ADVERTISEMENT

WTF! Sheridan went from Tennessee grad asst to OC in two years!

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Nick Sheridan did not have any OC experience at any level. He had no experience as a tight end coach. He never even played the position in high school.. He was a young journeyman grad asst and one-year QB coach at a couple of places before becoming a graduate assistant for four years at Tennessee. Then hired as the Hoosier quarterback coach who then became the IU tight end coach. And then, presto, he was the OC at Indiana. WTF!

He was making $189,000 as the tigut-end coach and then got a raise to $450,000 when he came offensive coordinator.

It appears that most of his career has been based upon being a nice guy in the right place at the right time.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Nick Sheridan did not have any OC experience at any level. He had no experience as a tight end coach. He never even played the position in high school.. He was a young journeyman grad asst and one-year QB coach at a couple of places before becoming a graduate assistant for four years at Tennessee. Then hired as the Hoosier quarterback coach who then became the IU tight end coach. And then, presto, he was the OC at Indiana. WTF!

He was making $189,000 as the tigut-end coach and then got a raise to $450,000 when he came offensive coordinator.

It appears that most of his career has been based upon being a nice guy in the right place at the right time.
DeBoer recommended him for the job.

If you had posted that when Sheridan got the OC gig, you would look like a genius. Now, after he's fired, you just look like a douche.

Last edited:

If you had posted that when Sheridan got the OC gig, you would look like a genius. Now, after he's fired, you just look like a douche.
That's a silly trope imo. Would DeBeor have actually told Allen not to hire Sheridan? Sheridan was at IU before DeBoer. Allen came to DeBoer and said what do you think. There is no way he would say something negative. No one would in that spot.

Reactions: Mr.IU
That's a silly trope imo. Would DeBeor have actually told Allen not to hire Sheridan? Sheridan was at IU before DeBoer. Allen came to DeBoer and said what do you think. There is no way he would say something negative. No one would in that spot.
Unfortunately, with that post you demonstrated a serious lack of understanding about how the hiring process for coaches works. Coaches don't lie to other coaches regarding their honest opinion about hires/promotions. Unless Sheridan was standing in the room at the time, there is no way DeBoer would have steered Allen into a bad hire by deliberately hiding his true thoughts. I've had to give other coaches and ADs less than glowing evaluations about guys who were close personal friends, especially young guys who I knew were not ready for the job they were seeking.

Sometimes a coach gets it wrong - we all have - but almost never does a coach deliberately mislead another in order to spare someone's feelings. That puts your own credibility at stake. I'm sure DeBoer genuinely believed that Sheridan would be up to the task or he would not have recommended him. I'm equally sure he's disappointed that NS failed and feels some personal responsibility for misjudging NS' ability/readiness for the job.

You have no idea what went on, we do know what was reported and Deboer recommended him to coach Allen as someone that was innovative and ready. Wanting to maintain some consistency coach Allen went with the call of DeBoer. I questioned the hire right away based on how QBs did under him before DeBoer took over the QBs. Sheridan ran the offense like DeBord did while calling plays based on Deboer's play book with no adjustments when the defense changes.

Unfortunately, with that post you demonstrated a serious lack of understanding about how the hiring process for coaches works. Coaches don't lie to other coaches regarding their honest opinion about hires/promotions. Unless Sheridan was standing in the room at the time, there is no way DeBoer would have steered Allen into a bad hire by deliberately hiding his true thoughts. I've had to give other coaches and ADs less than glowing evaluations about guys who were close personal friends, especially young guys who I knew were not ready for the job they were seeking.

Sometimes a coach gets it wrong - we all have - but almost never does a coach deliberately mislead another in order to spare someone's feelings. That puts your own credibility at stake. I'm sure DeBoer genuinely believed that Sheridan would be up to the task or he would not have recommended him. I'm equally sure he's disappointed that NS failed and feels some personal responsibility for misjudging NS' ability/readiness for the job.
You have no idea what went on, we do know what was reported and Deboer recommended him to coach Allen as someone that was innovative and ready. Wanting to maintain some consistency coach Allen went with the call of DeBoer. I questioned the hire right away based on how QBs did under him before DeBoer took over the QBs. Sheridan ran the offense like DeBord did while calling plays based on Deboer's play book with no adjustments when the defense changes.
I haven't been in that situation before so I will defer to your expertise. What I'm suggesting is did DeBoer run to Allen and say "you've got to hire Nick" or did Allen say to DeBoer, "hey what do you think of Sheridan?" And then DeBoer says he's good. This is quite different from DeBoer running to Allen. Did Allen ask DeBoer hey, what do you think of Nick compared to these other x candidates? It seemed a bit preordained to me that Allen wanted the "continuity" with Sheridan and then asked DeBoer for his opinion. I'll take your word that DeBoer gave his honest opinion. That does not mean that DeBoer thought Sheridan would be better than candidates in a potential coaching search. That's on Tom Allen. Moreover, I'd surmise that the extension Sheridan received last year was the call of Tom Allen, hence he gave money back now. It was a terrible call that frankly wreaked of emotion, as the initial hiring of Sheridan appears to have been. And the extension was totally uncalled for giving the middling performance of Sheridan during the year (and I think that's generous). I much prefer the DeBoer type non-LEO just go find the best candidate hiring with an actual search.

DeBoer essentially played CTA. He must have really liked Sheridan. There was literally nothing anywhere to support DeBoer’s recommendation, which CTA parroted. What a douche.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT