ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Ostermann Piece

I like what I have seen from Wiltz but coach Allen needs to turn the defense over to him. It is ironic, that this season it was the OC that caused so much dissension on the team and I wonder if coach Allen didn't have to put so much attention on the defense, it he would have seen it sooner and force need changes on coach Bell earlier.

I like what I have seen from Wiltz but coach Allen needs to turn the defense over to him. It is ironic, that this season it was the OC that caused so much dissension on the team and I wonder if coach Allen didn't have to put so much attention on the defense, it he would have seen it sooner and force need changes on coach Bell earlier.
Remember too that Tuttle had to do a powerpoint presentation to show Allen the dissension in the 2021 locker room. From those articles it sounded as if CTA was totally unaware there was any kind of problems. I could tell, I am not an expert, but it sure seemed something was wrong even the first game and after Tuttle was not named the starting QB. In that situation and a 100 or so players, there had to be players pissed off about who was named starting QB. The OL performance was all on Hiller, not who was QB.

Remember too that Tuttle had to do a powerpoint presentation to show Allen the dissension in the 2021 locker room. From those articles it sounded as if CTA was totally unaware there was any kind of problems. I could tell, I am not an expert, but it sure seemed something was wrong even the first game and after Tuttle was not named the starting QB. In that situation and a 100 or so players, there had to be players pissed off about who was named starting QB. The OL performance was all on Hiller, not who was QB.
Tuttle is the greatest QB in IU history to never translate to the field. So glad I don't need to hear about him anymore. Bazelak engineered a game winning drive vs. Illinois. Tuttle never did anything. The team didn't need Tuttle. They responded to Dexter when he took over. The OL was terrible vs. Penn State so they didn't respond when Tuttle started. Hiller was the issue looking back on it.

Tuttle is the greatest QB in IU history to never translate to the field. So glad I don't need to hear about him anymore. Bazelak engineered a game winning drive vs. Illinois. Tuttle never did anything. The team didn't need Tuttle. They responded to Dexter when he took over. The OL was terrible vs. Penn State so they didn't respond when Tuttle started. Hiller was the issue looking back on it.
I sure hope that's not the first time you've realized this.

• Haha
Reactions: midwolfe
I remember being excited when he transferred in thinking how great he was going to be and then learned he was #3 behind Penix and Ramsey and thinking why am I so excited about a guy coming in to be 3rd string. I also don't see Dexter as the second coming either. Granted he played better than any CB this year because he could run. He was 13-38 for 184 yards with 2 TD and 2 INT. Don't get me wrong he showed promise but it was not clear in my mind he was the answer to our problems.

I am not saying that Tuttle should have been the QB, I wasn't in any practice to make that decision. Still it looked like it did affect the team. Bazelak's game winning drive vs Illinois was possible with some typical but lousy B1G officiating. Was it three PI calls or two, I lost count. I am still glad they pulled that W out.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I am not saying that Tuttle should have been the QB, I wasn't in any practice to make that decision. Still it looked like it did affect the team. Bazelak's game winning drive vs Illinois was possible with some typical but lousy B1G officiating. Was it three PI calls or two, I lost count. I am still glad they pulled that W out.
Illinois had 5 PI's vs PU. It was a trend.

CAM screwed that kid. There was no way he was ready for B1G basketball either year. A step slow on D. But Lander and Tuttle, apples and oranges. After all UTAH thought enough of Tuttle to give him a scholarship and in my mind UTAH's coach is one of the best.
He was getting passed on their depth chart, too. They knew early he was going to struggle.

Reactions: Tegray1
He was getting passed on their depth chart, too. They knew early he was going to struggle.
It makes you wonder just how much they watched him play in person. Down here in Eville, I have found more than a few IU fans that followed him in high school, think he was not good enough for IU.

It makes you wonder just how much they watched him play in person. Down here in Eville, I have found more than a few IU fans that followed him in high school, think he was not good enough for IU.
His Dad was from Greenwood and was a kicker at IU (walk on, I believe), so there was already a connection When we recruited him out of high school. But he was a highly rated Southern California quarterback who wasn’t heavily pursued by the ”local” schools. Lacked a big arm, didn’t have a frame that suggested growth, average athlete, not quick feet. Mobility is obviously huge in CFB now, and he wasn’t going to be a mobile guy.

I have no inside info but locker room problems can ruin a team and a season. If CTA was unaware of this, that is all on him.
If he was aware but did not or could not solve the issue, that is also on him.
I do not think our existing coaches nor players will yield 7-plus win-level teams.
NIL $$ can help bring in players, but only CTA can fire and hire coaching improvements.

Reactions: IUgradman
Do you have inside sources at Utah too? Moroni giving you tips?
You don’t need inside sources to have known that. He didn’t leave midseason because he was getting too many opportunities to play. He was passed on their depth chart by a lesser recruited kid, plus their new OC wanted a more mobile qb.

I have no inside info but locker room problems can ruin a team and a season. If CTA was unaware of this, that is all on him.
If he was aware but did not or could not solve the issue, that is also on him.
I do not think our existing coaches nor players will yield 7-plus win-level teams.
NIL $$ can help bring in players, but only CTA can fire and hire coaching improvements.
If there were serious locker room issues, they never come back and beat MSU. This is a load of trash.

His Dad was from Greenwood and was a kicker at IU (walk on, I believe), so there was already a connection When we recruited him out of high school. But he was a highly rated Southern California quarterback who wasn’t heavily pursued by the ”local” schools. Lacked a big arm, didn’t have a frame that suggested growth, average athlete, not quick feet. Mobility is obviously huge in CFB now, and he wasn’t going to be a mobile guy.
we are talking two different players in the post you quoted. I was talking about Lander in that post.

The defense was a train wreck, just like the offense. Changes need to be made in lots of places.

If there were serious locker room issues, they never come back and beat MSU. This is a load of trash.
There were problems when Bazelak took the starting job despite Tuttle playing #1, Bell was the problem that you missed. Getting Wiliams at QB the OL played harder and Carey at OL then got the OL to play harder at the end of the season.

There were problems when Bazelak took the starting job despite Tuttle playing #1, Bell was the problem that you missed. Getting Wiliams at QB the OL played harder and Carey at OL then got the OL to play harder at the end of the season.
I don't believe this. Tuttle never played well. I'm sure a some players liked him but who cares? Hiller played his favorites also. One of them went through Senior day and once Carey was named he stopped starting and eventually playing at all. Good riddance. The other of Hiller's favorites wasn't playing anymore either. That happens everywhere.

I don't believe this. Tuttle never played well. I'm sure a some players liked him but who cares? Hiller played his favorites also. One of them went through Senior day and once Carey was named he stopped starting and eventually playing at all. Good riddance. The other of Hiller's favorites wasn't playing anymore either. That happens everywhere.
I was never impressed with Tuttle. There is a reason he didn’t impress at Utah - probably the same reason he found it hard to win the job at Indiana. The dual-threat QB model is the one that clearly fits best with this system. We will see what happens going forward. Good luck to Tuttle and Bazelak in finding places better suited for their level of talent.

"Allen needs support now his administration cannot give him."

I wish he would have expanded on this. Not sure I know exactly what he meant. I asked but no answer.

"If [Dolson] encourages donors to take their money to collectives, he’s going to have to cover the loss somewhere else."

Can somebody explain this to me? I don't follow. Collectives?

Why? We don't need another QB that watches the game from the bench. I don't care what he's done for Washington this year. I look at what he did for us. What we need is another Peyton Ramsey. He not only did a great job here, look how he performed at NU and how NU did the years before and after him.
Look what Penix did when he had a decent O line. I think Ramsey’s was a lot better than the current group. That line even made skinny little Zander look decent.

"Allen needs support now his administration cannot give him."

I wish he would have expanded on this. Not sure I know exactly what he meant. I asked but no answer.

"If [Dolson] encourages donors to take their money to collectives, he’s going to have to cover the loss somewhere else."

Can somebody explain this to me? I don't follow. Collectives?
He was saying that the athletic dept can’t give NIL money to athletes and it has to come from boosters. If the AD encourages boosters to give to the NIL collective, it may impact giving to the university.

Thanks! Makes sense.
Part of the problem is the Bloomington business community has never embraced the football program. I remember Glass had to work with some of them to show more support. It was always easier to get support for the basketball program because of the interest level and history of success.

I’m sure there is no shortage of businesses wanting to pay football players in Columbus OH

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT