ADVERTISEMENT

Yo sleep apnea peeps, anyone switched to Inspire or talked with a doctor about it?

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
I hate my CPAP and thinking about making a switch. Would love some feedback.

This contraption or an implant similar to a pace maker in function is what he's asking about.
cpap-machine1-620x393.jpg

Crap, I just looked up the cost of this new therapy. It costs 30-40k which includes the cost of the surgery. The replacent battery is 17k. I wonder how much insurance reimbursement covers? I use the mask but frequently wake up in the morning with the mask on the floor. I don’t even realize I’m taking it off in the middle of the night.

Crap, I just looked up the cost of this new therapy. It costs 30-40k which includes the cost of the surgery. The replacent battery is 17k. I wonder how much insurance reimbursement covers? I use the mask but frequently wake up in the morning with the mask on the floor. I don’t even realize I’m taking it off in the middle of the night.
I feel your pain and aggravation. It's a curse.

I don't know how you guys could do the machine. That just does not look like anything that could possibly be comfortable. I hope I never have to find out.

Well, on my doctor's advice, I use it, because I like to wake up each morning. Dying in your sleep isn't the worst way to go, but I'm not ready yet.

Reactions: raar2 and twenty02
I don't know how you guys could do the machine. That just does not look like anything that could possibly be comfortable. I hope I never have to find out.

You get used to it, unless you don't. I've used one for 4 years; it was a life changer. The 3rd night of use, I had my first dream in probably 10 years. But some people do struggle with it and absolutely can't adapt. The key is a comfortable mask. Luckily, I had no issues, which is good, because my sleep study showed I stopped breathing over 300 times that night, couple of times for over a minute. Yikes....

Reactions: largemouth
Isn't it easier to just lose weight and not have to worry about using one of those things? Or is it not a weight issue?

Sometimes, but not always a weight issue. I share a building with a dentist that treats sleep disorders, so I see a lot of it first hand. Plenty of skinny people have sleep apnea. Personally, i think a lot of it stems from orthodontic treatment over the years. Almost all orthodontic patients over the last 50 years ended up wearing a headgear thingy at some point with rubber bands that pulled the upper jaw backwards as it also closed the spaces between teeth. The lower jaw naturally followed. In my opinion, that restricted the airway space in certain patients. I believe that is a major contributing factor in my own apnea experience. My lower jaw was pulled WAY back from where it should be. Thankfully, there's kind of a new orthodontic thought process out there that actually pulls things forward, instead of pulling back. I think that may solve a lot of sleep apnea issues as those patients get older.

Isn't it easier to just lose weight and not have to worry about using one of those things? Or is it not a weight issue?

Sometimes, but not always a weight issue. I share a building with a dentist that treats sleep disorders, so I see a lot of it first hand. Plenty of skinny people have sleep apnea. Personally, i think a lot of it stems from orthodontic treatment over the years. Almost all orthodontic patients over the last 50 years ended up wearing a headgear thingy at some point with rubber bands that pulled the upper jaw backwards as it also closed the spaces between teeth. The lower jaw naturally followed. In my opinion, that restricted the airway space in certain patients. I believe that is a major contributing factor in my own apnea experience. My lower jaw was pulled WAY back from where it should be. Thankfully, there's kind of a new orthodontic thought process out there that actually pulls things forward, instead of pulling back. I think that may solve a lot of sleep apnea issues as those patients get older.
Lot of truth to this. Some of you should see a dentist or orthodontist to ask if they can help. Simply expanding the arch can make for a larger airway which can help.

For those with kids, when checking out an orthodontist for braces, DO NOT let them extract teeth. This shrinks the airway. We want the arch expanded to fit the teeth we have. Luckily most of the orthodontists that were extracting teeth instead of expanding are retiring now.

Reactions: I FAN U
Lot of truth to this. Some of you should see a dentist or orthodontist to ask if they can help. Simply expanding the arch can make for a larger airway which can help.

For those with kids, when checking out an orthodontist for braces, DO NOT let them extract teeth. This shrinks the airway. We want the arch expanded to fit the teeth we have. Luckily most of the orthodontists that were extracting teeth instead of expanding are retiring now.

Preach it....

There is an orthodontist right next door to our office. The dentist rarely refers to him because he is absolutely unbending about the need to extract and pull back.

So now the dentist in my building is taking orthotropic courses and gonna treat the patients herself.

Well, on my doctor's advice, I use it, because I like to wake up each morning. Dying in your sleep isn't the worst way to go, but I'm not ready yet.
My grandfather died in his sleep, not kicking and screaming like the rest of the people in the car. On a serious note, I had the apnea test about 10 years ago and was borderline. I have been able to stay away from it so far. Losing some weight helped and I use a nettie pot and take generic flonaise before I go to bed. Hang in there in the use of the machine. This goes for all you guys who use them.

You are so correct about the weight not always being the cause. A guy at my last church was a skinny guy, but he had to use the machine.

Reactions: I FAN U
I snore like it's my job when I let my weight creep up and/or when I'm not drinking enough water. Maybe I need to pay more attention to this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT