ADVERTISEMENT

Zander at QB with a healthy Jordan Howard is what the offense needs

This is just 1 example, but in last year's PSU game (got to experience Bloomington which was a treat; however, quite a stinker of a game) Indiana threw for 68 yards and rushed for 153 on 40 carries and that was with Tevin Coleman.

In 2013, Sudfeld threw for 321 and the team rushed for 150 against PSU.

From what I've seen watching the Hoosiers the last two years, it's an offense that has a running game built off the passing game. Zander is certainly better this year than last, but Sudfeld is a special QB who can dismantle a defensive secondary which opens up running lanes.

If Sudfeld doesn't play Saturday, as a Penn State fan, I feel relieved
You've broken it down quite well. Even with Sudfeld, IU had trouble creating running lanes for Howard and Redding. The IU O line is a good but not great unit (pass protection is their strength), but they aren't a bruising unit that will create a road grader running game. Sudfeld enables far greater diversity in the offense than does Diamont who, while gutty, is pretty limited as a thrower.

This is just 1 example, but in last year's PSU game (got to experience Bloomington which was a treat; however, quite a stinker of a game) Indiana threw for 68 yards and rushed for 153 on 40 carries and that was with Tevin Coleman.

In 2013, Sudfeld threw for 321 and the team rushed for 150 against PSU.

From what I've seen watching the Hoosiers the last two years, it's an offense that has a running game built off the passing game. Zander is certainly better this year than last, but Sudfeld is a special QB who can dismantle a defensive secondary which opens up running lanes.

If Sudfeld doesn't play Saturday, as a Penn State fan, I feel relieved

I, for one, am not sold on Sudfeld. I think against better defenses he tends to panic. Maybe it's the injury but he absolutely is no threat as a runner when his WRs are blanketed. He throws a nice ball when he isn't under pressure but he's going to see a bunch more pressure now going through the last 8 games than the first 4. The DLs are going to be better across the board.
Not sure Zander is the answer either.
I think we are in the same position offensively as we were last year with a slightly better defense. We have to have both sides clicking to give us a shot this year, IMO.

I, for one, am not sold on Sudfeld. I think against better defenses he tends to panic. Maybe it's the injury but he absolutely is no threat as a runner when his WRs are blanketed. He throws a nice ball when he isn't under pressure but he's going to see a bunch more pressure now going through the last 8 games than the first 4. The DLs are going to be better across the board.
Not sure Zander is the answer either.
I think we are in the same position offensively as we were last year with a slightly better defense. We have to have both sides clicking to give us a shot this year, IMO.
The receivers and TEs last year were not nearly as good as they are this year. Once JH returns to play, the offense this year, with our without Nate, will be better than it was last year. I am just not sure how much better.

The receivers and TEs last year were not nearly as good as they are this year. Once JH returns to play, the offense this year, with our without Nate, will be better than it was last year. I am just not sure how much better.
Let's face it, last year after NS went down our offense sucked, stagnant. I don't see it being a lot better than then this year without him. We're blowing smoke if we think ZD can just step in and keep pace. I like ZD, a sparkplug, but without JH and better WR play, his legs won't win us games. That will be taken away by a good D, and dispite the rhetoric here, PSU's D is very good and will be coached up for IU's game plan. Without the return of at least two missing starters, this will be a very tough game to compete in, let alone win. We have never won there...ever. To think a wounded IU squad is going to go in and just beat them is fan talk. We're 1-17 against them folks. For a reason. Not saying we can't win without our missing players but if we do, luck will have to fall heavily on our side. IU and "the breaks" have rarely been acquainted, but it can happen. I'm waiting to see who plays, on both teams, before getting giddy.

Last edited:
Let's face it, last year after NS went down our offense sucked, stagnant. I don't see it being a lot better than then this year without him. We're blowing smoke if we think ZD can just step in and keep pace. I like ZD, a sparkplug, but without JH and better WR play, his legs won't win us games. That will be taken away by a good D, and dispute the rhetoric here, PSU's D is very good and will be coached up for IU's game plan. Without the return of at least two missing starters, this will be a very tough game to compete in, let alone win. We have never won there...ever. To think a wounded IU squad is going to go in and just beat them is fan talk. We're 1-17 against them folks. For a reason. Not saying we can't win without our missing players but if we do, luck will have to fall heavily on our side. IU and "the breaks" have rarely been acquainted, but it can happen. I'm waiting to see who plays, on both teams, before getting giddy.

And you're 1-1 against us in the last two years.

It's funny reading this board. See 50% saying Hoosiers will win and 50% saying it will be tough to compete. Why that's funny is because our premium board is the EXACT SAME. This will be a good game, folks. And by good, I mean close. We all know it'll be ugly haha

Reactions: IUHarselCo
And you're 1-1 against us in the last two years.

It's funny reading this board. See 50% saying Hoosiers will win and 50% saying it will be tough to compete. Why that's funny is because our premium board is the EXACT SAME. This will be a good game, folks. And by good, I mean close. We all know it'll be ugly haha
Vbg...I guess that's why they call us fans...we blow a lot of air around! Should be one slobber knocking, fart, fall down, stubble game...but somebody's gotta win!

I'm serious. The kid ran for an 80-yard touchdown against Ohio State? You kidding me? He not only did that, but he outran what looks like to me, at least physically, an NFL defense. He can't throw the deep ball the way Nate does, but we don't need that. He can scramble, buy some time and throw 20-yard slants or sideline passes. And he knows how to avoid a sack. He's just quick enough. He had Joey Bosa chasing after him and he was up to it. Let's face it. The kid has intangibles. He's a winner and a leader, and he makes things happen on the field. He creates stuff.

Sorry to say it, but Nate wasn't making good throws before he went out. I think maybe it's time Coach mixed it up a little more at QB. For the rest of our games, if Jordan is healthy, we can really keep defenses off guard with the run and pass because Zander can roll out.

As for the game, I just enjoyed it and tried not to get too emotionally invested in it. The team gave off a good vibe today, and while I'm tired of near upsets, etc., I don't mind this one. I liked how Coach tried to use up as much clock at the end, but he used too much. We should have run two more plays than we did, and when you have a botched snap, that's important to have an extra 10 or 20 seconds. It's also a shame that this board was deprived of the debate of whether we should go for the XP or two. We also can't really say we "deserved" to win because we gave up TD runs of 55, 65 and 75 yards to the same guy. But we slugged it out with the heavyweight champs for four quarters.
Your nuts Zander's long run was because IU faked the sweep and the entire OSU defense jumped on the fake as if Nate was in the game. With time to prepare defenses will not fall for the fake and Zander will continue his 45% completion rate with more interceptions than TD's and IU will not win another game with the possible exceptions of Purdue and Rutgers. He's such a winner that IU won 1 games last year with him at QB and in that game he managed to lead an offense to 13 points against a Purdue defense that a high school team could put 21 on

Reactions: Nihilist Rodgers
I think they knew very early in camp that AD was far and away the most ready #2, with Cameron well behind him. Those who were saying the incoming frosh could be the guy this year weren't close to being accurate.
No because they want to redshirt King because long term he is the QB not Zander

Your nuts Zander's long run was because IU faked the sweep and the entire OSU defense jumped on the fake as if Nate was in the game. With time to prepare defenses will not fall for the fake and Zander will continue his 45% completion rate with more interceptions than TD's and IU will not win another game with the possible exceptions of Purdue and Rutgers. He's such a winner that IU won 1 games last year with him at QB and in that game he managed to lead an offense to 13 points against a Purdue defense that a high school team could put 21 on
You mean "you're" nuts. ... So the Ohio State defense couldn't tell the difference between a 6-6 quarterback and a 6-foot one?

You mean "you're" nuts. ... So the Ohio State defense couldn't tell the difference between a 6-6 quarterback and a 6-foot one?
What was Zander's completion percentage on Saturday ??? Of course they can but all week they prepared for the read option with the halfback getting the ball and their instinct was to go for the halfback. If teams prepare for Zander runs like Saturday will not happen

What was Zander's completion percentage on Saturday ??? Of course they can but all week they prepared for the read option with the halfback getting the ball and their instinct was to go for the halfback. If teams prepare for Zander runs like Saturday will not happen
Your last 30+ posts have been about Zander Diamont.

Reactions: Townsend
Your last 2 posts have been about his posts about Diamont.
Your right there have been more from folks proclaiming Zander to be the greatest leader in the history of football and how he could be the key to future IU success I tend to disagree

Your right there have been more from folks proclaiming Zander to be the greatest leader in the history of football and how he could be the key to future IU success I tend to disagree

I may have missed some posts but I have seen only one saying he should start over Sudfeld. You are being overly critical of Zander as if it is a personal mission to assassinate him. He came in last year in the worst possible situation. He was not ready and the receivers were not ready. Sudfeld struggled with them as well before the injury. You say OSU was not ready or prepared for him this year? He played the entire game against them last year. Players get better over the course of their college careers. Zander will get better and the receivers will get better. I really don't know what he has done to earn your scorn other than failing to do the impossible.

I may have missed some posts but I have seen only one saying he should start over Sudfeld. You are being overly critical of Zander as if it is a personal mission to assassinate him. He came in last year in the worst possible situation. He was not ready and the receivers were not ready. Sudfeld struggled with them as well before the injury. You say OSU was not ready or prepared for him this year? He played the entire game against them last year. Players get better over the course of their college careers. Zander will get better and the receivers will get better. I really don't know what he has done to earn your scorn other than failing to do the impossible.
I like Zander but many on this board have given the impression that Zander is a top rate QB I just disagree and hope he is not ever the starter because I don't believe he has the physical skills. Here's hoping he proves me wrong

I like Zander but many on this board have given the impression that Zander is a top rate QB I just disagree and hope he is not ever the starter because I don't believe he has the physical skills. Here's hoping he proves me wrong
Have to agree. ZD does not look anything like a B10 QB...but, like the man said, looks and a buck will you a cup of coffee. ARE wasn't exactly an intimidating physical specimen... Vbg...but inside he was a monster! He also wasn't the world's best passer either but his total package equalled more than the sum of his parts. Whether ZD got a monster in his belly is yet to be seen. Maybe this week? But its got to be shown, not annointed imo.

Reactions: RBB89
If anyone really thinks IU is better off with Zander than a healthy NS than I don't know what to say. Defenses won't respect Zanders arm strength and consistency. He doesn't have a lot of experience either. He is the number 2 for a big reason.

Have to agree. ZD does not look anything like a B10 QB...but, like the man said, looks and a buck will you a cup of coffee. ARE wasn't exactly an intimidating physical specimen... Vbg...but inside he was a monster! He also wasn't the world's best passer either but his total package equalled more than the sum of his parts. Whether ZD got a monster in his belly is yet to be seen. Maybe this week? But its got to be shown, not annointed imo.
ARE had more skills than Zander has

I'm serious. The kid ran for an 80-yard touchdown against Ohio State? You kidding me? He not only did that, but he outran what looks like to me, at least physically, an NFL defense. He can't throw the deep ball the way Nate does, but we don't need that. He can scramble, buy some time and throw 20-yard slants or sideline passes. And he knows how to avoid a sack. He's just quick enough. He had Joey Bosa chasing after him and he was up to it. Let's face it. The kid has intangibles. He's a winner and a leader, and he makes things happen on the field. He creates stuff.

Sorry to say it, but Nate wasn't making good throws before he went out. I think maybe it's time Coach mixed it up a little more at QB. For the rest of our games, if Jordan is healthy, we can really keep defenses off guard with the run and pass because Zander can roll out.

As for the game, I just enjoyed it and tried not to get too emotionally invested in it. The team gave off a good vibe today, and while I'm tired of near upsets, etc., I don't mind this one. I liked how Coach tried to use up as much clock at the end, but he used too much. We should have run two more plays than we did, and when you have a botched snap, that's important to have an extra 10 or 20 seconds. It's also a shame that this board was deprived of the debate of whether we should go for the XP or two. We also can't really say we "deserved" to win because we gave up TD runs of 55, 65 and 75 yards to the same guy. But we slugged it out with the heavyweight champs for four quarters.

Bump. Ohio State didn't prepare for Zander. This is him today and last year. Our season rests on a healthy Sudfeld. End of Story.

Zander is not that good!

Reactions: biggio7
ADVERTISEMENT