ADVERTISEMENT

Fitzgerald

"The former player . . . told The Daily Northwestern that sexualized hazing activities took place in the team's locker room. One common practice, called "running," involved a younger player being restrained while eight to 10 older players engaged in a sexualized act in the locker room. Versions of "running" took place during certain portions of the year, including Thanksgiving and Christmas.

"It's a shocking experience as a freshman to see your fellow freshman teammates get ran, but then you see everybody bystanding in the locker room," the former player told The Daily Northwestern. "It's just a really abrasive and barbaric culture that has permeated throughout that program for years on end now."

I'd lay odds at 50-50 that Fitz is NW's HC on opening day.

80-20. This just torpedoed recruiting, donor giving and made the team/school a magnet for every "This is what aggressive male sports do to young men" drum beater out there. ESPN will run this into the ground. I'll be surprised if he makes it through this next week, although they may back off in fear of a lawsuit if it looks like it was too quick to judgement.

Reactions: vesuvius13
80-20. This just torpedoed recruiting, donor giving and made the team/school a magnet for every "This is what aggressive male sports do to young men" drum beater out there. ESPN will run this into the ground. I'll be surprised if he makes it through this next week, although they may back off in fear of a lawsuit if it looks like it was too quick to judgement.
This is a national news story, not simply an ESPN feature.

I'm not sure I understand your position. Do you doubt the veracity of the claims or are you saying that, even if it happened, it's a nothingburger? If the latter, I vehemently disagree.

This is a national news story, not simply an ESPN feature.

I'm not sure I understand your position. Do you doubt the veracity of the claims or are you saying that, even if it happened, it's a nothingburger? If the latter, I vehemently disagree.
Simply stating a fact, he is most likely gone, and soon. Not a fan of hazing, I worked to get it eliminated from my fraternity in the last century. Also not a fan of trial by media and rush to judgement, but I think that has become SOP for large institutions with the thought it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission (let's get rid of him now to eliminate the issue, and if it turns out there wasn't one, mea culpa).

Simply stating a fact, he is most likely gone, and soon. Not a fan of hazing, I worked to get it eliminated from my fraternity in the last century. Also not a fan of trial by media and rush to judgement, but I think that has become SOP for large institutions with the thought it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission (let's get rid of him now to eliminate the issue, and if it turns out there wasn't one, mea culpa).
Where’s the trial by media?

They’ve reported corroborated stories. They’ve presented both sides. I haven’t seen an opinion uttered, but by all means show me if there has been. I’m sure there will be in the days ahead, all with an ‘if true’ statement attached to them.

Cmon man this happens everywhere to a degree...As long as its not dangerous or life threatening its just boys being boys. I just hope this isn't the new "pussified" please excuse the term IDK of another to substitute, version of football moving forward. I have to think the new guys are gonna get crap, in what world don't they?

Ohhhh and edit...This self reporting of it is actually kind of a joke. Did you see the list of preventative measures? LOL.
@Indianaftw , you started the thread. If these allegations are true, what do you think? Happens everywhere? "Boys being boys?"

@Indianaftw , you started the thread. If these allegations are true, what do you think? Happens everywhere? "Boys being boys?"
Did you not read what I said? My article listed nothing, his article went into extreme detail. Heres my post:

Yea I agree thats extreme whack job messed up, however, in my defense the article I linked didn't describe anything at all.

Edit: And if your article is true Fitzgerald needs to be fired asap. That is serious degenerate behavior.

Didn’t NU suspend him after being informed of all of these issues / details? Not sure why they’d alter their discipline of him when none of the facts have changed . . .

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Didn’t NU suspend him after being informed of all of these issues / details? Not sure why they’d alter their discipline of him when none of the facts have changed . . .
Maybe you should talk to Schill. He said he "may have erred in weighing the appropriate sanction."

Also, new details have in fact emerged.

Did you not read what I said? My article listed nothing, his article went into extreme detail. Heres my post:

Yea I agree thats extreme whack job messed up, however, in my defense the article I linked didn't describe anything at all.

Edit: And if your article is true Fitzgerald needs to be fired asap. That is serious degenerate behavior.
It's more than degenerate. It's vile.

Now, everyone (PU guests included), let’s play a game…….
Exact same hazing scenario, timing of story, etc.

Except, it’s Ryan Day and OSU.

What happens from both the media and the school?
Hmmm

I suspect we never learn of it, but if we did the school, league offices and local media would likely sanitize.

One third stringer would be dismissed as coaches are hailed as heroes for protecting the team and the brand and rewarded by IU giving them one of our wins each of the next three years.

Maybe you should talk to Schill. He said he "may have erred in weighing the appropriate sanction."

Also, new details have in fact emerged.

What new details have emerged of which Schill was previously unaware? Did the lawyer or her firm publish an addendum to their previously issued report, which was used as the basis for his punishment?

To be fair, we initiated two distinct investigations conducted by two law firms, neither of which were able to corroborate any of the allegations against Kevin Wilson, yet we pushed him out anyway in an effort to save face and obscure (at least attempt to) the poor management of him. I’m sure NU is scrambling to similarly cover themselves.

Last edited:
And it is usually the guys Who talk a much better game than they play Who are involved in this stuff. Maybe to make themselves feel better about themselves by humiliating someone else. However, this is where leadership comes into play. This was no secret in the locker room. The Captains and Team Leaders need to light up their teammates Who are involved and make it stop, or report it to the Coaching Staff.

If You were a Player, would You want to be lined up next to one of these locker room bullies and have confidence that they will carry out their assignment on the field, and not let their selfishness detract from team performance.
You applied the correct term, bullying.

Hmmm

I suspect we never learn of it, but if we did the school, league offices and local media would likely sanitize.

One third stringer would be dismissed as coaches are hailed as heroes for protecting the team and the brand and rewarded by IU giving them one of our wins each of the next three years.
Cleveland State may never get off probation at this rate.

Where’s the trial by media?

They’ve reported corroborated stories. They’ve presented both sides. I haven’t seen an opinion uttered, but by all means show me if there has been. I’m sure there will be in the days ahead, all with an ‘if true’ statement attached to them.
In today's 24 hour news cycle 10K streaming outlets Click-based "media", how could it NOT be trialed by the same? I haven't (and won't) see the ESPN response, but this will most likely be a round table discussion with folks that are looking to make an impression to save their jobs. Will both side be covered? Hopefully. Will there be calls for immediate action/termination? Most definitely.

What new details have emerged of which Schill was previously unaware? Did the lawyer or her firm publish an addendum to their previously issued report, which was used as the basis for his punishment?

To be fair, we initiated two distinct investigations conducted by two law firms, neither of which were able to corroborate any of the allegations against Kevin Wilson, yet we pushed him out anyway in an effort to save face and obscure (at least attempt to) the poor management of him. I’m sure NU is scrambling to similarly cover themselves.
You'll have to ask him. My understanding is that a second former player has come forward in addition to the initial whistleblower. Also, a screenshot of a whiteboard in the middle of the locker room reflecting a "Shrek List" (guys apparently targeted for "naked slingshots" and "naked bear crawls") was provided to a media outlet yesterday. It's a developing story.

Why the reference to Wilson? First, it's a silly comparison. Hazing wasn't the allegation against Wilson's football team. Rather, the claims were that Wilson personally humiliated injured players, suggested they were worthless, were wasting a scholarship ("I'm paying $70,000 a year for you to sit on your ass"), etc. It's been a while since I've read anything about the formal investigations, but I do recall that Glass suggested Wilson's attitude toward injured players was a contributing factor in Wilson's departure. I also remember the dad of one of the players corroborating the claims, and Wilson himself admitting that he approached injured players and implied that they weren't useful members of the team, but the comments were just "jokes."

In today's 24 hour news cycle 10K streaming outlets Click-based "media", how could it NOT be trialed by the same? I haven't (and won't) see the ESPN response, but this will most likely be a round table discussion with folks that are looking to make an impression to save their jobs. Will both side be covered? Hopefully. Will there be calls for immediate action/termination? Most definitely.
If what's being reported is true, do you think he should be terminated?

If what's being reported is true, do you think he should be terminated?
Great question. If he knew about it, most definitely (and it's trending that he did). If he didn't, that still raises questions about competence/engagement with what's going on with HIS team, so that leans towards yes. Having said that, I like Fitz and what he represents and what he's done with that team and the image of NW football. if it comes down to it and all of this plays out as true, I'd love to see him take the high road and resign. Probably won't happen, but if he went that way (and he was in the dark) I think it would leave the door open for him to land a spot somewhere else in a few years.

You'll have to ask him. My understanding is that a second former player has come forward in addition to the initial whistleblower. Also, a screenshot of a whiteboard in the middle of the locker room reflecting a "Shrek List" (guys apparently targeted for "naked slingshots" and "naked bear crawls") was provided to a media outlet yesterday. It's a developing story.

Why the reference to Wilson? First, it's a silly comparison. Hazing wasn't the allegation against Wilson's football team. Rather, the claims were that Wilson personally humiliated injured players, suggested they were worthless, were wasting a scholarship ("I'm paying $70,000 a year for you to sit on your ass"), etc. It's been a while since I've read anything about the formal investigations, but I do recall that Glass suggested Wilson's attitude toward injured players was a contributing factor in Wilson's departure. I also remember the dad of one of the players corroborating the claims, and Wilson himself admitting that he approached injured players and implied that they weren't useful members of the team, but the comments were just "jokes."
The comparison of Wilson’s matter was merely to illustrate how investigations can and often are conducted. It’s not “silly” if one understands how those processes are undertaken. As for his ridiculing talk, it’s not an uncommon tactic for coaches at that level to behave in that manner. We had a HOF hoops coach who had a penchant for some pretty biting stuff. Glass loved Wilson until he didn’t, then he ran him off. His biggest error was hiring him, something other programs had chosen to not do due to reputational issues (some of which were “earned” coincidentally, while he was an assistant at NU).

As for NU, there is nothing to suggest that new information was discovered and / or revealed to their President. He might’ve been less than fully informed by his AD and, as a result, was blindsided by the media reporting, but there’s nothing to even hint at anything new. Far more likely is the blowback from the public revelation of the salacious and disgusting (alleged) conduct, which makes PF’s two week unpaid holiday look like a $5 parking ticket. He’s just reacting to the negative publicity.

Great question. If he knew about it, most definitely (and it's trending that he did). If he didn't, that still raises questions about competence/engagement with what's going on with HIS team, so that leans towards yes. Having said that, I like Fitz and what he represents and what he's done with that team and the image of NW football. if it comes down to it and all of this plays out as true, I'd love to see him take the high road and resign. Probably won't happen, but if he went that way (and he was in the dark) I think it would leave the door open for him to land a spot somewhere else in a few years.
Right, depends what he knew and when. Other coaches have the same questions regarding themselves.

If they knew nothing then what measures will be taken to be sure staff is better engaged in the future.

My dad graduated from HS around 1948. He once told me that hazing used to be much more common. Then, after WWII, thousands of combat veterans became college freshmen. No pencil-necked junior 3rd stringers were going to haze those guys.

More troubles for Fitz and the program

Baseball coach is also in the crosshairs

Gotta assume the AD is about to get gone.

Last edited:
Hazing is nothing new for football programs. Many years ago I read a book written by a former University of Texas player in the early 1960s. He described freshmen players as having to endure "record races." Those races consisted of players placing records in the anus of another player. if the player dropped the record then the original record placer would have to put the record back in the other's backside.

• Wow
Would imagine more than just Fitz could be in serious trouble here. If any current players are engaging in this stuff, it would stand to reason that they’d be booted, as well.

The comparison of Wilson’s matter was merely to illustrate how investigations can and often are conducted. It’s not “silly” if one understands how those processes are undertaken. As for his ridiculing talk, it’s not an uncommon tactic for coaches at that level to behave in that manner. We had a HOF hoops coach who had a penchant for some pretty biting stuff. Glass loved Wilson until he didn’t, then he ran him off. His biggest error was hiring him, something other programs had chosen to not do due to reputational issues (some of which were “earned” coincidentally, while he was an assistant at NU).

As for NU, there is nothing to suggest that new information was discovered and / or revealed to their President. He might’ve been less than fully informed by his AD and, as a result, was blindsided by the media reporting, but there’s nothing to even hint at anything new. Far more likely is the blowback from the public revelation of the salacious and disgusting (alleged) conduct, which makes PF’s two week unpaid holiday look like a $5 parking ticket. He’s just reacting to the negative publicity.
I actually agree with some of this, but it's difficult to get past the tone of your posts which typically reek of condescension. Are you aware of this and that's your intent, or are you completely oblivious?

With respect to your second sentence, I don't know much about how the "investigative process was undertaken" at Northwestern nor what the detailed findings were and neither do you because private institutions are not required to publicly report that information. Northwestern released merely a two page executive summary which had little in the way of detail. That's another reason why the IU/NU comparison, apples and oranges, was silly.

I actually agree with some of this, but it's difficult to get past the tone of your posts which typically reek of condescension. Are you aware of this and that's your intent, or are you completely oblivious?

With respect to your second sentence, I don't know much about how the "investigative process was undertaken" at Northwestern nor what the detailed findings were and neither do you because private institutions are not required to publicly report that information. Northwestern released merely a two page executive summary which had little in the way of detail. That's another reason why the IU/NU comparison, apples and oranges, was silly.
If you feel condescension, maybe you should read your posts and then consult the nearest mirror and ask it nicely what a lack of self-awareness means.

Otherwise, should be an interesting week at NU.

It didn't take long for the axe to drop and it is at a really bad time for this NW team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT