ADVERTISEMENT

Zack Edey: “They’ll have a knee up my butt.”

I agree, call it both ways. Edey will be riddled with fouls every single game. He'll shoot the same amount of free throws as he does, go back to averaging 20 minutes or so a game, and about 8 points less a game. And Purdue will be much less effective than they currently are.
He would shoot less as he plays less...a lot less

And you are wasting your keystrokes trying to explain a rule to a stone.

He would shoot less as he plays less...a lot less

And you are wasting your keystrokes trying to explain a rule to a stone.
I was factoring in the increase in calls for Edey...counterbalanced by the decrease in minutes played he'd see because he'd foul out in probably half as many minutes played, if that. So he'd rapidly shoot 10 free throws a game himself, in 10-15 minutes...before heading to the bench in each half with fouls.

Its typical self centered engineer type thinking. No context outside their own little world.

• Haha
Reactions: Torbin.Bequette
From the Indy Star:

Edey said. "They'll have two hands on my back. They'll have a knee up my butt. Those are just fouls.”

I mean, I feel bad for the guy, but I feel like this is going to backfire.

That dude fouls about twice every trip he gets the ball. So cry me a River.

From the Indy Star:

Edey said. "They'll have two hands on my back. They'll have a knee up my butt. Those are just fouls.”

I mean, I feel bad for the guy, but I feel like this is going to backfire.

might not be a knee. more likely to be a tent pole from all that time he is camping in the lane. its ridiculous.

I agree, call it both ways. Edey will be riddled with fouls every single game. He'll shoot the same amount of free throws as he does, go back to averaging 20 minutes or so a game, and about 8 points less a game. And Purdue will be much less effective than they currently are.

As for that particular call...at best that call goes both ways in most cases against big guys like Edey, to my original point. They were both jumping for a rebound, yes the Michigan guy was jumping in to Edey, but Edey's arm extended and the Michigan kid went flying. A strong case can be made that Edey displaced the Michigan guy, and very often guys like Edey get called as a result.

None of this touches on literally every single time he posts up or makes one of his patented drop step hook moves...he commits and offensive foul. Not "his fault" he's big. And I think the refs are interpreting it that way right now. But when you get low, push your leg and arm out, and it moves the defender 2 feet, that's a foul. And when you turn in to your defender and your shoulder, legs, and arm push them backwards while your shooting, that's an offensive foul...assuming they're in legal guarding position.

Dickinson also got a way with a ton too, yes.
We must be talking about two separate plays. Edey didn't jump on the play that the dude bounced off him on the rebound. He had both hands on the ball above his head.

Reactions: Bill4411
We must be talking about two separate plays. Edey didn't jump on the play that the dude bounced off him on the rebound. He had both hands on the ball above his head.
Probably not...both going for the ball...Edey got the ball...as Edey got the ball Baker was flying in to him...Edey raised his arms...Baker flew the other way.

Is it the jumping in to Edey that should be called? Is it the displacing of the defender that should be called?

I just rewatched the first two drop step left handed layups that Edey hit. With his right arm up he bumps Dickinson on both plays and knocks him back a bit. Both offensive fouls. A jump hook in the lane, that got a very late foul call a few minutes later...just relooked at that...Edey is pushing or protecting with his front arm...illegal. Should have been an offensive foul.

My point from all of this...be careful about asking for increased foul calls involving Edey. It might end your season if/when it happens in the tournament.

Probably not...both going for the ball...Edey got the ball...as Edey got the ball Baker was flying in to him...Edey raised his arms...Baker flew the other way.

Is it the jumping in to Edey that should be called? Is it the displacing of the defender that should be called?

I just rewatched the first two drop step left handed layups that Edey hit. With his right arm up he bumps Dickinson on both plays and knocks him back a bit. Both offensive fouls. A jump hook in the lane, that got a very late foul call a few minutes later...just relooked at that...Edey is pushing or protecting with his front arm...illegal. Should have been an offensive foul.

My point from all of this...be careful about asking for increased foul calls involving Edey. It might end your season if/when it happens in the tournament.
Ya, and I'm not sure that's what people are wanting. It's the crap that could get him hurt. The pushing, hitting, hanging, pulling. You know how many dudes put an arm bar and lean into him with all their weight? Yet it is only a foul when kaufman does it. I'm not sure edey bumps and pushed anymore than anyone else, but because of his size, it is exaggerated. Dude picks up his arms, his elbows are at the heads of others. If they call that, why wouldn't you put Morton on dick or tjd and let them elbow the shit out of him due to size difference. And every little bump seems him flying sure to size difference.

Basically, idk what the answer is because some of it is edeys sheer size, and he shouldn't be penalized for that. Nor should Dickenson, which, apparently he can just straight up push and deck people, so no worries for him. Lol

Ya, and I'm not sure that's what people are wanting. It's the crap that could get him hurt. The pushing, hitting, hanging, pulling. You know how many dudes put an arm bar and lean into him with all their weight? Yet it is only a foul when kaufman does it. I'm not sure edey bumps and pushed anymore than anyone else, but because of his size, it is exaggerated. Dude picks up his arms, his elbows are at the heads of others. If they call that, why wouldn't you put Morton on dick or tjd and let them elbow the shit out of him due to size difference. And every little bump seems him flying sure to size difference.

Basically, idk what the answer is because some of it is edeys sheer size, and he shouldn't be penalized for that. Nor should Dickenson, which, apparently he can just straight up push and deck people, so no worries for him. Lol
Dude, I would think even you have to admit Edey's certainly not getting "extra" fouls called on him because of his size when he's averaging fewer than 2 fouls a game? For a starting post player? That's ludicrous. Heck, I didn't even felt like I'd played my hardest if I didn't have 3 fouls in a game. I wanted to know where the limits were!

If anything, I think his size keeps him from getting fouls called on him and would probably increase fouls called against him. Much of what a ref is going to call is going to be from body posture and experience. Edey can exert far more force than someone smaller, so he can more easily move guys without appearing to. Conversely, if someone say 6'7" and 220 is trying to move him, they are going to be exagerrated stance and straining muscles, compared to trying to move someone out of the paint who is more their size.

I don't think anyone associated with PU has any grounds to complain, unless you're also going to admit he should have more fouls called on him. <2/game is ridiculous.

I was factoring in the increase in calls for Edey...counterbalanced by the decrease in minutes played he'd see because he'd foul out in probably half as many minutes played, if that. So he'd rapidly shoot 10 free throws a game himself, in 10-15 minutes...before heading to the bench in each half with fouls.

Its typical self centered engineer type thinking. No context outside their own little world.
Ahhhhh, got it,.

Like the dude he slung down to the floor...that kinda "crap"?

• Love
Reactions: Bitter and Obsessed

When you put your leg into someone, or your hip, or your arm, and it moves them...that's called displacing someone. And its a foul.

When you make an offensive move, and you use your off/lead arm to clear space, that's a foul.

TONS of people try to do those things, and aren't able to displace the defender...so it isn't a foul. Also tons lead with their off arm and again aren't able to move people or effect the defender...so it isn't a foul.

Edey does displace and does move with his off arm...so its a foul. I think the refs don't call it as such because they understand its because of how big he is, and that everyone else does it. I would imagine there's also some sort of give and take with that at play. He can move people like others can't...should be a foul but we're not calling it...he can absorb more contact like others can't...should be a foul but we're not calling it.

You can't ask for one, and expect that they don't relook at the other. You can, but that would be very Purdueish of you.

Edey has been called for about 20 fouls in the Big 10, which is about 10% of the fouls he actually commits. PU complaining about fouls is ridiculous in general: it is the program cornerstone since Keady.

Every time Edey does a hook shot where he turns towards the lane, he clears out space with his body. This isn't any different than going up to a player and pushing them.

Like the dude he slung down to the floor...that kinda "crap"?
If the refs call that on time, that doesn't happen. Edey has two hands on the ball, clear and obvious possession, and that guys had was stuck in there. Edey was trying to rip the ball away. Foul was correct, but way late

• Haha
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
When you put your leg into someone, or your hip, or your arm, and it moves them...that's called displacing someone. And its a foul.

When you make an offensive move, and you use your off/lead arm to clear space, that's a foul.

TONS of people try to do those things, and aren't able to displace the defender...so it isn't a foul. Also tons lead with their off arm and again aren't able to move people or effect the defender...so it isn't a foul.

Edey does displace and does move with his off arm...so its a foul. I think the refs don't call it as such because they understand its because of how big he is, and that everyone else does it. I would imagine there's also some sort of give and take with that at play. He can move people like others can't...should be a foul but we're not calling it...he can absorb more contact like others can't...should be a foul but we're not calling it.

You can't ask for one, and expect that they don't relook at the other. You can, but that would be very Purdueish of you.
I'm not asking for one and not the other. But to the standard you are mentioning, every player and every team would foul out in the current big ten. So your gripe is bigger than edey. In that rebound at the end, he didn't push anyone or displace anyone. He went straight up for the ball. The dude jumped into him and bounced off. When you jump into a brick wall, you do the same.

Reactions: Roeder
Can we at least stop mispronouncing the poor kid's name?

1a150aee-47e2-4a58-befd-fece330e2107_text.gif

Thanks in advance...
th_coffee.gif

^^^ not sure anyone can fit a knee up Frankenboiler's ass when BoilerN has already inserted his head in there.
Dang. That's so funny I'll probably laugh myself into a 6 pack. Woo. So creative. Kudos to you sir. My head isn't as far up his as yours was woodson when he was hired though.

I'm not asking for one and not the other. But to the standard you are mentioning, every player and every team would foul out in the current big ten. So your gripe is bigger than edey. In that rebound at the end, he didn't push anyone or displace anyone. He went straight up for the ball. The dude jumped into him and bounced off. When you jump into a brick wall, you do the same.
Nope. Very few players actually. He’s using his size advantage very well so far this year. And the refs are allowing him to do it. If there are any games where the refs decide to call them as they should, he’ll get a couple extra free throw attempts before he heads to the bench in foul trouble.

I would guess Edey commits easily 6-8 fouls a game that aren’t being called.

Don’t cry that people are hanging on him or arm barring him. That’s the point of all this.

LOL. This happens to Edey literally every possession. If these are called — and believe me, Purdue hopes some day they will — Edey will shoot 30 free throws and the opponent will foul out three bigs.

Yeah, he’s soft. If I’m Woodson, I’m letting Race check him all game.

Hey, I need 4 together for the Purdue game. I’m willing to pay a little over face for your trouble. Can you put me in the bleachers? No other preferences.
about 2500 a pop for that game, make it 3k cash a pop and I got you.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
Edey is 7'4", so his butt is level with most players' chests and most knees are at his shins. Then how exactly is he getting a knee in the butt? Draw me a diagram of how this is happening.

Edey is 7'4", so his butt is level with most players' chests and most knees are at his shins. Then how exactly is he getting a knee in the butt? Draw me a diagram of how this is happening.
He only thinks it their knee?

I really, really, really hope B10 officials do actually read this.

What Painter and Edey say is true, Edey does get hung all over, all game. He draws a fair number of fouls because of it, but there are quite a lot of no calls as well.

What they fail to mention, for obvious reasons, is how historically few fouls they're calling ON Edey. Usually, guys his size get targeted and called for MORE fouls, just because of their size. That was Shaq's constant complaint, "it isn't a foul just because I'm big". Edey, on basically every post up, every drop step, every move he makes, displaces his defender with his legs and arms. That's a foul by definition of the rule. Last night they were laughing about a play where a Michigan defender bounced a couple feet off Edey, when Edey went up for a rebound. That's displacing, that's a foul on Edey. No call.

I'll gladly take Edey getting called every time he moves his defender out of the way, and every time he turns into a jump hook and bumps his defender back with his shoulder and arm.

Careful what you ask for fellas.
When a player like UM’s Baker misses a shot and follow it and hurtles his body into a stationary Edey and bounces three feet from the impact that is NOT a foul on Edey!

Reactions: Bill4411
They were laughing about that on a rebound where the dude jumped into edey and bounced off. That's not a foul on edey.

If they call that stuff on edey, just call all the times the defenders are arm barring him, pushing him, grabbing him, etc. I thought Dickenson got away with way more stuff than edey. Dickenson about killed Morton. Lol
If the old fashioned rule of 3 seconds in the lane were enforced,Edey would be called for it 16 times a game. He sets up camp in there.

Nope. Very few players actually. He’s using his size advantage very well so far this year. And the refs are allowing him to do it. If there are any games where the refs decide to call them as they should, he’ll get a couple extra free throw attempts before he heads to the bench in foul trouble.

I would guess Edey commits easily 6-8 fouls a game that aren’t being called.

Don’t cry that people are hanging on him or arm barring him. That’s the point of all this.
They called him much closer in non-con since they allow football in conference, but he still had zero issues. So apparently no one knows how to ref him. But again, if they call the latest stuff on edey, I'm putting a guard on TJD and everything will be dramaticised due to size difference.

I'm not crying about it, but have you considered that edey needs to make space because of how hard defenders push against him? If they played him straight up and didn't leverage their weight against him, guessing he wouldn't push as much.

They called him much closer in non-con since they allow football in conference, but he still had zero issues. So apparently no one knows how to ref him. But again, if they call the latest stuff on edey, I'm putting a guard on TJD and everything will be dramaticised due to size difference.

I'm not crying about it, but have you considered that edey needs to make space because of how hard defenders push against him? If they played him straight up and didn't leverage their weight against him, guessing he wouldn't push as much.
You might not be crying about it, but Painter and Edey sure are. Soft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT