ADVERTISEMENT

Flight tracker speculation…..

No but I am not the only one that thought that the money came from Cuban.

How many billionaires do you think that are IU grads and interested in sports?
You don’t have to be a billionaire to donate nearly $8 million. But Carl Cook certainly fits that description.

That was my reaction as well. I didn't find his resume' all that impressive.
I feel like ADs of schools who want other teams to take their beleaguered coach off their hands, come to the fan forums and act as hype men for them. So strange.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
Link, please, regarding players "strongly disliking him."

In his final season at UT, the Covid season, several players opted out of the bowl game but that's become commonplace, particularly for players who are eyeing Sunday ball. It isn't, by itself, indicative of "strong dislike" for the coach.

With respect to your claim that he was "apathetic about recruiting," I wish past IU coaches had been so apathetic. Herman had three straight years of Top 10 classes. His last class dropped to #17.

Rumors? Are you talking about the fact that he was part of a group that ran up a big tab at a strip club? If that was a job disqualifier, I suspect most of us would be unemployed. Or are you talking about rumors of infidelity put out there by Zach Smith, who had an ax to grind? Even if true, that was many years ago and it's between him and his wife.

Herman was 22-4 at Houston. He was 32-18 at Texas, including a 10-win season and a victory over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. As a head coach, he is 5-0 in bowl games. If this guy is hired here, it'll be a "pinch me" moment, at least for me.
You're starting to win me over. Much stronger argument than the Eastern Michigan coach supporters. .
From Reddit Indy Star's reporting the short list is:

Jason Candle

Chris Creighton

Paul Chryst (kill me)

Willie Fritz

Dan Mullen

Jake Dickert

Charles Huff

Sean Lewis

Barry Odom. Yeah baby.

Jon Sumrall

Kane Wommack
This has to be a joke.

I feel like ADs of schools who want other teams to take their beleaguered coach off their hands, come to the fan forums and act as hype men for them. So strange.
I have some Florida land for sale, if you think the AD is taking the pulse of internet fan forums as any part of his decision-making process.

I have some Florida land for sale, if you think the AD is taking the pulse of internet fan forums as any part of his decision-making process.
You might want to re- read what I wrote.

Neither does Indiana 's athletic director.

Good grief, you just couldn't wait until the decision was made, could you?

It would seem to me that your statement on the face is false, with the facts we have now.
Virtually no one thought Allen would be fired because of the buy out.
The easy thing, the path of someone that doesn't care, would to have hidden behind the buy out and kept Allen.
BUT Dolson took action, raised the money and fired Allen.
And I think he knows that a new coach will demand more money for salaries and facilities.
Plus, rumors are that he is only looking at established head coaches. So, no hiring from within.
All of that tells me that Dolson knows the importance of football even though he is not a "football" guy.

Glass might have been his boss/mentor but IMO, with firing Archie and Allen, Dolson has been much more decisive.

Good grief, you just couldn't wait until the decision was made, could you?

It would seem to me that your statement on the face is false, with the facts we have now.
Virtually no one thought Allen would be fired because of the buy out.
The easy thing, the path of someone that doesn't care, would to have hidden behind the buy out and kept Allen.
BUT Dolson took action, raised the money and fired Allen.
And I think he knows that a new coach will demand more money for salaries and facilities.
Plus, rumors are that he is only looking at established head coaches. So, no hiring from within.
All of that tells me that Dolson knows the importance of football even though he is not a "football" guy.

Glass might have been his boss/mentor but IMO, with firing Archie and Allen, Dolson has been much more decisive.
I will say, although the act of re-signing CTA to this deal has proven to be the wrong one, I don't think that is the biggest factor of being the AD. A factor, yes, but as you alluded to, it's all the other things around the hiring that pulls it all together.

We need an AD who can convince the 'deciderers' to invest in the program. He convinced them to give multiple pay raises based on good performance (at that time) which can become a fault IF he was also unable to get them to buy-out if it all fell apart. He did that so although we certainly need Dolson to dig in and find the right guy, there is a lot of luck in that piece. I do like that he has come through on the factors he has genuine control on that past administrations seemed to lack the ability to do.

Back to flightaware. I see another flight coming in to Bloomington from Boca Raton today. Tom Herman makes a lot of sense here. Proven head coach did really well at Houston. Won at Texas, including 5 bowl wins, just didn't win enough thereto keep his job with the high expectations. He wouldn't have near as much pressure here. Struggled at FAU this year but they are a dumpster fire in transition and he managed to win 4 games.

Back to flightaware. I see another flight coming in to Bloomington from Boca Raton today. Tom Herman makes a lot of sense here. Proven head coach did really well at Houston. Won at Texas, including 5 bowl wins, just didn't win enough thereto keep his job with the high expectations. He wouldn't have near as much pressure here. Struggled at FAU this year but they are a dumpster fire in transition and he managed to win 4 games.
I don’t see another Boca Flight for today. I only see
Arrival
Latrobe Pa landed
Hilton Head. In the air
Middletown Wi in the air
Abingdon Va 2pm
Hilton Head 2:14pm
Bentonville Ar. 9:18pm

Departure
St Louis. 2:30pm

He beat Tulsa (Kevin Wilson) and came close to beating Illinois. But, FAU had won at least 5 games dating back to 2017 and even had two 11-win seasons in that time span. That's not to imply he didn't have an overhaul with the modern portal and staff turnover but its something to make note of.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Gotham City..... Batman?... or Robin? Just hope it's not another Joker.

No but I am not the only one that thought that the money came from Cuban.

How many billionaires do you think that are IU grads and interested in sports?
Could easily have been split three or four ways. Scott laerned under glass for a long time and Fred was extremely well-connected and a fantastic fund raiser.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Why the hate on Matt Canada?

In the first game since getting rid of Matt Canada, the Steelers just had over 400 yards. Pretty solid amount after getting rid of your OC, right? Well it looks even better when it's the first time they've gone for over 400 yards since September 20, 2020, 58 games! Canada was the OC for '21, '22, and '23 until this past week.

Bring him in as an analyst or strictly a QB coach but nothing more important than that. I'm already hearing enough rumblings that make me lose any faith I had.

Reactions: YOTHN and 76-1
In the first game since getting rid of Matt Canada, the Steelers just had over 400 yards. Pretty solid amount after getting rid of your OC, right? Well it looks even better when it's the first time they've gone for over 400 yards since September 20, 2020, 58 games! Canada was the OC for '21, '22, and '23 until this past week.

Bring him in as an analyst or strictly a QB coach but nothing more important than that. I'm already hearing enough rumblings that make me lose any faith I had.
Why bring him in for anything? Dude is terrible at his job. He took the Walk Bell hustle to the next level.

What do you think about "Cuban Stadium"?
MC stayed publicly he doesn’t even want the kids in his family playing football due to CTE.

Says if the NFL were a stock he would sell it and buy E-Sports b/c it’s a “level playing field”.

All on board with Tom Herman. I really hope that’s the guy. Obviously has recruiting connects in Texas, and has spent the last year getting to know players in Florida.

The job he did at Texas was definitely underwhelming, but it’s not bad enough to make me worry. The guy proved he can coach at Houston. Would absolutely love to see it, and I’m really hopeful that’s the guy.
Herman is a member of Mensa International. Well, he is no dummy that's
for sure. Could not hurt to have a really smart guy in charge. Coaching
record is not bad. OK, lets do it.

There were two other big donors who bought out Archie. One was a car dealership guy. I’m sure there are plenty of donors not as rich or famous as Cuban.
IU has had individual donors give up to $60M or more. Just not in athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT