ADVERTISEMENT

Fitzgerald

Would have had some more meat to the story if they detailed what the hazing incidents were?

Giving freshmen a swirly?
Forced to lick an offensive lineman’s balls?
Wearing jockstraps as COVID masks?

Hazing in college football has been going on for forever. How severe was it?

• Haha
Reactions: Indianaftw
How severe was it?
Well, the two week suspension is not two games, it’s begins today (recruiting dead period, time most staffs grab vacation before camp begins next month) and is probably unpaid in terms of base salary, and not the add ons (camps, media, etc.) that probably comprise the bulk of his NU income. In other words, he won’t miss a minute of contact with the team.

That should answer your question.

The biggest impact that will be felt is that for once, a reporter might actually ask a question during the B10 media day availability rather than the usual crickets that accompany his appearance.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Hazing?... Who were they hazing?
nerds revenge GIF

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Would have had some more meat to the story if they detailed what the hazing incidents were?

Thats pretty good.

This is all too common these days...

The investigation, led by former Illinois inspector general Maggie Hickey, found "evidence to corroborate claims made by an anonymous whistleblower regarding hazing activities and events."

Keywords: Maggie Hickey (a woman leads the investigation into a mans world)...evidence to corroborate claims...anonymous whistleblower...

This sounds like DC BS, not a football team. Jeez!

If true, it is disappointing this is going on at NW.
Cmon man this happens everywhere to a degree...As long as its not dangerous or life threatening its just boys being boys. I just hope this isn't the new "pussified" please excuse the term IDK of another to substitute, version of football moving forward. I have to think the new guys are gonna get crap, in what world don't they?

Ohhhh and edit...This self reporting of it is actually kind of a joke. Did you see the list of preventative measures? LOL.

Not as bad as Urban Meyer turning a blind eye down in Gainesville when his players were involved in murders.

I don't think Tucker got penalized when his Michigan State thugs we're mugging Michigan Wolverines in the tunnel after the game.

Whatever the Fitzgerald situation was I'm guessing that whatever the hazing incidents were if he didn't know about them he should have.

Now the players are getting paid these will probably be workplace violations and subject to local and state law.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Not as bad as Urban Meyer turning a blind eye down in Gainesville when his players were involved in murders.

I don't think Tucker got penalized when his Michigan State thugs we're mugging Michigan Wolverines in the tunnel after the game.

Whatever the Fitzgerald situation was I'm guessing that whatever the hazing incidents were if he didn't know about them he should have.

Now the players are getting paid these will probably be workplace violations and subject to local and state law.
Nowhere near that as of this point. The NIL $$ is on their own and paid by collectives and businesses outside the university. Players are not on payroll (yet).

Players must financially answer to the IRS only at this point,

never understood the hazing thing, be it in a fraternity or sports team or whatever, or why anyone would condone it.

being an ahole toward someone isn't a team or comradery building activity, rather just the exact opposite.

those into hazing others are most likely aholes by nature.

YUCK . . . My eyes are still hurting from reading this post.

M
It shouldn't be going on and I made sure in my locker rooms it didn't happen. It is just the stronger preying on the weaker.

But, isn’t some of that done to toughen up the weaker ones on a football team? It’s football. They do it in the military as a way to build toughness. It is like a boot camp to mentally expose new guys to adversity.

It shouldn't be going on and I made sure in my locker rooms it didn't happen. It is just the stronger preying on the weaker.
I sure don't know whats going on, BUT 10 years ago it may have been serious. These days it might be guys playing pranks, which happens, and society is clearly getting weaker. IDK I'm speculating. There's no transparency in the article which is good iyam because these days everyone will jump to a guilty verdict.

So was it this?

The media still reveres and adores the program at a place called Happy Valley. They absolutely love them. “We are…”
Meanwhile, kids were getting raped in the shower by the head coach’s best friend. Grandpa claimed senility and these were elementary school kids.
All is good and they turn up by over 100,000 each home game for the infamous white out.
The boys in Happy Valley were 6-11 years old. But, everyone is all smiles and rah-rah now.
They will express outrage for a few months and then forget about all of this.

Yea I agree thats extreme whack job messed up, however, in my defense the article I linked didn't describe anything at all.

Edit: And if your article is true Fitzgerald needs to be fired asap. That is serious degenerate behavior.

I am currently initiating an investigative process through Maggie Hickey myself to look into my two dogs. They have been subjecting my family to “dry humping” antics for years and it’s been mentally taking a toll.
Those two horny little bastards have been creating a very uncomfortable environment for my family team members.

I am currently initiating an investigative process through Maggie Hickey myself to look into my two dogs. They have been subjecting my family to “dry humping” antics for years and it’s been mentally taking a toll.
Those two horny little bastards have been creating a very uncomfortable environment for my family team members.
To be fair, you’ve always been very clear in your firm belief that nothing promotes brotherhood and team building like simulated gay rape.

If this is accurate he needs to go...

Wierd...
To put it mildly...

Perhaps not as painful as the “code red” bars of soap in tube socks … but it went too far.
Some of the description struck me as “sophmoronic”. It’s clear more should be demanded from athletes in such a privileged setting with high entrance standards.

In my personal experience, “hazing“ is not team building — nor is it likey to really improve performance. My HS FB “hazing” was to have been given a name too vile to repeat in polite company — by a Parade HS All American team captain no less. HS Coach wanted me to rat out the ”cabal” — I declined.

It couldn’t improve my painfully slow 40 time. (I ran a 6+ 40 and an 11+ 100).

What would you rather have in your IU locker room? Sophomoric hazing or its antithesis “LEO”?

Last edited:
If this is accurate he needs to go...

Wierd...
To put it mildly...
Fitzgerald had a great run but it's time for him to be fired and it's got nothing to do with his crappy teams over the last couple of years

Reactions: Klaus 7196 and 76-1
USA Today's take on things:

Fitz's seat may become very hot indeed...

Born and raised in rural community, always lived in rural areas. Never experienced hazing in HS nor saw any, heard about any or felt any was taking place. Cities?
Certainly college environment a different culture.
Attica, IN had some pretty rough hazing in the early to mid ‘00s.

There was a kid a year behind me where I grew up that brought a cattle prod to 2 a days to shock freshman. Freaking moron.

Edit: the Attica thing was basketball I guess. https://www.journalreview.com/stories/snow-and-travel-warnings-for-the-county,84378

The media still reveres and adores the program at a place called Happy Valley. They absolutely love them. “We are…”
Meanwhile, kids were getting raped in the shower by the head coach’s best friend. Grandpa claimed senility and these were elementary school kids.
All is good and they turn up by over 100,000 each home game for the infamous white out.
The boys in Happy Valley were 6-11 years old. But, everyone is all smiles and rah-rah now.
They will express outrage for a few months and then forget about all of this.
The number of remaining JoePa apologists there is disgusting. Before I engage any PS fan in football conversation I ask if they think Joe was culpable in the coverup. The answer then makes my decision regrding continuing any dialogue.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13

So you condone this type of behavior?
And before you try to get cute, I am not talking about your dogs.

So you condone this type of behavior?
And before you try to get cute, I am not talking about your dogs.

No. I don’t condone that type of behavior. I asked for details from the original article and someone did articulate those. So, no, to answer your question. It’s the first I’ve heard of a football team doing the “dry humping” tactic though and that is just plain weird.

Reactions: Al Bino
And it is usually the guys Who talk a much better game than they play Who are involved in this stuff. Maybe to make themselves feel better about themselves by humiliating someone else. However, this is where leadership comes into play. This was no secret in the locker room. The Captains and Team Leaders need to light up their teammates Who are involved and make it stop, or report it to the Coaching Staff.

If You were a Player, would You want to be lined up next to one of these locker room bullies and have confidence that they will carry out their assignment on the field, and not let their selfishness detract from team performance.

And it is usually the guys Who talk a much better game than they play Who are involved in this stuff. Maybe to make themselves feel better about themselves by humiliating someone else. However, this is where leadership comes into play. This was no secret in the locker room. The Captains and Team Leaders need to light up their teammates Who are involved and make it stop, or report it to the Coaching Staff.

If You were a Player, would You want to be lined up next to one of these locker room bullies and have confidence that they will carry out their assignment on the field, and not let their selfishness detract from team performance.
Wasn’t there an issue involving the Carmel boys basketball team a few years ago that was similar to this? Creepy, to say the least.

"The former player . . . told The Daily Northwestern that sexualized hazing activities took place in the team's locker room. One common practice, called "running," involved a younger player being restrained while eight to 10 older players engaged in a sexualized act in the locker room. Versions of "running" took place during certain portions of the year, including Thanksgiving and Christmas.

"It's a shocking experience as a freshman to see your fellow freshman teammates get ran, but then you see everybody bystanding in the locker room," the former player told The Daily Northwestern. "It's just a really abrasive and barbaric culture that has permeated throughout that program for years on end now."

I'd lay odds at 50-50 that Fitz is NW's HC on opening day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT