ADVERTISEMENT

Is Woody gonna struggle to get ANY guards, yet again?

I’m a true fan also…IU is just in a bad place with Woodson. They are stuck
I was trolling with that comment, but I recommend giving him 11 more months before turning on him. He’s had some success on the floor and in recruiting. It disappoints me that people are trashing one of the best players to ever play at IU coaching his alma mater. We should be rallying around him, not asking for Nate Oats.

Reactions: Thcgh
I was trolling with that comment, but I recommend giving him 11 more months before turning on him. He’s had some success on the floor and in recruiting. It disappoints me that people are trashing one of the best players to ever play at IU coaching his alma mater. We should be rallying around him, not asking for Nate Oats.
I respect him as a player but he is not a good coach. We have one more year of him and then Iu will move on

Why didn’t those execs hire him then? Career record below .500 plus this in college ball not the
NBA. He isn’t a college coach. IU made a mistake in hiring him and now they stuck
Execs did hire him both as a player and coach. He was in the NBA for 40 years. He built a solid Hawks team from scratch, and took a lot of losses along the way. He is currently a college coach. IU can fire him today if they wanted. Amazing that I disagree with literally every point you made.

Ramble on!!!!!!

So sick of the posts on PUke and pUKe here.

Let’s talk lineups!

agree.

truth be told, we do need to do what PU did this past year - improve the hell out of its outside shooting. I think they jumped from 150th to 5th in 3 pt takes/makes (something like that).

Reactions: .Gerdis
Execs did hire him both as a player and coach. He was in the NBA for 40 years. He built a solid Hawks team from scratch, and took a lot of losses along the way. He is currently a college coach. IU can fire him today if they wanted. Amazing that I disagree with literally every point you made.
He has been average at best everywhere he has been

The goal is to get a top shelf point guard, top shelf center, and high potential depth guys. Anything less is not ideal. I could be wrong, but I predict Tucker will come off the bench for 25 minutes. If he pops then Galloway will come off the bench.
You’re on the verge of Willdog blind faith, you know this right?

• Haha
Reactions: GThomas
He was average at the highest level. He went down a level, and has had three seasons. 11 seed, 5 seed, no tournament so far. It’s not a firing situation.
He inherited TJD aka, not his recruit. Trace is the one and only reason he had an ounce of success. And the fallout after he left couldn’t be more apparent to a blind def mute.
He can’t coach, he under values getting off his ass to recruit, lacks the awareness and value of the most important position to recruit, but he’s “Done His Job”.
Just shut the hell up about he’s above termination. Get real, high school coaches would be fired for less. He’s lazy, entitled and incompetent. Should have never been hired. No one is above termination, not even Knight! Just please take a hike with bullshit and rubbernecking. He’s fn worthless.

I’m a true fan.
You’re so cute, you must of blushed when he looked you right in the eye on senior night when he made the assumption that only the “true fans” were at that game. Forgetting all about the other 99.9% of alumni around the world. You’re an absolute twit apologist for an overpaid underachieving failure. Hey maybe you’re actually Woodless himself hiding behind that handle of yours. It only makes sense that you lash out on senior night because you spend more time reading these boards then you do coaching. Windbag, blowhard fool.

Reactions: ulrey
He inherited TJD aka, not his recruit. Trace is the one and only reason he had an ounce of success. And the fallout after he left couldn’t be more apparent to a blind def mute.
He can’t coach, he under values getting off his ass to recruit, lacks the awareness and value of the most important position to recruit, but he’s “Done His Job”.
Just shut the hell up about he’s above termination. Get real, high school coaches would be fired for less. He’s lazy, entitled and incompetent. Should have never been hired. No one is above termination, not even Knight! Just please take a hike with bullshit and rubbernecking. He’s fn worthless.
The error you are making is disconnecting TJD’s success from TJD’s coach.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
You’re so cute, you must of blushed when he looked you right in the eye on senior night when he made the assumption that only the “true fans” were at that game. Forgetting all about the other 99.9% of alumni around the world. You’re an absolute twit apologist for an overpaid underachieving failure. Hey maybe you’re actually Woodless himself hiding behind that handle of yours. It only makes sense that you lash out on senior night because you spend more time reading these boards then you do coaching. Windbag, blowhard fool.
I’m glad Woodson said that to expose unhinged, online maniacs like you.

Are you mad, bro?

lol ....

Call me crazy, but I’d bet the house that you drive around in your car by yourself with the windows up wearing a corona “China virus” mask breathing in carbon monoxide on your way to the mailbox and back.
It’s funny even though it doesn’t make sense.

The error you are making is disconnecting TJD’s success from TJD’s coach.
And I’ll continue to trend on the side of logic and redirect to your benevolent way of thieving statements and twisting them to support your own false argument. “The error you are making is disconnecting Woodsons success from Woodsons student athlete”.
Your like a journalist or something.

I was meeting the poster halfway. If he was actually average, he would be working a nine to five with less than $1k in his bank account.
Against the general working population, yes. Against NBA and college coaching population, he's working 9-3 with $1M in his bank account because we don't care about meritocracy.

And what have you seen to draw that conclusion?
I think he got a lot out of Phinisee, TJD, Race, JHS, and Ware, and I like what I am seeing out of Reneau, Galloway, and Mgbako. I think he had to settle for guys like Parker Stewart and Kopp early because he was new to college, so I’m curious to see what he can do with a full deck. My one knock on Woodson is Xavier. He should have got rid of him after the first crotch grab.

Keep in mind, in 2021 Woody was in this 7th year of being an NBA assistant. For seven years no one in the NBA wanted him as a head coach (I’m assuming he wanted to be a head coach). No decent college program would hire him either given he had no college experience, except us because he played here, which isn’t relevant but that’s IU.

Today, no other decent program would hire him.

He is getting his chance as head coach here. But he is lucky IU values his years as a player. He’s not in demand as head coach anywhere else and hasn’t been for a long time because he just hasn’t been a good head coach.

We’ll see how year 4 goes.

Keep in mind, in 2021 Woody was in this 7th year of being an NBA assistant. For seven years no one in the NBA wanted him as a head coach (I’m assuming he wanted to be a head coach). No decent college program would hire him either given he had no college experience, except us because he played here, which isn’t relevant but that’s IU.

He is getting his chance as head coach here. But he is lucky IU values his years as a player. He’s not in demand as head coach anywhere else and hasn’t been for a long time.
You started with a fact and followed with a string of speculative opinions.

Woodson doesn’t seem to be in a hurry about anything including recruiting. It puts a lot of pressure on him to perform in the next few weeks. That said, he’s had some success getting guys late. The transfer portal and coaching changes make things totally different than five years ago.
I believe timing is of utmost importance here. Get engagement with many targets. Can’t jump too soon unless you’re getting exactly what you want. However it’s a balance of keep many options but not committing before all available transfers are in play.

I think he got a lot out of Phinisee, TJD, Race, JHS, and Ware, and I like what I am seeing out of Reneau, Galloway, and Mgbako. I think he had to settle for guys like Parker Stewart and Kopp early because he was new to college, so I’m curious to see what he can do with a full deck. My one knock on Woodson is Xavier. He should have got rid of him after the first crotch grab.

And if I agree with you on all those points, IMO, it still doesn't point to him being a good coach. It is all about wins and losses and in his third year with a TERRIBLY constructed roster all most all his recruits, it was a shit show and didn't come close to making the tourney. I always said that Crean would have been gone MUCH earlier without landing Zeller and I am beginning to believe that TJD will turn out to be Woodson Zeller.

Not only the losses but just getting the crap kicked out of them. So many times IU has not even been competitive and not just to the big boys since they were swept by Nebraska (0-3) and 1-2 against PSU. I read but did not verify it, that in his last three years, Crean had 8 losses of 15 or more points, Archie had 12 in his last three years. In his first three years Woodson has 17 by my count SO... he has almost equaled the previous two coaches and they were both fired. Hmmmmm.

And if I don't agree with your reasons, I would say it is a stretch to include Phinisee seeing as how he transferred. JHS was more a finished project when he arrived and I REALLY doubt he would have gotten as much PT without X getting hurt. I will give you the bigs, they have developed nicely and if he could get Reneau not to be a vortex and throw the ball out like TJD did, that would be great.

I loved Mike as a player but that is TOTALLY irrelevant to the discussion at hand. He is no longer a player and HE is the one that took on this challenge and set the bar at championships and in three years, IU has not come close to even sniffing any kind of championship.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
And I’ll continue to trend on the side of logic and redirect to your benevolent way of thieving statements and twisting them to support your own false argument. “The error you are making is disconnecting Woodsons success from Woodsons student athlete”.
Your like a journalist or something.
I connect TJD and Woodson as a work relationship, and give them both credit for what they accomplished together.

Last edited:

He is getting his chance as head coach here. But he is lucky IU values his years as a player. He’s not in demand as head coach anywhere else and hasn’t been for a long time because he just hasn’t been a good head coach.

We’ll see how year 4 goes.
Ok so which college job was he trying to get? Is it possible that 66 year old millionaire didn’t really need a job anymore? Is it possible that IU struck out on other candidates so Woody was willing to coach his Alma mater to help rebuild the brand and make more appealing to the next candidate? Whether you believe it or not we are a severely damaged brand almost on the verge of no return. I still hope that the new approach in this new era can pay big dividends. Time will tell

Race card, huh?
Race card? Not sure what race has to do with nepotism in this scenario. Fact is that he appears to be overcompensated sans college experience and doesn't seem to have evidence of working overtime to get recruits. So far, I'm not exactly thrilled with his executive presence with the press and trashing fans.

What if I suggested a candidate that had NBA HC experience, an NBA W-L% of .481 reg season and Playoff W-L% of .452, would you be excited (all better than Woodson)? Well that was Jim O'Brien who has better % success at the NBA level. I'll concede his college resume wasn't strong but based on NBA record -- stronger than Woody's. I'd be super pissed if we hired Jim O'Brien. Woody got a pass with me because he was an IU great and I value that but I can't say I was overwhelmed with confidence based on his coaching record.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticArisen
I believe timing is of utmost importance here. Get engagement with many targets. Can’t jump too soon unless you’re getting exactly what you want. However it’s a balance of keep many options but not committing before all available transfers are in play.
Agree. We seem to have given players time to enter, seen what’s there, and there appears to be building momentum with names and visits as the staff decides who to try and go with. It seems fine in terms of timing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT