ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone open to optimism?

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Do I need to issue a disclaimer before hand about how I think moving on from Woodson would be the best move?...

But, there are very tiny slivers of light...

1. Watching the team play right now, they look like they genuinely like each other. Examples...when Walker got hurt, and it was time for him to be carried off the court, half the team was stumbling over themselves to come help him. Also...later in the second half, Trey was pushing a secondary break, and he stopped and turned and flipped it back to Mgbako for a three. After the play, you could see how excited Trey was for Mgbako. Obviously playing well, and winning, improves everyone's mood. But it just looks like this team is much more bought in than most are giving them credit for. That's a big factor for the health and direction of the program.

2. Until we know who is leaving...the possibility of a solid, core group of players returning, could explain both Woodson being retained, AND McNeeley backing out. There was a lot of smoke in recent weeks about Woody, the players all leaving, etc... Maybe Dolson got assurances from a handful of the key/core players, that they'll return if Woody returns? And maybe McNeeley had been banking on a couple of them being gone when he committed? McNeeley is going to get close to 7 figures wherever he goes...if a place like Kansas has less returning starters on the wing, better chances he'll be featured more...and they are in the process of sending Furphy to the NBA.

3. Galloway, Leal, Mack, Malik, Cupps, Newton, Sparks... And then with the Brinks truck it sounds like he might have...go get 3 impact, starter level perimeter players. And use the leverage, he has earned, from TJD and Ware...to go get an elite big, all from the portal.

Obviously, if the rumors of mass player exodus are true, and we don't get very many core guys back. Then next year could end up being worse. I just think a lot of the doomsday talk about "0-32", "worse than Crean's first year", etc... are just incredibly unlikely.

And I'm still giving Dolson enough credit that he's got a good handle on the program. He's proven that in all our other sports programs. I'm not sure why men's bball would be any different.

I don't know what it ends up looking like, but I bet next year will be a lot better than most are predicting it will be right now. But I'm not certain him coming back automatically means we're going to be worse next year.

I still wish we'd move on...I think its obvious Woodson won't ever win big things at IU...so why not move on and find a guy that will/could?

Yes. It’s simple. Coach Michael Dean Woodson. Is the man for the job. Simple. He’s old-school fundamentals. He supports the troops. the flag, and the national anthem. Most importantly, he stands for christian values. Coach Michael Dean Woodson. Begins and ends every practice with a prayer. And then he goes to church with the team every sunday. And yes, it’s mandatory for all. Coach Michael Dean Woodson (CMDW). Believes it’s mandatory for the good lord to enter these young men’s lives. If you fire him, the players are one step closer to satan.

#IsupportCMDW

Reactions: edub72
Yes. It’s simple. Coach Michael Dean Woodson. Is the man for the job. Simple. He’s old-school fundamentals. He supports the troops. the flag, and the national anthem. Most importantly, he stands for christian values. Coach Michael Dean Woodson. Begins and ends every practice with a prayer. And then he goes to church with the team every sunday. And yes, it’s mandatory for all. Coach Michael Dean Woodson (CMDW). Believes it’s mandatory for the good lord to enter these young men’s lives. If you fire him, the players are one step closer to satan.

#IsupportCMDW
He's one step further away from the Good Lord than John Vincent Calipari. Brother John's dedication to the children and youth of our world is evident every winter when he focuses his work study program on very talented, but very young people. His model and program hasn't had much success lately, but he remains steadfast in his dedication to youngsters.

Your presence here is unnecessary. Go find a Big Blue circle jerk somewhere, and get the couches ready for when your talented freshmen crap the bed here in a couple weeks.

He's one step further away from the Good Lord than John Vincent Calipari. Brother John's dedication to the children and youth of our world is evident every winter when he focuses his work study program on very talented, but very young people. His model and program hasn't had much success lately, but he remains steadfast in his dedication to youngsters.

Your presence here is unnecessary. Go find a Big Blue circle jerk somewhere, and get the couches ready for when your talented freshmen crap the bed here in a couple weeks.
Calipari does attend mass every morning when he is in Lexington. don't know what this has to do with basketball. do we have a nice synagogue in Bloomington to lure Pearl.

Do I need to issue a disclaimer before hand about how I think moving on from Woodson would be the best move?...

1. Watching the team play right now, they look like they genuinely like each other. Examples...when Walker got hurt, and it was time for him to be carried off the court, half the team was stumbling over themselves to come help him. Also...later in the second half, Trey was pushing a secondary break, and he stopped and turned and flipped it back to Mgbako for a three. After the play, you could see how excited Trey was for Mgbako. Obviously playing well, and winning, improves everyone's mood. But it just looks like this team is much more bought in than most are giving them credit for. That's a big factor for the health and direction of the program.

2. Until we know who is leaving...the possibility of a solid, core group of players returning, could explain both Woodson being retained, AND McNeeley backing out. There was a lot of smoke in recent weeks about Woody, the players all leaving, etc... Maybe Dolson got assurances from a handful of the key/core players, that they'll return if Woody returns? And maybe McNeeley had been banking on a couple of them being gone when he committed? McNeeley is going to get close to 7 figures wherever he goes...if a place like Kansas has less returning starters on the wing, better chances he'll be featured more...and they are in the process of sending Furphy to the NBA.

3. Galloway, Leal, Mack, Malik, Cupps, Newton, Sparks... And then with the Brinks truck it sounds like he might have...go get 3 impact, starter level perimeter players. And use the leverage, he has earned, from TJD and Ware...to go get an elite big, all from the portal.

Obviously, if the rumors of mass player exodus are true, and we don't get very many core guys back. Then next year could end up being worse. I just think a lot of the doomsday talk about "0-32", "worse than Crean's first year", etc... are just incredibly unlikely.

And I'm still giving Dolson enough credit that he's got a good handle on the program. He's proven that in all our other sports programs. I'm not sure why men's bball would be any different.

I don't know what it ends up looking like, but I bet next year will be a lot better than most are predicting it will be right now. But I'm not certain him coming back automatically means we're going to be worse next year.

I still wish we'd move on...I think its obvious Woodson won't ever win big things at IU...so why not move on and find a guy that will/could?
I'm impressed with your optimism. And you just laid out what is possibly the absolute BEST case scenario, and that almost never happens. I suspect we'll have another season much like this one, either way. I'm still in wait and see mode because until you know what your roster looks like, it's really stupid to get too high or low.

Do we know when the portal closes in the spring?

We need a total miracle in the portal. I doubt many good players will want to come to this #90-100 ranked program in turmoil. We have a lot of NIL and no recruits — it’s clear recruits aren’t interested in Woodson’s program. We’ll see, but this looks like a disaster.

Reactions: bsmitty08
We need a total miracle in the portal. I doubt many good players will want to come to this #90-100 ranked program in turmoil. We have a lot of NIL and no recruits — it’s clear recruits aren’t interested in Woodson’s program. We’ll see, but this looks like a disaster.
I don't know...there are literally hundreds of really good players to choose from every year. And it sounds like we'll have as much, or more, money to throw around than anyone else. Woodson got some decent players last year, he just didn't force/focus on the right kinds of players.

1. He will get an elite big man, of some sort. TJD, Ware...too compelling for him not to have multiple NBA caliber bigs from the portal interested.

2. With the right pitch, and any sort of ability to portray a vision of more balanced style of play...our NIL money will attract perimeter players too. (He does need to change his style and philosophy for this to happen though)

IF, IF, we get a handful of our better players to return, and the above 2 things happen...we can be better next year. And it wouldn't be any sort of miracle, in my opinion.

The team put together 3 solid halves in a row, so that's nice. Lots of question marks going forward.

Can they keep playing that well? Can they pull a minor miracle and win 4 in a row next week? Who leaves? Will Woodson pull a spring recruit? Can he improve us with a bunch of portal kids? We will see.

I'm very optimistic. McNeely was likely one and done and I'm tired of these type of players. It could mean the end of Woody and I'm tired of him as our coach. It could mean Woody lands 3-4 proven kids or experienced hired guns and we actually improve next season.

I'm impressed with your optimism. And you just laid out what is possibly the absolute BEST case scenario, and that almost never happens. I suspect we'll have another season much like this one, either way. I'm still in wait and see mode because until you know what your roster looks like, it's really stupid to get too high or low.

Do we know when the portal closes in the spring?
First thing I saw says March 18 to May 1 is the spring portal window. I believe that only refers to entering the portal...the players have until whenever they want to actually sign. Could be wrong on that.

I think what I represented is a pretty optimistic view, for sure. But I also don't think it involves outlandish, overly unrealistic...things.

Facts...

X and Walker are done.

Incredibly likely...

Woody is back next year.
Ware will go pro.

I would say that really anything else is some level of "up in the air", at this point. So why not be optimistic? I had that adrenaline rush these last couple games when we played well. So while I certainly would prefer we were moving on, and had the unbridled optimism of a new coaching staff... Since that looks incredibly unlikely...moving on, how can we be good next year?

When your one signee...who happens to be a high level one, is no longer on the escape watch list...but has in fact tunneled under the fence....that means its probably time to rename Assemby Hall to Mercenaries-R-Us. We are looking at a roster overall not only next year...but likely every year Woodson is around.

To your original question, in a word.

NO

When your one signee...who happens to be a high level one, is no longer on the escape watch list...but has in fact tunneled under the fence....that means its probably time to rename Assemby Hall to Mercenaries-R-Us. We are looking at a roster overall not only next year...but likely every year Woodson is around.
Maybe...

What if 5-6 guys return, and he's able to sign 2-3 good underclassmen in the portal?

There are realistic ways he can stabilize the roster. It is very possible we'll have the mass exodus, and he'll only be able to get 1 year "mercenary" type guys in the portal, and we'll be back in this boat a year from now. Its also very possible we'll have a decent amount of returning and multi year guys on the roster next year.

He's not going to assemble a perfect, well balanced, elite level roster.
He's also not going to lose EVERYONE, and replace them all with 1 year players.

It'll land somewhere in between those extremes.

Who comes back is not a hurt on Liam if he were to come. We could have went
MR
MM- doubt he is back
Liam-
Galloway/Portal guard
Portal guard

Maybe...

What if 5-6 guys return, and he's able to sign 2-3 good underclassmen in the portal?

There are realistic ways he can stabilize the roster. It is very possible we'll have the mass exodus, and he'll only be able to get 1 year "mercenary" type guys in the portal, and we'll be back in this boat a year from now. Its also very possible we'll have a decent amount of returning and multi year guys on the roster next year.

He's not going to assemble a perfect, well balanced, elite level roster.
He's also not going to lose EVERYONE, and replace them all with 1 year players.

It'll land somewhere in between those extremes.
Somewhere in the middle looks alot like the same .500 results we have seen for Woodson's entire coaching career. Raise your glass for consistency, if nothing else.

Who comes back is not a hurt on Liam if he were to come. We could have went
MR
MM- doubt he is back
Liam-
Galloway/Portal guard
Portal guard
You/we think that way. Maybe one of the reasons Liam committed was the likelihood that Mack and Trey were gonna be gone? And he liked the idea of being the main focus on the wing? And maybe now he's hearing they're both gonna be back?

My main point, there are sooo many possibilities right now for why all these things are happening...and not ALL of them HAVE to be horrible, negative, the program is ending...

Admittedly, I'm not in the optimism camp at the moment. Since I want him gone, #3 is the most scary to me but also feel it's the least likely. Everything is a huge what if. I'm just sitting here wondering what the flip is going on with your program Coach? Going to be interesting to say the least and possibly ugly.

Somewhere in the middle looks alot like the same .500 results we have seen for Woodson's entire coaching career. Raise your glass for consistency, if nothing else.
Didn't say its what I'd prefer. Just pushing back on the doomsday predictions.

Liam just proved money isnt goint to matter to the top players they can go to better winning programs and get paid just the same. Woodson will likely get the leftovers who are just looking to get paid. But the real difference makers in the portal will most likely want to go to winning programs. Woodson is also in a much weaker position than he was last sping given how the season went. He really does not have much to sell a recruit on other than money. And other coaches will certainly be using the Liam decommit against him.

Reactions: PanDatrick
I'll try like hell to be optimistic but not holding my breath:

MR (pay him a million dollars to come back)
MM (pay him $1.5 million dollars to come back)
TG
Luke Goode (pay him in the high 6 figure range which would be a drastic overpay)
Jalen Blackmon ($500k)

Galloway running the point doesn't bother me as much if you surround him with wing shooters/scorers like MM, Goode, and Blackmon.

Get a rim protector and another wing forward with some versatility along with Sparks to come off the bench and a spot up shooter comfortable playing 7-8th man minutes (Essegian?) with Cupps and potentially a healthy Newton in the backcourt.

Last edited:
Admittedly, I'm not in the optimism camp at the moment. Since I want him gone, #3 is the most scary to me but also feel it's the least likely. Everything is a huge what if. I'm just sitting here wondering what the flip is going on with your program Coach? Going to be interesting to say the least and possibly ugly.
I think ALL those fellas returning, AND him getting 3-4 starter level, impact players, including 2-3 perimeter players...isn't likely.

They just look a lot happier, and more together, than I would have guessed they'd be.

We have changed, adjusted, and improved in the last month or so. So its not out of the question that Woody will be open to more fundamental changes in his program.

And this team was literally some "Margin of victory and defeats" away from being an NCAA tournament team again this year. As bad as we all think it has went, and it hasn't been good, for certain. But if we had more soundly beaten Army, FGCU, Harvard, etc... if we had put forth even a little better fights against UConn, Auburn, and Purdue...we'd be an NCAA tournament team right now. Our NET would be in the 50-60 range, and the game on Sunday would be about solidifying an NCAA bid...not some moral victory of finishing the season strong.

In short, we weren't THAT far off being an NCAA team this year. I know that's not what the bar should be. But that's the bar that keeps most of our fans quiet and content, of late. I don't think Woody is the guy to ever raise that expectation bar much further above NCAA bid...but I think he'll keep our floor up high enough to not burn the program down, until the time does come for IU to move on from him.

Liam just proved money isnt goint to matter to the top players they can go to better winning programs and get paid just the same. Woodson will likely get the leftovers who are just looking to get paid. But the real difference makers in the portal will most likely want to go to winning programs. Woodson is also in a much weaker position than he was last sping given how the season went. He really does not have much to sell a recruit on other than money. And other coaches will certainly be using the Liam decommit against him.
There are enough good players out there, that the "left overs" could be impactful for IU, and could make us a better team.

I'll try like hell to be optimistic but not holding my breath:

MR (pay him a million dollars to come back)
MM (pay him $1.5 million dollars to come back)
TG
Luke Goode (pay him in the high 6 figure range which would be a drastic overpay)
Jalen Blackmon ($500k)

Galloway running the point doesn't bother me as much if you surround him with wing shooters/scorers like MM, Goode, and Blackmon.

Get a rim protector and another wing forward with some versatility along with Sparks to come off the bench and a spot up shooter comfortable playing 7-8th man minutes Essegian?) with Cupps and potentially a healthy Newton in the backcourt.
It appears that the February 25 talking points are already available. "These guys are starting to learn to play together...beginning to gel". "We should find out what we are made of over the next few games."

No

No it won't be as bad as Creans first yr.
But it'll be mediocre at best..Just treading water.
While Woodson collects $4.2 million.
I'm over treading water ! I'm getting old.
Ready for obnoxious winning !!!

#IsupportCMDW
slow week at the meth lab Richie?

You/we think that way. Maybe one of the reasons Liam committed was the likelihood that Mack and Trey were gonna be gone? And he liked the idea of being the main focus on the wing? And maybe now he's hearing they're both gonna be back?

My main point, there are sooo many possibilities right now for why all these things are happening...and not ALL of them HAVE to be horrible, negative, the program is ending...
I highly highly highly highly doubt that is true. Liam has seen how bad our scheme was this year and is wanting to play for a high profile winning team. Heck his high school team has more competition for playing time and focus than we do.

I consider myself an extreme optimist and I can't find anything to be optimistic about except the football program. Woody appears either in over his head, disinterested in what it takes to be successful in college, or both. Him not appearing hungry reflects on the players not giving it their all. College is a young man's game - we need a coach who can relate to kids. It's Dusty May time.

I don't know...there are literally hundreds of really good players to choose from every year. And it sounds like we'll have as much, or more, money to throw around than anyone else. Woodson got some decent players last year, he just didn't force/focus on the right kinds of players.

1. He will get an elite big man, of some sort. TJD, Ware...too compelling for him not to have multiple NBA caliber bigs from the portal interested.

2. With the right pitch, and any sort of ability to portray a vision of more balanced style of play...our NIL money will attract perimeter players too. (He does need to change his style and philosophy for this to happen though)

IF, IF, we get a handful of our better players to return, and the above 2 things happen...we can be better next year. And it wouldn't be any sort of miracle, in my opinion.

I'm open to being optimistic. What you say is true - there are hundreds of players available and they are good basketball players. Could you imagine Ryan Langhorn of Northwestern on IU this year?

I follow Loyola-Chicago and they totally remade their team this year. Des Watson has been great for them after not doing much at Davidson the previous year.

Look no further than another team I follow: Illinois. Shannon last year and Guerrier, Domask and Justin Harmon this year.

There's a million guys we've never heard of out there that would make us great. The problem is can our staff identify them? The evidence so far says they can't and that, more than anything, is the issue.

You keep posting these “optimistic “ scenarios and they make me want to hurl.

Blow the whole thing up I say.

Your scenario sounds great for Woodson, and terrible for the long term arc of the program.

IMHO

You're getting older: hope you stretched before you try and reach that far! 1) I don't think LM is worried about PT with TG and MM. If you wanted to be positive think that CMW was going to modernize and go to a 4 out offense with MR/PS at the 5 and have TG, LM and MM on the wing. Then we'd only need a ball handler or 2 and another post and it could've been a very solid team. The kid is projecting as a 1 and done, he wants to play for a team that's going to have some success if he is in college only 1 year. Far more likely he's hearing the same rumors TrillyD did about mass defections (Trilly claimed during the Boogie saga he doesn't post anything he can verify from 2 different sources) and sees the writing on the wall.

After watching CMW's MSU presser, and how he stonewalls the reporters who are just trying to do their jobs, it feels way more likely the worries about him not getting out and recruiting/working are more on target.

My initial reaction to the decommitment was that McNeely will be on an opponent's team next year...and light up IU like Clark Griswold lights up his house at Christmas. That is going to chap some arses if/when that happens.

• Haha
Reactions: CriticArisen
I think ALL those fellas returning, AND him getting 3-4 starter level, impact players, including 2-3 perimeter players...isn't likely.

They just look a lot happier, and more together, than I would have guessed they'd be.

We have changed, adjusted, and improved in the last month or so. So its not out of the question that Woody will be open to more fundamental changes in his program.

And this team was literally some "Margin of victory and defeats" away from being an NCAA tournament team again this year. As bad as we all think it has went, and it hasn't been good, for certain. But if we had more soundly beaten Army, FGCU, Harvard, etc... if we had put forth even a little better fights against UConn, Auburn, and Purdue...we'd be an NCAA tournament team right now. Our NET would be in the 50-60 range, and the game on Sunday would be about solidifying an NCAA bid...not some moral victory of finishing the season strong.

In short, we weren't THAT far off being an NCAA team this year. I know that's not what the bar should be. But that's the bar that keeps most of our fans quiet and content, of late. I don't think Woody is the guy to ever raise that expectation bar much further above NCAA bid...but I think he'll keep our floor up high enough to not burn the program down, until the time does come for IU to move on from him.
Yep they do seem a little more together the last few games. However we are what we are, we didn't(couldn't?) do those things in paragraph 4 so our NET isn't in the 50-60 range. But, you give me hope then, I'm one hot bod and 12 inch donger away from being able to date Margot Robbie. We'll just have to wait and see what shakes out with the roster and hope Woody can reinvent himself, unlikely in my view. In the meantime I'll work on the bod and other things and have hope for Woody.

We could definitely rebuild the team through the portal. The Big question is if Woody and staff are capable and history says no they aren't. So far they have been effing horrible at building a balanced roster.

Reactions: Al Bino
I'm open to being optimistic. What you say is true - there are hundreds of players available and they are good basketball players. Could you imagine Ryan Langhorn of Northwestern on IU this year?

I follow Loyola-Chicago and they totally remade their team this year. Des Watson has been great for them after not doing much at Davidson the previous year.

Look no further than another team I follow: Illinois. Shannon last year and Guerrier, Domask and Justin Harmon this year.

There's a million guys we've never heard of out there that would make us great. The problem is can our staff identify them? The evidence so far says they can't and that, more than anything, is the issue.
The biggest issue is what good guard is going to what to come here and run an offense where all you do it throw it into the post. Mcneely watched all year and saw this. He said no thanks

Reactions: Seyton

I take it you aren’t a supporter of CMDW?

You're getting older: hope you stretched before you try and reach that far! 1) I don't think LM is worried about PT with TG and MM. If you wanted to be positive think that CMW was going to modernize and go to a 4 out offense with MR/PS at the 5 and have TG, LM and MM on the wing. Then we'd only need a ball handler or 2 and another post and it could've been a very solid team. The kid is projecting as a 1 and done, he wants to play for a team that's going to have some success if he is in college only 1 year. Far more likely he's hearing the same rumors TrillyD did about mass defections (Trilly claimed during the Boogie saga he doesn't post anything he can verify from 2 different sources) and sees the writing on the wall.

After watching CMW's MSU presser, and how he stonewalls the reporters who are just trying to do their jobs, it feels way more likely the worries about him not getting out and recruiting/working are more on target.
Trilly has been about as accurate as Rabjohns in the past few weeks, hasn't he?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT