ADVERTISEMENT

Russia-Ukraine war has begun

As Ranger has pointed out a few times, the feeling is shared by more than a few Ukrainians, as well.
Ukrainian in what sense? ethnically Ukrainian? I doubt it.
You’re probably right, which is why the Biden Administration’s response to this crises is heavy on controlling world opinion of Putin’s move.
World opinion does not matter to Putin. Russia only understands muscle.

But if and when he does need them, I expect he will be disappointed.
We have to consider the ability of each party to withstand conflict. So far it appears Russia is willing and able to withstand pain, from which the western nations wince before the pain begins. I think the need of Russia to rely on support about China is a quite distant issue.

My understanding, which is not deep, but is mostly based on some NPR interviews, is that Russian/Ukrainian identity can be pretty fuzzy, ethnically and nationally speaking.
I would use a very simple definition, which his what do they call themselves. Likely those in question refer to themselves as Russian.

LNG is how you do it. I'm not sure how feasible it is to replace that much supply with it, though.
2020 LNG exports ended on a downward trend and export terminal plans got canceled…
Why would anyone trust this administration to deliver export the very energy it is working hard to keep in the ground.

(It takes 4 years just to build a facility. How does that get Nat.Gas and refined petroleum to Western Europe… next month.)

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=44196
https://www.naturalgasintel.com/can...ect-signals-potential-headwinds-for-u-s-fids/
https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/lng-developers-another-year-canceled-projects-2021-05-18/
https://www.maritime.dot.gov/ports/...hdrawn-cancelled-and-disapproved-applications
https://www.spglobal.com/marketinte...l-for-controls-amid-world-gas-crunch-68570686

Ideologues were pleased with the “green“ policies… lots will live with the consequences.
India and China will burn more coal instead …

Last edited:
Well then, delivery of LNG to Western Europe is going to become a real big opportunity out for the US. I suspect we’ll hear about some acceleration of projects to expand our cooling capabilities to foster more delivery. This will take several years however. But is the right move both from a security/geopolitical standpoint as well as financially for American companies. So Putin is in the lead because nobody really gives a shit about Ukraine. But lines are being drawn on the sand. The US must respond in a way that foster the separation of Western Europe from Russia
This will require a change in policy direction in addition to the physical ability to be an LNG exporter.

2020 LNG exports ended on a downward trend and export terminal plans got canceled…
Why would anyone trust this administration to deliver export the very energy it is working hard to keep in the ground.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=44196
https://www.naturalgasintel.com/can...ect-signals-potential-headwinds-for-u-s-fids/
https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/lng-developers-another-year-canceled-projects-2021-05-18/
https://www.maritime.dot.gov/ports/...hdrawn-cancelled-and-disapproved-applications
https://www.spglobal.com/marketinte...l-for-controls-amid-world-gas-crunch-68570686

Ideologues were pleased with the “green“ policies… lots will live with the consequences.
India and China will burn more coal instead …
It's a big world. It doesn't have to all come from us. But I would expect to see whatever sanctions package emerges to also find itself paired with policy shifts that increase LNG production. Asserting our power in Europe requires keeping Germany on board. That's just a reality. So we will do what needs to be done.

I don't think Putin will stop there. He is bolstered by recent success in Kazakhstan and Syria among various African nations.

The mistake was in not sanctioning various oligarchs, etc. I've been suggesting this for years. We take all of their money. Their kids go to prep school in Miami and London. They buy football teams. Total impunity. We should have put the pressure on them a long time ago instead of always leading from behind.

You've spoken to Russians in Luhansk and Donetsk?

I think the Biden administration takes a negotiating track of diplomacy as a religion as Bennett said recently. Putin has been making them look ridiculous for weeks with these fruitless meetings as he continues to execute his military strategy. I support an Iran nuke deal, but the Biden admin has taken the track of "bend over-how far" to an extreme. Recently one of the prior lead negotiators from the original deal resigned out of disgust at the extent of the bending over. We are negotiating as if we are a developing nation with an economy in crises and not the ones with the strongest military in the world. It's quite odd to me. Put in will sack Kiev and install his puppet while we are still debating about debating about diplomacy. It's a very sad and pathetic look. You don't move massive amounts of material and men from Vladivostok to Ukraine as an academic

UN???

Interestingly, Qatar was recently named a major non-nato allly. I thought it was odd consider they are "allies" with all. They play all sides constantly. They can probably pick up much of the slack. Iran perhaps after we are done bending over? But, I'm not certain of the state of their infrastructure.

Well so far he has seen the extent of western sanctions... plus he is sitting on hefty financial reserves at the moment...

China and Russia do not have great relations. Surface level. But Putin does not need China at the moment.
Putin and Xi met before the Olympics. I think that was one of the final bases Putin covered before today’s action.

This will require a change in policy direction in addition to the physical ability to be an LNG exporter.

Yep. Hopefully the PTB inside the beltway will work to remove any regulatory constraints to make this happen. I say that as a liberal. Geopolitical concerns override partisan hackery. I’ll be disappointed if they don’t.

Yep. Hopefully the PTB inside the beltway will work to remove any regulatory constraints to make this happen. I say that as a liberal. Geopolitical concerns override partisan hackery. I’ll be disappointed if they don’t.
This is why I started the thread. There are interesting political concerns, of course, but these kinds of issues rise above all of them in the long run.

It's not an unremarkable opinion. Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine are all historically part of the same people, the same series of empires. The connection goes back to the Varangians and Rurik over a thousand years ago. It's extremely common for Russians to feel that Ukraine is naturally part of their polity. As Ranger has pointed out a few times, the feeling is shared by more than a few Ukrainians, as well.
I wonder how many Ukrainians remember Stalin’s starvation of millions of Ukrainians.

You’re probably right, which is why the Biden Administration’s response to this crises is heavy on controlling world opinion of Putin’s move.
But defining current moves as being short of an invasion is back peddling and weak. Every single CNN contributor tonight said this is absolutely an invasion.

I think (the beltway) will act too slow and end up disapponted.

Why do you think the inside beltway PTB changed the policy a year ago? Don’t the reasons still exist?

Reactions: DANC
With Putin's announcement that he'd send troops into Donetsk and Luhansk, and with reports tonight that Russian troops are already rolling through the region, Russia has officially and openly invaded Ukrainian territory. Of course, they were probably already there, anyway, but now there is no room for denial.

This thread is for the foreign policy wonks who got crowded out of the previous thread by the predictable political bullshit. None of that in this thread, please. Let's keep this one focused.
Yeah, I was wrong, I did not think they would go through with it. If they expand outside the Donbass, I still think Ukraine needs to go guerilla and make it a drawn out affair. I would also consider blowing bridges up across the Dnieper if the Russians push that far.

Yeah, I was wrong, I did not think they would go through with it. If they expand outside the Donbass, I still think Ukraine needs to go guerilla and make it a drawn out affair. I would also consider blowing bridges up across the Dnieper if the Russians push that far.
I absolutely believe the Ukrainians will not give up as quickly as the Afghans did. They will become a guerilla force. It will become ugly. Lots of violence in the future.

If the real objective is Kiev … the troops in Belarus will drive south on the next planned pretext. The Dnieper bridges aren’t needed for that.

I absolutely believe the Ukrainians will not give up as quickly as the Afghans did. They will become a guerilla force. It will become ugly. Lots of violence in the future.
I've been saying for weeks you don't move this amount of material and people for nothing. Russia is an enormous country. We are talking people and equipment moving upwards of 6,000 miles. It's not a joke.

Ukraine needs to undertake a Ludendorff type effort. Total war. The entire state must resist. If I was in Ukrainian leadership I would be arranging acts of sabotage within Russian cities. Acts of mass terrorism. Russians must feel real pain and blood if Ukraine is to resist. I don't know that a comedian is capable of leading these types of monstrosities.

I've been saying for weeks you don't move this amount of material and people for nothing. Russia is an enormous country. We are talking people and equipment moving upwards of 6,000 miles. It's not a joke.

Ukraine needs to undertake a Ludendorff type effort. Total war. The entire state must resist. If I was in Ukrainian leadership I would be arranging acts of sabotage within Russian cities. Acts of mass terrorism. Russians must feel real pain and blood if Ukraine is to resist. I don't know that a comedian is capable of leading these types of monstrosities.
Russia has enough troops to override Ukraine. They don't have enough troops to hold it indefinitely. It will be painful.

If the real objective is Kiev … the troops in Belarus will drive south on the next planned pretext. The Dnieper bridges aren’t needed for that.
No, you can write off the east of the country to a certain degree if Russia desires. They have too many avenues to invade. I am more thinking from the standpoint of having an invading Russian Army pushing west through Ukraine up to the borders of NATO allies Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, and Romania. Additionally, if Ukraine is able to hold the west, there are multiple avenues for NATO to dump arms into the country to hopefully make Russia's occupation difficult.

Russia has enough troops to override Ukraine. They don't have enough troops to hold it indefinitely. It will be painful.
Probably. But it remains to be seen how Ukrainians will actually respond when they are punched in the face. Will their spirit fade and they lay down arms? Some will switch sides for the right price.

Mostly a show imo. Google china russia trade v china us trade. And I'm not going to get into a variety of tensions that exist in the China-Russia relationship;
Basically among major nations there is India (unaligned), then there is the US/Europe/Japan/Canada/Austria, and the China and Russia. If something happens to Putin, China is really isolated. I think she likes having Russia as is, seen as a bit mad. It takes a lot of pressure off China.

Reactions: larsIU
Basically among major nations there is India (unaligned), then there is the US/Europe/Japan/Canada/Austria, and the China and Russia. If something happens to Putin, China is really isolated. I think she likes having Russia as is, seen as a bit mad. It takes a lot of pressure off China.
By major nations you mean trade? Or in what sense? South Korea is one of the stronger militaries. I don't think Austria belongs on the same page frankly.

Japan/Russia continue to have territorial dispute.

Why do you think the inside beltway PTB changed the policy a year ago? Don’t the reasons still exist?
The situation has changed. Perhaps they were shortsighted a year ago but now it’s in our face. I can’t believe anybody's that shortsighted.

By major nations you mean trade? Or in what sense? South Korea is one of the stronger militaries. I don't think Austria belongs on the same page frankly.

Japan/Russia continue to have territorial dispute.
Yep, they have disputes. But those are not as great as our disputes with either.

Add S Korea into the west camp, it makes the case stronger.

China does not want to live with western ideas on things like licensing or human rights. Pretty much every other nation, including non-aligned India, accept those ideals. TPP was an attempt to get the world to isolate China. Russia was not in TPP. China's potential allies are North Korea and Russia. Not since Germany picked Austo-Hungary and Turkey has a country wasted their draft picks this badly.

If Russia went pro-west, China would be reduced to North Korea as an ally.

Reactions: TomEric4756
I wonder how many Ukrainians remember Stalin’s starvation of millions of Ukrainians.
Their families do but then there were the Germans. Khrushchev felt very badly about all the woes that the Ukrainian people have endured and he wasn't exactly a soft touch.

Off topic, but the sanctions of the two breakaway regions is so absurd and silly. It's just completely irrelevant and laughable. Either you apply some sanctions to Russia or you do nothing. This is nothing except it makes you look completely inept and foolish.

Yes this is fractured .. but still illustrative.
There’s probably room for Belarus somewhere … the troops are already there.
The Belarus leadership is unpopular.

Crimea/Georgia == Saarland/Rhineland
Donbass == Sudetenland
Kiev/Ukraine == Vienna/Austria?
Poland == Poland?

Along as Germans depend on russian natural gas … Putin doesn’t really need the DDR back.

Yep, they have disputes. But those are not as great as our disputes with either.

Add S Korea into the west camp, it makes the case stronger.

China does not want to live with western ideas on things like licensing or human rights. Pretty much every other nation, including non-aligned India, accept those ideals. TPP was an attempt to get the world to isolate China. Russia was not in TPP. China's potential allies are North Korea and Russia. Not since Germany picked Austo-Hungary and Turkey has a country wasted their draft picks this badly.

If Russia went pro-west, China would be reduced to North Korea as an ally.
I think the major caveat here is nuclear weapons. Which also prevent serious conflict with Russia and allow Putin to run roughshod. In theory, would we defend the Baltics? Despite what our NATO treaty obligations are, I'm not sure.

Off topic, but the sanctions of the two breakaway regions is so absurd and silly. It's just completely irrelevant and laughable. Either you apply some sanctions to Russia or you do nothing. This is nothing except it makes you look completely inept and foolish.
Actually it’s on topic … if sanctions only apply to occupied territories … with potential Ukrainian majorities (for now) … the announced sanctions are more likely to hurt Ukrainians more. And Russians not at all. Your conclusion is quite correct. … “This is nothing except it makes you look completely inept and foolish.”

And won’t dissuade anyone from pushing on to Kyev… it’s not even a slap on the wrist.

I think the major caveat here is nuclear weapons. Which also prevent serious conflict with Russia and allow Putin to run roughshod. In theory, would we defend the Baltics? Despite what our NATO treaty obligations are, I'm not sure.
No way. Wargames show we cannot hold them. Retaking becomes very expensive.

UN Security Council resolution against Russia. Over the top sanctions. Carrier battle group in the eastern med.
Drone strikes to cut off retreat - let Ukraine cut em up piecemeal

But truth is that US and NATO are not gonna fight, and Western Europe needs Russian natural gas

this was a fait accompli when Germany stopped building nuke plants and the US withdrew forward missile shields from Poland

It’s just TV now, except Bernie Shaw News will probably be willing to brief Putin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT