ADVERTISEMENT

Your rotation for the Tennessee X game.

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
I still look for Woody to play an out if whack rotation even though this game doesent mean much other than optics.

Reneau
MgBako
Goode. (galloway not 100%?)
Carlyle
Rice

6- Ballo
7- Cupps
8- Tucker

9-10- PossiblyHatton, then Leal, minor sweat for Galloway, do not see James or Newton. Thoughts?

Would like to see a bunch of Reneau/Mgbako, Goode, and our backcourt vs Marian with Tucker & Ballo. Soooo deep. Goode helps with the Galloway & Newton question marks.

I still look for Woody to play an out if whack rotation even though this game doesent mean much other than optics.

Reneau
MgBako
Goode. (galloway not 100%?)
Carlyle
Rice

6- Ballo
7- Cupps
8- Tucker

9-10- PossiblyHatton, then Leal, minor sweat for Galloway, do not see James or Newton. Thoughts?

Would like to see a bunch of Reneau/Mgbako, Goode, and our backcourt vs Marian with Tucker & Ballo. Soooo deep. Goode helps with the Galloway & Newton question marks.
We will start both Malik and Ballo. Woody has talked about playing smaller, but I think we will start both halves with both bigs, and then when we sub one out we will be small the rest of the half, but will be small the rest of the way. Lineup will be Rice, Carlyle, MM, Malik, and Ballo with Goode, Cupps, Tucker getting the majority of the bench minutes (depending on health of TG and Newton) with Hatton and Leal playing a few mins

We will start both Malik and Ballo. Woody has talked about playing smaller, but I think we will start both halves with both bigs, and then when we sub one out we will be small the rest of the half, but will be small the rest of the way. Lineup will be Rice, Carlyle, MM, Malik, and Ballo with Goode, Cupps, Tucker getting the majority of the bench minutes (depending on health of TG and Newton) with Hatton and Leal playing a few mins
I would say you hit it on the head.

Let's see how clunky or not the two bigs play together. I think it's more about Mgbako being able to close out and defend the perimeter.

I know I'd like to see Woody pick Ballo or Reneau and go with Tucker at the 3 and Mgbako the 4.

Reactions: kkott
how would you rank the starters with Ball handling? i feel we're pretty good in that sense and here is how i would rank them:

1. Rice
2. Raneau
3. Carlyle
4. Mgbako
5. Ballo

how would you rank the starters with Ball handling? i feel we're pretty good in that sense and here is how i would rank them:

1. Rice
2. Raneau
3. Carlyle
4. Mgbako
5. Ballo
TJD had an awful passing game at the start of college career. But he progressed really impressively. Hoping MR can do the same. He has a ways to go.

Reactions: kkott
^^This^^

Woody hasn't shown a lot of creativity in exploring different lineups and combinations. I expect he'll start what he thinks will be our starting rotation and then sub out individually, but not really play with combinations, in the first game. I think he'll want to establish a baseline and then adjust if he doesn't like something he sees.

I know I'd like to see Woody pick Ballo or Reneau and go with Tucker at the 3 and Mgbako the 4.
Barring injury, I think the best you can hope for is grouping when either Ballo or Reneau go to the bench.

not sure how the lineup eventually shakes out but I can't see starting the first game, even an exhibition game, with our $2M free agent on the bench, if he's healthy.
an interesting strategy: starting Ballo and sitting MR. platooning those guys at the 5 and getting them to play flat out every second could wreck opposing teams game preparations. can you imagine as the other team begins their own substitution patterns and their subs have to face MR?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT