ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone taking the Lily drug Mounjaro?

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
I just started it on Friday. My doctor believes this will be a real game changerr. Says it’s the most affective drug on the market since the Statins. Im not that overweight and I was pre diabetic at one time but was able to lower my A1C to 5.4. Mostly im hoping it will cure me of my sleep apnea and help eliminate the belly fat and extra fat around my neck.

By Saturday night I was already feeling like i couldn’t eat as much. In fact I felt bloated all weekend. I understand there are some
Support groups which will help me figure out best practices. Basically my doctor told me I can’t drink or eat desserts while on this. Im gonna need more info than that. I work out hard so I don’t want to lose muscle mass. Curious if anyone else here is on this.

As of now it’s only been approved for diabetes but My doctor says it’s being fast tracked for weight loss and sleep apnea.

I just started it on Friday. My doctor believes this will be a real game changerr. Says it’s the most affective drug on the market since the Statins. Im not that overweight and I was pre diabetic at one time but was able to lower my A1C to 5.4. Mostly im hoping it will cure me of my sleep apnea and help eliminate the belly fat and extra fat around my neck.

By Saturday night I was already feeling like i couldn’t eat as much. In fact I felt bloated all weekend. I understand there are some
Support groups which will help me figure out best practices. Basically my doctor told me I can’t drink or eat desserts while on this. Im gonna need more info than that. I work out hard so I don’t want to lose muscle mass. Curious if anyone else here is on this.

As of now it’s only been approved for diabetes but My doctor says it’s being fast tracked for weight loss and sleep apnea.
Is your question about the weight loss effect? Let me know specifics and I will ask. I potentially have "A Guy". (no this is not BS).

Is your question about the weight loss effect? Let me know specifics and I will ask. I potentially have "A Guy". (no this is not BS).
At this point trying to figure out how often or many meals I need And what will give me enough energy for my workouts. I don’t want to lose muscle mass. Because I felt kinda bloated after a normal sized meal on Saturday im thinking it might be best to have small snacks and maybe one larger meal around lunch. I did this yesterday and it didn’t hurt my stomach. Trying a couple eggs this morning as I know they’re filling and obviously a great source of protein.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Oh and one other potential benefit is I’ve heard patients with ADHD have reported improvements in their condition. This would be big for me.

Oh and one other potential benefit is I’ve heard patients with ADHD have reported improvements in their condition. This would be big for me.
I’ll talk to my buddy and see what he’s got and can can share. Stand by.

Here's some info from my guy.

Mounjaro dot com has a lot of useful information as in more than just ads. It claims 12-25 lbs of weight loss in type 2 diabetes patients (the only approved use to date is for diabetes, not weight loss) - more on this later. I recommend anyone attempt to enroll in the savings program.

I always refer to the US package insert (aka label, aka prescribing information, aka USPI) for details on meds. mounjaro.html (I will reference this below)

side effects
From what I understand, nausea and diarrhea are the most common side effects. These types of drugs are titrated with increasing the dose to allow the body to adjust. This adjustment period is when the nausea occurs as Ive heard. (see section 6.1, table 1 for the rates)
These meds decrease the sensation of being hungry by interacting with hormones that signal that, which is related to nausea, etc.
How it works: https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/weight-loss/tirzepatide-and-weight-loss

How does tirzepatide cause weight loss?​

In addition to helping lower blood sugar, tirzepatide helps with weight loss in a few ways:
  • It signals to the brain that you’re full — so you eat less.
  • It slows the movement of food through your stomach — so you feel full longer
DIET
The best I can tell is that the diet has been a typical type 2 diabetes diet meaning that you can eat carbs, but counting them and managing the total carb load is done. I don’t think it is an overly restrictive diet per se. Otherwise, I have heard stories that people are just not hungry or actually feel full after a small meal.

weight loss

In the USPI link above, go to section 14, table 3 which shows mono therapy (no other diabetes drugs used) and pts lost between 11 and 15 pounds at 40 weeks.

It is only approved for diabetes treatment and weight loss is a positive effect. However, it is being studied for just weight loss by itself and one study has been published on that already.

See this and zoom in to see the charts / it was a non-diabetes weight loss study: NEJMoa2206038

I have heard that some doctors are prescribing it for weight loss “off label”, which they are allowed to do as long as they can get the insurance to cover it. However, having the savings program helps that too.

adhd - I have no info on this. There is a possibility that it might interfere with other meds (I haven’t researched that at length) used to treat adhd, but it is not shared as a benefit or harm.

Mounjaro dot com has a lot of useful information as in more than just ads. It claims 12-25 lbs of weight loss in type 2 diabetes patients (the only approved use to date is for diabetes, not weight loss) - more on this later. I recommend anyone attempt to enroll in the savings program.

I always refer to the US package insert (aka label, aka prescribing information, aka USPI) for details on meds. mounjaro.html (I will reference this below)

side effects
From what I understand, nausea and diarrhea are the most common side effects. These types of drugs are titrated with increasing the dose to allow the body to adjust. This adjustment period is when the nausea occurs as Ive heard. (see section 6.1, table 1 for the rates)
These meds decrease the sensation of being hungry by interacting with hormones that signal that, which is related to nausea, etc.
How it works: https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/weight-loss/tirzepatide-and-weight-loss

In addition to helping lower blood sugar, tirzepatide helps with weight loss in a few ways:
DIET
The best I can tell is that the diet has been a typical type 2 diabetes diet meaning that you can eat carbs, but counting them and managing the total carb load is done. I don’t think it is an overly restrictive diet per se. Otherwise, I have heard stories that people are just not hungry or actually feel full after a small meal.

weight loss

In the USPI link above, go to section 14, table 3 which shows mono therapy (no other diabetes drugs used) and pts lost between 11 and 15 pounds at 40 weeks.

It is only approved for diabetes treatment and weight loss is a positive effect. However, it is being studied for just weight loss by itself and one study has been published on that already.

See this and zoom in to see the charts / it was a non-diabetes weight loss study: NEJMoa2206038

I have heard that some doctors are prescribing it for weight loss “off label”, which they are allowed to do as long as they can get the insurance to cover it. However, having the savings program helps that too.

adhd - I have no info on this. There is a possibility that it might interfere with other meds (I haven’t researched that at length) used to treat adhd, but it is not shared as a benefit or harm.
There are some bugs in the savings program. Was working with patients paying $25/month. Getting a lot of rejections this week.
Almost all prescriptions I am seeing are for weight loss.

There are some bugs in the savings program. Was working with patients paying $25/month. Getting a lot of rejections this week.
I guess my SIL has a friend using it for WL and has nothing but good thing to say so far. SOunds like it does have the "bloat" or feeling of being full quickly as Eppy spoke about. Maybe that is something that wains as everything balances out?

I guess my SIL has a friend using it for WL and has nothing but good thing to say so far. SOunds like it does have the "bloat" or feeling of being full quickly as Eppy spoke about. Maybe that is something that wains as everything balances out?
Hence the weight loss…don’t feel like eating.

TBH, we are seeing good results but if they don’t get the bugs ironed out with the program then it’s going to be for naught. Ain’t very many gonna pay full boat. I had an insurance require an ICD-10 code yesterday. That’s very uncommon for prescription services other than Med B.

Just to add…
If we are going by approved use, the ideal patient for Mounjaro currently would be …low CV risk, maximizing weight loss is a priority and has insurance where payment could be obtained.

Insurance should reject them. These patients are just going to eat more and use it as a crutch.

Does it eliminate excessive methane emissions ?

side effects

DIET

weight loss

This is good information! I need to spend some time on the website. So far I’ve only joined the FB support groups to get some best practices. One decision I’m trying to make is do I continue intermittent fasting or switch to eating a couple eggs in the morning especially on my workout days and then just eat small snacks. I can no longer eat a full meal like I was previously. Ultimately my body will be telling me when to stop eating.

So today at my Wednesday workout I had my trainer do a pinch test to measure the amount of body fat i currently have. I used to do this routinely but stopped for whatever reason. I’ll be doing this more often to measure progress. So today I weighed in at 193.6 and my total body fat was like 29%.

What’s interesting is that my fitness is better now two years later but with a higher body fat number. A couple years ago my first measurement was around 24% and over time I was able to lower it to 18% but interesting enough my weight was only about 6 pounds less than it is now. Still trying to wrap my head around this…and I’ve been on a mostly keto diet for the last 6 months. Except the fricking weekends when I allow myself to have a few drinks and a dessert or two. Basically I lose 3 pounds during the week and put it back on during the weekend.

Funny now that I’m giving up sweets and alcohol while on this I’ll probably lose the weight I should have all along.

This is good information! I need to spend some time on the website. So far I’ve only joined the FB support groups to get some best practices. One decision I’m trying to make is do I continue intermittent fasting or switch to eating a couple eggs in the morning especially on my workout days and then just eat small snacks. I can no longer eat a full meal like I was previously. Ultimately my body will be telling me when to stop eating.

So today at my Wednesday workout I had my trainer do a pinch test to measure the amount of body fat i currently have. I used to do this routinely but stopped for whatever reason. I’ll be doing this more often to measure progress. So today I weighed in at 193.6 and my total body fat was like 29%.

What’s interesting is that my fitness is better now two years later but with a higher body fat number. A couple years ago my first measurement was around 24% and over time I was able to lower it to 18% but interesting enough my weight was only about 6 pounds less than it is now. Still trying to wrap my head around this…and I’ve been on a mostly keto diet for the last 6 months. Except the fricking weekends when I allow myself to have a few drinks and a dessert or two. Basically I lose 3 pounds during the week and put it back on during the weekend.

Funny now that I’m giving up sweets and alcohol while on this I’ll probably lose the weight I should have all along.
All I will add, from personal experience is; OH Alcohol how I hate to love you. You filthy bitch.

Reactions: larsIU and Eppy99

If you give up sweets and alcohol, with or without this drug, you're going to lose weight.

We are going to need before and after pics when you're done. Something in a two piece for Uncle Mark.

If you stopped eating desserts, why would you need medicine for diabetes?

In that case, best practices would be to shoot yourself.
Yeah, if you cut out desserts and drinking, there's a 99% chance your glucose will go down on its own.

All these weight loss programs say they work if you follow a diet and exercise regularly. Well, DUH!

Reactions: JBT Assoc
This drug is on fast track for FDA approval for obesity. My Lilly peeps in town tell me they expect this to be a super-drug.... and could be the first $100B drug in history. May drive Lilly to become the largest drug company by market cap in the world, eclipsing JnJ.

Any advice that starts with “you need to quit drinking” is a nonstarter. Bull. Shit. It’s actually an absurd suggestion.

• Love
Reactions: larsIU
This drug is on fast track for FDA approval for obesity. My Lilly peeps in town tell me they expect this to be a super-drug.... and could be the first $100B drug in history. May drive Lilly to become the largest drug company by market cap in the world, eclipsing JnJ.
So sell all my Dogecoin and buy Lilly? Done.

Reactions: twenty02
giphy.gif

Any advice that starts with “you need to quit drinking” is a nonstarter. Bull. Shit. It’s actually an absurd suggestion.

Yeah I don't think it's really necessary .... may be an issue for diabetics, not sure.... but those just trying to lose weight won't much matter.

It simply works by tricking the brain into feeling full, also slows digestion. Few people I've heard from that are on it claim they no longer have much interest in food and are often full after only a portion of a meal.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
A few years back I lost a lot of weight and went from obese and prediabetic to just a bit overweight, with perfectly normal blood sugar and normal lipids.

I do have arthritic knees, though. Those weekends at the HYPER may have caught up to me. My doctor wants me to lose more weight to help the knees and has suggested Ozempic or Mounjaro, not to lower blood sugar, but to decrease appetite.

These drugs are in a class called GLP1 agonists that basically slow down stomach emptying, so that after you eat you feel fuller much longer. If you typically eat a lot of carbs, it can help with diabetes or prediabetes. But it also helps with appetite, especially evening eating. You know, grab the bag of chips while you watch the IU game...

I haven't tried it yet. I'm not too keen on the idea of an injection, even though I guess it is a painless tiny needle into the belly. Only once a week, even.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT