ADVERTISEMENT

ChatGPT

NPT

Aug 28, 2001
Has anyone messed around with ChatGPT? I've thought about doing it but never have. Microsoft apparently had an AI version of their search engine but only allow so many to use it and you have to get on a waiting list.

I have been using it for fun. I had it write a haiku, something in iambic pentameter, an opening paragraph to a WW1 novel, and a short story based on West Wing.

The haiku wasn't great, the opening paragraph was a good concept but it was badly written. I don't recall exactly, something like one sentence about how everyone could see the disastrous war approaching and a later sentence that no one could predict how their lives were about to change.

The west wing story had Bartlett leaving the White House the final tim talking with Leo. Hmm.

I have asked it the cause of the American Civil War and a few other more factual things. Factually, it isn't bad. The writing is too formal, it seems most would catch on that it was written by AI or at least by someone for whom English is a second language.

I have a faculty member using it to write answers to essay questions to give to students to tell them they better be able to do better.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I have been using it for fun. I had it write a haiku, something in iambic pentameter, an opening paragraph to a WW1 novel, and a short story based on West Wing.

The haiku wasn't great, the opening paragraph was a good concept but it was badly written. I don't recall exactly, something like one sentence about how everyone could see the disastrous war approaching and a later sentence that no one could predict how their lives were about to change.

The west wing story had Bartlett leaving the White House the final tim talking with Leo. Hmm.

I have asked it the cause of the American Civil War and a few other more factual things. Factually, it isn't bad. The writing is too formal, it seems most would catch on that it was written by AI or at least by someone for whom English is a second language.

I have a faculty member using it to write answers to essay questions to give to students to tell them they better be able to do better.

starting to mess around with it @ work, particularly for formal business writing. Write up something quick and then ask it to formalize it and make it read better, etc...

starting to mess around with it @ work, particularly for formal business writing. Write up something quick and then ask it to formalize it and make it read better, etc...
I somewhat wonder what people are asking it to know it is so woke.

Using it to start blog posts. It needs to be reworked and heavily edited most of the time, but it does a good job of setting the initial structure and that's the hardest part for me most of the time.

Has anyone messed around with ChatGPT? I've thought about doing it but never have. Microsoft apparently had an AI version of their search engine but only allow so many to use it and you have to get on a waiting list.
Isn’t POTUS essentially a chatbot? But not a very good one. He often has trouble reading the script.

Darn thing wouldn't tell me what stocks to buy to become rich. 😂
Sorting stocks is a quantitative deep neural network application, and not a (qualitative) natural language kind of problem. Neural networks thrive on crunching numbers, but struggle with intangible factors not expressed in the training set.

Using it to start blog posts. It needs to be reworked and heavily edited most of the time, but it does a good job of setting the initial structure and that's the hardest part for me most of the time.

What does this mean exactly? You tell ChatGPT what type of content you are going to write and it spits out its attempt to fill that?

Quant traders always seem to go bust in the long haul
Hard to put business model fundamentals in spreadsheets.
Cheating the discount rate only goes so far.

If you think you don’t understand… then you don’t and should invest in companies you understand… or just take index funds.

Technical analysis provides insight into short term price risk

Last edited:
Exactly that.

Why is XYZ important to ABC? How could ABC optimize it's use of XYZ?

Just seems like if you are using AI to construct your thoughts, they aren't really unique or value additive. But what do I know? I hated marketing.

Just seems like if you are using AI to construct your thoughts, they aren't really unique or value additive. But what do I know? I hated marketing.
I have to provide 1 blog post per month that then gets diced up into snippets for email & social marketing campaigns. This saves me several hours of frustration each time. It lays out the structure of the post and then I edit it to make sense and submit it.

I'm not in marketing, so it's a PITA to have to do it to begin with. This let's me shortcut it and do my actual job that I get paid to do. In a round about way, ChatGPT is actually replacing the marketing associate that should be doing these blog posts instead of me.

I'm not in marketing, so it's a PITA to have to do it to begin with. This let's me shortcut it and do my actual job that I get paid to do. In a round about way, ChatGPT is actually replacing the marketing associate that should be doing these blog posts instead of me.
So in a round about way, this is technology once again replacing lower level workers.

So in a round about way, this is technology once again replacing lower level workers.
Yes, but if we'd have had a marketing associate, I wouldnt be in a rotation with other non-marketing types who are writing marketing content.

There was a (Forbes?) article I read in the last few days that talked about that. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Yes, but if we'd have had a marketing associate, I wouldnt be in a rotation with other non-marketing types who are writing marketing content.

There was a (Forbes?) article I read in the last few days that talked about that. I'll see if I can dig it up.

What, you think management getting people to do stuff outside their prescribed duties is some kind of new phenomenon?

Bless your heart.

Reactions: UncleMark
I was playing around with ChatGPT and told it to write a negative poem about Trump.... it did that fine. I then told it to write a negative poem about Biden... nope, wouldn't do that. So then I told it to write a negative poem about Hillary...Nope, won't do that. Then I told it to write a negative poem about Pence... did that fine,

And they CEO says there is no political bias. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
A guy I used to work with did a YouTube vid about using the ChatGPT API that's out to write product copy. The first couple of minutes are nerdy stuff about how to set up and use the API with a custom React interface, but starting around 2:40 you can see him actually asking for the prod descriptions. It's pretty simple and knocks out something that would take a while to get started. This a shorter version of what I mentioned about getting the starting structure for blog posts from ChatGPT

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

In a round about way, ChatGPT is actually replacing the marketing associate that should be doing these blog posts instead of me.
Where do I invest?

But they are marketing.

Right in the feelz. I also enjoy doing recorded webinars and podcasts. Can ChatGPT do those for me as well

• Haha
Where do I invest?

But they are marketing.

Right in the feelz. I also enjoy doing recorded webinars and podcasts. Can ChatGPT do those for me as well
Tell me how you really feel about marketing though.

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
To resurrect this, I have been using Grammarly with my work ID for about 18 months. The free version does the basic spell and grammar check but would also tell me the implied tones of the messages I wrote. About 4 months ago, I upgraded to the Pro version that includes their AI functionality. I don't know how I got anything done before. It doesn't really work for contract language, but for proposal content and email responses that need to be precise, it's a life saver. I use a chrome extension and the grammarly application depending on what I'm trying to do.

I'm not getting any sort of kickback from this link. https://www.grammarly.com/

• Wow
Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT