ADVERTISEMENT

Zander at QB with a healthy Jordan Howard is what the offense needs

IUNY

Freshman
Sep 8, 2013
I'm serious. The kid ran for an 80-yard touchdown against Ohio State? You kidding me? He not only did that, but he outran what looks like to me, at least physically, an NFL defense. He can't throw the deep ball the way Nate does, but we don't need that. He can scramble, buy some time and throw 20-yard slants or sideline passes. And he knows how to avoid a sack. He's just quick enough. He had Joey Bosa chasing after him and he was up to it. Let's face it. The kid has intangibles. He's a winner and a leader, and he makes things happen on the field. He creates stuff.

Sorry to say it, but Nate wasn't making good throws before he went out. I think maybe it's time Coach mixed it up a little more at QB. For the rest of our games, if Jordan is healthy, we can really keep defenses off guard with the run and pass because Zander can roll out.

As for the game, I just enjoyed it and tried not to get too emotionally invested in it. The team gave off a good vibe today, and while I'm tired of near upsets, etc., I don't mind this one. I liked how Coach tried to use up as much clock at the end, but he used too much. We should have run two more plays than we did, and when you have a botched snap, that's important to have an extra 10 or 20 seconds. It's also a shame that this board was deprived of the debate of whether we should go for the XP or two. We also can't really say we "deserved" to win because we gave up TD runs of 55, 65 and 75 yards to the same guy. But we slugged it out with the heavyweight champs for four quarters.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORG and hammerman24
Wilson really blew it with time management at the end. He should have called a TO, Instead, he let over 10-15 seconds run and then we got a flag for motion. If OSU committed a penalty giving IU a first down we would not have been able to take advantage. I was screaming..........call TO. Love Wilson, but that was bad.

Reactions: IU40IU
Wilson really blew it with time management at the end. He should have called a TO, Instead, he let over 10-15 seconds run and then we got a flag for motion. If OSU committed a penalty giving IU a first down we would not have been able to take advantage. I was screaming..........call TO. Love Wilson, but that was bad.
I thought it was well managed. How was IU hurt by it?

Reactions: Chriselli
Fifth and sixth downs, evidently. I'm assuming that the people complaining about the TO don't realize that we were at first and goal. We only had four plays regardless of the time.
They panicked and got a false start. Just call TO and regroup.

They panicked and got a false start. Just call TO and regroup.
I didn't see any panic. A kid made a mistake, but it didn't have anything to do with the clock management. A timeout would have let OSU regroup on defense, and they were on their heels. IU just didn't execute at the end, but they played really hard and acquitted themselves well.

Reactions: Kelper and echs86
We saw what scoring with time left on the clock looked like against Southern Illinois. Did we really want to give Ohio State 25 seconds, down by one, with a QB who reportedly can throw it 80 yards and 65 from one knee? We had 40 seconds and three timeouts to run four plays. Milk that clock! CKW botched it against SIU, but nailed it tonight.

i was very pleased with how diamont looked and actually brought the team back from the dead a couple of times. after the game I thought wow the future doesn't look as bad as I feared and he could become a good qb next year and a great one in two years. but he isn't ready yet. Nate has the arm. has the experience. knows how to run the offense. if he doesn't get knocked out today. the Hoosiers might have won.

but I do like diamont and look forward to seeing him lead this team...with Howard next year.

I'm serious. The kid ran for an 80-yard touchdown against Ohio State? You kidding me? He not only did that, but he outran what looks like to me, at least physically, an NFL defense. He can't throw the deep ball the way Nate does, but we don't need that. He can scramble, buy some time and throw 20-yard slants or sideline passes. And he knows how to avoid a sack. He's just quick enough. He had Joey Bosa chasing after him and he was up to it. Let's face it. The kid has intangibles. He's a winner and a leader, and he makes things happen on the field. He creates stuff.

Sorry to say it, but Nate wasn't making good throws before he went out. I think maybe it's time Coach mixed it up a little more at QB. For the rest of our games, if Jordan is healthy, we can really keep defenses off guard with the run and pass because Zander can roll out.

As for the game, I just enjoyed it and tried not to get too emotionally invested in it. The team gave off a good vibe today, and while I'm tired of near upsets, etc., I don't mind this one. I liked how Coach tried to use up as much clock at the end, but he used too much. We should have run two more plays than we did, and when you have a botched snap, that's important to have an extra 10 or 20 seconds. It's also a shame that this board was deprived of the debate of whether we should go for the XP or two. We also can't really say we "deserved" to win because we gave up TD runs of 55, 65 and 75 yards to the same guy. But we slugged it out with the heavyweight champs for four quarters.
Nate this year, hopefull, then Xander next. As for the "debate", no question. Go for two!!

Great game. I do question whether Zander is a good enough passer to lead your team to many more wins. He had one long run but I just think you need Nate healthy at the position to win many more games.

Reactions: Kelper
They were disorganized. And, as I said before ---

IF OSU committed a penalty giving IU a new set of downs, IU would have not been able to take advantage.

IMHO, that's a little bit of an in the moment post. Zander makes us more one dimensional than a healthy Nate. It was documented that Nate was injured at the end of the Wake Forest game. Professional scouts like Nate's size, arm strength and pocket presence.
A healthy Nate and a healthy Howard are what's best for this team. I'm saddened that once again our veteran offensive line couldn't protect the most important man in our lineup.

How do you figure we could have run two more plays?
You are correct. It was first and goal, but still, when things get frenetic like that, knowing there's a little more time left to calm down and really think about a play is better than running it down to six seconds, especially after you take 30 seconds off the clock by running off tackle against that defense. A run play against them down there had no chance. I don't disagree with not giving them the ball back, but we still have to call plays that have a chance of working, and I think our best chance would be to have Zander roll out and try to find the tight end or someone they weren't expecting us to throw to.

IMHO, that's a little bit of an in the moment post. Zander makes us more one dimensional than a healthy Nate. It was documented that Nate was injured at the end of the Wake Forest game. Professional scouts like Nate's size, arm strength and pocket presence.
A healthy Nate and a healthy Howard are what's best for this team. I'm saddened that once again our veteran offensive line couldn't protect the most important man in our lineup.
Our offensive line is good, but who is good enough to block Joey Zosa and Adolphus Washington? Also, was Nate hurt on a sack? I thought it was how he planted his left foot.

The offensive line was outstanding yesterday against the pass rush IMO.

Agreed. Our offensive line was extremely disappointing. I honestly thought we would, at minimum, hold our own up front, but the run blocking was atrocious.

Agreed. Our offensive line was extremely disappointing. I honestly thought we would, at minimum, hold our own up front, but the run blocking was atrocious.

That is a pretty solid, if not great, college defense. The offensive line did a really good job of holding their own. Did they dominate, no, but no O Line is going to dominate the OSU front. Their are guys in the NFL that would struggle to block Bosa and Washington; i.e. the Colts O-Line for example.

The O-line played a solid game. It's kind of hard to look great with Sudfeld and Howard injured. Anyone who thinks Zander is the answer over Sudfeld is crazy. He has some good energy, but the run he broke is a once in a season play. Some of the receivers need to start making plays

No. He is a good backup QB, and if Nate is still hurt, fine. But if Nate recovers, he needs to start.

The OSU D line is arguably the best in college football. Doubt IU sees a better one all season. But PSU and UM are very strong upfront too. Hope IU OL will do a better job protecting the QB (hopefully Nate) nxt wknd at PSU.

Just a few thoughts on the game.

1. Our receivers need to catch the ball!!! There were several drops but the one by Cobbs and one by Graham are the 2 that stick out, both cost us 20+ yard completions, and helped stall out drives.

2. The D looked really good in 1st half and continues to make strides, really outside of 3 plays they looked good most of the day, of course those 3 plays give Elliot 200 yards and 3 scores!

3. Please quit with the Zander over NS and talk of him being the answer next year. I think he played OK yesterday and has a charisma that I like, but lacks the arm strength to go more that 10-15 yard down field and the longer pass play that was complete was under thrown by about 15 yards and the receiver was stopped and just waiting on it to come down and the couple shots down the sideline were under thrown enough to get a PI, so they worked, but not something you can count on.

4. Been very critical of Wilson and the play calling and clock management over the years but it was better yesterday. With that said, why on earth would we fake punt inside the 15 yard line!!!!! In terms of the clock, I would have liked to see a TO before the false start (was yelling at the TV at the time) as it looked like there was some confusion on our part before the penalty, with Suds maybe play it out from there, but that 5 yards was a killer and could have been avoided.

5. I like that Wilson took the points every time we could have yesterday and when we had a 4th down in FG range instead of going for it we took the 3 and looked to play another day.

With all of this said, I am more convinced than I have ever been this year that OSU is not the best team in the country, but for the 1st time all year I am convinced we will go bowling. Of course we have been known to play really well one week against a quality opponent then lay an egg the next week, so in my opinion, next weeks game will tell us a lot about how much this team has grown from the last couple of year

It's Nat's team. You don't demote a qb for twisting his ankle. Don't know about anyone else but I've seen plenty of fire from him. It's a shame ZDs redshirt was burned, probably won't get another chance at one. Bottom line is that if Nat's ready to go, you play him. Having said that I'm far more worried about JH. Without him, the entire offense will bog down imo. Hope he's back soon.

Wilson said in his presser after the game that the coaches decided coming out of camp that ZD was the #2 and wouldn't be redshirted this year.

He also said he hoped he wasn't needed. He wanted to be able to count this as redshirt year. Even said in H-T that if mopup was necessary, he would look past him on the bench. But if Nat went down, he would play.

Well not trying to be argumentative, but last night, he said if the other games so far hadn't been as close as they were, they would have had Zander in before now. Said they decided coming out of preseason they were going to play him and not redshirt him. https://indiana.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1810029 5:30 mark.

Either way, the redshirt is burned and looks like Zander is the #2 now, regardless of when it was decided.

The QUOTE I was referring too came during late summer. They could easily have changed their minds. That article was all I based that on. Sorry...

The QUOTE I was referring too came during late summer. They could easily have changed their minds. That article was all I based that on. Sorry...
I think they knew very early in camp that AD was far and away the most ready #2, with Cameron well behind him. Those who were saying the incoming frosh could be the guy this year weren't close to being accurate.

I think they knew very early in camp that AD was far and away the most ready #2, with Cameron well behind him. Those who were saying the incoming frosh could be the guy this year weren't close to being accurate.
With the amount of experience he's gotten, he would have to have fallen back pretty far. Summer talk was about saving his redshirt, not because anyone else was as good or better, but more about hoping Nat would hold up for the seàson. If ZD doesn't play again, it might look different come end of season.

With the amount of experience he's gotten, he would have to have fallen back pretty far. Summer talk was about saving his redshirt, not because anyone else was as good or better, but more about hoping Nat would hold up for the seàson. If ZD doesn't play again, it might look different come end of season.
But I think Wilson and Johns understood after each of their first four seasons at IU (Wilson's first four, though Johns has experienced this elsewhere) that having a quarterback go from start to finish without missing time due to injury was a pipe dream, and that they couldn't afford to have a neophyte take over like they did last year. That's why AD was never going to redshirt.

Great game. I do question whether Zander is a good enough passer to lead your team to many more wins. He had one long run but I just think you need Nate healthy at the position to win many more games.

He's almost as good a passer as Cardale Jones....which isn't saying a whole lot. I would be worried about #13 for OSU. Apple?
On Zander's run I watched this kid covering our wideout. Right before the play was snapped he chose to get cute/stupid and do a dance move or something that could be interpreted as a taunt before he got into a crouch....focus was shot and Diamont ran right by him while he was not paying attention. Too busy hotdogging, I guess. You guys have some concerns there. It may get exploited because I think he got burned on several plays in the game. You should focus some attention there.

Zander's TD run was great and no question his wheels are much better than Nate's but he looks like a 165 lb 16 year-old. I remember him getting beat up last year. Can't the team put him on some type of a program to add some muscle to his frame? Especially with Howard out we need Sudfeld back there.

I like Zander too but this offense doesn't run without a strong passing game. Which is what Nate normally brings to the table.

It runs... maybe it doesn't run as well or maybe it runs differently, but it runs . . .
Zander's TD run was great and no question his wheels are much better than Nate's but he looks like a 165 lb 16 year-old. I remember him getting beat up last year. Can't the team put him on some type of a program to add some muscle to his frame? Especially with Howard out we need Sudfeld back there.

Didn't the announcers on Saturday say he gained 30 lbs. since last yeat

It runs... maybe it doesn't run as well or maybe it runs differently, but it runs . . .

Didn't the announcers on Saturday say he gained 30 lbs. since last yeat
They were incorrect. He hasn't gained that much weight. Maybe half of that.

This is just 1 example, but in last year's PSU game (got to experience Bloomington which was a treat; however, quite a stinker of a game) Indiana threw for 68 yards and rushed for 153 on 40 carries and that was with Tevin Coleman.

In 2013, Sudfeld threw for 321 and the team rushed for 150 against PSU.

From what I've seen watching the Hoosiers the last two years, it's an offense that has a running game built off the passing game. Zander is certainly better this year than last, but Sudfeld is a special QB who can dismantle a defensive secondary which opens up running lanes.

If Sudfeld doesn't play Saturday, as a Penn State fan, I feel relieved

ADVERTISEMENT