ADVERTISEMENT

Wow! IU recruit wishes he never visited Minnesota - edited title

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
I am dumbfounded. I suppose I should say allegedly.

edit: as you read through this thread and the story becomes less murky, it will become clear that schools have a significant responsibility to recruits and their parents. Minnesota allowed events to occur that resulted in this kids future being trashed - at least in the short run.

Last edited:
For those of us who haven't gotten much news about the Minnesota problem, could you please fill us in on the role of this recruit?

Hopefully it was not him. I did see some posts today saying that other schools had withdrawn their offers. Perhaps this is just an unfortunate coincidence. He is listed as having made a visit to Minnesota on Sept. 2nd.

I am dumbfounded. I suppose I should say allegedly.
Maybe it's not him (though the silence on the point is curious if so).

Maybe he wasn't especially culpable in the scene and he was arguably at least a little more under-age than the rest (though the reports still paint him in a pretty unflattering way).

Maybe he sorta deserves a second chance even if he was involved (though it's not really a second chance if he never suffered any consequence of any kind to begin with ... sorta like with Sampson when IU hired him).

Maybe the story and negative connotations won't really attach to IU if he was the kid involved (though frankly I'm really surprised this whole story hasn't gotten more traction in the national non-sports press).

But ... looking at it from a negative perspective (which might easily turn out to be wrong and misinformed), it seems like such an IU thing to do: gratuitously attaching the University's name to a story with unknown and as yet unknowable repercussions. Hopefully, it's nothing, but it smells clumsy at this early hour.

Hopefully it was not him. I did see some posts todays saying that other schools had withdrawn their offers. Perhaps this is just an unfortunate coincidence.
Apparently, according to some info out there, (and I'm not saying it is true) he was the only recruit, that weekend.

So much for "character" if it is true.
Hell, let's just invite Antonio Allen back then, we can have players that make "First team All-Correctional"

Last edited:
Reactions: IUcolorado
Maybe it's not him (though the silence on the point is curious if so).

Maybe he wasn't especially culpable in the scene and he was arguably at least a little more under-age than the rest (though the reports still paint him in a pretty unflattering way).

Maybe he sorta deserves a second chance even if he was involved (though it's not really a second chance if he never suffered any consequence of any kind to begin with ... sorta like with Sampson when IU hired him).

Maybe the story and negative connotations won't really attach to IU if he was the kid involved (though frankly I'm really surprised this whole story hasn't gotten more traction in the national non-sports press).

But ... looking at it from a negative perspective (which might easily turn out to be wrong and misinformed), it seems like such an IU thing to do: gratuitously attaching the University's name to a story with unknown and as yet unknowable repercussions. Hopefully, it's nothing, but it smells clumsy at this early hour.
"Maybe he sorta deserves a second chance even if he was involved (though it's not really a second chance if he never suffered any consequence of any kind to begin with ... sorta like with Sampson when IU hired him)."

And we saw how that worked out.

Boiler, what's your source on that?
It seems as if the prosecutor refused the case. So the University is doing an administrative investigation and since the recruit is not a student, the school has no jurisdiction at all over the recruit.

It is a situation that without knowing all the facts, its hard to say what should be done.

Per the police report, that's linked in one of the TV news reports in another thread, IF it is our recruit then the only slightly good news is that he would be one of the original two males who were supposedly involved in a consential act that was originally suggested by the female (once again this what I read in the report not "my" take or twist on it)...

Bad look at best. I would have passed on the guy. Don't like it at all...

All that said, as "clearly" wrong as it is to most of us, a high school SR being offered a consential sure thing is probably NOT going to make the correct decision in this scenario more than half the time.

Supposedly, the assault occurred after the consential acts.

Bad idea, compounded by bad judgment, ends up evolving into sexual assault.

Why we didn't pass on this guy is beyond me "unless" legal action was threatened (he may have already signed one of our agreements to honor his scholarship offer prior to his poor judgement in MN), which would explain a lot, like why what sounded a whole lot like a law firm (Baker Agency or something [unless he hired an agent which solves our concerns rather rapidly]) was tweeting about his signing...

Have a hard time believing Fred Glass would go along with it if it wasn't something like the above, unless we have a disgruntled assistant coach who is leaving anyway sticking it to the man on the way out the door... Only the Shadow knows...

Last edited:
Fred Glass would not allow him to come here if their is an issue. It's possible that Hafiz came clean with Tom Allen and Allen went to Glass.

Having re-read the report, the recruit in question did something that was very stupid, very embarrassing and very low-class. Actually low-class would have a been steps up.

But it was not criminal. If it was me I would not be doing press conferences. I would be hiding behind sunglasses, a fake mustache and an oversized hat. I might even want to change my name.

On that much, we can agree...

Now let us sulk in our embarrassment while most of us hope this is all some huge cosmic error...

No argument on who's right or wrong on this one evidently.

Personally, I would have gotten as far away from this kid as possible if I were the one making the decisions...

Reactions: Monday QB
It seems as if the prosecutor refused the case. So the University is doing an administrative investigation and since the recruit is not a student, the school has no jurisdiction at all over the recruit.

It is a situation that without knowing all the facts, its hard to say what should be done.

Prosecutors can and sometimes do decline
possible cases especially when there is a less than 100% cooperatve complaining witness.

The new candy stripes are out before Christmas!!!!

220px-Contemporary_orange-white_striped_prison_uniform.JPG

I suspect we will see an article from Kravitz or Doyle before long that may shed some more light on the situation. Very tough to believe that TA and FG would take a kid that really did something awful. Until then we will just need to rely on the reports from West Laffy and GBI.

That's actually sadly funny...

//in response to mk peters pu fan//

One question though, will they be our new uniforms or pu's?

You are aware that purdu has broken into the top twenty in "the all arrest" teams for 2016 aren't you?

Revel in your ranking. That'll be the only top twenty you guys see in football for quite some time.:confused:;)

Last edited:
Maybe we are trying to match the competition. Check this article out about Utah:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4732430-155/ute-cornerback-hatfield-doubts-hell-play

First they let him stay on the team and then they elect him a team captain.

Now that rates a "Wow!" in my book.

Aggravated robbery and Assualt charges... Wonder what he'll do to make it a trifecta?

And that's one of their team captains!
That...was a telling article. This kid is a repeat just-escaped-being-in-trouble offender. Team Captain...? Wow...

Getting arrested in West Lafayette is MUCH easier than getting arrested in Bloomington.

That's actually sadly funny...

//in response to mk peters pu fan//

One question though, will they be our new uniforms or pu's?

You are aware that purdu has broken into the top twenty in "the all arrest" teams for 2016 aren't you?

Revel in your ranking. That'll be the only top twenty you guys see in football for quite some time.:confused:;)
I'll put Purdue's pi against IU's intent to distribute any day.

Rightly or wrongly taking this kid is the Universlity saying implicitly that this conduct is okay. No in fact it is better than okay. He got a scholarship. And then had press conference to announce it. The bar has been lowered to the point that if there was a video of a group of athletes lined up to have consensual sex with a woman - no problem. No law was broken. In fact, if one of the guys was a walk-on you could reward him with a scholarship. Congratulations. Have a press conference.

I found it incredulous that when AA was a hard core drug dealer nobody associated with the team knew what he doing. Now I am convinced that is was just easier to look the other way.

Reactions: Monday QB
Maybe we are trying to match the competition. Check this article out about Utah:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4732430-155/ute-cornerback-hatfield-doubts-hell-play

First they let him stay on the team and then they elect him a team captain.

Now that rates a "Wow!" in my book.

Aggravated robbery and Assualt charges... Wonder what he'll do to make it a trifecta?

And that's one of their team captains!

The reality is that this behavior is appalling because he was caught.

My guess, and that is all it is, just a guess; is that he signed one of those grant in aid guarentees we give out that serves as a place holder for a scholarship offer (showing that we are serious about the offer) prior to IU having any knowledge of what occurred up in MN. Since there was no arrest we may have literally "had" to honor our end of the agreement. Either that or our entire athletic department is incredibably tone deaf at minimum.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT