ADVERTISEMENT

Being a man

His money is in his cross body manpurse.

shopping
That’s one of those shirts designed to make your biceps look big.

It's not a purse. It's European.
A couple of decades ago, my wife would wear a fanny pack when we would go to King's Island or Cedar Point with the kids...until we teased her so much, she quit.
Fast forward to now...fanny packs are worn as upper body cross purses, and my daughters wear them all the time. They told my wife she just HAD to have one.
Talk about toxic femininity.

This is a not insignificant portion of females.

This is a not insignificant portion of males.

But, the genie's not going back in the bottle. And even for the women who may desire a more traditional role in the family, they certainly aren't going to take a backseat in other matters anymore. No way. I have a wife. No freaking way.

Men have responded poorly to the reorganization of society. And really well. It's a change that will continue long after we're gone. Especially as we eliminate manual labor from society. Masculinity won't be tied to the physical in the workplace much longer. Women can run a backhoe or a crane just as well as a man. And they're way less likely to be drunk the night before.

Many men currently, moreso in prior generations, derived a great deal of self worth and purpose from their jobs. Their "manly" jobs. Now there are shortages of nurses and teachers. Men should become nurses and teachers. But those numbers still lag. Both require a college degree and we could send our young men there to be nurses and teachers while their sisters are studying chemistry.

Destigmatization would help tremendously. Gender roles, including in the home, have been evolving forever. I have a couple friends whose wives out earn them by miles. Doesn't even feel that strange anymore.
I still think it's weird to see a woman mowing the lawn, but a great many of the manly men expected it, even when I was growing up.

No no. No snarl. They don’t want us anymore. Guys like you and me and cray. Men. Our time is over. Now they like guys like this chalamet guy. Real sweet. They can wear the same jeans. Weighs 124 pounds. That’s what they like now.

I don’t know what we’re gonna do. Probably have to go Texas. See if there’s any interest in us down there.

It’s not over for you. You might just have to have sex with someone your own age. Welcome to life with the rest of us bums 🤣

I guess if you are liberal; you have a hard time being a man; I hate the premis. I can say the same for a few GOP'S. They want to burn down the country following a crooked man They are a bunch of mindless Zombies. Attack the white house. Yep they are quality men alright.

I guess if you are liberal; you have a hard time being a man; I hate the premis. I can say the same for a few GOP'S. They want to burn down the country following a crooked man They are a bunch of mindless Zombies. Attack the white house. Yep they are quality men alright.

Well they are just a deplorable cult don't you know. Just ask Hillary. A comment made again this week. I wonder if that is a great way for Dems to reach out to the other side or appeal to independents who see both sides?

But back to disappearing manly men of the left .......
Where can I get that outfit Jon Lovett is wearing, just sitting left of Hillary?? Nice. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Willdog7
What do you mean by "toxic femininity"?
In General. Females on average score higher than males on the personality trait of neuroticism, defined as anxiety, emotional volatility, and susceptibility to depression. This leads to intolerance of dissent from political orthodoxy and the attempt to require conformity to that orthodoxy. This flows from emotionally driven decisions and behavior and feelings of insecurity.

Of course none of this is predictive of how any particular female would act. . It’s a generality of a group. But I think it’s undeniable that these factors are increasing. The treatment of the judge at Stanford law is one of thousands of examples. That was led by a female, but male liberals joined in.

In general. conservatives on average score higher than liberals on the personality trait of neuroticism, defined as anxiety, emotional volatility, and susceptibility to depression. This leads to intolerance of dissent from political orthodoxy and the attempt to require conformity to that orthodoxy. This flows from emotionally driven decisions and behavior and feelings of insecurity.

Weird, that sounds like a study I read that showed conservative brains having enlarged more active amygdalas, which is the area of the brain that reacts to fear stimuli, and were more emotionally driven and prone to anxiety.

Other studies showed it was no different in men vs women, except it being slightly larger in men.

Hmmmm ...

I think you're living in a 1949 Spencer Tracy fantasy-land where men were real men, sheep were nervous and sore, and women didn't have orgasms.

Men are just as emotional, irrational, and prone to anxiety as any woman. Just visit the free board after a loss and you see it on full display.

Women may be more insecure but that's a different discussion..

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Weird, that sounds like a study I read that showed conservative brains having enlarged more active amygdalas, which is the area of the brain that reacts to fear stimuli, and were more emotionally driven and prone to anxiety.

Other studies showed it was no different in men vs women, except it being slightly larger in men.

Hmmmm ...

I think you're living in a 1949 Spencer Tracy fantasy-land where men were real men, sheep were nervous and sore, and women didn't have orgasms.

Men are just as emotional, irrational, and prone to anxiety as any woman. Just visit the free board after a loss and you see it on full display.

Concur. Or read Coach Blac the Blacademic- he’ll tell ya that men actually handle breakups worse and are more emotionally impacted than women.

Hmmmm ...

The evidence is overwhelming to the opposite of your point.

Moreover, the emperical and temporal evidence confirms my point on a daily basis. Liberal women are the most intolerant of speech and ideas they disagree with. They also report the most anxiety and depression. I mentioned the Stanford law fiasco as an example. It cost Oberin millions to learn that lesson.

The links point out that conservatives are less likely to report neuroticism, belying your point. If you have any link showing otherwise, you should post it.

The only avenue to sustain your point is that liberal women are more likely to seek therapy for various mental disorders than men are.

Last edited:
Good post and topic. There’s been an assault on men and sadly we are a dying breed. There’s some still on this board. Me you cray Hillz hooky ftw Indiana joehoopsier and a few others. Not many. Not enough. Not nearly enough.
But what is a man? And why do you characterize the people you named as "men," "real men," "masculine," or whatever label/characteristic you meant? Genuinely curious. Although I would not characterize myself as a liberal, I do consider myself as being masculine (although the woman in the black SUV driving to work on Monday accused me of having a small penis - or at least that's what I assume the gesture she made with her hand meant).

Oh, and I did lift weights last night. Does that contribute to my masculinity? I like to think that it does, at least when I look in the mirror. I am starting to see actual muscles rather than just flesh covering blobs of fat.

But what is a man? And why do you characterize the people you named as "men," "real men," "masculine," or whatever label/characteristic you meant? Genuinely curious. Although I would not characterize myself as a liberal, I do consider myself as being masculine (although the woman in the black SUV driving to work on Monday accused me of having a small penis - or at least that's what I assume the gesture she made with her hand meant).
That's what she meant if she only used one hand.

Oh, and I did lift weights last night. Does that contribute to my masculinity? I like to think that it does, at least when I look in the mirror. I am starting to see actual muscles rather than just flesh covering blobs of fat.
Let’s put it this way. I was out of town and my friends and I rented a big Escalade. In the middle of nowhere we had a horrible tire blowout on the highway. We were standing on the shoulder of the highway looking completely dumbfounded when my one buddy, who got his mba from thunderbird and has lived all over the world in various finance roles, announced “let’s just change the f*ucking tire.” I immediately felt happy. Then I YouTubed how to change a tire on an Escalade and saw that the video was 20 minutes long and knew that we had zero chance of getting it done.

So we called onstar. They were looking for the nearest dealership to tow us when two kids rolled up in a beat up pickup. Jack and tools in the back. Cutoff shirt. Jeans. Heater hangin from his mouth as he crawled under the suv. I directed traffic while his feet dangled out into the lane. Ten minutes later they had the tire changed. If we had a month we wouldn’t have been able to figure out how the tools worked.

So we gave them three hundred bucks in cash and a bunch of tubes of pot gummies and they drove off like it was Xmas, likely making jokes about us

Men. Not men.

Let’s put it this way. I was out of town and my friends and I rented a big Escalade. In the middle of nowhere we had a horrible tire blowout on the highway. We were standing on the shoulder of the highway looking completely dumbfounded when my one buddy, who got his mba from thunderbird and has lived all over the world in various finance roles, announced “let’s just change the f*ucking tire.” I immediately felt happy. Then I YouTubed how to change a tire on an Escalade and saw that the video was 20 minutes long and knew that we had zero chance of getting it done.

So we called onstar. They were looking for the nearest dealership to tow us when two kids rolled up in a beat up pickup. Jack and tools in the back. Cutoff shirt. Jeans. Heater hangin from his mouth as he crawled under the suv. I directed traffic while his feet dangled out into the lane. Ten minutes later they had the tire changed. If we had a month we wouldn’t have been able to figure out how the tools worked.

So we gave them three hundred bucks in cash and a bunch of tubes of pot gummies and they drove off like it was Xmas, likely making jokes about us

Men. Not men.

You should have called Stoll. He could have got the job done.

Men. Not men.
:(

I drove a Tahoe for years. Had one flat, on an interstate while pulling our 28’ trailer on the rear. . Told my stoker I ain’t touching it, and called AAA. While we were waiting, a state trooper stopped and offered to change it. I thanked him but said we had it covered. I wrote a real nice letter to HDQ about that trooper.

i Never thought changing a tire was a big deal. But if the ‘Slade is like the Tahoe, the hardest part is getting the spare out from under the back end.

Reactions: NPT and mcmurtry66
:(

I drove a Tahoe for years. Had one flat, on an interstate while pulling our 28’ trailer on the rear. . Told my stoker I ain’t touching it, and called AAA. While we were waiting, a state trooper stopped and offered to change it. I thanked him but said we had it covered. I wrote a real nice letter to HDQ about that trooper.

i Never thought changing a tire was a big deal. But if the ‘Slade is like the Tahoe, the hardest part is getting the spare out from under the back end.
Ridiculously complicated. Even the key to open the crap was hard to find

Ridiculously complicated. Even the key to open the crap was hard to find
Yeah, I remember about unlocking that tire. I don’t think GM could have designed a worse system. While the AAA guy and I were screwing around with it, I thought of several ways to make it better, but that might have cost GM another $10 per vehicle.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT