ADVERTISEMENT

Fitzgerald

Bob Ryan, Kevin Wilson, and Ordy walk into a bar....
I met Kevin Wilson once and, while not overly friendly, he was very accomadating and tolerant of us fans. Like Knight, I imagine it's the crowd he's around and the situation.

I like no-bullshit people like that and usually have no problem with them.

Reactions: bang63 and jsenleo
I met Kevin Wilson once and, while not overly friendly, he was very accomadating and tolerant of us fans. Like Knight, I imagine it's the crowd he's around and the situation.

I like no-bullshit people like that and usually have no problem with them.

The relationship between Wilson and Glass had to have been really awkward. Wilson always referred to him as “Mr. Glass” in interviews, which is formal and professional, but many of these coach/AD relationships are so very close that they are on a first name basis.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Known within coaching network is what I was getting at.
Wilson was a Broyles winner in 2008 and he went untouched as a head coaching hire until IU did it in 2011. Seems like a red flag, but who knows?
The first night on campus he has an alcohol fueled altercation with an RA.
Which begs the question: is this normal for a university to put its head football coach into a dorm as his temporary residence while he gets his house search squared away? I mean, the university didn’t have access to any other accommodations? Is this just an IU thing?
There are some suites in specific dorms that are/were used for visitors/new hires as temp housing. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me considering the parking etc. no clue if they are still used that way.

KW got off to a rough start on campus and on the radio.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I have a very good idea of Pat Ryan’s mindset, given his history with NU, among other things. He has been both the key driver and benefactor of athletic facilities development and expansion at NU for decades (see Ryan Field, (Shirley, Mrs. Pat Ryan) Welsh - Ryan Arena are examples of that). That’s pure fact, not speculation.

And the neighborhood issues existed and were a potential impediment well before any of the current issues were unearthed. Again, fact, rather than speculation.

Lastly, Pat and Shirley Ryan are extremely vital and active people, regardless of their age. PR is 25 years past bypass surgery but has otherwise enjoyed excellent health. Nonetheless, I’m certain he’d like to get this project completed so that he and his wife are able to enjoy it. Pat is, by the way is a “Life Trustee”, and one of his sons is a current active Trustee. And, as I mentioned earlier, Pat is a visionary who won’t be deterred by events such as this. Again, facts. Hope that helps.
Did Ryan tell YOU these things DIRECTLY? Or are you speculating based off of media reports and other hearsay?

Asking for a coaching friend.

The relationship between Wilson and Glass had to have been really awkward. Wilson always referred to him as “Mr. Glass” in interviews, which is formal and professional, but many of these coach/AD relationships are so very close that they are on a first name basis.
Image how awkward it was after the extension as Fred had to manage him out

There are some suites in specific dorms that are/were used for visitors/new hires as temp housing. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me considering the parking etc. no clue if they are still used that way.

KW got off to a rough start on campus and on the radio.
I thought he got off to a great start!!! His first interview he put some tool (was it Benner? Can't remember) in his place when questioned why IU doesn't win the Bucket Game. KW pointed out very colorfully that IU had just won the Bucket.

I liked the Way he infused winning habits. He matter of factly called out the laziness of the quarterback room, sitting in the lounge couches watching TV. I liked his reply when asked what kind of offense IU would run. "We are gonna find out what the line can block, and run that".

What were those Oklahoma drills he ran first off? It was posted and the IU players were awful at them!!

He taught IU what a winning program has to do.

I think you have to be careful when you say "known history." Known by whom? And was it verifiable information or just rumor? I'm just one person, but I never heard that Wilson had a "history with the bottle" prior to being hired at Indiana.

Also, these search firms can find out only so much. It's not like an FBI background check.

Alcohol is obviously a complex thing. There are plenty who get and stay sober. Others don't make much/any progress. If I'm an AD, I'd consider a guy with a past history who is clearly and demonstrably committed to sobriety. A DUI, though, would be a disqualifier.

I'm not all that familiar with his case, but Steve Sarkisian has become gainfully employed after his debacle at USC.

Back to Wilson and search firms. We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Wilson engineered an explosive and exciting offense at IU and got us to bowl games. IU got some value from the retention of the search firm.
Wilson didn't win any bowl games though as you forgot to add his bowl record.

You think NU can't raise that much money?
Northwestern can easily raise all the money they want.
The question is does the administration want to raise the
cash? I remember when a President of Northwestern
said, he did not care if the football team ever won another
game.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Northwestern can easily raise all the money they want.
The question is does the administration want to raise the
cash? I remember when a President of Northwestern
said, he did not care if the football team ever won another
game.
Yes but did that Pres know Pat Ryan? Did he really know him?

Because ….

Nuisance news. Six tenured professors called for a halt to the discussion. How many profs do you think there are at NU?
6 has become over 260 and growing.

Moderator removed my calling bayer as a fo - ol. This site is becoming a joke by the mediator. I guess we can't say things about posters now.

"The former player . . . told The Daily Northwestern that sexualized hazing activities took place in the team's locker room. One common practice, called "running," involved a younger player being restrained while eight to 10 older players engaged in a sexualized act in the locker room. Versions of "running" took place during certain portions of the year, including Thanksgiving and Christmas.

"It's a shocking experience as a freshman to see your fellow freshman teammates get ran, but then you see everybody bystanding in the locker room," the former player told The Daily Northwestern. "It's just a really abrasive and barbaric culture that has permeated throughout that program for years on end now."

I'd lay odds at 50-50 that Fitz is NW's HC on opening day.

They better reconsider who was responsible and I doubt it was coach Fitz.

6 has become over 260 and growing.

They need to find you really is doing the hazing and allowing it but Coach Fitzgerld didn't know and some other coach that is doing it. I wouldn't let all the professors do it as they don't know who is causing it. I would bet one of the assistants are doing it - who has been there for years. I bet the players never went to coach Fitz so it was someone else. He should be brought back and find who is doing it. They just assumed it was coach Fitz and I doubt he was for it.

"The buck stops here."
The players never went to Fitz so unless it was him then I have no problem with him being fired but if not then I can't see him being fired. If players told Fitz about the abuse then I agree with the buck stops here, otherwise make the changes NW is but keep Fitz. If no one tells you what is happening out of your sight then it is difficult to know and make changes.

Reactions: jsenleo
The players never went to Fitz so unless it was him then I have no problem with him being fired but if not then I can't see him being fired. If players told Fitz about the abuse then I agree with the buck stops here, otherwise make the changes NW is but keep Fitz. If no one tells you what is happening out of your sight then it is difficult to know and make changes.
If this activity predated Fritz’s elevation to HC (and reports say it did) there are a helluva lot if people, including three AD’s and three Presidents and lot of trustees who sure did not have their ears to the ground. There are lots of asses being covered when every faculty member, every assistant coach, every staff member and every player who was ever involved or knew anything about the abuses remains in place and Pat Fitzgerald falls on his sword for the whole bunch!

If this activity predated Fritz’s elevation to HC (and reports say it did) there are a helluva lot if people, including three AD’s and three Presidents and lot of trustees who sure did not have their ears to the ground. There are lots of asses being covered when every faculty member, every assistant coach, every staff member and every player who was ever involved or knew anything about the abuses remains in place and Pat Fitzgerald falls on his sword for the whole bunch!
I wonder if this escalated from truly fun and games stuff to this ugly stuff over time.

Learned behavior. It happened to the upper-classmen and they're determined to do the same, or worse, to the next incoming group.

Until it becomes tradition

Same thing happens at the service academies.
Gay-themed sexual abuse? I don't believe that for a second.

Except boot camp is preparing for life and death.
There is a lot of hazing in boot camp, but it's not sexual in nature. At least not in my experience.

There's a lot of bullying and emotional stress, but that's more to condition you to follow orders without questioning.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT