ADVERTISEMENT

Is Woody gonna struggle to get ANY guards, yet again?

You realize they played into mid-March, right? The season didn't end 1/1/24. You cherry pick six games (one he played 23 min) from Nov/Dec as a meaningful sample. No statistician I guess. I'll stand by my statement. He played 30+ and through mistakes a majority of the time. Especially the end of the season.
You inferred that 5* freshman can waltz into Bloomington and play with impunity from the jump. That was the entire premise of your post. That isn't at all what happened with Mgbako. Mgbako was literally unplayable at the end of games for the first two months of the season and sat on the bench in crunch time. That literally contradicts your opening statement. Giving longer leashes to freshman as they progress throughout the year isn't some idea that starts and stops with Woodson and IU. I think you're crazy if you think someone like Tucker is going to play 30mpg out of the gate next year because of some imaginary ideology you seem to hold.

That's one way. Given the sheer number of players entering the portal and the amounts of cash involved, I don't know how feasible it will be to think you can keep high level kids for four years any more.

Best case, it works out like it does for Illinois. Worst case, IMHO, next season looks a lot like this one did.
You have to continue to recruit though. I hate to bring it up again but look at PU. What would you rather have? A roster built by high school kids who are mainly from Indiana or kids that are hired guns that don’t care about the name on the jersey? Give me th Michael Lewis, Coverdales, Fifes, Yogi, TJD types any day over Noah Vonleh, Ware, types

You have to continue to recruit though. I hate to bring it up again but look at PU. What would you rather have? A roster built by high school kids who are mainly from Indiana or kids that are hired guns that don’t care about the name on the jersey? Give me th Michael Lewis, Coverdales, Fifes, Yogi, TJD types any day over Noah Vonleh, Ware, types
Interestingly, there's not much Indiana flavor in next year's Purdue class. The Indiana guys are 3* who will likely do as you say and stick around and I be part of Purdue. Will guys like Catchings and the other Georgia guy sell test their portal value in a couple years....if they're successful enough to do so?

Reactions: nichlee
Interestingly, there's not much Indiana flavor in next year's Purdue class. The Indiana guys are 3* who will likely do as you say and stick around and I be part of Purdue. Will guys like Catchings and the other Georgia guy sell test their portal value in a couple years....if they're successful enough to do so?
Idk you haven’t seen it from PU kids.
This year Indiana class is pretty average..PU got 2 of the best in Catchings and Benter. Flory is the one they missed on. Also the kid from Georgia is Glen Robinson’s son.

You just love to speak in platitudes don't you.

Where was ANYTHING said about a FF?? Good grief.

I asked (evidently I need to reiterate) how you can defend a coach that in most games against high level competition has not even been competitive?

How can you defend a coach with 17 blowouts?
What part of no guards are you struggling with? How did Purdue do with their inadequate guards once the double team wasn’t the used strategy. Get that sorted with NIL and we will be a much improved team and some of the bitching can stop

all good...and I agree, hard to get a warm fuzzy over the direction the program is heading. We've lowered the bar so much I'm having trouble defining what I would consider a successful season next year to even look like. Quinn and crew will have a hard time selling me on a mid-conf finish and first round exit of the big tourney being a success.
Would any other program worth a damn keep Woody after 3 years or actually hire him right now? What a bag of s*** IU fans have been sold by this worthless admin.

Here's the thought process causing that question.

Malik and Mack are starting, no matter what.

I don't have any idea how Woody rolls when it comes to promising starting roles or playing time...but it isn't a reach to think that most would assume Tucker is coming in as a starter too.

Trey Galloway is still on the roster.

Can he convince any of the main guards visiting, with them knowing who else we're talking to, that they'll start?

Carlisle
Rice
Perkins
Hickman
Conwell

What do you tell Conwell today, when Carlisle is coming this weekend? And then Vice Versa?

I know that's recruiting 101...but something has caused Woody to whiff on guards last year, and so far this year...

For what its worth...I wanted to start a post asking how good we'd be with the following lineup and bench:

Perkins
Carlisle
Conwell
Mgbako
Reneau

Williams
Tucker
Galloway
Newton
Cupps
Leal

But then reality hit me...Tucker is a solid 5 star kid...he's gonna expect to start. Will Galloway accept a lesser role? And then who's "first" to commit of those guards, and who would also commit after the first one did?

I think we end up largely striking out on impact guards. Maybe we get Perkins, which would be great. But I bet it looks more like...

Perkins
Galloway
Tucker
Mgbako
Reneau

Non elite backup big
Non elite/starter level guard
Cupps
Newton
Leal

Probably an NCAA team, but with a strong "bubble" feel to it.
This didn't age well huh?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Issue is he isn’t recruiting to build the MM

Just win baby

Reactions: Al Bino
How do I know what? That he is a bad coach? Just see the product my man
How do you know IU will move on? This coming season may well be a debacle. Then again, this coming season could be Woody's STFU tour. I don't speak in absolutes when speculating about the future so I'll take the pragmatist approach.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
How do you know IU will move on? This coming season may well be a debacle. Then again, this coming season could be Woody's STFU tour. I don't speak in absolutes when speculating about the future so I'll take the pragmatist approach.
I hope you’re right and Woody wins a natty next year. I just don’t see him turning Iu back into a powerhouse.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
You are going to be so disappointed if Woody puts together a team that’s healthy and with all pieces. Image how distraught you’ll be if he had tourney success
How would I be distraught by winning? I have seen enough over his three years to know he is t a great coach. I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong. Gladly!

In relation to the Hoosier basketball. We were great in the past… I’d like to ignore the present ( 25 years ) and concentrate on the future and hoping for Woodys stfu tour
I hope we get the stfu tour. I have been a whiner many times, but I do like Coach's belief in Indiana and love for his players. I also think he can coach. Some holes, sure. And I think he has a rather weak staff in some ways.

My complaining was more how could anyone have a NIL warchest, the advantages of Indiana, and put together guard play like this? That's on him. NOW he is going after guards. That will make a big difference - we could win! Still needs another. But wth? Why didn't he do this before? He threw away seasons.

But, he may gather enough talent, this time, to have a stfu tour. I hope so. I'm starting to climb back on the bandwagon. A few weeks ago I didn't see any team, now it's coming together, not quite so scary. Loooong way to go still.

I hope we get the stfu tour. I have been a whiner many times, but I do like Coach's belief in Indiana and love for his players. I also think he can coach. Some holes, sure. And I think he has a rather weak staff in some ways.

My complaining was more how could anyone have a NIL warchest, the advantages of Indiana, and put together guard play like this? That's on him. NOW he is going after guards. That will make a big difference - we could win! Still needs another. But wth? Why didn't he do this before? He threw away seasons.

But, he may gather enough talent, this time, to have a stfu tour. I hope so. I'm starting to climb back on the bandwagon. A few weeks ago I didn't see any team, now it's coming together, not quite so scary. Loooong way to go still.
In fair disclosure I had the luxury of being in Australia during a lot of the nightmare the last 25 years. I’ve been fortunate to only suffer half the ptsd of most of long term Hoosier nation. I completely understand the displeasure last year but I just thought the overtly hostile and personal attacks of one of our greats was a bit much. I feels like trying to keep a drunk friend from behind the wheel lol. Let’s all hope Woody can produce the stfu tour and we can all unite and have peace in the Hoosier Nation again. PS. FU Myles Brand where ever you are

You can not make them come, regardless of the nil warchest and being Indiana.

Reactions: OpenWheels
In fair disclosure I had the luxury of being in Australia during a lot of the nightmare the last 25 years. I’ve been fortunate to only suffer half the ptsd of most of long term Hoosier nation. I completely understand the displeasure last year but I just thought the overtly hostile and personal attacks of one of our greats was a bit much. I feels like trying to keep a drunk friend from behind the wheel lol. Let’s all hope Woody can produce the stfu tour and we can all unite and have peace in the Hoosier Nation again. PS. FU Myles Brand where ever you are
I am out of the country also but being out of the country not like it used to be in the pre dial and dial up periods for internet access. I can watch all the games but some on replay due to timing issues.

Reactions: Thcgh
I am out of the country also but being out of the country not like it used to be in the pre dial and dial up periods for internet access. I can watch all the games but some on replay due to timing issues.
True but I was back there from my playing days ( played in Australia in early 90s ) due to my Aussie wife needing a liver transplant due to auto immune conditions I suspect brought on by chemo for her earlier fight with Ovarian cancer. Hands were pretty full looking after the teenage kids and their mother to spend much time searching to watch the shitty product. My dad kept me up to date and that was enough to know I wasn’t missing much

I hope your wife is better.

It is hard when a game comes on at 3 am and they are not playing well and I have to get my daughters fed and off to school in the morning. A lot of times that means replay. I can’t imagine serious health issues with my wife in addition.

And I’ll continue to trend on the side of logic and redirect to your benevolent way of thieving statements and twisting them to support your own false argument. “The error you are making is disconnecting Woodsons success from Woodsons student athlete”.
Your like a journalist or something.
“You’re”…. Since you seemed to be so concerned with grammar

Last year was disappointing. I think we would have been five games better and in the tournament with Xavier. That said, it was also a rebuild of our front line. We lost TJD, Race, and Kopp. Woodson upgraded all of them in talent with Ware, Reneau, and Mgbako. Also, if you don’t give any credit to Woodson for JHS’s success then we aren’t going to see eye to eye about Woodson.
Woodson’s inability to land a top guard for last year was his biggest failure to date. Front court hasn’t been the problem at all during his tenure. It has been primary guard play issues. Outside of JHS, we have been very weak at the 1-2

True but I was back there from my playing days ( played in Australia in early 90s ) due to my Aussie wife needing a liver transplant due to auto immune conditions I suspect brought on by chemo for her earlier fight with Ovarian cancer. Hands were pretty full looking after the teenage kids and their mother to spend much time searching to watch the shitty product. My dad kept me up to date and that was enough to know I wasn’t missing much
Only place I have been in Australia was Brisbane and a little time in the bush in Queensland. Jurassic Park in the bush.

Reactions: Thcgh
Only place I have been in Australia was Brisbane and a little time in the bush in Queensland. Jurassic Park in the bush.
I saw an energy company there had their offshore project stopped by a judge because Aborigines believed their project location is where spirit whales live and sprit whales tell all the other life in the ocean what to eat. If the project goes forward the spirit whales won’t tell ocean life what to eat and life in the ocean will starve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT