ADVERTISEMENT

WR recruiting

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
With Simmon's decommit, we're looking a little then at WR.

We've got Hale & Westbrook as RS JRs, Philyor, Fryfogle, with Hewitt & Marshall coming in this year.

DeMarcus Harris, a kid from Florida, visited this week. He's a "no star" on Rivals, but has 19 offers; however, it looks like he's just now narrowing his list.

I know we have a shot at Bell, but OSU & PU are said to lead.

So my questions:
--Did David Felton make any noise last year on the scout team;
--If anyone knows, what WRs do we have the best shot at right now?

Reactions: vesuvius13

We've got Hale & Westbrook as RS JRs, Philyor, Fryfogle, with Hewitt & Marshall coming in this year.

DeMarcus Harris, a kid from Florida, visited this week. He's a "no star" on Rivals, but has 19 offers; however, it looks like he's just now narrowing his list.

So my questions:

I think I read something that Felton had a pretty big spring, but I'm not sure

No idea about how the current guys are looking but I like what little tape I've seen on Harris. Looks like he could play in the slot early and perhaps with some strength training move to the outside

IU is looking for 3 WRs this class. Harris and Jakes are two names that stick out to me. I would not be surprised if they picked up another tight end instead of a 3rd receiver since Cooper is very athletic. It is still very early so I’d expect the staff not to settle on anyone at this point and to get their guys.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I'm not sure I completely agree with WR coach Grant Heard's recruiting theory. I read where he stated he would be recruiting much taller, bigger WR than the typical 6ft or so WR. He wants guys that are 6-3 or 6-4 and that's great, BUT can they run fast enough to get separation from the secondary?

I think it's a BIG mistake to simply ignore average height WR. In a perfect world our WR would all be 6-4 and run like a deer but it's not perfect out here where I'm from. Lol

I hope Coach Allen and his staff can recruit the offensive side of the ball as well as they appear to be recruiting the defensive side of the ball. Let me add, Gary Cooper looks studly as a TE/WR...I hope we hang onto him!!!

I'm not sure I completely agree with WR coach Grant Heard's recruiting theory. I read where he stated he would be recruiting much taller, bigger WR than the typical 6ft or so WR. He wants guys that are 6-3 or 6-4 and that's great, BUT can they run fast enough to get separation from the secondary?

I think it's a BIG mistake to simply ignore average height WR. In a perfect world our WR would all be 6-4 and run like a deer but it's not perfect out here where I'm from. Lol

I hope Coach Allen and his staff can recruit the offensive side of the ball as well as they appear to be recruiting the defensive side of the ball. Let me add, Gary Cooper looks studly as a TE/WR...I hope we hang onto him!!!

While you need both types, no doubt, I do love the explosive slot guys like Wynn, Harris, and Whop. There's several reasons why, other than just their obvious productivity. First, there are a good # of them since the OSUs and NDs of the word won't take 5'8" or 5'9" guys. Second, they tend to have chip on their shoulder. They tend to be proud guys that were very productive in HS, then overlooked. Finally, they are realisric about their pro hopes. They know the only way they'll even get a look is to be ultra-productive in college.

So my questions:

Looks like we have a decent shot at K. Lyles, a 6'3" kid out of Texas.

Read someone on here say he was just waiting for an offer from his home state school and got one... My attitude is if he felt that way he shouldn't have committed...

I can understand that theory but at the same time, the system allows for this. It's in the players best interest to commit to their best offer. At any time they can trade it in for a better one. That's why most midrange players often commit before the football season. It allows them to lock in a scholarship in case they get hurt. Play really well and new offers roll in...you decommit. It's annoying to get our hope's up but it's the smart play for these kids.

I can understand that theory but at the same time, the system allows for this. It's in the players best interest to commit to their best offer. At any time they can trade it in for a better one. That's why most midrange players often commit before the football season. It allows them to lock in a scholarship in case they get hurt. Play really well and new offers roll in...you decommit. It's annoying to get our hope's up but it's the smart play for these kids.

This kid really had de-commit written all over him from Day 1. He verballed early. In a state we rarely recruit. Began getting other interest during the spring. Was one of 3 guys (along with Bell) on the board for Penn State as a target, although he was definitely behind other guys for them like John Metchie, TJ Sheffield, Dean Engram (Bobby Engram’s kid), John Dunmore, Cornelius Johnson as a prime targets. So, not sure he was a priority for them or even a committable offer for him.

It’s actually good for the kid as he recently made it clear he wanted to stay around the home state. He wasn’t going to realistically look anywhere outside that region. It also gives time for IU to move on and there are plenty of other good prospects we have relationships with in TN, Florida and Texas.

So my questions:

I’m expecting a solid season from Luke Timian. He’s the possession receiver we need like Mitchell Paige.

I’ve never wanted a football recruit more than Bell. No idea how good our chance is but he looks like the real deal. Purdue is scaring me a bit there - their recruiting has been pretty impressive so far.

Hoping Britt goes to Iowa...

I’ve never wanted a football recruit more than Bell. No idea how good our chance is but he looks like the real deal. Purdue is scaring me a bit there - their recruiting has been pretty impressive so far.

Have to think IU has less than a 5% chance to land Bell (if that). Seems to me the only real carrot IU has is playing basketball in Assembly Hall.

Brohm is doing an excellent job, but there's nearly a 0% chance he will be at Purdue when this recruiting class are seniors.

If Tennesse wasn't a complete dumpster fire he would be there this year.

Britt did verbal to Iowa today. That was a no brainer and neither IU or Purdue were close to landing Britt. He was a done deal at Iowa for months.

Iowa has definitely proven they get offensive line players to the NFL. No surprise there. Feeling really good about Bell ending up at Purdue when all is said and done. But things always change and it's crazy to think about but signing day is still six months away

You never know at this point.
He’s not projected to commit somewhere until October. Could be waiting to see how things play out with his top 5.
Personally, I’d rather have a couple 4-star DTs before a skill guy. Bell is good, no doubt. But skill guys are all over the place and a lot of the 3-star kids in FL, TX and other true “football states” are just as good. They just happen to be swimming in a larger pond.

Consider that both IU and Purdue want to lock down the state of Indiana but already 50% of the top 10 players are committing out of state.

This is a season for rumors.
We had other “knowledgeable” posters (both PU and IU on here) that nearly guaranteed that Hunter Johnson, Kirtz, Britt and Craig Young were all going to Purdue. Or, that Tracy would end up at Iowa.

A lot of speculation from people throwing darts blindfolded. The same group that claimed inside info that Romeo Langford would end up at Vanderbilt.

Personally, a lot changes in 6 months and just because a kid verbals does not lock him in anywhere. Guys flip on signing day.

Walk-on Berry may be able to provide minutes at WR. Felton is big and fast, but needed a year to relearn the position, routes, etc. He could play. Luke Shaytovich from Avon is walking on this year.

Hale, Westbrook, Timian, and Whop are solid top 4. After that is a big ?? Fryfogle, Hewitt, and Marshall are young. Maybe have a package for Reese Taylor. Not sure Harris will be more than Special teams.

You never know at this point.
He’s not projected to commit somewhere until October. Could be waiting to see how things play out with his top 5.
Personally, I’d rather have a couple 4-star DTs before a skill guy. Bell is good, no doubt. But skill guys are all over the place and a lot of the 3-star kids in FL, TX and other true “football states” are just as good. They just happen to be swimming in a larger pond.

Consider that both IU and Purdue want to lock down the state of Indiana but already 50% of the top 10 players are committing out of state.

This is a season for rumors.
We had other “knowledgeable” posters (both PU and IU on here) that nearly guaranteed that Hunter Johnson, Kirtz, Britt and Craig Young were all going to Purdue. Or, that Tracy would end up at Iowa.

A lot of speculation from people throwing darts blindfolded. The same group that claimed inside info that Romeo Langford would end up at Vanderbilt.

Personally, a lot changes in 6 months and just because a kid verbals does not lock him in anywhere. Guys flip on signing day.

Craig Young committed to the Purdue coaching staff. Only then to commit to OSU in a little more than a week. Britt has been an Iowa lean the whole time. Hunter Johnson ultimately decided to go to the school on his list that would guarantee him a starting spot his first year available. Purdue and Duke will both have senior QBs. Northwestern locked out cause they had no good QB options

So my questions:

According to Land of 10 (which is a nice site, btw), IU leads for Kevin Barnett, 6'3" 190 lbs 3*** guy from Mississippi. He's rated #34 in Miss. by Rivals. Best other offers are Ole Miss & Duke.

Walk-on Berry may be able to provide minutes at WR. Felton is big and fast, but needed a year to relearn the position, routes, etc. He could play. Luke Shaytovich from Avon is walking on this year.

Hale, Westbrook, Timian, and Whop are solid top 4. After that is a big ?? Fryfogle, Hewitt, and Marshall are young. Maybe have a package for Reese Taylor. Not sure Harris will be more than Special teams.

Not sure I was real clear in my original post.......I'm not concerned about this year. Those 4 guys you mention should be very good. I'm more concerned about the quality and depth going forward. As an example, if Westbrook or Hale decide not to come back for year 5 or one or both blow up and are drafted....or if there are injuries......

Read someone on here say he was just waiting for an offer from his home state school and got one... My attitude is if he felt that way he shouldn't have committed...
That’s not true. NC was full at WR so they wouldn’t accept his commitment. So he committed here. Then one of NCs WR commits got drafted in the first round of the mlb draft (Adams by the Angels). So a ship opened. NC reapproached Simmoms and he committed to them.

As for WRs we are after. Ajahni Carter, Khalib Lyles, Kevin Burnett, David Bell and David Ellis are the main guys right now

That’s not true. NC was full at WR so they wouldn’t accept his commitment. So he committed here. Then one of NCs WR commits got drafted in the first round of the mlb draft (Adams by the Angels). So a ship opened. NC reapproached Simmoms and he committed to them.

As for WRs we are after. Ajahni Carter, Khalib Lyles, Kevin Burnett, David Bell and David Ellis are the main guys right now

Jordan Jakes & DeMarcus Harris?

Read an article on Bell and he says all 5 of his final 5 are equal right now and he wont make a decision until after his season is over.

My post on Romeo was tongue in cheek. I don't really care when any kid commits (ideally as long as it sticks). But I admit I love the early commit as it can help lock a team in and be done earlier, as IU basically was last year. And as per David Bell, very much hope he chooses IU either early or at end of season, let him have his space.

My post on Romeo was tongue in cheek. I don't really care when any kid commits (ideally as long as it sticks). But I admit I love the early commit as it can help lock a team in and be done earlier, as IU basically was last year. And as per David Bell, very much hope he chooses IU either early or at end of season, let him have his space.

If course there was the claim by many that David Bell essentially shut down Romeo in the title game and is a better basketball player as well. I don’t buy into all of that but impressive athlete nonetheless.

If course there was the claim by many that David Bell essentially shut down Romeo in the title game and is a better basketball player as well. I don’t buy into all of that but impressive athlete nonetheless.

It was the semi state and the entire team was guarding Romeo that night. As soon as he crossed half court Romeo would get double and triple teamed.

It was the semi state and the entire team was guarding Romeo that night. As soon as he crossed half court Romeo would get double and triple teamed.

Bell is going to take his visits to those out-of-state programs during the fall and during a game atmosphere. That’s a huge advantage for 3 of the 5 schools. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see the guy blown away by a “white out” frenzy in Happy Valley and commit on the spot......of course, unless Jeff Brohm’s wife follows him on Twitter and then we all know it’s a done deal. vbg.

Reactions: Chriselli
Bell is going to take his visits to those out-of-state programs during the fall and during a game atmosphere. That’s a huge advantage for 3 of the 5 schools. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see the guy blown away by a “white out” frenzy in Happy Valley and commit on the spot......of course, unless Jeff Brohm’s wife follows him on Twitter and then we all know it’s a done deal. vbg.
She already does follow him ;).

So my questions:

DeMarcus Harris to UK.....also, the TE from Ft. Lauderdale

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT