ADVERTISEMENT

WR recruiting

Well that's sort of good news... I would've hated to have lost him to KY (even though they do a good job on the recruiting trail)...

I'd hate for us to lose out on both Bell and Jakes, but it looks very possible. I looked at Michigan's recruiting class---#4 ranked. 19 commits, and none listed as WRs.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Thanks for the hot take.

I don't feel good about our chances, but 5%?? I have the (incorrect?) impression that we're still recruiting him hard. Didn't I see somewhere that he was our "#1 priority"? If our coaches thought our chances were 5% would they be working that hard on him?

Has he given any kind of timetable as to when he might commit?

Have to think IU has less than a 5% chance to land Bell (if that). Seems to me the only real carrot IU has is playing basketball in Assembly Hall.
lol 5%.....perhaps you should read his quotes.....all are equal at this point and have been for weeks now. Idk if he comes to IU, but right now the worst you can say is IU has a 20% shot...same as everyone else.

https://247sports.com/Player/George-Karlaftis-45572561

Lol - 5 Star, #1 SDE by 247, #9 overall in the nation

But we did lose a recruit to Ohio State... cause you know how any program ever should expect to hire even the best coach and 1.5 years later never lose a recruit to Ohio State..

Calm down Sparky. I wasn’t one of these Boiler boobs on here claiming they had locked up all these in-state kids. You and your mindless minions were talking about Hunter Johnson, Kirtz, Robbins, Britt, Young. Worked out just like you said. Smh.

Grades? Don't really see a reason it wouldn't be committable, especially if he had other P5 offers.
Having “other” P5 offers has absolutely nothing to do with having a committable offer to IU, he did not at this point in time.

Reactions: 76-1
Having “other” P5 offers has absolutely nothing to do with having a committable offer to IU, he did not at this point in time.

My point was that if he was good enough for other P5 offers, it's not like IU is so stacked at WR it can offer with contingencies at that position.

My point was that if he was good enough for other P5 offers, it's not like IU is so stacked at WR it can offer with contingencies at that position.
I know what you were getting at, but you were/are incorrect, he was not a take at this time, period.

It makes perfect sense unless you are a PU fan, apparently.

Just saying it makes perfect sense doesn't make you right. From an outsider looking in, giving a player that appears to be at least as talented as other targets of the same position an offer he can't actually commit with doesn't really make sense.

I said the same thing on the Purdue board regarding TJ Sheffield. Purdue doesn't have the talent to say no to a kid like that, just because his ND commit went south (no other red flags anyone has alluded to) . Not yet - most likely not ever.

Just saying it makes perfect sense doesn't make you right. From an outsider looking in, giving a player that appears to be at least as talented as other targets of the same position an offer he can't actually commit with doesn't really make sense.

I said the same thing on the Purdue board regarding TJ Sheffield. Purdue doesn't have the talent to say no to a kid like that, just because his ND commit went south (no other red flags anyone has alluded to) . Not yet - most likely not ever.
The fact of the matter is , I am “right” in this case, no matter how much you want to hold your breath and stomp your feet. What you are correct about is being an outsider here, and you have zero idea about IU’s recruiting, so why continue to argue this ? The kid did not have a committable offer at this time.

The fact of the matter is , I am “right” in this case, no matter how much you want to hold your breath and stomp your feet. What you are correct about is being an outsider here, and you have zero idea about IU’s recruiting, so why continue to argue this ? The kid did not have a committable offer at this time.

I never disagreed about that. And have said that at least once. I am asking about the why. I know a little about IU's recruiting, and based on the other WR targets (sans David Bell) and the last 2 classes of WR it doesn't appear that giving a kid like that a non-commitable offer makes sense.

If the staff just didn't like something about him, fine, but why give the offer then? I am merely curious. You said earlier it makes perfect sense, why does it make perfect sense when I just gave a reason it doesn't?

I never disagreed about that. And have said that at least once. I am asking about the why. I know a little about IU's recruiting, and based on the other WR targets (sans David Bell) and the last 2 classes of WR it doesn't appear that giving a kid like that a non-commitable offer makes sense.

If the staff just didn't like something about him, fine, but why give the offer then? I am merely curious. You said earlier it makes perfect sense, why does it make perfect sense when I just gave a reason it doesn't?
Are you really that slow ? They have receivers they like better, just as ND has receivers they like better than Sheffield. But wait, why did ND offer him then, or for that matter, why did PU also have a listed offer to DeMarcus Harris ? Because he is a plan B or C player, he has a committable offer if others don’t jump on board.
You say “ a kid like that” , what do you mean , a 3 star ? LOL.
Real recruiting involves much more than Rivals rankings, and unlike some coaches in this state, our HC sticks to commitments instead of cutting lower guys loose if a guy they like better comes along later in the process.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Are you really that slow ? They have receivers they like better, just as ND has receivers they like better than Sheffield. But wait, why did ND offer him then, or for that matter, why did PU also have a listed offer to DeMarcus Harris ? Because he is a plan B or C player, he has a committable offer if others don’t jump on board.
You say “ a kid like that” , what do you mean , a 3 star ? LOL.
Real recruiting involves much more than Rivals rankings, and unlike some coaches in this state, our HC sticks to commitments instead of cutting lower guys loose if a guy they like better comes along later in the process.

You have a lot of anger. I asked questions, you told me I'm wrong, avoided questions and made accusations. A simple "they don't like him that much" is fine. It still doesn't make "perfect sense" as to why they offered. I understand what a non-commitable offer is, and that teams do it. Not really sure what Purdue's offer has to do with this, I have no idea if it is/was committable or not, nor would I allude to knowing.

You present things like you have additional information, perhaps insider info, but then blast me for just asking questions? Sorry I don't know everything/everyone you do?

You have a lot of anger. I asked questions, you told me I'm wrong, avoided questions and made accusations. A simple "they don't like him that much" is fine. It still doesn't make "perfect sense" as to why they offered. I understand what a non-commitable offer is, and that teams do it. Not really sure what Purdue's offer has to do with this, I have no idea if it is/was committable or not, nor would I allude to knowing.

You present things like you have additional information, perhaps insider info, but then blast me for just asking questions? Sorry I don't know everything/everyone you do?
LOL, my only anger is a PU fan coming to our board and passive aggressively questioning what I’ve repeatedly told you is a fact. Stop with the innocent victim act, “don’t see why it wouldn’t be committable, especially if he has other P5 offers”, “if he has other P5 offers it’s not like IU is so stacked at WR it can offer with contingencies at that position”, “ based on other WR targets and the last 2 classes of WR’s it doesn’t appear giving a kid like that a non- committable offer makes sense”
Well guess what, our staff doesn’t give a crap what makes sense to some PU fan. Harris is a 3 star receiver who was not a take at this time for our staff, whether it makes sense to you or not. And no, I don’t know everything, not even close. But I know when a PU fan is on our board trying to stir the pot.

LOL, my only anger is a PU fan coming to our board and passive aggressively questioning what I’ve repeatedly told you is a fact. Stop with the innocent victim act, “don’t see why it wouldn’t be committable, especially if he has other P5 offers”, “if he has other P5 offers it’s not like IU is so stacked at WR it can offer with contingencies at that position”, “ based on other WR targets and the last 2 classes of WR’s it doesn’t appear giving a kid like that a non- committable offer makes sense”
Well guess what, our staff doesn’t give a crap what makes sense to some PU fan. Harris is a 3 star receiver who was not a take at this time for our staff, whether it makes sense to you or not. And no, I don’t know everything, not even close. But I know when a PU fan is on our board trying to stir the pot.

I wasn't trying to stir anything. I just asked a question and you got hostile. But now you made it fun.

He wasn't a take, according to you that's fact. But you also said you don't know later in the post. So which is it? Fact or you don't know?

And why in the heck would I think any coaching staff cares what I post on a message board? All I know is that Harris would be the highest rated receiver to commit to IU in 3 or 4 years, with plenty of P5 offers to suggest his rating may even undersell his true abilities.

If Harris would have committed to IU, would or would you not be pointing to his offer list and calling it a great pickup? But since he chose someone else, he wasn't a take, no good, IU is set at WR.

I wasn't trying to stir anything. I just asked a question and you got hostile. But now you made it fun.

He wasn't a take, according to you that's fact. But you also said you don't know later in the post. So which is it? Fact or you don't know?

And why in the heck would I think any coaching staff cares what I post on a message board? All I know is that Harris would be the highest rated receiver to commit to IU in 3 or 4 years, with plenty of P5 offers to suggest his rating may even undersell his true abilities.

If Harris would have committed to IU, would or would you not be pointing to his offer list and calling it a great pickup? But since he chose someone else, he wasn't a take, no good, IU is set at WR.
Even for a PU fan you’re slow, he was not a take at this time for the 12th time, and I have never waivered on that fact. Please show me where I said I didn’t know, now you’re just making stuff up.
“Harris would be the highest rated receiver to commit to IU in 3 or 4 years”, according to who ?? LOL. He doesn’t have a Rivals rating and he is a 3 star on 247. Both our WR commits last year were 3 stars, and whoever we end up with this year will be also, don’t worry your little boiler head. Again, please show me where I have “pointed to” any of our recruits and their offer lists or stars, don’t do it. I happen to know where the staff is on this and for some reason, you don’t like it, sorry boilee.
Time to go home to your little gbi pen and worry about your own house, ours is fine.

All bickering aside, there are currently 4-5 guys higher on the board for IU right now than Harris was. Jakes, Carter and Lyles being three of them.

All bickering aside, there are currently 4-5 guys higher on the board for IU right now than Harris was. Jakes, Carter and Lyles being three of them.

Well that makes sense then. Thank you! All Johnsy needed to say was that.

Not sure why I can't have an interest in IU sports as a Purdue fan. Not going to learn much without asking questions.

Well that makes sense then. Thank you! All Johnsy needed to say was that.

Not sure why I can't have an interest in IU sports as a Purdue fan. Not going to learn much without asking questions.
Nor stir the pot ! I told you he was a plan B or C player for IU, what isn’t clear about that ? Oh wait, you are a PU fan.

Kept the home town kid home. Hope he honors his commitment when all is said and done.

I would certainly hope the same if a kid was from Bloomington... I think we can all agree that it would be nice for the best kids in Indiana not to be leaving Indiana at such high rates... can you imagine the bucket games if 30% more of the Indiana kids went to either Purdue or IU

Calm down Sparky. I wasn’t one of these Boiler boobs on here claiming they had locked up all these in-state kids. You and your mindless minions were talking about Hunter Johnson, Kirtz, Robbins, Britt, Young. Worked out just like you said. Smh.

I’m from Chicago ... I don’t follow Indiana high school ball enough to know any better... I also think in all fairness that Danny Hope and Darrell hazell burned a lot of relationships in Indiana; so not really a shocker ...

I didn’t know so many were boasting that we had kids locked that we didn’t have. That said, this class is already outstanding wherever they come from... 2018 will be the last year Brohm and Holt have to paste chicken **** into chicken salad...

I’m from Chicago ... I don’t follow Indiana high school ball enough to know any better... I also think in all fairness that Danny Hope and Darrell hazell burned a lot of relationships in Indiana; so not really a shocker ...

I didn’t know so many were boasting that we had kids locked that we didn’t have. That said, this class is already outstanding wherever they come from... 2018 will be the last year Brohm and Holt have to paste chicken **** into chicken salad...

Do Not Care..... Take it to GBI where someone might...

I would certainly hope the same if a kid was from Bloomington... I think we can all agree that it would be nice for the best kids in Indiana not to be leaving Indiana at such high rates... can you imagine the bucket games if 30% more of the Indiana kids went to either Purdue or IU
I’d love for bucket games to start meaning more than each school barely getting a bowl bid. I truly hope it happens that each team has long sense qualified for a bowl and are playing for New Year’s Day spots.

Reactions: BoilermakerD
I’d love for bucket games to start meaning more than each school barely getting a bowl bid. I truly hope it happens that each team has long sense qualified for a bowl and are playing for New Year’s Day spots.
I'm for whatever hurts them the most...0-12, 5-7, 11-1...win by 70 or win by one...whichever makes them feel the way I've felt the past eight months.

It’s all just on paper now. IU had a fantastic recruiting class in 2013 with 4 kids at 4-star....and only one of them really developed into All Big Ten (Fant) and they others got into issues and didn’t pan out. It’s great to boast about. What really propels a team are 4 and 5-star linemen. OSU and Michigan get them in bunches. 4-star skill guys are great but unless you have linemen to match, you are rarely going to win against teams like that.

Nor stir the pot ! I told you he was a plan B or C player for IU, what isn’t clear about that ? Oh wait, you are a PU fan.

All you said is he is plan B,C. Instead of just ranting and accusing me of random things, Crimson calmly said who were the plan A guys, giving the sound reasoning behind Harris being a plan B.

Just saying things without giving reasoning can lead to misunderstandings. My intent was not to flame, but to understand.

I'd hate for us to lose out on both Bell and Jakes, but it looks very possible. I looked at Michigan's recruiting class---#4 ranked. 19 commits, and none listed as WRs.
Several "experts" are crystal balling Jakes to IU. Things of course could change because they don't call that option the stone cold lock, but I think several feel IU leads for Jakes. As for Bell, he won't be deciding until January of 2019.....so long way to go.

All you said is he is plan B,C. Instead of just ranting and accusing me of random things, Crimson calmly said who were the plan A guys, giving the sound reasoning behind Harris being a plan B.

Just saying things without giving reasoning can lead to misunderstandings. My intent was not to flame, but to understand.
Really, you are going to continue whining about how mistreated you were? Sorry not buying it, I posted that the kid was not a take at this time, the list of receivers we are interested in was posted earlier in this very thread. Yet you continued to go on and on about it not making sense and discreetly taking shots at IU. Sorry you didn’t like the tone of my responses, but if you truly don’t have bad intentions, I suggest you listen when someone tells you something over and over especially when you’re a pu fan on an IU board. Trust me when I say, I know far more about IU’s recruiting than you do, just as I’m confident you know more about pu’s recruiting . And if you think I was ranting, take a look sometime at how IU fans are treated at gbi

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT