ADVERTISEMENT

Flight tracker speculation…..

Flight from Boca Raton to Bloomington is in route to Bloomington. Is Tom Herman on that plane?

Goodman thinks Justin Frye should be a serious contender.
Everything I've seen and heard about Frye suggests that he has a bright future. Personally, though, I don't think IU can afford to take that chance at this point in time. JF needs to be a head coach at a level lower than the Big Ten first. If we've learned anything the past seven years, it's that being a successful coordinator doesn't automatically translate to being a successful head coach. If we hire an older hc, maybe Frye would be a real consideration down the road if he proves himself as a hc elsewhere.

Not sure I would have an anti-swearing policy if I were in his shoes but young men can still be young men without swearing. Not a hill I would die on though.
I don't know any young men who play college sports that don't utter a few cuss words now and again. Too much meddling and unncessary behavior modifications.

Reactions: td75
Flight from Boca Raton to Bloomington is in route to Bloomington. Is Tom Herman on that plane?
I'm not getting my hopes up because this would be a home run hire, and IU doesn't have a history of many of those.

Guy is a proven power conference head coach, and only 48. He's obviously well-connected in Texas, one of the top two or three states in the country in terms of high school football talent. UT has only so many scholarships. I'd be happy with their leftovers.

FAU just finished a pretty crappy season (4-8) but it was his first year there and they were competing in a new (for them) conference.

Man, if this could happen . . .

I'm not getting my hopes up because this would be a home run hire, and IU doesn't have a history of many of those.

Guy is a proven power conference head coach, and only 48. He's obviously well-connected in Texas, one of the top two or three states in the country in terms of high school football talent. UT has only so many scholarships. I'd be happy with their leftovers.

FAU just finished a pretty crappy season (4-8) but it was his first year there and they were competing in a new (for them) conference.

Agreed. Look at his bowl record. We would kill for that here.

I'm not convinced Herman is the guy. Yes FAU was in a new conference but literally half the conference came over from the CUSA with FAU and he managed to lose to every single one of those teams he played except Charlotte (losses to UTSA, UAB, and Rice). He at least knows how to get double digit wins but it's not encouraging to hire a coach who was out of the league for 2 years to come back and go 4-8.

I'm not convinced Herman is the guy. Yes FAU was in a new conference but literally half the conference came over from the CUSA with FAU and he managed to lose to every single one of those teams he played except Charlotte (losses to UTSA, UAB, and Rice). He at least knows how to get double digit wins but it's not encouraging to hire a coach who was out of the league for 2 years to come back and go 4-8.
Anyone can have a bad year. Hell, Meyer had a disastrous season with the Jags. I look at a guy's body of work, and Herman's is impressive.

My imagination is starting to run wild. There is a certain Texas billionaire and team owner who also happens to be an IU (Kelley School) graduate. He's a supporter and major benefactor of IU. Allen's buyout was from donor funds, correct? Could that Dallas guy have been one of the donors - - or the donor? Could he be funding Herman's buyout at FAU? Could he be facilitating a Herman-to-IU move behind the scenes? Yes, pure speculation. But maybe not that far-fetched.

His name is Lords. As in Kenyon Lords. As in where Creighton was an All Conference record setting QB. C’mon…. Do your homework!!
Oh wow, he wasn't even good enough to go to a real school? Eek, strike 3.

Real men don’t swear. It shows a lack of vocabulary which is a sign of laziness. I’m all aboard a no cussing policy.
That post pretty much explains everything about you.

Reactions: BayernFan

If that's a home run hire, than you have pretty low expectations. Which I applaud as without a doubt, our AD will screw this up.

• Haha
Reactions: Bowlmania
Anyone can have a bad year. Hell, Meyer had a disastrous season with the Jags. I look at a guy's body of work, and Herman's is impressive.

My imagination is starting to run wild. There is a certain Texas billionaire and team owner who also happens to be an IU (Kelley School) graduate. He's a supporter and major benefactor of IU. Allen's buyout was from donor funds, correct? Could that Dallas guy have been one of the donors - - or the donor? Could he be funding Herman's buyout at FAU? Could he be facilitating a Herman-to-IU move behind the scenes? Yes, pure speculation. But maybe not that far-fetched.
It's not just the one bad year at FAU, that's just my current talking point as his first season back in college football was wholly unimpressive. The things worse than a 4-8 record is that his players at Texas strongly disliked him and he was apathetic about recruiting.

Was his firing from Texas humbling? Does he have a renewed sense for coaching? Has he moved past the immaturity that spawned numerous rumors? If the answer to these questions is yes, he is a home run hire. Otherwise he is the reverse of CTA and who knows where that goes. He also recruited solely Florida players to FAU (which makes sense) but will he be able to translate that to recruiting players in the Midwest and the Floridian/Texan recruits to Indiana? Regardless, I will hesitantly be on board with another Tom leading Indiana.

Reactions: iubhounds
That’s cuz you’re LAZY. Did you know that right out of college, Creighton coached and played QB for a football team in Sweden, winning a championship?
Sweden!?
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

It's not just the one bad year at FAU, that's just my current talking point as his first season back in college football was wholly unimpressive. The things worse than a 4-8 record is that his players at Texas strongly disliked him and he was apathetic about recruiting.

Was his firing from Texas humbling? Does he have a renewed sense for coaching? Has he moved past the immaturity that spawned numerous rumors? If the answer to these questions is yes, he is a home run hire. Otherwise he is the reverse of CTA and who knows where that goes. He also recruited solely Florida players to FAU (which makes sense) but will he be able to translate that to recruiting players in the Midwest and the Floridian/Texan recruits to Indiana? Regardless, I will hesitantly be on board with another Tom leading Indiana.
Link, please, regarding players "strongly disliking him."

In his final season at UT, the Covid season, several players opted out of the bowl game but that's become commonplace, particularly for players who are eyeing Sunday ball. It isn't, by itself, indicative of "strong dislike" for the coach.

With respect to your claim that he was "apathetic about recruiting," I wish past IU coaches had been so apathetic. Herman had three straight years of Top 10 classes. His last class dropped to #17.

Rumors? Are you talking about the fact that he was part of a group that ran up a big tab at a strip club? If that was a job disqualifier, I suspect most of us would be unemployed. Or are you talking about rumors of infidelity put out there by Zach Smith, who had an ax to grind? Even if true, that was many years ago and it's between him and his wife.

Herman was 22-4 at Houston. He was 32-18 at Texas, including a 10-win season and a victory over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. As a head coach, he is 5-0 in bowl games. If this guy is hired here, it'll be a "pinch me" moment, at least for me.

In his final season at UT, the Covid season, several players opted out of the bowl game but that's become commonplace, particularly for players who are eyeing Sunday ball. It isn't, by itself, indicative of "strong dislike" for the coach.

With respect to your claim that he was "apathetic about recruiting," I wish past IU coaches had been so apathetic. Herman had three straight years of Top 10 classes. His last class dropped to #17.

Rumors? Are you talking about the fact that he was part of a group that ran up a big tab at a strip club? If that was a job disqualifier, I suspect most of us would be unemployed. Or are you talking about rumors of infidelity put out there by Zach Smith, who had an ax to grind? Even if true, that was many years ago and it's between him and his wife.

Herman was 22-4 at Houston. He was 32-18 at Texas, including a 10-win season and a victory over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. As a head coach, he is 5-0 in bowl games. If this guy is hired here, it'll be a "pinch me" moment, at least for me.
I would be absolutely giddy if we hired Herman. I'll take off all my clothes and run around the block.

I would be absolutely giddy if we hired Herman. I'll take off all my clothes and run around the block.
Not necessary and probably unadvisable with winter weather here. You know - - cold and flu season, shrinkage, etc.

Mixed responses from players... including the one of the opt outs

Additionally, the Texas AD learned Longhorn players were recruiting recruits away from Texas:
Then, Del Conte learned that some players currently on the roster were doing negative recruiting, telling some not to come to UT. It’s not unusual for disgruntled, outgoing players to talk negatively about a coaching staff they don’t like, though.

Apathetic for Texas is different than Indiana. Losing out on multiple top in-state recruits to out-of-state schools is a problem and they were sliding backwards, the Austin American-Statesman article outlines that. I'm not saying he can't recruit but it is infinitely harder at Indiana and if there's any lack in effort like there seemingly was towards the end of his tenure in Texas, we'll be far behind B1G schools.

In addition to those rumors, there have been rumors of other affairs all the way back to Iowa State, his toxicity and hardheadedness with boosters and school staff, heavily drinking and this leading to confrontations. These are in addition to immature public issues (mocking Drew Lock, the middle fingers on tv, snotty attitude about horns down).

I've written enough about Tom Herman so I probably won't respond about him so I'll say how I feel again: Was his firing from Texas humbling? Does he have a renewed sense for coaching? Has he moved past the immaturity that spawned numerous rumors? If the answer to these questions is yes, he is a home run hire... Regardless, I will hesitantly be on board with another Tom leading Indiana.

Reactions: Woodsa
It is interesting to read the various posts since yesterday on our fans ideas of who should be the next coach. Nothing wrong to speculate but I found it bewildering the number of folks who were touting coaches in their 60's. I don't know any more than anyone else, but I will guarantee that while it happened in basketball it is not going to happen in football. If Mr. Dolson was doing his job he has already made a study of potential candidates for the head coach position and has narrowed it down to 2-3 guys to interview. My own guess is that it will be announced soon.

Reactions: YOTHN and midwolfe
Don't assume because a certain coach won x many games at Texas he'd win a similar number here. Complete nonsense. Texas has it's TV network. Best in state recruiting in the country. Elite facilities. Just on a completely different stratosphere.

Like when UAB and Georgia hired Davis and Crean thinking they'd win like they did at IU. Would never happen.

I don't know a lot about him but I like that Washington St coach. Having lived in Washington years ago and attended the Apple Cup at Wazzu, it use to be a hard place to win. He took over midseason a year or two ago when their HC refused to get a COVID shot. He has recruited well and kept the success of the program going under some terrible circumstances this year, not knowing what their football conference future is.
I think he would be a phenomenal choice for IU

Reactions: nichlee
I think he would be a phenomenal choice for IU
I can't sit here and say he's a bad choice but it lacks the luster, if you will. He took over a program that had 6 consecutive bowl games and arguably they've gone backwards. They finished 2nd in the P-12 North when he was temporarily hired mid-season. Then they finished 7th in 2022 and 9th this year (including losing 7 of his last 8 games). He is 15-16 overall and 9-13 in the conference.

2021 - 3-3
2022 - 7-6
2023 - 5-7

He curb stomped a 4-win Washington team in the Apple Cup in 2021 but that's why the Washington coach was fired and DeBoer was hired. That feat hasn't since been repeated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT