ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk coaches

Are there actual "influential NIL" football people?
Or would it have to be a more grass roots, $100 huge group of people?
I would think both. Obviously the bigger donors probably give more to BBall's efforts. But NIL is only a couple years old, at this point...and we've been really crappy for those 2-3 years. Find someone good, show that you're institutionally going to invest heavily, and I bet you could lure out some of the bigger IU donors to help out.

For one, the jury is still out on the guy working in AH. Theoretically, that’s a much easier gig than the football job.

I loved the way he sent Archie packing and swung big at Stevens, but I’m not sure Woody was a great fall-back plan. When Fife and Matta were not retained, that was pretty telling.
The Archie and Stevens moves surprised me. That's why I think he may do it again.

I've moved on from TA; who could come in here and win?? The landscape has changed so much in the last three years with NIL leading the way.

Indiana needs a youngish, energy coach who can establish good recruiting and drum up NIL $$$. With the mergers of the conferences, I would naturally assume that Indiana has some leverage in hiring a head coach...not to mention the TV $$$.

Who you got??
CMW

Reactions: kmathum
The Archie and Stevens moves surprised me. That's why I think he may do it again.
Stevens had already told us he wasn’t interested and that he wasn’t changing his mind, and we went after him anyway. His response and interest level never changed. When he reiterated that, we turned to MW, who was still not pleased with how he was treated when we hired Archie. We aren’t exactly a shining example of how to do this right, and that’s for basketball.

I just looked Fitzgerald up; he had three 10 win seasons, several 9 win seasons and an 8 win season mixed in with other winning seasons.

Sign me the F up for ole Pat!!! I'd be a season ticket holder if he could replicate those successes here!!

Oh, his bowl record at Northwestern stood at 5-5...Again, sign me up!!
No concerns with his final four years at NU?
2019 3-9 (1-8)
2020 7-2 (6-1) Covid year
2021 3-9 (1-8)
2022 1-11 (1-8)
CTAs record was better than that, in a tougher division.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
No concerns with his final four years at NU?
2019 3-9 (1-8)
2020 7-2 (6-1) Covid year
2021 3-9 (1-8)
2022 1-11 (1-8)
CTAs record was better than that, in a tougher division.
Surely you're not suggesting that Allen is better?

Surely you're not suggesting that Allen is better?
Pat's had a long and distinguished career, better than CTA's obviously. But the numbers don't lie, over the past four seasons (excluding '23 of course) CTA was better.
Whether Fitz's last four seasons would limit his opportunities as a HC are another matter.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I said this a few time since the UTSA coach was interviewed at A&M but Barry Odom at UNLV should be our next coach and he should bring his OC. He has done miracles at UNLV 9-2 , former Missouri coach record of 25-25

Age 46, Oklahomian, played Middle LB at Mizzou.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It surprised everyone given

The buyout
Covid cut backs and revenue drops
New POTU coming in.

and i loved it.

Stephens ultimately passed on the brinks truck after allegedly indicating interest in at least talking, but no one here knows for sure.

I think Odom would be a solid hire. He was the DC at Arkansas after Mizzou, and he did great things there. Now has UNLV humming.

I also think... get ready ... a call to Bill O'Brien is warranted. Big name recognition. Restored Penn St... currently in the shit show shadow of Bill Belichek. My guess is he wants out, and would welcome another rebuilding job at IU. He's expensive... but this would be a statement hire.

Finally - Mike Bobo - currently OC at Georgia. Was HC at Colorado St. Lost his job there despite decent early results. Knows how to recruit. Now has great SEC connections. Worth an interview.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
Since Kirk Ferentz’s plan to anoint his son as HC has fizzled, there did seem to be some Fitz to Iowa rumblings IF KF leaves after this season or next. If IU fires TA first though, Hope we make the call.

If not, I’m fine with Gus or Dan Mullen. 🤔.

There is likely no other hiring decision at IU that has the financial consequence that comes with choosing a new head football coach. As a result, I hope the IU Pres and reps from the BOT (Quinn?) are involved. This AD can not be trusted to make the right hire on his own.
You trust the IU prez and Quinn (BoT) to do a better job than Dolson? He’s a former BB player but what’s his experience?

Perhaps I’m biased because Quinn is such a terrible color commentator on Pacers broadcasts, but IMO that would be a disaster.

You trust the IU prez and Quinn (BoT) to do a better job than Dolson? He’s a former BB player but what’s his experience?

Perhaps I’m biased because Quinn is such a terrible color commentator on Pacers broadcasts, but IMO that would be a disaster.
Interesting logic

He was an excellent football player. Played DB as a freshman at IU before focusing on basketball only. Would have been a good NFL prospect had he focused on football. Plus, Quinn got schooled by RMK. Quinn’s opinion on a bew head coach should matter.

Interesting logic
It’s not logical but that’s why I asked about his qualifications and admitted to being biased.

bdhman, Experience as a football player over 40 years ago makes him qualified to hire a head coach? We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. Also, how did that RMK schooling work for him at his only coaching job?

Since Kirk Ferentz’s plan to anoint his son as HC has fizzled, there did seem to be some Fitz to Iowa rumblings IF KF leaves after this season or next. If IU fires TA first though, Hope we make the call.

If not, I’m fine with Gus or Dan Mullen. 🤔.
Fitz would be an outstanding hire for us if we have an opening. The railroading he endured at NU isn’t going to limit his options.

He was an excellent football player. Played DB as a freshman at IU before focusing on basketball only. Would have been a good NFL prospect had he focused on football. Plus, Quinn got schooled by RMK. Quinn’s opinion on a bew head coach should matter.
QB was a starting safety during his freshman and sophomore years before bowing to BK’s request that he focus on basketball. And remember that he moved in and essentially usurped Fred Glass’s authority in order to fire Tom Crean, so there’s a demonstrated track record there.

Last edited:
Loved Quinn as a player. Don’t love much he’s done since. Company man (aka ass-kisser) thru and thru. That doesn’t bode well when it comes to major decisions like this.

More so than any other D-1 program? MSU, Michigan, Iowa, Pedo State, TheO$U, Northwestern, etc. I could link their problems and they probably make Liberty look not so bad by comparison.
Lots of virtue signaling in these times ... not much virtue

Chadwell is a very good coach. He’s a winner.
This notion that Liberty is a “cesspool” is pure hyperbole.
The other poster dislikes schools with religious affiliations and the fact that its founder was Jerry Falwell. I’m no big fan of Falwell but that school takes its sports seriously. They hired Hugh Freeze?
So what?
Think of all the coaches that Bob Knight hired over the years that had really shady pasts. Nobody batted an eye. Norm Ellenberger was a 10 year assistant under Knight hired on the heels of “Lobogate” a huge scandal involving false academic transcripts and forgery.

The other poster dislikes schools with religious affiliations and the fact that its founder was Jerry Falwell. I’m no big fan of Falwell but that school takes its sports seriously. They hired Hugh Freeze?
So what?
Think of all the coaches that Bob Knight hired over the years that had really shady pasts. Nobody batted an eye. Norm Ellenberger was a 10 year assistant under Knight hired on the heels of “Lobogate” a huge scandal involving false academic transcripts and forgery.
You're full of crap.

No doubt that I've got a strong distaste for Liberty University, but I dare you to find a single instance of my putting down another school with a religious affiliation. Notre Dame, BYU, SMU, Boston College, Gonzaga, literally any. You ain't gonna find it.

The administration at Liberty was majorly corrupt at LEAST until Jerry Jr. was fired 3 years ago. The fact that they take their sports seriously does not fill me with confidence that they operated their sports program with integrity.

Then again, I didn't peak in High School so I don't think winning at sports is the most important thing.

So what?
I wouldn't be scared of Chadwell because of Liberty necessarily. What's his history prior to Liberty? How good was Liberty when he arrived there?

We need someone that his built a program, AND sustained it. 5+ years of sustained success. No recent years with 1-11 type records. Use those parameters to filter out the potential field of candidates, and narrow it down starting from there.

Reactions: 76-1 and midwolfe
You're full of crap.

No doubt that I've got a strong distaste for Liberty University, but I dare you to find a single instance of my putting down another school with a religious affiliation. Notre Dame, BYU, SMU, Boston College, Gonzaga, literally any. You ain't gonna find it.

The administration at Liberty was majorly corrupt at LEAST until Jerry Jr. was fired 3 years ago. The fact that they take their sports seriously does not fill me with confidence that they operated their sports program with integrity.

Then again, I didn't peak in High School so I don't think winning at sports is the most important thing.

Our goody two-shoes approach has gotten us nowhere. Our LEO has netted us 3 conference wins in 3 years.
Liberty has not had sports scandals. Stop mixing the two. You can go online and read about multiple IU professors who have been fired or resigned for sexual misconduct. Doesn’t mean that IU is a “bad” institution. These kind of things happen on the academic and administrative side everywhere.
What is wrong with Jeremy Chadwell as a coach? Forget where he coaches. What has he specifically done to be removed from consideration?

Reactions: shinglejim and DANC
I've moved on from TA; who could come in here and win?? The landscape has changed so much in the last three years with NIL leading the way.

Indiana needs a youngish, energy coach who can establish good recruiting and drum up NIL $$$. With the mergers of the conferences, I would naturally assume that Indiana has some leverage in hiring a head coach...not to mention the TV $$$.

Who you got??

While not my first choice, how would you feel about Chuck Martin from Miami U.?? Cradle of Coaches. He'd probably be cheap so would allow us to pay off CTA.

Reactions: midwolfe
I think Odom would be a solid hire. He was the DC at Arkansas after Mizzou, and he did great things there. Now has UNLV humming.

I also think... get ready ... a call to Bill O'Brien is warranted. Big name recognition. Restored Penn St... currently in the shit show shadow of Bill Belichek. My guess is he wants out, and would welcome another rebuilding job at IU. He's expensive... but this would be a statement hire.

Finally - Mike Bobo - currently OC at Georgia. Was HC at Colorado St. Lost his job there despite decent early results. Knows how to recruit. Now has great SEC connections. Worth an interview.
Is that the same Billl O'Brien that coached PSU when we beat them?

While not my first choice, how would you feel about Chuck Martin from Miami U.?? Cradle of Coaches. He'd probably be cheap so would allow us to pay off CTA.

IU could do worse than Martin. Former OC at Notre Dame IIRC, former natl championship coach at Grand Valley with a run very similar to Leipold’s at UW-Whitewater, also coached defense, also former recruiting coordinator, has coached in the states of Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Illinois, still in his mid-fifties I believe.

Reactions: midwolfe
IU could do worse than Martin. Former OC at Notre Dame IIRC, former natl championship coach at Grand Valley with a run very similar to Leipold’s at UW-Whitewater, also coached defense, also former recruiting coordinator, has coached in the states of Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Illinois, still in his mid-fifties I believe.
He has a losing overall record at Miami, I'll politely pass.

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT