ADVERTISEMENT

Minutes Breakdown

agree totally. Cupps is the only "true" PG we have behind Rice, imo. And we have a logjam of wings, and Newton hasn't played much meaningful ball for 2 years, so... But I agree, if he were to get minutes that would mean he's playing extremely well and earning minutes, so that is probably better for IU. But, I also know Cupps is going to work hard and if he focuses on his D, improving his shot selection and FG% a bit and finding more ways to score the ball, he could be extremely valuable too. So, a bet you can't really lose isn't terrible, is my thinking. But, c'mon, a donation in Cav's name to HH in honor of Romeo Langford?
Yeah...worth it.

Reactions: kkott
Here's what I got (not necessarily what I'd like, but what I think happens):

MR 30
Bako 28
Ballo 27
Rice 25
Carlyle 18
Gallo 18
Goode 15
Tucker 10
Cupps 9
Leal 7
Newton 7
Backup 5, 6
I believe Newton will surprise and play more.

Not sure I'd bet on it...but I'm more with your sentiment than I am Cavs. And I LOVE what I think Newton could be as a player! I just feel pretty strongly that Cupps will start the year as Rice's primary backup...so there are 10ish minutes in basically every game for Cupps. Add in foul trouble nights for Rice, blowouts, times when Woody wants Cupps defensive energy and spark... I think its very possible he ends up playing a fair bit again this year.

Newton is a wild card in a lot of different ways.
Galloway will be the first guard off the bench. He will play the point if needed or the 2. Cupps will play but not automatically when Rice is on the bench.

Galloway will be the first guard off the bench. He will play the point if needed or the 2. Cupps will play but not automatically when Rice is on the bench.
Carlyle started 14 PAC12 games at PG for Stanford. Not sure if Trey will be the better option next year.

Leadership, defense, play at break-neck speed, cause havoc, get into transition make a couple plays, make steal, hit an impossible spinning shot, and then sit .. that's his game,

Points produced in conference.. (Points + Assists)
Per game - Trey 12 .. Kanaan 12 Per 40 .- Kanaan 19 Trey 13

They both had high TO .. KCs were higher but he's far more of a threat. Plus the expected freshman to sophomore bump should happen... We may see KC start at 2 and then slide over when Rice goes out. Or Trey may just start .... It's nice to see so many options ..

I don't gamble much more than lunch, but I know you like to gamble. Not sure what a meaningful amount is for you: $300-400? Void if either player misses more than 3 consecutive games due to injury? Deal?
Whatever you want to do money wise. Doesn't have to be a lot of money. and sounds good about the 3 consecutive games.

Carlyle started 14 PAC12 games at PG for Stanford. Not sure if Trey will be the better option next year.

Leadership, defense, play at break-neck speed, cause havoc, get into transition make a couple plays, make steal, hit an impossible spinning shot, and then sit .. that's his game,

Points produced in conference.. (Points + Assists)
Per game - Trey 12 .. Kanaan 12 Per 40 .- Kanaan 19 Trey 13

They both had high TO .. KCs were higher but he's far more of a threat. Plus the expected freshman to sophomore bump should happen... We may see KC start at 2 and then slide over when Rice goes out. Or Trey may just start .... It's nice to see so many options ..
I still like seeing Gallo come off the bench creating havoc and turning a game on it's ear.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Man...has anyone tried to lay out our lineups yet? Its astonishing how much more solid this roster is than anything Woody has had yet at IU.

Point Guard Spot (40 minutes)... Rice starts, Cupps backs up, Carlyle plays some, Gallo plays some
Two Guard Spot (40 minutes)...Carlyle starts, Gallo plays some, Newton if healthy plays some, Leal/Hemenway if signed play some
Three Spot (40 minutes)...Mgbako starts, but slides over to the 4 often, Tucker plays a lot, Goode needs some minutes here, Gallo could play here some, Newton could play here some
Four Spot (40 minutes)...Reneau starts, slides over to 5 some, Mgbako will get a lot of minutes here, Goode could get some time here alongside Tucker, bench guy we've yet to sign maybe too
Five Spot (40 minutes)...Ballo starts, Reneau plays here some, backup big hopefully here as well, maybe some 5 guard lineup stuff with Mgbako here

Rice...30 minutes (Reigning PAC 12 frosh of the year, helped lead WSU to NCAA tourney...I think he's our most important newcomer)
Mgbako...30 minutes (he'll be played in multiple positions, and should be All B10 level player)
Carlyle...25 minutes (I have a feeling this could push higher by years end, he's really good)
Reneau...25 minutes (This could be more if he improves his defense, and fouls less)
Ballo...23 minutes (he's been a 20 ish mpg game guy, we don't have a lot of depth in the front court though)
Tucker...20 minutes (highly rated freshman, good defender, versatile, should keep him on the court)
Galloway...20 minutes (can play 1-3 positions, he'll fill in enough lineup cracks to be on the court a fair bit)
Goode...17 minutes (Decent size, good shooter, can play 3/4 positions, so he'll get some extended minutes)

If my math is right, that would leave around 10 minutes of PT left. I do think Cupps will be a regular backup to Rice. So he'll play some in every game, I'd predict. Backup big? Hemenway? Newton? Leal?

Think about last years team, even Woody's first two teams. Cupps and Leal both did play a lot last year. Newton would have played a lot. A guy like Hemenway would have played a fair bit. If the backup big is solid, in any way, he would have played a fair bit. Its crazy how much more solid, and deep our roster is.
We are not playing 13 guys. Maybe 8 or 9 in conference. Leal, Newton, and Cupps will likely be on the bench once the conference rolls around. I have no idea how you think leal or newton will see minutes.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
I'm not sure I want you to win. Newton's potential impact is probably quite a lot higher than Cupps is. But I think Gabe has some baked in minutes that are his to lose. And there are so many unknowns with Newtons situation, AND he's competing against more people for minutes at the 2-3 spot. IF though, if he's fully healthy, and can forge a main rotation role for himself...that means he's taking minutes from multiple guys like Carlyle, Galloway, Tucker, Goode, Leal, even Mgbako to a small extent. That would have to imply some really cool things for Newton and for the team.
Newton would have to beat out like 5 guys to get minutes. Anyone who thinks he is going play much this year is delusional imo

Newton would have to beat out like 5 guys to get minutes. Anyone who thinks he is going play much this year is delusional imo
Woodson loves himself some big, physical guards that can lockdown out on the perimeter. If he's 100% healthy he'll get run early in the year with a chance to play his way into the rotation. Might come at the expense of a few less minutes for Tucker/Galloway, but if he can defend at a high level, he will play. I'm not so sure he's going to be 100% healthy.

We are not playing 13 guys. Maybe 8 or 9 in conference. Leal, Newton, and Cupps will likely be on the bench once the conference rolls around. I have no idea how you think leal or newton will see minutes.
Newton will play do not count him short.

I like this thread. I look at it in terms of rotations more than individual minutes which is harder to pin down.
I really think that Cupps and Newton could be a heckuva starting backcourt for us in 2 years. But this year once the cupcake part of the schedule is over there will be 8 players getting 20+ minutes. They aren't in that number.

There's the starting 5: Ballo, Reneau, Mgbako, Tucker, Rice

The line-up I think will at some point be our best line-up: Ballo, Mgbako, Tucker, Carlyle, Rice

Then the closers: Reneau, Mgbako, Goode, Galloway and Rice

There will be variations of course but anyone beyond that will fall outside the norm. To include whoever is the big we eventually add.

When deployed properly we have the best team of 8 in the country. There are a lot of cohesive fits that are modern, fast, perimeter defenders. We should be ecstatic right now.

"We need more shooters!!!!" NO we need to win the 3pt +/- defend the 3 at a high level, and improve the quality and frequency of 3pt attempts. We checked that box.

"Reneau has to start at the 4!!!" OK, but but Ill be shocked if the starting Frontline play more than 10mpg together by the start of conference play. There are numerous reasons why and very few why not and by the quality of the bigs we're linked to I think Woody gets it.

"Woody can't coach!!!!" Maybe, we'll know after this year. Baring a key prolonged series of injuries we should be a top ten team, win the Big Ten or BTT , and be an elite 8 team. We should be able to change the national narrative on our style not being a guard friendly perimeter style and be in great shape moving forward.

We still need a better tri-state recruiter than Walsh, or change our name to the Hurry' n Rosemonds.

I agree with your 8 - Ballo, Mgbako, Reneau, rice, Carlyle, Tucker, Gallo, Goode. If we get Hatton, all signs indicate we will, he will probably get 8-12 minutes. Newton is the wild card!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT