ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey to the portal? , DD is hearing.

I don't know what his pro prospects are but it's hard to think he'd better on the court at another school than he did this year. Unless he's looking for NIL $.

PU will likely be a top 5 team all season next year, at least until March.

• Haha
Reactions: Florida4IU
I don't know what his pro prospects are but it's hard to think he'd better on the court at another school than he did this year. Unless he's looking for NIL $.

PU will likely be a top 5 team all season next year, at least until March.
Yep and then the bottom will fall off again. They simply dont have the type of guards to succeed in the tourney. Best chance they ever had was with Carson Edwards against Virginia and they blew that one at the end.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I would guess the only way Edey isn't back this next year is if he's just mentally done with college basketball.

He's not likely to get drafted. So he'd have to play his way on to an NBA roster, in all likelihood.

And despite his dominance, I'm not sure he'd have the transfer market that most would assume. I think most coaches around the country would be saavy enough to know that if you're not targeting and dumping the ball down to Edey, A LOT, then he ends up almost being a liability. He isn't a good defender away from the basket. He actually isn't a great help defender either. Sure, he'll get some blocked shots at the rim, but he doesn't block or rebound out of his own area as well as you'd think for his size. He's a pretty poor passer out of double teams. He isn't any sort of threat to handle the ball away from the block. He's dominant when catching the ball on the block. And incredibly efficient when he does so. But Purdue committed to using him on a very, very high percentage of their possessions. Not sure many high majors would want to step back in time, style wise, to do that.

I'm not saying no one would want him. He'd have a lot of teams that would be intrigued, I'm sure. I'm just not sure there'd be a ton of clamoring, that you'd normally get for a NPOY if they were to transfer. And thusly, the NIL market probably wouldn't be enough to lure him away from Purdue.

I would guess the only way Edey isn't back this next year is if he's just mentally done with college basketball.

He's not likely to get drafted. So he'd have to play his way on to an NBA roster, in all likelihood.

And despite his dominance, I'm not sure he'd have the transfer market that most would assume. I think most coaches around the country would be saavy enough to know that if you're not targeting and dumping the ball down to Edey, A LOT, then he ends up almost being a liability. He isn't a good defender away from the basket. He actually isn't a great help defender either. Sure, he'll get some blocked shots at the rim, but he doesn't block or rebound out of his own area as well as you'd think for his size. He's a pretty poor passer out of double teams. He isn't any sort of threat to handle the ball away from the block. He's dominant when catching the ball on the block. And incredibly efficient when he does so. But Purdue committed to using him on a very, very high percentage of their possessions. Not sure many high majors would want to step back in time, style wise, to do that.

I'm not saying no one would want him. He'd have a lot of teams that would be intrigued, I'm sure. I'm just not sure there'd be a ton of clamoring, that you'd normally get for a NPOY if they were to transfer. And thusly, the NIL market probably wouldn't be enough to lure him away from Purdue.
He'd get drafted, but it would be 2nd round. Someone would take him solely for continued development and potential. I think he'd be better off coming back and developing an outside shot. He's got the form, just needs to do it. Basketball career and development is still young. Has that going for him.

Reactions: Bill4411
He'd get drafted, but it would be 2nd round. Someone would take him solely for continued development and potential. I think he'd be better off coming back and developing an outside shot. He's got the form, just needs to do it. Basketball career and development is still young. Has that going for him.
He’s not going to be shooting 3s at Purdue next year even if he comes back lol. Not even sure why Purdue fans would want that.

He’s not going to be shooting 3s at Purdue next year even if he comes back lol. Not even sure why Purdue fans would want that.
Because a big that can shoot threes opens the lane. Pretty obvious. He can hit them in warm-ups. Just hasn't shot them in a game. It's how he gets to the NBA

Because a big that can shoot threes opens the lane. Pretty obvious. He can hit them in warm-ups. Just hasn't shot them in a game. It's how he gets to the NBA
Lol he’s elite at the rim. You don’t even have guys that drive, so it doesn’t matter if the lane is open. Edey taking 3s is a win for the opposing team.

As for that’s “how he gets to the NBA”, that’s pretty laughable as well. Edey shooting 3s doesn’t make him a first rounder. The same way Luka Garza didn’t suddenly become a first round pick when he became a GREAT 3pt shooter. Edey’s issue in the NBA is not a lack of a 3pt shot. It’s a lack of quickness and athleticism. He has a better shot of dropping out of the draft than improving to a first round pick.

Lol he’s elite at the rim. You don’t even have guys that drive, so it doesn’t matter if the lane is open. Edey taking 3s is a win for the opposing team.

As for that’s “how he gets to the NBA”, that’s pretty laughable as well. Edey shooting 3s doesn’t make him a first rounder. The same way Luka Garza didn’t suddenly become a first round pick when he became a GREAT 3pt shooter. Edey’s issue in the NBA is not a lack of a 3pt shot. It’s a lack of quickness and athleticism. He has a better shot of dropping out of the draft than improving to a first round pick.
He would also work on quickness and athleticism... be he needs to be able to shoot as well. He needs to continue to expand his game to go pro and be successful. I'd agree though. Need more athleticism at the 2-4 positions.

He would also work on quickness and athleticism... be he needs to be able to shoot as well. He needs to continue to expand his game to go pro and be successful. I'd agree though. Need more athleticism at the 2-4 positions.
Lol he is physically limited on his quickness and athleticism. That’s not going to get much better. Definitely not enough to make him a first rounder. He doesn’t need a 3pt shot to go pro. Plenty of centers in the NBA don’t gave that capability. He will never be more than a situational center in the NBA because of his physical limitations, not his skills.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Lol he is physically limited on his quickness and athleticism. That’s not going to get much better. Definitely not enough to make him a first rounder. He doesn’t need a 3pt shot to go pro. Plenty of centers in the NBA don’t gave that capability. He will never be more than a situational center in the NBA because of his physical limitations, not his skills.
Sure, but every skill he has helps. Especially if it's a skill that's already somewhat there. Just has to translate to games.

The nba would develop his jumper better then college imo. I think he’s got NBA potential and a long career

Reactions: BoilerN and B1G_Fan
Sure, but every skill he has helps. Especially if it's a skill that's already somewhat there. Just has to translate to games.
He hasn’t made a single 3 in his career. TJD has many videos draining 3s. Until it happens in games, it’s not even “somewhat there”.

He my be ready to get a big contract outside if the NBA , , ,

We will find out just how loyal ZE is to Painter.

Staying at Pu will literally cost him hundereds of thousands of dollars in NIL.

Reactions: Middawg
No it’s not. Being able to play defense more than 5 feet from the basket would help more. He tried against the 17 seed and got smoked.

No it’s not. Being able to play defense more than 5 feet from the basket would help more. He tried against the 17 seed and got smoked.
I mentioned elsewhere he also needs to continue to work on speed and athleticism. You must have missed that one. Will continue to improve. Can it improve enough? We will find out.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Yep and then the bottom will fall off again. They simply dont have the type of guards to succeed in the tourney. Best chance they ever had was with Carson Edwards against Virginia and they blew that one at the end.
Just like IU. College game is all about the guard play, fast good shooting guards is a necessity to make it.

Just like IU. College game is all about the guard play, fast good shooting guards is a necessity to make it.
yep...the Pack/MIller/Wong triad from the U are tearing up the tourney. Throw in a solid big (Omier) who can rebound and defend (he basically pushed around TJD for the entire game) and they are going to be tough to beat.

I'm predicting a U vs SDS final. Find me one bracket who picked that matchup on the final Monday.
And SDS is a very physical team. Would not surprise me if they win it.

Of course UConn is going to shove all that in my face and win it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT