ADVERTISEMENT

IUWBB Portal

Jssanto

All-American
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
I wanted to make the title clear so that those who do not follow ladies basketball (I did not either until the Ali Patberg years with an NIT title) could avoid reading and be disappointed.
I looked at a portal tracker a couple of days ago and there were 971 players in the portal. The portal rules have completely redone how colleges creat teams.
We lose our top two scorers (Mac and Sara) and to date have not picked up anyone. I have not seen anything about us. Are we looking? Like our existing team? Etc.
Right now I think we have a good team, perhaps 15-25 range ranking. Time will tell.

Reactions: red hornet
I wanted to make the title clear so that those who do not follow ladies basketball (I did not either until the Ali Patberg years with an NIT title) could avoid reading and be disappointed.
I looked at a portal tracker a couple of days ago and there were 971 players in the portal. The portal rules have completely redone how colleges creat teams.
We lose our top two scorers (Mac and Sara) and to date have not picked up anyone. I have not seen anything about us. Are we looking? Like our existing team? Etc.
Right now I think we have a good team, perhaps 15-25 range ranking. Time will tell.
I'd like to see a knock-down 3 pt. shooter like Sara S. and an accomplished big to replace Mac until the new hs recruits get experience. The girl from Oregon St. would be great( Beers?) I'd like to get Kendall Bostic from Illinois. but don't know if she's in the portal. Also Dee Dee Hagemann from MSU

I know we’re involved with a couple top guards. One from Nova and one from Penn State. Lots of competition. Not sure about much else. Not as many outlets for info on the women’s side.

About a week ago, the Hoosier student Goodman, with the Larry Bird nose, published an extensive list of power 5 portal entrants.

I was looking for an athletic 6'7" big for us to grab, but alas, that is the unicorn that is rarely seen.

I know we’re involved with a couple top guards. One from Nova and one from Penn State. Lots of competition. Not sure about much else. Not as many outlets for info on the women’s side.
The really good forward from Oregon State( Raegan Beers) has entered the portal since the Pac 12 has dissolved. Bring her to B'ton. Teri !

About a week ago, the Hoosier student Goodman, with the Larry Bird nose, published an extensive list of power 5 portal entrants.

I was looking for an athletic 6'7" big for us to grab, but alas, that is the unicorn that is rarely seen.
Her name is Talia, Jeff’s daughter.

I know this is bad. But I chuckled when I read it:

"With multiple Beavers in the portal, it felt like only a matter of time for Beers to enter, too."

Edit: Good (serious) info: "She’s an elite offensive talent and an excellent defender who could be a foundational player for almost any program in the country. She shoots 69 percent at the rim, according to Pivot Analysis, and has a Mackenzie Holmes-like game, except Beers is only a sophomore."

Maybe IU will reach out.

Syd and Sara were portal guys
And Jelks came in last year, but sat out most of the season.

It is clear to me that Moren's first concern is team chemistry. That probably requires more due diligence than just a look at stars.

Beers looks like a great get if we could. Wierzba had such great success with Mac it should be a good recruiting tool. But Beers plays more a 4, not sure she wants to work on a 5.

I am sure she is looking. I think she expects Beau and LaMondola to really step up. Between them and Bargasser, she probably isn't too concerned about Sara's spot. Moren isn't going to risk chemistry unless she is sure.

And Jelks came in last year, but sat out most of the season.

It is clear to me that Moren's first concern is team chemistry. That probably requires more due diligence than just a look at stars.

Beers looks like a great get if we could. Wierzba had such great success with Mac it should be a good recruiting tool. But Beers plays more a 4, not sure she wants to work on a 5.

I am sure she is looking. I think she expects Beau and LaMondola to really step up. Between them and Bargasser, she probably isn't too concerned about Sara's spot. Moren isn't going to risk chemistry unless she is sure.
I think you are correct about chemistry. That comes thru in her pressers as well as the players post game comments.
I thought it looked like Beau came in and played guard (I have tremendous hope for her as a big jump in scoring for next season) but when Lamendola came in Jules was more a F. Did anybody else feel that way? They are both 6’1”. Neither scored much but with Syd, Sara, Mac, Yarden, and Chloe, we didn’t need the bench to score. More to just make stops.
But without Mac and Sara we have to replace 35 points per game.

I think you are correct about chemistry. That comes thru in her pressers as well as the players post game comments.
I thought it looked like Beau came in and played guard (I have tremendous hope for her as a big jump in scoring for next season) but when Lamendola came in Jules was more a F. Did anybody else feel that way? They are both 6’1”. Neither scored much but with Syd, Sara, Mac, Yarden, and Chloe, we didn’t need the bench to score. More to just make stops.
But without Mac and Sara we have to replace 35 points per game.
I also thought that Jules L. played more at F when she came in the game. Lenee played more of a slashing guard. Both are fine with me but I'd like to see improved outside shooting from both and especially from Lexi B.( but that could be a stretch) We NEED R. Beers!

I don’t know where we stand with bigs.
Lilly is very reliable and will get rebounds and score some points, but I don’t think (without a big off season jump) she will take over games like Mac. Freshmen, Syd Fenn and Faith Wiseman, are just freshman. I am not counting on too much from them but would love to be surprised.
I agree a transfer big would be great.

I don’t know where we stand with bigs.
Lilly is very reliable and will get rebounds and score some points, but I don’t think (without a big off season jump) she will take over games like Mac. Freshmen, Syd Fenn and Faith Wiseman, are just freshman. I am not counting on too much from them but would love to be surprised.
I agree a transfer big would be great.
I have a feeling that Faith Wiseman will have a breakout year this next year, even as a freshman.

I have a feeling that Faith Wiseman will have a breakout year this next year, even as a freshman.
Not seeing based on her highlights. She needs a lot of work, imo. I don't presently see her as a capable backup for this year. I agree with Jssanto that a portal big, to at least split time with Lilly, would be a very welcome development. Lilly's probably an above average BT center, but the FF showed that you need a serious talent down low to compete at the highest level. Even MHs, as much as we liked and admired her, would have struggled against those players. I like the '25 recruits, but I'm not thrilled with the roster as it stands going into '24/'25. Maybe TM has confidence in Jelks?

Last edited:
Not seeing based on her highlights. She needs a lot of work, imo. I don't presently see her as a capable backup for this year. I agree with Jssanto that a portal big, to at least split time with Lilly, would be a very welcome development. Lilly's probably an above average BT center, but the FF showed that you need a serious talent down low to compete at the highest level. Even MHs, as much as we liked and admired her, would have struggled against those players. I like the '25 recruits, but I'm not thrilled with the roster as it stands going into '24/'25. Maybe TM has confidence in Jelks?
Jelks is interesting. Trivial playing time last year. Moren said injuries and “personal stuff”.
If someone were to transfer, I would guess her. If she stays I think she may be practice help, but not game help.

ven MHs, as much as we liked and admired her, would have struggled against those players
would have? She struggled vs the USC girl, Cordoza? The female version of Zach Edey. That's who I'd have taken #1 based just on impact she might have on a team in Ws/Ls. Hard to calculate though with the financial impact Caitlin Clark will have.

Reactions: Irregulars
Jelks is interesting. Trivial playing time last year. Moren said injuries and “personal stuff”.
If someone were to transfer, I would guess her. If she stays I think she may be practice help, but not game help.

She was going to be highly recruited out of HS until she hurt her knee. Everybody other than TN Martin backed off at that point. Then she was freshman of the year and one of the better players in her league.

I would not be surprised if she transferred; however, I would be surprised if she stays and is not hurt, and then does not make the rotation.

would have? She struggled vs the USC girl, Cordoza? The female version of Zach Edey. That's who I'd have taken #1 based just on impact she might have on a team in Ws/Ls. Hard to calculate though with the financial impact Caitlin Clark will have.
The Fever drafter Aaliyah Boston, who started over Cardozza at SC, last year. Why on earth would they even consider drafting her backup #1 over CC?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT