ADVERTISEMENT

Scams..... Have any of you been scammed?

NPT

Aug 28, 2001
There are so many scams out there that it's hard to feel anything is secure. The IRS scams are currently running hot now where someone files your taxes and gets your refund. Personally, I always try to get a PIN number (early in the year) from the IRS which has to be submitted with your return or the IRS will reject the return.
I also use a password manager and make passwords really long. For second step verification I have a lot of places set up to use one of the authenticator programs (I use Authy) but am slowly going to passkeys where possible. So far I've never been scammed but someone did set up a savings account in my name one time. I have alerts set up on all credit cards so I know when something is charged. We only used debit cards to get money from an ATM so the cards are set up so that is the only place they can be used. Besides that they are always
locked except for unlocking them to get money out of an ATM.

Does anyone have the dark web scanned to see what personal information is out there? I have a Google One account so they scan it for me.

Not an expensive shoe guy. I guess the black dress shoes I got for my daughter's wedding. Still under $100.

Tangent -

What are the most expensive shoes you've ever purchased?

Me - maybe $175 Cole Haan loafers

I'm an old school Florsheim guy myself. Wingtips, standard oxfords, tassel loafers, buckle loafers etc. Not sure of their current offerings, it's been years, but I'd reckon the price point of what I paid back then is commensurate with what you paid for those.

These days I wear Nike slides, Skechers Slip ins or these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BX8YV9PP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Reactions: larsIU
He couldn’t afford them.
dirty-feet-in-sandals.jpg

I'VE HEARD OF THIS ONE SCAM THAT SOMEONE FELL FOR WHERE A WOMAN WAS PRIVATELY MESSAGING MEMBERS HERE, SENDING THEM NAKED PICTURES OF HERSELF IN NASTY POSES ALONG WITH CLOSE-UPS OF HER PRIVATE BITS. SHE THEN OFFERED AN IPHONE 15+ IN EXCHANGE FOR MONEY. IT TURNS OUT THAT IT WAS AN IPHONE 6 WITH THE CAPS LOCK STUCK ON. THOSE THINGS ARE SLOW AS HELL.

DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!

In regards to scams, this one is going round and it's hooking a ton of people right now.

It's called the pig butchering scam.

Basically it follows your social media and learns your interests, then sends you a DM or message that's an obvious wrong number, so you text back 'hey you got the wrong number'. Then the person apologizes and tries to start an 'innocent' conversation with you based on your interests.

Eventually it gets you to download an app (because we are so trained to download apps). For example a big one is they talk you into getting into crypto and say they will help you get started!
First you have to download a common cryptocurrency app that's on Google play.

Seems legit so far.

So you download the app and it looks legit. You deposit a little money and start making money on crypto....so you get excited and put more money into it and see even bigger profits!!! Eventually after huge profits you want to sell some and that's where you realize....it's all fake. They have your cash, your bank info etc and have pretty much wiped you out.

Moral of the story, if you get a wrong number or a stranger dming you, just say wrong number and delete it (or better just delete it).

John Oliver broke the whole thing down a couple weeks ago. Here's the piece (don't worry, it's not a political piece).

Only complete idiots fall for shit like this

Reactions: Spartans9312
No knowledge that I've been scammed at least. Although that Nigerian persecuted Christian is taking a long time to reach the states, still, sure he's legit.

But I used to have to review and delete a lot of stuff that was texted or emailed to my Dad's phone or ipad. He'd ask me about some 'renew your subscription' scam or similar phishing for his credit card every week or two. Seemed to have escaped without harm.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
You are speaking like someone that has been scammed

Just relaying a segment about a popular scam that's going round in a scam thread.

Go back to browsing the End Wokeness Twitter handle. I heard there's a really scary looking person that got into an auto accident.

What do you charge for "fun?" JDB wants to know.

I was $10 for handsies, 50 mouth, 100 butt but Alfred two tents down is undercutting me.

I gotta get this homeless group organized and focused on a solid begging strategy, all rowing in the same direction, maximizing locations instead of fighting each other over the same corners.

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
There are so many scams out there that it's hard to feel anything is secure. The IRS scams are currently running hot now where someone files your taxes and gets your refund. Personally, I always try to get a PIN number (early in the year) from the IRS which has to be submitted with your return or the IRS will reject the return.
I also use a password manager and make passwords really long. For second step verification I have a lot of places set up to use one of the authenticator programs (I use Authy) but am slowly going to passkeys where possible. So far I've never been scammed but someone did set up a savings account in my name one time. I have alerts set up on all credit cards so I know when something is charged. We only used debit cards to get money from an ATM so the cards are set up so that is the only place they can be used. Besides that they are always
locked except for unlocking them to get money out of an ATM.

Does anyone have the dark web scanned to see what personal information is out there? I have a Google One account so they scan it for me.
I did but I'm going to recoup my money, next week a Nigerian Prince is going to send me a million dollars.

Reactions: NPT and BradStevens
Tangent -

What are the most expensive shoes you've ever purchased?

Me - maybe $175 Cole Haan loafers
Mephisto’s. They never wear out. I’ve had dress, sneakers and sandals. Worth every penny.

Apex ski boots.

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT