ADVERTISEMENT

IUWBB Portal

Looks like USC got the big kid from Stanford to go with the freshman of the year and also the top recruiting class. I'm thinking letting them in the B10 was a mistake.

Reactions: red hornet
Looks like USC got the big kid from Stanford to go with the freshman of the year and also the top recruiting class. I'm thinking letting them in the B10 was a mistake.
With the direction college sports is headed, I don’t think we had a choice. It is make your conference stronger (big ten) or allow the opponent’s conference (SEC) to become stronger. Stronger means more tv, radio, streaming coverage with higher ad rates, paraphernalia sales, etc.
Big ten WBB is so strong now I believe we are 3rd or below, but time will tell. Stripping and Ciezki were nice gets but I don’t think can replace Mac and Sara. We do not have a super star (JuJu, Kiki, Page) and must rely on a full team that can go deeper than others. We also will need at least two guys to make a big jump.

We do not have a super star (JuJu, Kiki, Page) and must rely on a full team that can go deeper than others. We also will need at least two guys to make a big jump.

The more I think about last season, the more I believe we missed Grace's ability to get her own shot. Aside from Mac, everyone pretty much needed scheme. A Tyra would have been incredible for this season. My hope is the Penn State kid, being a player smaller than Moren normally likes, will provide that. I know we had trouble guarding her.

We aren't going to have the Mac scoring threat, so we have to run a somewhat different offense anyway.

But Moren is adaptable. That first season was painful offensively. Curt Miller was much more of a green light all the time coach, that wasn't Moren's style and we pushed the shot clock way too often. Tyra's ability to get fouled with .2 on the clock saved us that season. But Moren has come to actively want 3s, even early.

It would be great to get one of those top recruits who buy into her blue collar work harder culture. I was really hoping the kid that ended up committing to Vandy would be it. Vandy, who goes there.

I bet we are done with the portal.
I think we are top 25 for sure and likely 10-15 range. To go higher than that we need another portal (and a portal star) or a big jump from someone.
I have said before I am very hopeful for Beau. I am not expecting much from either freshman- Syd or Faith - but would be thrilled to be wrong. A jump from there could push us to top 5 range.

I bet we are done with the portal.
I think we are top 25 for sure and likely 10-15 range. To go higher than that we need another portal (and a portal star) or a big jump from someone.
I have said before I am very hopeful for Beau. I am not expecting much from either freshman- Syd or Faith - but would be thrilled to be wrong. A jump from there could push us to top 5 range.
I really feel that Wiseman will make an impact on the floor early this next year.

You had mentioned that earlier. Neither she nor Syd Fenn were ranked that high. I would love to see it, but what makes you feel she will jump?

She was rated pretty high...maybe in the 60s or so. Imo, however, she is not ready to play meaningful minutes against BT competition.. There are highlights out there to watch. Posters should watch them and see what they think. She looks pretty raw to me. You have to remember that she played at Indian Creek against less than great opposition. Her #s there were good but not through the roof.

She's taller and bigger than MHs, which is good. She's willing. She has a high ceiling. I don't doubt that she will develop into a player over time. But TM getting another front line player in the portal is the least surprising development ever. As someone pointed out, TM does not trust freshmen. Imo, the two frosh this year were better prepared for the college wars than Wiseman, and they got very little meaningful time. I'd be very happy if TM could find another F/C type in the portal who's also ready to play.

She was rated pretty high...maybe in the 60s or so. Imo, however, she is not ready to play meaningful minutes against BT competition.. There are highlights out there to watch. Posters should watch them and see what they think. She looks pretty raw to me. You have to remember that she played at Indian Creek against less than great opposition. Her #s there were good but not through the roof.

She's taller and bigger than MHs, which is good. She's willing. She has a high ceiling. I don't doubt that she will develop into a player over time. But TM getting another front line player in the portal is the least surprising development ever. As someone pointed out, TM does not trust freshmen. Imo, the two frosh this year were better prepared for the college wars than Wiseman, and they got very little meaningful time. I'd be very happy if TM could find another F/C type in the portal who's also ready to play.
This could end up being Currie Jelks who came last year and was out all year. If she can return to close to her freshman year heath she may be able to provide that frontcourt depth, still 6-2 and all OVC performer as a fresh. Granted, the OVC is not a great hoops conference, but would think she will be way more ready to contribute than the freshman. With Meister, Stripplin, Garzon, and Syd all able to guard bigs, as well as (hopefully) SCJ, the fresh can ease into whatever pt they get. Also, have to think Jules and or Beau make a jump and can be valuable contributors.

This could end up being Currie Jelks who came last year and was out all year. If she can return to close to her freshman year heath she may be able to provide that frontcourt depth, still 6-2 and all OVC performer as a fresh. Granted, the OVC is not a great hoops conference, but would think she will be way more ready to contribute than the freshman. With Meister, Stripplin, Garzon, and Syd all able to guard bigs, as well as (hopefully) SCJ, the fresh can ease into whatever pt they get. Also, have to think Jules and or Beau make a jump and can be valuable contributors.
I don't see Jelks being able to handle Big Ten 5s. More of a PF and very slight in build.

I don't see Jelks being able to handle Big Ten 5s. More of a PF and very slight in build.
The other aspect about Currie Jelkes is her knees. Two ACLs?
Lilly has had 2 years in the system and perhaps more importantly two years with Mac. I feel she will be solid tho not a star. You can’t blame her if she falls a little short of matching the highest scorer ever. Karoline has 3 years in the SEC so that should be great experience.
I would love to sit down with the coaching staff and talk about playing strategy. Great learning experience for me.

FWIW, ESPN released today a very early bracketology for next season and they have 9 B1G teams making the women's dance with newcomers USC and UCLA leading the way. Oregon and Washington were not in it. They had both IU and Iowa as 8-seeds. Here's who they see in their crystal ball out of the conference.

1-seed - USC
2-seed - UCLA
4-seed - OSU
5-seed - Nebraska
6-seed - Illinois
7-seed - MSU
7-seed - Maryland
8-seed - IU
8-seed - Iowa

FWIW, ESPN released today a very early bracketology for next season and they have 9 B1G teams making the women's dance with newcomers USC and UCLA leading the way. Oregon and Washington were not in it. They had both IU and Iowa as 8-seeds. Here's who they see in their crystal ball out of the conference.

1-seed - USC
2-seed - UCLA
4-seed - OSU
5-seed - Nebraska
6-seed - Illinois
7-seed - MSU
7-seed - Maryland
8-seed - IU
8-seed - Iowa

Understandable losing MHs and SS, but I think this will be TM's deepest team. I see 5 guards and 4 frontcourt players in the regular rotation, with Wiseman getting some minutes in blowouts. And that's not counting Jelks, who I think can contribute if she's here, is healthy, and has her head on straight. I'm hoping for a 3 seed, 4 at worst.

1-seed - USC
2-seed - UCLA
4-seed - OSU
5-seed - Nebraska
6-seed - Illinois
7-seed - MSU
7-seed - Maryland
8-seed - IU
8-seed - Iowa

I don’t see O$U finishing above IU. They lost a ton. I doubt IU is lower than a 4 seed unless they have injury issues.

I like Faith a lot, she has skills but she needs to live in the weight room and work hard with the s&c staff. She looks like a toothpick.
I don’t see O$U finishing above IU. They lost a ton. I doubt IU is lower than a 4 seed unless they have injury issues.
With the experience IU has coming back I don't see them lower than a 4 or 5 seed either. I think IU could take USC with all their youth. Just my take.

With the experience IU has coming back I don't see them lower than a 4 or 5 seed either. I think IU could take USC with all their youth. Just my take.
USC will have two of the top 10-ish players in the country and probably at least 3 of the top 50....and that's leaving out their freshmen class. I'm not nearly as optimistic as you. Anywhere from a 6-9 seed seems about right to me.

USC will have two of the top 10-ish players in the country and probably at least 3 of the top 50....and that's leaving out their freshmen class. I'm not nearly as optimistic as you. Anywhere from a 6-9 seed seems about right to me.
I will wait for roster updates to sort themselves out before much speculation but personally I think we should be good enough for a 6 or 7 seed right now. USC should be at the top.

Yea I think USC, USC, and UCONN are clearly going to be the top 3 teams if everyone is healthy. Last year we ended as a 4 seed with Mack and SS, so that may be a little optimistic to get home games in the tourney again. That said a 8 or 9 would be seen as a disappointment, I would think we end up in the 5-7 range in the NCAAT this year, but let's wait and see with the schedule 1st. The only NC game I know for sure is Stanford coming to B-Town correct?

Reactions: kmathum and kkott

Don't know where the regular IU women's thread is these days, so I thought I'd put this video here.

It's a video of Hamilton SE and '25 IU recruit Maya Makalvsky (#3 in white in the video). She's very thin but has a very pure shot from range, and moves well. To me, she looks and plays like a younger, thinner, slightly taller S. Parrish. She's 6'3".

But also notice #23 in black for Noblesville. Her name is Meredith Tippner. She's only 5'9", but she's the most dominant player in this game. She was also the best player on Noblesville's state championship soccer team. In their championship game she scored one goal, and assisted on their other two. She really is tough and plays with an attitude. I don't know if we're recruiting her or not.....maybe she doesn't shoot much from 3? I don't see her attempt any 3s in this game. I'd be interested in knowing what she shooots on 3s and on the foul line.

Quick look shows Tippner averaged 16 and 10. Shot 44% overall, 27% from 3, 55% from the line.

That said, hope the soccer coaches are looking at her!!!

O$U lost 3 guards, and landed 1 starting guard, in the portal so far. Not that impressive really. Maryland has killed it in the portal though. I’d say only USC has done better. They will win the Big easily, and be S Carolina’s biggest threat next season.
They also got Ajae Petty from Kentucky. And the #3 HS recruit who is also a guard

Add LSU to that list and maybe USC just due to Kiki who is thought to be the number one pick in the wnba next year.
Maryland seems to have the opposite strategy of IU, they take talent and don't consider chemistry. That team that had Reese and Owusu had to be the equivalent of having Rodman and Artest.

I think USC will be #1 most of the season. They were a 1 seed and have had a great off-season.

For us, with PT I think Lilly will be capable. I don't see why, if they work as they always do, we can't be a 4 seed again. We need Lex to be a credible shooting threat, and I would love for Yarden to work some with her back to the basket. She presents very interesting matchup problems. But when smaller players guarded her last year, her attempts to post up weren't as successful. She just needs to feel more comfortable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT