ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois 2024

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
I thought it would be interesting to do a series of threads about the prospects of our BT competition next year.

This won't be intended to be a thorough vetting....just an initial look at who projects to be in the rotation at the BT non-western 14 (I''ll leave the Pac 4 teams to someone else).

Lets begin with Illinois.

They lost all but one of their top 8 scorers, assuming Goode remains in the portal as expected. They have a good but not great HS recruiting class. Also, a good but not great portal class, imo.

Based on what I've seen their rotation would likely include**:

--6'3 PG Kylan Boswell, TR from AZ
--6'10" Casey Booth, TR from ND
--6'6" Ty Rogers, a returning starter
--6'8: Morez Johnson, a highly regarded (35 or so) HS recruit
--6'7" Trey White, TR from UL
--6'3" Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn
--6'6" Jake Davis, TR from Mercer. This is an interesting kid. He's not particularly highly rated by 247 or ON3, but I'm not sure why not. Last year, as a true freshman, he shot 48% on 2s, 39% on 3s, and 85% on FTs. He's a high volume 3 pt shooter, taking twice as many 3s as 2s. And a decent-good rebounder for 6'6". He's listed at 6'6" 220 lbs, and was lightly recruited out of Indianapolis Cathedral HS.

There is a huge ?? about Illinois basketball next year. Marcus Domask has hired an atty and applied for an extra year of eligibility He's played 5 years, but only played in 10 games one of his years at SIU, and is seeking another year.

Other players who could fight for some pt are little guard Nicolo Moretti (European) and 6'10" freshman recruit Jason Sakstys.

Predictions...........I'm not aware of any additional high value portal guys Illinois may be recruiting....as things stand, without Domask, they look like a team that might finish between 6th and 9th in the expanded BT. Outside shooting could be an issue if Davis struggles, and there is no proven center. But there is some talent. Add Domask and they probably are more like a 4th-7th team, imo.

Thoughts?

**EDIT--6'9" Ben Humrichous, from Evansville added to rotation. Domask will not challenge eligibilty.

Last edited:
I thought it would be interesting to do a series of threads about the prospects of our BT competition next year.

This won't be intended to be a thorough vetting....just an initial look at who projects to be in the rotation at the BT non-western 14 (I''ll leave the Pac 4 teams to someone else).

They lost all but one of their top 8 scorers, assuming Goode remains in the portal as expected. They have a good but not great HS recruiting class. Also, a good but not great portal class, imo.

Based on what I've seen their rotation would likely include:

--6'3" Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn
--6'6" Jake Davis, TR from Mercer. This is an interesting kid. He's not particularly highly rated by 247 or ON3, but I'm not sure why not. Last year, as a true freshman, he shot 48% on 2s, 39% on 3s, and 85% on FTs. He's a high volume 3 pt shooter, taking twice as many 3s as 2s. And a decent-good rebounder for 6'6". He's listed at 6'6" 220 lbs, and was lightly recruited out of Indianapolis Cathedral HS.

There is a huge ?? about Illinois basketball next year. Marcus Domask has hired an atty and applied for an extra year of eligibility He's played 5 years, but only played in 10 games one of his years at SIU, and is seeking another year.

Other players who could fight for some pt are little guard Nicolo Moretti (European) and 6'10" freshman recruit Jason Sakstys.

Predictions...........I'm not aware of any additional high value portal guys Illinois may be recruiting....as things stand, without Domask, they look like a team that might finish between 6th and 9th in the expanded BT. Outside shooting could be an issue if Davis struggles, and there is no proven center. But there is some talent. Add Domask and they probably are more like a 4th-7th team, imo.

Thoughts?
Good coach, and he'll likely get them to play hard. I think the great unknown when you have to add so many players from the portal how the chemistry is. Sometimes it works and sometimes it takes awhile to gel, and sometimes it never does. I'd think based on what you projected, they'd be more in the 4-7 range, and even higher if "it works" before the B10 season gets rolling.

--6'3" Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn

Thoughts?
I think Dainja was a big loss to them. He really came on strong at end of year and the NCAA tourney.

Reactions: Vern Pain and kkott

--6'3" Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn

Thoughts?
I loved Jake Davis when he was at Cathedral. He would hit important 3's and would seem to take a lot of charges. He was a disrupter.

I loved Jake Davis when he was at Cathedral. He would hit important 3's and would seem to take a lot of charges. He was a disrupter.
Good to hear from someone who saw him play.

247 has him rated at 299---seems very low given his age & stats. For reference, Goode checked in at 115, CJ Gunn at 208.

Illinois must also feel he's underrated.

Reactions: VanPastorMan

--6'3" Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn

Thoughts?
Illinois just offered Ben Humrichous big money

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT