ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk coaches

I'd be OK just hearing media leaks that they are in negotiations with Allen.

They should be. Need to be ready.
Unless we’re prepared to offer him a big chunk of his buyout up front and free and clear of any conditions, there’s nothing to negotiate. He’s got us by the short hairs.

Unless we’re prepared to offer him a big chunk of his buyout up front and free and clear of any conditions, there’s nothing to negotiate. He’s got us by the short hairs.
Then leak that info. "We're trying to get rid of him, but its expensive and he's holding us to every dime."

I'm not optimistic about a quality replacement. With Babers' firing today, there are now four power programs (Syracuse, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Michigan State) looking for head coaches and that list will grow in the coming days. If Allen goes, IU would have to catch lightning in a bottle with his replacement, and that's something that never seems to happen at IU. On the contrary, we seem to have terrible luck when it comes to hiring decisions.

Coaching searches are such a crapshoot to begin with. Look at Babers. On paper, he seemed to be a great hire - - successful coach coming off two seasons as Eastern Illinois' HC with a record of 19-7, and then 18-9 and a MAC title over two seasons at Bowling Green. He had a 10-win season at Syracuse in 2018, but it was mostly downhill since.

I'd like a guy who has had success as a HC for a power conference school. For a program like IU, that's probably a pipe dream. Fitzgerald might seriously consider us, and I have little doubt he'd win here, but you'd probably have a protest/walkout from a bunch of faculty at IU if he was hired.

We're in a really tough spot.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'm not optimistic about a quality replacement. With Babers' firing today, there are now four power programs (Syracuse, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Michigan State) looking for head coaches and that list will grow in the coming days. If Allen goes, IU would have to catch lightning in a bottle with his replacement, and that's something that never seems to happen at IU. On the contrary, we seem to have terrible luck when it comes to hiring decisions.

Coaching searches are such a crapshoot to begin with. Look at Babers. On paper, he seemed to be a great hire - - successful coach coming off two seasons as Eastern Illinois' HC with a record of 19-7, and then 18-9 and a MAC title over two seasons at Bowling Green. He had a 10-win season at Syracuse in 2018, but it was mostly downhill since.

I'd like a guy who has had success as a HC for a power conference school. For a program like IU, that's probably a pipe dream. Fitzgerald might seriously consider us, and I have little doubt he'd win here, but you'd probably have a protest/walkout from a bunch of faculty at IU if he was hired.

Let's talk to Fitz and to hell with the woke crowd.

I just looked Fitzgerald up; he had three 10 win seasons, several 9 win seasons and an 8 win season mixed in with other winning seasons.

Sign me the F up for ole Pat!!! I'd be a season ticket holder if he could replicate those successes here!!

Oh, his bowl record at Northwestern stood at 5-5...Again, sign me up!!

That wasn't questioned at the time. He had just put together two consecutive seasons that were among the best in IU history. Besides, that wasn't a hiring decision, which is what I'm asking about.
Most people had/have no problem with the extension,the issue is the ridiculous amount of the buyout.

Two things I’ve seen a lot honestly confuse me.

1) “I want a competitive team.” Has this team not been competitive this season, at least on the whole if not for every game.
2) “IU should drop a level.” Holy participation trophy Batman. We can’t win where you want so we should drop down to D3 to get some wins?

Most people had/have no problem with the extension,the issue is the ridiculous amount of the buyout.
I'm still waiting for someone to show me the awful hiring decisions Dolson has made which cause them to not believe he can make a good football hire.

Two things I’ve seen a lot honestly confuse me.

1) “I want a competitive team.” Has this team not been competitive this season, at least on the whole if not for every game.
2) “IU should drop a level.” Holy participation trophy Batman. We can’t win where you want so we should drop down to D3 to get some wins?

Folks misinterpret your point #2.
It’s not so much that we should drop a level. It’s that we don’t have a clue in the AD what it takes to remain in this one. If you want to live in this neighborhood, we’d better pony up and pay the f@&$ing rent that it takes to play here.

I wonder if Iowa is already drawing a bead on Fitz. We’d be crazy to not hire him on the spot if he’s willing to come here.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me the awful hiring decisions Dolson has made which cause them to not believe he can make a good football hire.
I’m still waiting on someone to show me how track record of hiring a football coach who is successful, let alone simply being the steward for a sustainably winning endeavor.

I’ll say this, the folks who think the amount of the buyout is prohibitive are going to have a stroke when they see what investment prospective coaches are going to demand. Promised program investment was a huge deal in Kansas being able to land Leipold. Don’t think anyone we go after won’t look for the same. New indoor facility, new press box, investments in stadium exterior, are all likely things that are going to come up. The program likely needs at least a quarter of a billion dollars invested to get us on a competitive level.
Will Couger buy us another one?

I wonder if Iowa is already drawing a bead on Fitz. We’d be crazy to not hire him on the spot if he’s willing to come here.
I agree he'd be a great hire. I haven't followed the NW case that closely but I don't believe there's any evidence that he was aware of the hazing. The case against him was essentially a "the buck stops here" argument.

That said, there would be some blowback and I don't think the IU administration would have the stones to hire him.

With respect to Iowa, I hadn't heard that Ferentz was leaving. I'm aware of the Brian Ferentz situation and the friction with the interim AD but I can't imagine Ferentz calling it quits now.

I agree he'd be a great hire. I haven't followed the NW case that closely but I don't believe there's any evidence that he was aware of the hazing. The case against him was essentially a "the buck stops here" argument.

That said, there would be some blowback and I don't think the IU administration would have the stones to hire him.

With respect to Iowa, I hadn't heard that Ferentz was leaving. I'm aware of the Brian Ferentz situation and the friction with the interim AD but I can't imagine Ferentz calling it quits now.
No idea on KF, though I wouldn’t be surprised if he retires, given the treatment of his son. Love Pugh I’m sure he’ll need to prove his innocence to prospective employers.

No idea on KF, though I wouldn’t be surprised if he retires, given the treatment of his son. Love Pugh I’m sure he’ll need to prove his innocence to prospective employers.
That's the problem with nepotism. If the Iowa OC was anyone other then the HC's son, he would have been gone a while ago. Kirk can't possibly be objective about this.

Iowa is last in FBS football in total offense. Last as in 130 out of 130. They are 121st in scoring offense. Pretty putrid. Defense, on the other hand, is stellar. It has to be.

That's the problem with nepotism. If the Iowa OC was anyone other then the HC's son, he would have been gone a while ago. Kirk can't possibly be objective about this.

Iowa is last in FBS football in total offense. Last as in 130 out of 130. They are 121st in scoring offense. Pretty putrid. Defense, on the other hand, is stellar. It has to be.
BF reported to the AD because of nepotism and she made the decision to not retain him. KF was not his boss.

Iowa is 9-2 I believe. They miss Ohio State and Michigan in the regular season, otherwise they're at very best 7-4...Their shiny record wouldn't look so good.

It is amazing they win games with such a small offensive approach!

I don’t want anything to do with anyone associated with Liberty University.

I’m not saying we need a godly man or anything, but that place is a cesspool.
More so than any other D-1 program? MSU, Michigan, Iowa, Pedo State, TheO$U, Northwestern, etc. I could link their problems and they probably make Liberty look not so bad by comparison.
Lots of virtue signaling in these times ... not much virtue

More so than any other D-1 program? MSU, Michigan, Iowa, Pedo State, TheO$U, Northwestern, etc. I could link their problems and they probably make Liberty look not so bad by comparison.
Lots of virtue signaling in these times ... not much virtue
Well, I didn’t say more than any other program and I also specifically cited MSU. It’s been over a decade since Paterno died, but if you want to keep PSU people off the list, fine. I definitely wouldn’t try to bring in Sandusky to coach the defense.

Iowa is 9-2 I believe. They miss Ohio State and Michigan in the regular season, otherwise they're at very best 7-4...Their shiny record wouldn't look so good.

It is amazing they win games with such a small offensive approach!
Yes, Michigan and Ohio State would probably have been losses, but Iowa's 12-10 loss to Minnesota would have been a W with a functioning offense.

I had to go there on business and found the medical school to be very impressive and the cleanliness of the dorms with bathrooms in many of the rooms. Campus is a nice looking place too. Can't say what it was like years ago but those people are gone. As for being a cesspool I don't recall seeing campus marches with proxies waving terrorist flags and threatening Jews. Now tell me what you don't like about the football staff because it seems they have a pretty successful program.
Hugh Frickin Freeze! Enough said with that hire....

Reactions: Vern Pain
Yes, but my point is that Brian Ferentz has failed as offensive coordinator at Iowa, and would have been fired at least a year ago by the head coach if the head coach wasn't his father.
Well I learned something today,I thought it was his brother.
I guess I forgot how old the old man is,seems like his been there 40 years lol

Basically needs to be a coach that's shown consistent, sustained success somewhere else. As long as he's not pushing 65, age isn't a huge concern. An older guy could be better in some ways, as he's less likely to jump to a better gig if he has success. But he has to be young enough that he'll be effective for 6-8 years.

But if it ends up a younger, lower level coach, that's fine too. As long as he's shown he can build and sustain a program.

And then, as has been mentioned, you have to also invest in that persons assistant coaching staff, need a new practice facility, and need excitement and buy in from the influential NIL people.

If the admin isn't behind it, and aren't willing to step up and focus and invest heavily in to the program...Might as well not make a move. Next year's team, with Allen and his current staff intact, would likely flirt with 5-6 wins. They'll be doing it in front of 20K fans...and it'd be a clear sign we don't really care about the program's success...but don't fire him if you're not going to be all in on building something sustainable.

Basically needs to be a coach that's shown consistent, sustained success somewhere else. As long as he's not pushing 65, age isn't a huge concern. An older guy could be better in some ways, as he's less likely to jump to a better gig if he has success. But he has to be young enough that he'll be effective for 6-8 years.

But if it ends up a younger, lower level coach, that's fine too. As long as he's shown he can build and sustain a program.

And then, as has been mentioned, you have to also invest in that persons assistant coaching staff, need a new practice facility, and need excitement and buy in from the influential NIL people.

If the admin isn't behind it, and aren't willing to step up and focus and invest heavily in to the program...Might as well not make a move. Next year's team, with Allen and his current staff intact, would likely flirt with 5-6 wins. They'll be doing it in front of 20K fans...and it'd be a clear sign we don't really care about the program's success...but don't fire him if you're not going to be all in on building something sustainable.

Are there actual "influential NIL" football people?
Or would it have to be a more grass roots, $100 huge group of people?

For one, the jury is still out on the guy working in AH. Theoretically, that’s a much easier gig than the football job.

I loved the way he sent Archie packing and swung big at Stevens, but I’m not sure Woody was a great fall-back plan. When Fife and Matta were not retained, that was pretty telling.

Reactions: kmathum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT