ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Kombat

Pryght

Junior
Nov 24, 2005
I've got to give credit where credit is due. Woody has flipped the script.

March 7th: Liam McNeeley decommits (-)
March 10th: Galloway & Leal announce return (+)
March 19th: Gunn, Banks, & Sparks to Transfer Portal (+)
March 21st: Malik Reneau announces return (+)
March 28th: Bryson Tucker commits (+)
March 30th: Mackenzie Mgbako announces return (+)
April 12th: Myles Rice commits (+)
April 16th: Oumar Ballo commits (+)
April 20th: Kanaan Carlyle commits (+)

Given the adversity that our program experienced this year, it's a wonder that we're in the position we are, especially when you look around at all of the other incomplete teams that have been eviscerated by Portal Kombat. I'm not sure if the front court pieces are going to fit together, but right now, I don't care. At present, we have at least 7 starters on the team, and three scholarships (and hopefully more money bags) left. So what if our roster reminds us of the cast of Blue Chips, the horse has left the barn. At the end of the day, I doubt most of these guys were JUST following the paychecks. Woody had to sell them on his vision.

Three scholarships left... Keep cookin' Woody.

Finish 'em.

GLpALTNaYAAj_Qi

Starting 5

Ballo - C
Reneau - F
Mgbako- F
Carlyle - G
Rice - G

Bench

Leal - G
Galloway - G
Cupps - G
Tucker- F
Newton - G
Need New - C/F
Need New- G
Need New - G/F

Woody has done a good job. I really like Rice and Carlyle — proven sophomores who can be here awhile.

A lot of credit to the big donors too, they make this possible. Even the fans (true and not true) have given a lot to help (easily over $1 million).

I’ll consider the script flipped when we play like a top-15 team. Need our spending to line up with the results.

Last edited:
There are six rock solid proven players on the roster. Tucker is a five star recruit. That is a good top 7. Just need a little more depth.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Woody has done a good job. I really like Rice and Carlyle — proven sophomores who can be here awhile.

A lot of credit to the big donors too, they make this possible. Even the fans (true and not true) have given a lot to help (easily over $1 million).

I’ll consider the script flipped when we play like a top-15 team. Just my opinion, not that it matters.
This is how everyone should feel, while it's great to land who you want on the recruiting trail at the end of the day winning is all that's going to matter.

We were saying the same thing last year. Doesn't mean much if you aren't playing in March.
All I remember from last year's off-season is a boatload of criticism for Coach not adding a top guard and top shooting. (Which as the season went, proved correct.) We were all hoping for solid improvement in shooting from those we had.

I don't recall at all people saying the same things as now. I know we were pleased about those players we did get, you're right there. But lots of criticism for what we didn't add.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat, very critical of his recruiting strategy but he's landed pretty much everyone he's wanted while bringing all the key players back.

We'll see If he can win big or not but with the talent we have they should at least make a sweet 16.
I’d love to see a S16 run. Hell, I’d be ecstatic with and E8 again before I go, but this staff is going to have to prove it to me. Love the additions (and subtractions), but I need to see some actual coaching where we all go “damn! Woody hoodwinked coach x!” That’d be sweet!

I deleted my post about IU not having any double figure scorers on the roster going into last season. Sparks averaged double figures at Ball State but he played so little I forgot about him. The point is that IU has six players who averaged double figures in scoring at the HIGH major level. These men are seasoned and have gone up against the best.

woodsom didnt recuirt mo one they were bought for him lets see what he does
Same goes for every school in basketball currently ..fwiw - If the staff gets blamed for lack of recruiting last year, which was poorly done and deserved, then give them credit for bringing them in this year .. ..

Unless it's okay to be a complete hypocrite

We recruited some good players last year that ended up elsewhere. It bit us in the ass and we severely lacked guard play.

That issue has been taken care of ....

Mind-boggling. Woody is one lucky SOB for sure. The upshot is that the excuses are all gone at this point. Anyone who buys into that BS now just enjoys getting pissed on and told that it’s raining….
like i said he got all these coin to buy these guys and he did. Now all the excuses are gone he has to win and he has to win big period.

All I remember from last year's off-season is a boatload of criticism for Coach not adding a top guard and top shooting. (Which as the season went, proved correct.) We were all hoping for solid improvement in shooting from those we had.

I don't recall at all people saying the same things as now. I know we were pleased about those players we did get, you're right there. But lots of criticism for what we didn't add.
he also had two million less last year to buy guys. This year he had top money to buy guys. No excuses now. He isnt some recruiting genius he has double the money most big ten programs had to buy guys. He now has to win period.

he also had two million less last year to buy guys. This year he had top money to buy guys. No excuses now. He isnt some recruiting genius he has double the money most big ten programs had to buy guys. He now has to win period.
It's like you're mad that IU has done well on the trail. I get it, it's hard to bash a coach when he's pretty much batted 1000 this off-season.

It's like you're mad that IU has done well on the trail. I get it, it's hard to bash a coach when he's pretty much batted 1000 this off-season.
nope i love iu but i am not sold on woodson at all. I have seen three years now and i am at a point he has to prove it on the court period. I have not been impressed with him and now i think with this talent he has to win and has to win big. Its great he won the portal but that means nothing to me anymore until he wins big on the court. I dont care what he batted honestly we go through this every summer so just win.

I’ll consider the script flipped when we play like a top-15 team. Need our spending to line up with the results.
I would not assume any of these portal players will stay through graduation. I believe roster cleansing and turnover is here to stay.

Reactions: DANC

How much money did Woody have last year vs. this year? I haven't found this information published anywhere.

I would not assume any of these portal players will stay through graduation. I believe roster cleansing and turnover is here to stay.

I disagree. This is Ballo's last season, so it's all but guaranteed. With Rice and Carlyle, I wouldn't anticipate either transferring out (Carlyle has NBA potential). I look at it this way. How many of our blue chip players did we lose to the portal last year? Zero. How many of our blue chip players did we lose this year? Zero. If guys are content with their minutes, they will stick around. No one wants to leave their job and take a paycut, especially with the media coverage IU receives.

Recruiting is good. I'm convinced we are doing well because we got plenty of $$$ to pay players and Woody has proven he can develop NBA talent already. (Good for us.)

I'm guessing we have a payroll somewhere around $5M for the team so far.
(Reported that Zona Big was looking for $1.2 in the portal and Reneau and MM were $750-$1.5 each)
While that sounds like an advantage, appears others are same or better. See Memphis and FedEx.

Spend away and let's win something; B1G reg, B1G tournament, regional, or national.
I love the portal game, but these kids are no longer student athletes. Pros getting paid. Not sure I care anymore. No reason kids and parents can't cash in while everyone around them is making billions.
New world. Let's thrive.
Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT