ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk coaches

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
I've moved on from TA; who could come in here and win?? The landscape has changed so much in the last three years with NIL leading the way.

Indiana needs a youngish, energy coach who can establish good recruiting and drum up NIL $$$. With the mergers of the conferences, I would naturally assume that Indiana has some leverage in hiring a head coach...not to mention the TV $$$.

Who you got??

1. Curt Cignetti 2) Troy Calhoun 3) Toledo's Coach 4) The guy at Army

Jamie Chadwell at Liberty would be a great hire but I don't think he'd come.
Thanks! I'm not dialed in on the up and coming young coaches, so I'm looking for this type of feedback.

I've moved on from TA. We were supposed to drive up to Bloomington yesterday, didn't happen.....not interested in watching a three win team. It is what it is

Reactions: vesuvius13
1. Curt Cignetti 2) Troy Calhoun 3) Toledo's Coach 4) The guy at Army

Jamie Chadwell at Liberty would be a great hire but I don't think he'd come.
I’ll say this, the folks who think the amount of the buyout is prohibitive are going to have a stroke when they see what investment prospective coaches are going to demand. Promised program investment was a huge deal in Kansas being able to land Leipold. Don’t think anyone we go after won’t look for the same. New indoor facility, new press box, investments in stadium exterior, are all likely things that are going to come up. The program likely needs at least a quarter of a billion dollars invested to get us on a competitive level.

Jim Leonard. He got stuck in a terrible no-win situation at Wisconsin. This guy is a true Defensive Coach who makes Tom Allen look like He is riding a tricycle with training wheels. Has experience in the Big 10, has worked with O Line Coach Bob Bostad, and would probably love to stick it to Wisconsin for making Him the fall guy for the Dumpter Fire He didn't create.

I’d add Brian Hartine from Ohio State, too, although I prefer someone with prior success as a head coach.

Reactions: Chriselli
Please explain further about Liberty. Don’t understand your comment. Thanks
The administration was ran by the Falwells until Jerry Jr resigned because he and his family got caught up in quite the scandal. All the reporting showed the family to be the grifting booze/sex/drug fueled charlatans they are. All while running a campus with rules that made the town from Footloose look like Animal House.

I have ZERO connection between the football coach and the trash that ran the school, but I am completely confident that if Jerry Falwell Jr had any opportunity to do something sleazy/illegal in order to gain an advantage for his football program he would have jumped on it faster than his wife on the pool boy.

I've moved on from TA; who could come in here and win?? The landscape has changed so much in the last three years with NIL leading the way.

Indiana needs a youngish, energy coach who can establish good recruiting and drum up NIL $$$. With the mergers of the conferences, I would naturally assume that Indiana has some leverage in hiring a head coach...not to mention the TV $$$.

Who you got??
The real question is who is at IU, or available to IU to conduct a real search? I've still got this sneaking feeling that our coach in waiting is already here. That will be the most Glass/Dolson thing ever.

The real question is who is at IU, or available to IU to conduct a real search? I've still got this sneaking feeling that our coach in waiting is already here. That will be the most Glass/Dolson thing ever.
Please no!

So you have the same feelings for places like Harvard, Columbia, Berkeley, etc. ?
How do you mean? If you mean that there’s a political disagreement, then no. I have no reason to think a whack a doodle college president has any real way of filtering down to the football team. The folks running liberty for a long term were out and out corrupt sleazebags.

So I think the more apt comparison would be hiring a crew from Michigan State. In which case I would also pass.

Jim Leonard. He got stuck in a terrible no-win situation at Wisconsin. This guy is a true Defensive Coach who makes Tom Allen look like He is riding a tricycle with training wheels. Has experience in the Big 10, has worked with O Line Coach Bob Bostad, and would probably love to stick it to Wisconsin for making Him the fall guy for the Dumpter Fire He didn't create.

The administration was ran by the Falwells until Jerry Jr resigned because he and his family got caught up in quite the scandal. All the reporting showed the family to be the grifting booze/sex/drug fueled charlatans they are. All while running a campus with rules that made the town from Footloose look like Animal House.

I have ZERO connection between the football coach and the trash that ran the school, but I am completely confident that if Jerry Falwell Jr had any opportunity to do something sleazy/illegal in order to gain an advantage for his football program he would have jumped on it faster than his wife on the pool boy.
[/QUOTE]

Jerry Falwell Jr resigned under pressure due to his personal conduct, which was embarrassing to him, his family and the university. The new president at Liberty is a 32 year USAF retired major general with prior college leadership experience and success. Yeah, Falwell messed up badly, but it would be unfair and incorrect to indict the entire university. It’s actually a pretty amazing school academically and athletically.

How do you mean? If you mean that there’s a political disagreement, then no. I have no reason to think a whack a doodle college president has any real way of filtering down to the football team. The folks running liberty for a long term were out and out corrupt sleazebags.

So I think the more apt comparison would be hiring a crew from Michigan State. In which case I would also pass.
I had to go there on business and found the medical school to be very impressive and the cleanliness of the dorms with bathrooms in many of the rooms. Campus is a nice looking place too. Can't say what it was like years ago but those people are gone. As for being a cesspool I don't recall seeing campus marches with proxies waving terrorist flags and threatening Jews. Now tell me what you don't like about the football staff because it seems they have a pretty successful program.

I’ll say this, the folks who think the amount of the buyout is prohibitive are going to have a stroke when they see what investment prospective coaches are going to demand. Promised program investment was a huge deal in Kansas being able to land Leipold. Don’t think anyone we go after won’t look for the same. New indoor facility, new press box, investments in stadium exterior, are all likely things that are going to come up. The program likely needs at least a quarter of a billion dollars invested to get us on a competitive level.
A replacement for Mellencamp is table stakes.

I had to go there on business and found the medical school to be very impressive and the cleanliness of the dorms with bathrooms in many of the rooms. Campus is a nice looking place too. Can't say what it was like years ago but those people are gone. As for being a cesspool I don't recall seeing campus marches with proxies waving terrorist flags and threatening Jews. Now tell me what you don't like about the football staff because it seems they have a pretty successful program.
Like I said, it’s the same reason I wouldn’t want a regime from MSU either. It’s gonna take longer than 3 years for the stench from the prior regime to clear for me.

Anyway, I’m open to a lt of coaching options, that’s just not one for me.

I unfortunately still fill like this is a fruitless discussion. I do not think our administration or alumni are willing to spend 20 million to buy out coach. We are not Texam A&M and will not mortgage the future of the athletic department to buy out a football coach.

I thnk Allen is back although I do believe he is over his head as a head coach. We had Deboer and that should have been our head coach. Successful experience as a head coach even before he came here as offensive coordinator.

I like Allen the person and the desire for Indiana to be successful, but he is not head coach material proven over and over again over 7 years. Plenty of time to establish yourself as a good head coach or not.

I hope we somehow get the bucket game, but it is the toilet bowl for the bottom of the Big Ten. Within one day to one week, I want a definitive decision made on the head coach.

Who you got??
if we do make a change, obviously dolson can't be allowed to make it on his own. Whitten or whoever's in charge should insist on him getting outside help.

There is likely no other hiring decision at IU that has the financial consequence that comes with choosing a new head football coach. As a result, I hope the IU Pres and reps from the BOT (Quinn?) are involved. This AD can not be trusted to make the right hire on his own.

Who you got??
Kane Wommack? Just a thought.

He's got 6 wins this year with one game (Texas State) to go. Bowling. His team beat Okie State this year, 33-7. His team also has wins over SE Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Southern Mississippi, Arkansas State and Marshall. Losses to Troy, Louisiana, James Madison, Central Michigan and Tulane.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
Kane Wommack? Just a thought.

He's got 6 wins this year with one game (Texas State) to go. Bowling. His team beat Okie State this year, 33-7. His team also has wins over SE Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Southern Mississippi, Arkansas State and Marshall. Losses to Troy, Louisiana, James Madison, Central Michigan and Tulane.
I like Kane but I think he’d be too similar to CTA for too many.

He’s also had a short run as HC with success, but not overwhelming success, and at a lower level. I don’t think he’s checking the boxes people are looking for.

his name has been bandied about a lot but I think his honeymoon would be SHORT.

Saw this on X. Syracuse fired their coach after 8 seasons:

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
Early names for Syracuse in no order: Jason Candle, Bronco Mendenhall, Doug Marrone, Tony White, Al Golden, Curt Cignetti, Jim Knowles, Sean Lewis, Bob Chesney, Liam Coen and Teryl Austin.

I like Kane but I think he’d be too similar to CTA for too many.

He’s also had a short run as HC with success, but not overwhelming success, and at a lower level. I don’t think he’s checking the boxes people are looking for.

his name has been bandied about a lot but I think his honeymoon would be SHORT.
I like Kane, too. Not sure I'd wish IU's program on him.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT

Who you got??

I'd like to give Gus Malzahn a look. 8 years in SEC with a 68-35 record. First 2 seasons at UCF he was 18-9. Has taken a step back this year in UCF's first year in the Big 12 but I think that is an excusable offense (I think all the new conference entrants are struggling). Obviously knows how to recruit in the South. He's the kind of bounce back candidate I'd like us to get.

Reactions: td75
I’m guessing because he’s Fred’s right hand man?

Dolson's only consequential hiring decision was more a firing decision than anything else, one that most people didn't think he'd make. Dolson is not responsible for Allen or Miller, but you'd think he was based on the nonsense that's posted here.

Dolson's only consequential hiring decision was more a firing decision than anything else, one that most people didn't think he'd make. Dolson is not responsible for Allen or Miller, but you'd think he was based on the nonsense that's posted here.
Did he not extend TA?

That wasn't questioned at the time. He had just put together two consecutive seasons that were among the best in IU history. Besides, that wasn't a hiring decision, which is what I'm asking about.
But don't say he's not responsible for Allen. Of course he is. He made the buyout. If he gets rid of him this year, then maybe he really isn't so much, as this is about as soon as he could dismiss him.

It's crystal clear though. Woe , if he blows this firing and hiring...

I saw Jim Loenard mentioned. Dont know if realistic but for me he'd be a home run fit. Many other great names mentioned.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT