020 presidential contest. “What went wrong is a candidate that shouldn’t be there and a man that has no concept of what he’s do — ”

Trump said “doing,” actually, but Harrington’s clip cut off a bit too early. That’s probably because of what Trump said next.

“I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, ‘This is genius,’” Trump continued. “Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine — of Ukraine. Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful. So, Putin is now saying, ‘It’s independent,’ a large section of Ukraine. I said, ‘How smart is that?’ And he’s gonna go in and be a peacekeeper. That’s strongest peace force … We could use that on our southern border.”

He continued to praise Putin a bit later.

“Here’s a guy that says, you know, ‘I’m gonna declare a big portion of Ukraine independent’ — he used the word 'independent’ — ‘and we’re gonna go out and we’re gonna go in and we’re gonna help keep peace,’ ” Trump said. “You gotta say that’s pretty savvy. And you know what the response was from Biden? There was no response.”

Harrington’s clip didn’t include all of that about how Putin’s move was “genius” and “smart” and “savvy,” something Trump said more than once. And when your press person is cutting off quotes early, that’s not an accident.

Reactions: largemouth
Trump's reactions to Russia intervening in Ukraine:

Some hot takes:

“Well, what went wrong was a rigged election,” Trump said, once again misrepresenting the results of the 2020 presidential contest. “What went wrong is a candidate that shouldn’t be there and a man that has no concept of what he’s do — ”

Trump said “doing,” actually, but Harrington’s clip cut off a bit too early. That’s probably because of what Trump said next.

“I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, ‘This is genius,’” Trump continued. “Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine — of Ukraine. Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful. So, Putin is now saying, ‘It’s independent,’ a large section of Ukraine. I said, ‘How smart is that?’ And he’s gonna go in and be a peacekeeper. That’s strongest peace force … We could use that on our southern border.”

He continued to praise Putin a bit later.

“Here’s a guy that says, you know, ‘I’m gonna declare a big portion of Ukraine independent’ — he used the word 'independent’ — ‘and we’re gonna go out and we’re gonna go in and we’re gonna help keep peace,’ ” Trump said. “You gotta say that’s pretty savvy. And you know what the response was from Biden? There was no response.”

Harrington’s clip didn’t include all of that about how Putin’s move was “genius” and “smart” and “savvy,” something Trump said more than once. And when your press person is cutting off quotes early, that’s not an accident.
Well, thankfully he holds no real power now. Maybe this might be the exit where the Pubs push Trump out the car?

Pivot towards expanding the capabilities of US LNG exportation. Hint how nuclear would ween many from the whims and fancies of countries producing carbon energy and their (usually) shitty leadership.
He is the guy who shut down expansion of domestic carbon based energy.

Goat was not wanting this to devolve into a food fight so I'll abide by that by not bringing up the obvious.

• Love
Reactions: DANC and Lucy01
He is the guy who shut down expansion of domestic carbon based energy.

Goat was not wanting this to devolve into a food fight so I'll abide by that by not bringing up the obvious.
You're not wrong. But the situation has fundamentally changed. If he doesn't see that he might really be deficient at this point.

Nope. The Trumpsters will defend anything and everything Trump says. It’s a cult.
We were exporting oil when Trump was in office and now 1 year with Biden and we are out of oil. BS we get our oil from Mexico and Canada and fracking. Trump never had the World in War!

We (US/NATO) couldn’t likely build up a sufficient defense to start (say 3 armored divisions, 2 heavy infantry divisions and Auxiliaries) fast enough. Everything in Ukraine is effectively a couple days away by train.

How long would it take the Navy to sally from Norfolk and reach the Baltic Sea? There has never been a Baltic Sea exercise. There is a Russian port on the Baltic — Baltic republics are flanked to the south from the start.

During the cold part of the Cold War — the weapon of last resort was a tactical nuclear weapon.
We used to have an exercise every year called REFORGER - Return Forces to Germany. It was an exercise to "quickly" bring additional force to Europe in case the balloon went up.

We used to have arms caches ready for the troops to show up. And our Air Force bases were pretty far West so they couldn't be immediately overwhelmed.

Still, those exercises alwayd ended with a "Yorktown message" - nukes. But that was when the Soviet Army was much larger and had the Warsaw Pact with them (who we all figured would turn on the Soviets, if given a chance, but the Generals don't wargame on that).

Today, with our experience in personnel and actual warfighting, I think we'd smoke them. But there's no way to know unless we go to war, which we won't.

How did they find relatives of Hitler? You would think they would have done everything possible to take on new identities and certainly not give up DNA samples.
Some relocated to the US and vowed to not reproduce, for obvious reasons.

I don't have the link, but read it some time ago.

You're not wrong. But the situation has fundamentally changed. If he doesn't see that he might really be deficient at this point.
Do not entirely believe the narrative. I have already linked that the US led the world in natural gas exports for the first time ever in December with a very big plant expected online by next year's heating season.

In addition, this administration is leasing 330 sites per month in the Gulf compared to 300/month by Trump.

Reactions: larsIU
He couldn't provide that much LNG as we don't have the cooling capabilities to produce it for transport. But, your point is valid. Germany also looked to Russia and pipeline delivery I assume b/c it's cheaper.
We could build it and could have done it when he was President, if Germany was receptive.

Yes he did. Why would he have done that if he is Putin's puppet?
Well, yeah, but remember - Biden was the only guy to go toe-to-to, eye-to-eye, with Putin.

He said he knew how to handle him......

But sure, he got 81+ million people to believe that.

Do not entirely believe the narrative. I have already linked that the US led the world in natural gas exports for the first time ever in December with a very big plant expected online by next year's heating season.

In addition, this administration is leasing 330 sites per month in the Gulf compared to 300/month by Trump.

Yep. Thanks Marv.

I think Biden placated who he needed to to get elected (he's a politician after all). This current situation allows him to look to his left and go "see, I was right". Which isn't a bad thing.

False data I’m assuming based on what you said and what I have now recalled reading here previously. In other words once upon a time I heard that his mother was Jewish and I was basing it on that without having exterminated that false datum from my memory banks. ;)
The British used to spread all kinds of rumors about Hitler, this being one of them.

They also claimed Hitler had one ball and made a song/poem out of it.

Classic propaganda to caricature your opponent - not that he needed much caricature.

(sung to the tune of the Colonel Bogey March - theme song of Bridge Over The River Kwai)

Hitler, he only had one ball,
Goering, he had two but very small,
Himmler had something simmler,
But poor old Goebbels had no balls at all.
Whistle Chorus:

Frankfurt has only one beer hall,
Stuttgart, die München all on call,
Munich, vee lift our tunich,
To show vee 'Cherman' have no balls at all.
Whistle Chorus:

Hans Otto is very short, not tall,
And blotto, for drinking Singhai and Skol.
A 'Cherman', unlike Bruce Erwin,
Because Hans Otto has no balls at all.
Whistle Chorus:

Hitler has only got one ball,
The other is in the Albert Hall.
His mother, the dirty bugger,
Cut it off when he was small.
Whistle Chorus:

Note: Popular in England ca. 1939-1940

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/u/unknownlyrics/hitlerhasonlygotoneballlyrics.html

As others have noted, you can't just flip a switch and start LNG production.

The foundation for the capacity today was laid years ago, well before Biden.

It's a little late now to open up new drilling sites, He should have never cut them in the first place, the day he came into office.

This political opportunism at its finest. "Hey remember all that talk about renewable enegery? Yeah, we're not doing that anymore".

It's a little late now to open up new drilling sites, He should have never cut them in the first place, the day he came into office.

This political opportunism at its finest. "Hey remember all that talk about renewable enegery? Yeah, we're not doing that anymore".
The size of the lease sale is partly due to the backlog from Biden’s previous moratorium.

Reactions: DANC
I wonder if we're past the point of reining in China. They don't have moral high ground concerns and will do business with anybody willing to pay them in gold or influence. Our biggest chip is that we don't import much if any energy from China that I can see (maybe we do, I'm a moron). Either we learn to live with China as they are or we slowly begin to turn our back (and help bring South America and Western Europe with us).

To your point, whatever sanctions we put on Russia they can make up from China. And China will buy oil from anyone. And they're poised to exploit the hell out of Africa. An alliance between China and Russia is formidable. And I don't even care about militarily. Economically it's a real problem.

Again, pivotal moment in US history here. I do believe that. The "what was Russia going to become post USSR" feels like it's been answered almost completely at this point. I don't see China pivoting to any kind of democratic regime.

The new world order is taking shape.

My experience with Chinese-Americans here in the US is that they are great capitalists. And they are very much laissez-faire in their approach. Basically anything goes. They have no time for wokeism or the other nonsense that gets in the way of making $. Paying taxes is frequently optional.

There is not much interest in abstract political or moral debate. Or individual liberty. They expect govt to be corrupt. Officials can have their $ off the top as long as they leave them alone. They don't expect 'free speech' from the govt.

The CCP has made the tradeoff-----give us the power, and we'll leave you alone.

As others have noted, you can't just flip a switch and start LNG production.

The foundation for the capacity today was laid years ago, well before Biden.
Yes, you also cannot just turn it off. If "drill baby" had worked, Putin would not be in position in a year to take such an adventure.

"Wars are God's way of teaching us geography."
-- George Carlin

It was easier when I was a kid. We didn't have Belarus and Ukraine and Georgia and Azerbaijan and all the 'stans... We had the USSR. And although we could name the Baltic states, no one knew which one was which on a map.

I'm having to reacquaint myself with my eastern European geography nowadays. These countries aren't quite where I picture them in my head.

I don't recall paying much attention back in the 90s with all the fallout from the breakup of Yugoslavia. But looking at the map, I'd fail a geography quiz on the Balkans too.

• Wow
Reactions: Bill4411 and Lucy01
"Wars are God's way of teaching us geography."
-- George Carlin

It was easier when I was a kid. We didn't have Belarus and Ukraine and Georgia and Azerbaijan and all the 'stans... We had the USSR. And although we could name the Baltic states, no one knew which one was which on a map.

I'm having to reacquaint myself with my eastern European geography nowadays. These countries aren't quite where I picture them in my head.

I don't recall paying much attention back in the 90s with all the fallout from the breakup of Yugoslavia. But looking at the map, I'd fail a geography quiz on the Balkans too.
For me I have had to break the habit of The Ukraine as that was the USSR reference to it.

Yes, you also cannot just turn it off. If "drill baby" had worked, Putin would not be in position in a year to take such an adventure.
But you can affect the behavior of energy companies, as demonstrated by the first day of Biden's Presidency when he issued his decree stopping the pipeline and canceling energy leases.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
All this discussion aside, did anyone even note that Scholz did, in fact, step up to the plate? It seems that at least one positive sign is that Putin's aggression has strengthened NATO unity, rather than fractured it. Whatever sanctions we coordinated, Germany and Nordsteam was going to have to be in the center of it.

All this discussion aside, did anyone even note that Scholz did, in fact, step up to the plate? It seems that at least one positive sign is that Putin's aggression has strengthened NATO unity, rather than fractured it. Whatever sanctions we coordinated, Germany and Nordsteam was going to have to be in the center of it.
You're doing a good job with the discussion, Nero. I assume you are going to watch the whole thing burn.

• Haha
Good for them, but it's not like the Germans are taking a hit. Nordstream 2 has never gone online, and we're heading into Spring and Summer.

Good for them, but it's not like the Germans are taking a hit. Nordstream 2 has never gone online, and we're heading into Spring and Summer.
They are taking a hit, just not the one most people think. Most of the Nordstream 2 gas was never destined for the German market, which gets plenty of gas from Nordstream 1. Most of the Nordstream 2 gas was headed for Southern Europe. What Germany is really giving up is whatever slice of the profits they stood to earn by being the middleman.

That said, it's worth noting that in this case, it really is as simple as flipping a switch. The pipeline is finished and already filled with gas. It can be turned on at a moment's notice if Germany changes its mind.

They are taking a hit, just not the one most people think. Most of the Nordstream 2 gas was never destined for the German market, which gets plenty of gas from Nordstream 1. Most of the Nordstream 2 gas was headed for Southern Europe. What Germany is really giving up is whatever slice of the profits they stood to earn by being the middleman.

That said, it's worth noting that in this case, it really is as simple as flipping a switch. The pipeline is finished and already filled with gas. It can be turned on at a moment's notice if Germany changes its mind.
As long as it's not switched on, we'll not have to be concerned with the ramifications of switching it off.

Also, in case anybody was wondering where she stood on this.....

Maybe a commercial announcement more than a political sentiment. Anyone of her entertainment prominence has an international audience. Check Snoop Dogg‘s alliances with getting paid by and for Russian connections in the earlier days. …circa 2014..about the time of the Crimean subversion. Sad but true..

Somehow…I’m sure Phil Mickelson thinks he’s responsible for all this good work

• Haha
Reactions: Noodle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT