ADVERTISEMENT

A New Birth Of Freedom - Do We Need One?

It would. Kind of like there are uncomfortable things that could be covered in a history class that don't go along with the narrative you like. Africans were the beginning of the slave trade, there were black and Native American slave holders, and invariably there were slaves that used the skills they learned while being slaves to make a living when they were freed. All of that is invariably true but people were up in arms about that being taught in Florida. Why?
By 'you' you don't mean me, right?

I've long said slavery isn't unique to the US, and that just about every modern successful civilization until the mid-1800's were built on the backs of slaves. (Not that the US was the last modern society to ban it.) There is nothing wrong discussing that. However, this is the country we live in, and short of taking a specific class on the history of slavery, US history taught in HS shouldn't be compelled to do more than mention it.

You think a HS US history class should put in ample time on the slave trading in other countries? It should be no more than a footnote, and it wouldn't excuse our reliance on it beyond pounding our chest declaring freedom.

Side note: In the US, six states didn't initially ratify the 13th Amendment. Kentucky, the final holdout, didn't ratify the 13th Amendment until 1976.

I took an International Relations class in HS. We each spent half the semester on a topic of our choosing to prep for our mock trial final. We had a list of about 30 suggested topics but could bring up own. I got roped into the Israel/Palestinian question on the side of Palestine. I truly enjoyed the process.

There are historical facts and then there is the narrative. I believe CoH is expressing an issue with the narrative behind all the "facts" that some people would like to push. If the intent is to just lay out the facts and your feelings be damned, then we shouldn't have an issue with the Florida standards, but you do because those facts make you uncomfortable that a narrative is being pushed.
Facts don't make me uncomfortable at all.

The 1619 project is hot garbage. You can Google the historians on your own that will lay that out. Anyone indicating that brand of "History" has any place in standard curriculum for a K-12 school is an unserious person.
I'm not pushing the 1619 Project for HS education. Part of the curriculum, however, as it was when I went through HS, should be while we declared our independence in 1776, we really didn't mean it for everyone.

You probably wouldn't have liked Carmel HS. Those radical social studies teachers would've had you in a tizzy. They didn't teach American Exceptionalism.

Nothing good about my retort. It was mean spirited, as was your joke. I’m not proud of it, but my disdain for your posting overrides any desire to maintain decorum. In other words, I’ll sling mud back.
I took it as I meant it. A joke.

Some of you guys would benefit from retooling your sense of humor.

I took it as I meant it. A joke.

Some of you guys would benefit from retooling your sense of humor.
You’re joke wasn’t funny. You’re being a complete dick to paying and non paying customers.

You should reverse Danc’s ban but you’re too proud to fix your mistake.

If you’re going to run off paying members can you post the link to cancel subscriptions? I am getting that question.
Following me around from topic to topic and calling me out on others. He had posts pulled by other mods, was banned from a topic by another mod.

All over me deleting a post of which he altered what I said and replied to it. Just deleted it. No admonishment. There was a pretty good discussion going on at that point too, but it was hijack by Dan's verbal diarrhea.

You’re joke wasn’t funny. You’re being a complete dick to paying and non paying customers.

You should reverse Danc’s ban but you’re too proud to fix your mistake.
It was funny when Jimmy Collins told it. I gave context that I stole it from someone. I didn't get offended when he brought my mom into it. You weren't nearly as uptight when your sons were playing basketball. You need go back and find that part of you.

Following me around from topic to topic and calling me out on others. He had posts pulled by other mods, was banned from a topic by another mod.

All over me deleting a post of which he altered what I said and replied to it. Just deleted it. No admonishment. There was a pretty good discussion going on at that point too, but it was hijack by Dan's verbal diarrhea.
You hijack threads. Your humor is offensive sometimes. You never apologize. You plow ahead and everyone is afraid of you. I am not. Reinstate Danc. Love him or hate him he spurs a lot of debate on here. It was petty banning him until September 11. I made a petty mistake with TMP one time and I reversed it.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
LOL

The argument is they benefitted. Amid the murder, beatings, likely emotional abuse, sexual abuse and loss of freedom they benefitted.
You mentioned above that teaching history should include judgimenrs about history. I agree. The question is who gets to make the judgment, the instructors or the students? If you want to believe a slave knowing marketable skills is no benefit fine. But why would you even want to prohibit others from making a different argument?

Some judgments are easy, the holocaust and other atrocities for example. . But the clear majority of historical events are much more ambiguous. One of the purposes of any teaching is teaching students how to think. Don’t think for the students.

Part of the curriculum, however, as it was when I went through HS, should be while we declared our independence in 1776, we really didn't mean it for everyone.
This!

Viewing the 18th Century Declaration of Independence through a 21st century race lens is, in my judgment, bad history and bad teaching. The significance of the document in US and world history stands alone. That said, why don’t we teach that slavery in fact ended in many colonies in the immediate aftermath of the Declaration? Is that fact too inconvenient?

You mentioned above that teaching history should include judgimenrs about history. I agree. The question is who gets to make the judgment, the instructors or the students? If you want to believe a slave knowing marketable skills is no benefit fine. But why would you even want to prohibit others from making a different argument?

Some judgments are easy, the holocaust and other atrocities for example. . But the clear majority of historical events are much more ambiguous. One of the purposes of any teaching is teaching students how to think. Don’t think for the students.
I didn't say I would prohibit it. Just in all my years I've never heard it presented that way, certainly not a HS level. That's it in an advance study course at a college level isn't part of this discussion.

I think slavery is one of those topics that offer clear thought.

There is no realistic downside to the advancement of rights for people, other than a possible inconvenience for those who no longer benefit from others being held back or held down. They keyword there is 'rights'.

But it is true and it’s history. If you think that makes slavery not seem so bad, that’s 100% on you. You just make it up so you can bitch about it.
I didn’t make anything up. Slavery was all bad. Period. Full stop.

This!

Viewing the 18th Century Declaration of Independence through a 21st century race lens is, in my judgment, bad history and bad teaching. The significance of the document in US and world history stands alone.
If that makes you uncomfortable, so be it. Its significance is still outstanding, practically world shattering at the time, as well as the US being the first country to win its independence from Great Britain through battle. However, it was massively incomplete.
That said, why don’t we teach that slavery in fact ended in many colonies in the immediate aftermath of the Declaration? Is that fact too inconvenient?
They do teach that! It starts the next phase of US history, the split between North and South, not just socially but economically. Stoppage of slave trading, the Missouri Compromise, later Willam Lloyd Harrison and the anti-slavery movement.

Maybe you had crappy HS history teachers.

You hijack threads. Your humor is offensive sometimes. You never apologize. You plow ahead and everyone is afraid of you. I am not.
LOL

I stay on topic, unlike you're doing. I don't talk about other posters, like you are. Having a great discussion with Co.H right now.
Reinstate Danc. Love him or hate him he spurs a lot of debate on here. It was petty banning him until September 11. I made a petty mistake with TMP one time and I reversed it.
No. I've stated my reasons. Move on.

LOL

I stay on topic, unlike you're doing. I don't talk about other posters, like you are. Having a great discussion with Co.H right now.

No. I've stated my reasons. Move on.
Fine, I will find out if I can unban him. Don’t know what’s up with you but you’re being a complete ass. As far as I am concerned you should be permanently banned if you call another poster’s mother a whore.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
f that makes you uncomfortable, so be it. Its significance is still outstanding, practically world shattering at the time, as well as the US being the first country to win its independence from Great Britain through battle. However, it was massively incomplete.
The Declaration was a product of negotiations and compromise. The choice was not this Deckaration or a different one. The choice was this Declaration or none at all. Slavery would have continued with either choice. There is no “however”.

They do teach that! It starts the next phase of US history, the split between North and South, not just socially but economically. Stoppage of slave trading, the Missouri Compromise, later Willam Lloyd Harrison and the anti-slavery movement.
Exactly. The Declaration was the beginning of the end of slavery. I attended a lecture last fall where the lecturer said slavery in the US ended with the 13th Amendment. That’s false in part. He was educated in the 80’s.

The choice was not this Deckaration or a different one. The choice was this Declaration or none at all.

You always leave out an option, the pro-slavery people chose not to end slavery either at that moment or at some point in the future. But that option was was available to them.

You always leave out an option, the pro-slavery people chose not to end slavery either at that moment or at some point in the future. But that option was was available to them.
Yes that was an option. But that option was always separate from the declaration.

By 'you' you don't mean me, right?
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on your opinion.
I've long said slavery isn't unique to the US, and that just about every modern successful civilization until the mid-1800's were built on the backs of slaves. (Not that the US was the last modern society to ban it.) There is nothing wrong discussing that. However, this is the country we live in, and short of taking a specific class on the history of slavery, US history taught in HS shouldn't be compelled to do more than mention it.

You think a HS US history class should put in ample time on the slave trading in other countries? It should be no more than a footnote, and it wouldn't excuse our reliance on it beyond pounding our chest declaring freedom.
I think a HS US History class should spend time telling the relevant facts behind the major points that shaped the country. I also think government schools, when it comes to civics related topics, should try and stay as neutral as possible and if a thumb is going to be put on the scale, it should fall more on the exceptionalism side. The whole "white supremacy look at all the horrible things about America and let's belabor them" is counter productive in public education.
Side note: In the US, six states didn't initially ratify the 13th Amendment. Kentucky, the final holdout, didn't ratify the 13th Amendment until 1976.

I took an International Relations class in HS. We each spent half the semester on a topic of our choosing to prep for our mock trial final. We had a list of about 30 suggested topics but could bring up own. I got roped into the Israel/Palestinian question on the side of Palestine. I truly enjoyed the process.
Arguing from the other side is often a good learning experience. The most holistic approach would be to switch sides and do the debate again.
Facts don't make me uncomfortable at all.
Me either. The thing that can make people uncomfortable is how the facts are used. That is the issue CoH has when he discusses "intent" and it is the fear that people have in Florida about the intent behind the fact slaves used skills acquired in slavery to make a living when freed (in some cases).
I'm not pushing the 1619 Project for HS education. Part of the curriculum, however, as it was when I went through HS, should be while we declared our independence in 1776, we really didn't mean it for everyone.
No issue with the latter, the problem with the former is that it wants to view the entire country's history through one lens. I think that is wrongheaded but if people want to do that wrongheaded navel gazing they are fine to do that in a 300+ level college history course.
You probably wouldn't have liked Carmel HS. Those radical social studies teachers would've had you in a tizzy. They didn't teach American Exceptionalism.
I have a BA in History from IU, I think I would have been capable of handling your old High School's history classes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT