ADVERTISEMENT

Wow! IU recruit wishes he never visited Minnesota - edited title

My guess, and that is all it is, just a guess; is that he signed one of those grant in aid guarentees we give out that serves as a place holder for a scholarship offer (showing that we are serious about the offer) prior to IU having any knowlegde of what occurred up in MN. Since there was no arrest we may have literally "had" to honor our end of the agreement. Either that or our entire athletic department is incredibably tone deaf at minimum.

Hafiz, a three-star cornerback, donned an Iowa State cap over an Indiana hat. Much to the pleasure of family and friends in attendance, he took off the Cyclones hat to reveal the Hoosier cap before signing his scholarship papers to finalize his commitment and proceeding early enrollment at IU.

According to the article from the site, it's definitely a scholarship offer and he will enroll early. Maybe there is another side to the story, but it's certainly not a good PR move for a new coach and the program. Be interesting to see if any additional info comes out.

Totally agree with you on that point.
Unless, of course, the kid comes in , learns from the past and is a model citizen, student, graduates and goes on to have a productive life. Or everyone could turn their backs on him, get on their high and mighty pedestals and he could be doomed to a bad future for a mistake in a moment where who knows what pressures were on him. Before everyone goes nuts, I'm not excusing his behavior, but I do believe kids deserve second chances and to learn from past mistakes.

Prosecutors can and sometimes do decline
possible cases especially when there is a less than 100% cooperatve complaining witness.
Or when there is less than a 100% chance of winning the case! Just like a not guilty verdict does not mean the suspect did not do the crime.
;)

Hafiz, a three-star cornerback, donned an Iowa State cap over an Indiana hat. Much to the pleasure of family and friends in attendance, he took off the Cyclones hat to reveal the Hoosier cap before signing his scholarship papers to finalize his commitment and proceeding early enrollment at IU.

According to the article from the site, it's definitely a scholarship offer and he will enroll early. Maybe there is another side to the story, but it's certainly not a good PR move for a new coach and the program. Be interesting to see if any additional info comes out.

We are aware of all of that jwb. He is an early signee and will enroll on 1/6/17.

My conjecture was that we "had" to take him based on what we give as a written guarantee to those we offer that binds us to the offer.

Whether that's the case or not it's still not a good look.

So, to recap, he made a major judgement error and now he has a chance to prove it was just an abbération... He's lucky to get a 2nd chance. Let's see what he does with it.

Lucky for him; Fred, once again, forgot to call me before making an important decision...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sassy61
Unless, of course, the kid comes in , learns from the past and is a model citizen, student, graduates and goes on to have a productive life. Or everyone could turn their backs on him, get on their high and mighty pedestals and he could be doomed to a bad future for a mistake in a moment where who knows what pressures were on him. Before everyone goes nuts, I'm not excusing his behavior, but I do believe kids deserve second chances and to learn from past mistakes.

I will say this on his defense...if he was the only recruit there for the weekend hanging out with ten or more players at a party, it's a very difficult situation for the recruit to be in. Talk about peer pressure...I place a lot more blame on the players than on a recruit that is there with nowhere else to go. He was most likely staying with some of those players, so it's a pretty bad situation for the recruit to be put in.

Apparently, according to some info out there, (and I'm not saying it is true) he was the only recruit, that weekend.

So much for "character" if it is true.
Hell, let's just invite Antonio Allen back then, we can have players that make "First team All-Correctional"
You are equating these two individuals? You might want to edit your post after re-reading it.

I will say this on his defense...if he was the only recruit there for the weekend hanging out with ten or more players at a party, it's a very difficult situation for the recruit to be in. Talk about peer pressure...I place a lot more blame on the players than on a recruit that is there with nowhere else to go. He was most likely staying with some of those players, so it's a pretty bad situation for the recruit to be put in.
But still ...

When I was an undergrad (another university) my roommate was a starting cornerback. The starting safety, who was rumored to be the next year's captain, was arrested for being an accomplice in the murder of a policeman who stumbled upon him and his uncle during a residential burglary. He was granted immunity for testifying against his uncle who was the shooter. This was 1977. I just googled the guy and he was most recently in prison for 8 years for stealing an ATM machine.

Indiana is not a half-way house. You want second chances - go to a junior college or a prep school for a year or two.

I just can't believe he had the balls to hold a press conference.

Last edited:
Actually, (and this is the reason there was no prosecution) the victim intially went along the threesome concept and is said to have initiated it. (Our recruit was one of these original two guys).

That above, along with the phone video that gave the appearance of more than just a little (intial) consent, tainted whatever real criminal court case the victim has against the follow on guys.

Bad idea, poor decisions, evolving (almost predictabally) into a sexual assault scenario.

The original two should have recognized that she was impaired to some degree and not gone for it but that's not how it worked out. The rest should have just left left her alone.

Is what it is. Ugly...

My guess, and that is all it is, just a guess; is that he signed one of those grant in aid guarentees we give out that serves as a place holder for a scholarship offer (showing that we are serious about the offer) prior to IU having any knowledge of what occurred up in MN. Since there was no arrest we may have literally "had" to honor our end of the agreement. Either that or our entire athletic department is incredibably tone deaf at minimum.

he signed that yesterday.

I thought he signed his National Letter of Intent yesterday. Which is why he's able to enroll early.

When I was an undergrad my roommate was

When I was an undergrad (another university) my roommate was a starting cornerback. The starting safety, who was rumored to be the next year's captain, was arrested for being an accomplice in the murder of a policeman who stumbled upon him and his uncle during a residential burglary. He was granted immunity for testifying against his uncle who was the shooter. This was 1977. I just googled the guy and he was mostly in prison for 8 years for stealing an ATM machine.

Indiana is not a half-way house. You want second chances - go to a junior college or a prep school for a year or two.

I just can't believe he had the balls to hold a press conference.
Seriously you're equating this to murder ? There are plenty of examples of kids continuing down the wrong path, just as there are plenty of examples of kids changing course and becoming good citizens. None of us were there, nor do any of us know the kid personally, so I will give the guys who do (our coaches) the benefit of the doubt . Overall our staff has been pretty good at recruiting good kids and avoiding off field issues, while also doing well in the classroom. Yes, they made a poor decision in taking a chance on Allen, which came back to bite them. Pretty sure no one wants a repeat, especially the staff.

Last edited:
I thought he signed his National Letter of Intent yesterday. Which is why he's able to enroll early.
I believe he doesn't sign LOI until February, he signed financial papers which allow him to begin to receive scholarship funds. I believe that ties the school to him , but not him to the school. Could be wrong, but that is how I understand it.

Seriously you're equating this to murder ? There are plenty of examples of kids continuing down the wrong path, just as there are plenty of examples of kids changing course and becoming good citizens. None of us were there, nor do any of us know the kid personally, so I will give the guys who do (our coaches) the benefit of the doubt . Overall our staff has been pretty good at recruiting good kids and avoiding off field issues, while also doing well in the classroom. Yes, they made a poor decision in taking a chance on ,Allen which came back to bite them. Pretty sure no one wants a repeat, especially the staff.

Not at all. I am saying that programs need to be very careful about who they bring in. And IU appears to be doing everything the right way. Look at the Minnesota situation. One or two guys used their "leadership" to create that situation. I would not be surprised if this whole thing is a surprise to the staff. I would think the recruit would have been counseled to keep a low profile. Maybe show up doing charity work somewhere rather than call attention to himself in front of cameras. The camera thing did not work out well for him in Minnesota.

I believe he doesn't sign LOI until February, he signed financial papers which allow him to begin to receive scholarship funds. I believe that ties the school to him , but not him to the school. Could be wrong, but that is how I understand it.

Although I'm with you on the coaches should know best, I'm slipping back towards "wow" on this one...

I've got nothing else to add other than I don't think we have heard the end of this.

Most folks have done things they truly regret. I can think of no better coach than Allen to help this young man gain his balance. Playing at IU for Coach Allen will be a positive experience for him and provide the guidance he certainly needs at this troubling time. Lessons learned.

Yeah, one allegedly takes advantage of passed out females; .

No one has alleged that until now. Please back this up with facts...and be specific.

Recently you have claimed incorrectly that Zander threw KW under the bus, that there were no meth houses in WL, that you knew the gender of my Purdue grad child, and one more I can't recall right now. Now you will fail to back this one up.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
No one has alleged that until now. Please back this up with facts...and be specific.

Recently you have claimed incorrectly that Zander threw KW under the bus, that there were no meth houses in WL, that you knew the gender of my Purdue grad child, and one more I can't recall right now. Now you will fail to back this one up.
LOL. You make me laugh, Brother Courtsensetwo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT